NetGalley

Author Topic: On Google Play...now what?  (Read 872 times)  

Offline munboy

• View Profile
On Google Play...now what?
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:59:52 AM »
Quick question...

I'm in the process of going wide with my trilogy and got 2 of 3 (one is having issues apparently) up and active, but....and I could be completely dumb here...I can't for the life of my find the link I'll use to share the books!

Where are they?

If it's obvious, don't be afraid to call me a dummy as you tell me where to get the link... ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:41:56 AM by munboy »

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
Re: On Google Play...now what?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »
Quick question...

I'm in the process of going wide with my trilogy and got 2 of 3 (one is having issues apparently) up and active, but....and I could be completely dumb here...I can't for the life of my find the link I'll use to share the books!

Where are they?

It's probably obvious, so don't be afraid to call me a dummy as you tell me where to get the link... ;D

That interface is a gem, isn't it?  ::)

I go to https://play.google.com/store/books and search for the book title, then copy-and-paste the URL into the appropriate buy-button on my website.
Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).
Mercedes Vox writes short stories, novellas, and novels with characters running the gamut of human sexual orientations and gender identities. Mercedes resides in a quaint seaside town on Cape Cod with a loving partner and a small menagerie of bossy critters. Take note that chickens are smarter than you think.
Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
Actually, you can get the link from the dashboard. I only found it last night after a month of being on google books.

Just go to the Content tab for the book in question, and there are links halfway down the right hand side for that particular title on Google Play and Google Books.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Actually, you can get the link from the dashboard. I only found it last night after a month of being on google books.

Just go to the Content tab for the book in question, and there are links halfway down the right hand side for that particular title on Google Play and Google Books.

Oy vey. I never spotted that either. Worst interface ever.
Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).
Mercedes Vox writes short stories, novellas, and novels with characters running the gamut of human sexual orientations and gender identities. Mercedes resides in a quaint seaside town on Cape Cod with a loving partner and a small menagerie of bossy critters. Take note that chickens are smarter than you think.
Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »

Well...that's not hidden away at all!  ;D

Thanks. I don't feel dumb anymore.

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • The Disaster Tourist
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »
Well...that's not hidden away at all!  ;D

Thanks. I don't feel dumb anymore.

Thanks for asking that question because I have been dickering around on that site for days and only managing to confuse myself.
Rick Grant
Calgary

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:25:36 AM »
Question #2

I keep getting a "needs action" for one of my books because apparently one of the interior pictures isn't good enough quality...but I used the exact same pictures in the other two books, which were accepted. I'm confused. Anybody have any thoughts?

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »
Yes, I had a book that NEEDS ACTION, and no indication of what it might be. I emailed Support and got a pleasant reply that the book had been published, so no action was needed.

And indeed the NEEDS ACTION warning had vanished.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 07:54:40 AM »
Yes, I had a book that NEEDS ACTION, and no indication of what it might be. I emailed Support and got a pleasant reply that the book had been published, so no action was needed.

Thanks, I guess I'll contact them. Knowing my luck, they'll change the other two books to Needs Action, though.  ;D

Offline RPatton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 08:01:18 AM »

I need to buy you a drink or a box of chocolates or something. Over 6 months and I never saw it.

I hate the interface, but uploading multiple books is a charm. When it comes time to uploading updated books, I sort of look forward to Google Play.

Question #2

I keep getting a "needs action" for one of my books because apparently one of the interior pictures isn't good enough quality...but I used the exact same pictures in the other two books, which were accepted. I'm confused. Anybody have any thoughts?

So all new accounts are are a sort of probationary period. It means they have to approve each book. It usually happens pretty quickly, but there is nothing you can do on your end, everything is done on their end. Also, if you have any questions, definitely use the chat feature. They might be first level support, but they aren't afraid to say, I don't know and I am passing this on to such and such and team and you will hear back from them in 24 hours (or whatever). And guess what? You will hear back from them in that time frame. Their support is responsive. While they might not give you the answer you want to hear, they will definitely give you as much help as they can.

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
With NEEDS ACTION, when it says the cover is low quality, just upload the cover again. That always fixes it for me.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
With NEEDS ACTION, when it says the cover is low quality, just upload the cover again. That always fixes it for me.

I don't think it's the cover, though. It says poor image quality in the summary tab, but in the content tab, it shows the epub as pending content not the cover image, leading me to believe it's an interior image...though I could be wrong to assume that?

