Author Topic: Pricing Strategy for new books in series  (Read 479 times)  

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
Pricing Strategy for new books in series
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »
I have book number  two in a series (each book is a standalone that is connected by theme) that is coming out and I was curious about pricing strategies. My thoughts were to promote and discount book 1 to 99 cents for a few days in the hopes that readers will move on of course to number 2. Or should I just focus on the second one and hope people then go back to the first?

Online idontknowyet

• View Profile
Re: Pricing Strategy for new books in series
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:14:37 PM »
Most people don't start discounting I thought until book three is released. At least from what I've read. I havent released any books yet but I've been doing tons of reading around here.

Online KD Ritchie

• View Profile
    • KD Ritchie - My Author Website
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »
I like this strategy which I haven't used yet, but think it makes sense:

Book 1) Full
Book 2) Book 1 (give discount) Book 2 (Full)
Book 3) Book 1 (Free - use as magnet/newsletter giveaway) Book 2 (Discount) Book 3+ (Full)

Rinse and repeat for every series!

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:10:42 AM »
I like this strategy which I haven't used yet, but think it makes sense:

Book 1) Full
Book 2) Book 1 (give discount) Book 2 (Full)
Book 3) Book 1 (Free - use as magnet/newsletter giveaway) Book 2 (Discount) Book 3+ (Full)

Rinse and repeat for every series!

This is what I do, but the only thing I would suggest is not discounting book 2.

I'd also add Step 4, which is a box set of the three books for a discount.

I'm still on the fence about the pricing of pre-releases for Book 1. Not sure whether to price them at 2.99 during pre-order, then raise to 4.99 until book 2 comes out, at which point it can go down to 99c. Or just stick with 4.99 until book 2 comes out, at which point it goes down to 99c.

I'm worried about annoying people who pay 4.99 during pre-order, only to see the book hit 2.99 or lower a month later. And later still, free.

On the other hand, look at new release DVDs or PC/Console games. One minute they're full price and the next it's five for five bucks. I know when I'm paying $20 or $40 that I can wait for the lower price, and so I don't resent the studio when they drop the price later. It's my choice if I want it NOW.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
Thanks to you both for your help. Would you suggest doing the box set the same time as book 3? I know it may seem like a silly question but was not sure if I should use the box set  later as another release on its own.

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:04:18 AM »
I would do the box set much later, once sales of book three appear to be tailing off.  Don't remove the other books from sale though, as people will still discover and buy them (and you'll have people who only need book 2 or 3)

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)