Author Topic: Can I sell all venues at D2D and still go DIRECT to B&N, Kobo, Apple iTunes etc?  (Read 690 times)  

Offline Kathryn Meyer Griffith

• View Profile
I know this might sound silly but, I was wondering: can I sell all venues through D2D and still go DIRECT to B&N, Kobo, Apple iTunes etc at the same time? Sell through all sales venues?

Kathryn Meyer Griffith horror/thriller/murder mystery author since 1984; 27 novels,12 short stories
Kathryn Meyer Griffith | Facebook | Author\\\\\\\'s Den | Good Reads | My website | Author Central | Amazon-author | Gravata | Amazon

Offline Nigel Henry

• New York, NY
    • View Profile
You can totally use D2D to publish with all retailers for Book A while going direct with Book B.

I don't imagine you can (or would want to) use D2D everywhere and go direct at the same time with just one book.

Nigel Henry | blog | facebook

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
Not a good idea. You would end up with two listings on each and one would be rejected. D2D charges a percentage, so going direct is better for your bottom line.

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
Not a good idea is right.  The companies will often flag your account thinking you are a pirate in such a situation.  I had this happen once a while ago with Scribd.  One book was listed though Smashwords, and I tried to go direct since their rates were better.  Even though I had pulled the book from being distributed to Scribd, and it wasn't listed in their catalog, they deleted all my content, locked my account, and said I was trying to sell content I didn't own. 

A few emails later I got it all straightened out, but trust me, you don't want to do that.  I think now it would be much harder to get reconciled considering the problems I am having with CreateSpace at the moment.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Online Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
1. You can sell some books direct and others through D2D. (example: series 1 direct, series 2 through D2D)

2. You can put all your books direct at some sites and list through D2D for other sites (example: direct at Kobo, go through D2D for iTunes)

3. You cannot list the same book on the same sites direct and through D2D. This would cause all kinds of problems and could get you in trouble; some (if not all) stores won't allow it at all.

Tales of fantasy, heroism, and romance.
Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Kathryn Meyer Griffith

• View Profile
Thanks everyone...that answers my question all right. I will not go direct with any of my books if they are already with D2D unless I pull them from D2D first and then go direct.

Kathryn Meyer Griffith horror/thriller/murder mystery author since 1984; 27 novels,12 short stories
Kathryn Meyer Griffith | Facebook | Author\\\\\\\'s Den | Good Reads | My website | Author Central | Amazon-author | Gravata | Amazon

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone...that answers my question all right. I will not go direct with any of my books if they are already with D2D unless I pull them from D2D first and then go direct.

If you can go direct, you get to keep more of your earnings and have promo opportunities you don't through D2D. So there's a benefit to going direct wherever you can.

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
If you go direct on Kobo and then publish the same title on Smashwords (with distribution to Kobo still enabled, oops), then Kobo will take down your original and list the Smashwords one instead.

No, this didn't happen to me. What gave you that impression?

If only Smashwords would let me set up a default distribution filter for use on all new books. I'd switch off Kobo and Amazon and never have to worry about them again.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
If only Smashwords would let me set up a default distribution filter for use on all new books. I'd switch off Kobo and Amazon and never have to worry about them again.

They do have that facility.

Dashboard>Channel Manager>

There is a link right at the bottom of the page 'Manage Preemptive optout settings'.
"The saddest thing in life is people with sight, but without vision." - Helen Keller

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
I got all excited for a minute, but that setting just stops them distributing to new markets:

This tool will automatically opt all your titles out of future, as-of-yet unannounced distribution channels.

What I want is to deselect existing markets (amazon and kobo) and use that setting for all new titles, instead of having them blanket-assigned to everything. (The only saving grace is that they won't enact premium distribution until an ISBN is assigned, and it's at that point that I usually remember to go and untick Kobo and Amazon.)

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
I got all excited for a minute, but that setting just stops them distributing to new markets:

This tool will automatically opt all your titles out of future, as-of-yet unannounced distribution channels.

I think that means 'in addition to' the ones you deselect. The ways it works is that in instead of you leaving the Smashwords default i.e. everywhere, you specifically set your own defaults (which is what I think you want). Then, if and when they add new channels, you would need to manually change you defaults to include them.

Fairly sure this is right: I use it myself, but set the defaults so long ago.
"The saddest thing in life is people with sight, but without vision." - Helen Keller

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Okay, will check it out. They certainly like slabs 'o' text on Smashwords, and despite all that information it's not always clear what they mean.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
For me, D2D does the job for a very small cut of the proceeds, meanwhile saving me endless amounts of time maintaining accounts elsewhere. I do distribute direct through Google Play, but would give that up in a heartbeat if D2D had the option.

Apple is usually my largest non-Amazon market. Since I use a Windows machine, and since Apple makes it virtually impossible to play with their iBookstore without owning a Mac, I'd have to use an aggregator there in any event. B&N by contrast is a declining market -- Apple and B&N have changed places over the past five years, and now Kobo often outsells poor B&N.

On top of that is D2D's swift payment and very helpful customer support.

(You can of course use D2D for Overdrive and other hard-to-reach, less-important stores, while maintaining accounts at Kobo etc.)
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
For me, D2D does the job for a very small cut of the proceeds, meanwhile saving me endless amounts of time maintaining accounts elsewhere. I do distribute direct through Google Play, but would give that up in a heartbeat if D2D had the option.

Apple is usually my largest non-Amazon market. Since I use a Windows machine, and since Apple makes it virtually impossible to play with their iBookstore without owning a Mac, I'd have to use an aggregator there in any event. B&N by contrast is a declining market -- Apple and B&N have changed places over the past five years, and now Kobo often outsells poor B&N.

On top of that is D2D's swift payment and very helpful customer support.

(You can of course use D2D for Overdrive and other hard-to-reach, less-important stores, while maintaining accounts at Kobo etc.)

Are you on PublishDrive? I put my books on that site but haven't had a lot of luck selling through them. They distribute to more international sites than I ever knew existed. Also, have you promoted D2D's Books2Read pages? They let us add links to stores they don't distribute to under universal links. I haven't had time to explore those booksellers. Too much to do, too little time.

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com