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 09:28:31 AM »
Try anyway - it's really easy to upload the cover a second time.  Every time I've seen this error message uploading the cover fixed it.

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Try anyway - it's really easy to upload the cover a second time.  Every time I've seen this error message uploading the cover fixed it.

Will do. Thanks!

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »

This worked. Got a reply email the same day (imagine that) saying everything is good to go.  ;D

Offline Spin52

• Seattle and Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 10:18:04 AM »
I've been accepted for a GooglePlay account and have been dithering about taking it up because of various reported problems. I'm not sure this thread has reassured or frightened me, but I think I'm about ready to take the plunge.

Tradtional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes
Facebook | Amazon author page | D2D author page

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »
I've been accepted for a GooglePlay account and have been dithering about taking it up because of various reported problems. I'm not sure this thread has reassured or frightened me, but I think I'm about ready to take the plunge.

Their interface is utter crap, but once you get into it, you start to work things out....and as noted, their customer service is very quick. I got an email back the same day and that wasn't even using the chat option.

Offline Spin52

• View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
You're sure right about the interface. Compared to D2D and KDP, it's ... words fail me. I keep getting a Needs Action note with no details at all. And call me stupid, but how do I upload the cover? I uploaded a PDF for the interior, but the cover is a separate JPEG file.

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 01:44:25 PM »
You're sure right about the interface. Compared to D2D and KDP, it's ... words fail me. I keep getting a Needs Action note with no details at all. And call me stupid, but how do I upload the cover? I uploaded a PDF for the interior, but the cover is a separate JPEG file.

You upload the cover the same place you upload the PDF.

Offline Spin52

• View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
Thank you. I also managed to overlook the contributor box for the author's name. Good grief.
ETA: Now that I have the cover and author's name, it's still saying Needs Action. Do I assume it's just going through a review process? It would certainly be helpful if they'd say WHAT needs action.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:55:25 PM by Spin52 »

Offline munboy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
Thank you. I also managed to overlook the contributor box for the author's name. Good grief.
ETA: Now that I have the cover and author's name, it's still saying Needs Action. Do I assume it's just going through a review process? It would certainly be helpful if they'd say WHAT needs action.

When you click on the book, it should tell you the issue on the summary tab.

Offline Ellie Lynn

• Contemporary and Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Ellie Lynn
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »
If it's a new account, it will say 'needs action' until they do their review. Then it goes live and that message comes off.

Ginnie's Story-Calico 3 (working title): 35%
Ellie Lynn | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Spin52

• View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 11:59:17 PM »
Thanks for your help, everyone. I think it was just being reviewed because it's now 'live'.

Offline MinnieC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 06:07:56 AM »
Is there an option to preview your book before it's published? I can't see one and I'm feeling very uneasy about not being able to check it looks ok before it's on sale! But this thread has made me wonder if I just can't see it.

Also - just in case this helps anyone else - I spend about a zillion hours trying to upload my files and getting an error message (rejected by server). I assumed I was doing something wrong and not naming the files properly or having them in the wrong format, even though I'd checked and checked. In the end I asked them via chat and they suggested using an incognito window - worked first time. Maybe that was obvious and I'm a fool for not thinking of it myself (?!) but I thought I'd mention it just in case anyone else has the same issue.
Jane Cooper | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Spin52

• View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 08:06:22 AM »
Is there an option to preview your book before it's published? I can't see one and I'm feeling very uneasy about not being able to check it looks ok before it's on sale! But this thread has made me wonder if I just can't see it.

Also - just in case this helps anyone else - I spend about a zillion hours trying to upload my files and getting an error message (rejected by server). I assumed I was doing something wrong and not naming the files properly or having them in the wrong format, even though I'd checked and checked. In the end I asked them via chat and they suggested using an incognito window - worked first time. Maybe that was obvious and I'm a fool for not thinking of it myself (?!) but I thought I'd mention it just in case anyone else has the same issue.

I wondered about the preview option, too, because there's a note suggesting you preview before publishing, but no obvious way of doing that. I just crossed my fingers and published, and it appears to be fine on the product page. For my next task, I'm going to find out where the reports of sales are hidden, since I can't believe you have to download a whole spreadsheet every time you want to check. If that's the case, I'll just look once a month.