Author Topic: Overseas lockout?  (Read 468 times)  

Offline oipenguin

• View Profile
Overseas lockout?
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:00:00 AM »
I'm a resident in Norway, but changed my Amazon address to a UK based address about a year ago when I discovered the price of books from Amazon.com where twice as high with a Norwegian address compared to a US or UK address. I'm using a Norwegian visa card and IP address. A few days ago I was suddenly unable to sync content both with my Kindle voyage and Android app. However I can still buy Kindle books on Amazon.co.uk. I've not received any e-mail or alert from Amazon. I've tried deregistering my Android app, but I'm unable to sign in again. I also tried to sign in with a UK IP-address by means of a VPN Client. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I've not yet risked deregistering my Voyage, but I have restarted the device. All existing content is on my device, but I'm unable to receive new content from Amazon, a Norwegian book seller and articles via Kindle it.

Are my problems likely to be related to my virtual move from Norway to UK or are there any other possible explanations? How do I trouble shoot further? How do I resolve my problem? I really need to sort this out before my summer holiday.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: Overseas lockout?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:45:43 AM »
I'm not sure there is a way to solve this to be honest. You were probably able to download in Norway despite having a UK address for a while - Amazon know people travel abroad - but if you keep on doing that, they'll know you're not actually resident in the country you say you are.

Can you download your Kindle purchases to your PC? If so, you could transfer it manually to your Kindle - a bit cumbersome but it would be better than nothing.

You might try changing your official Amazon address back to Norway and seeing if you can download content you've previously purchased. If it works, you could possibly keep changing it back and forth.

As I said, since you're basically trying to 'cheat' the system, you may struggle to find a viable answer. Anyone else have any ideas?

"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:11:13 AM »
I think Linda has it right. As I understand it, the way the system is set up is Amazon is a US company and if you're not in the US, you MUST have your account with amazon US unless you are a legitimate resident of one of the international stores, in which case you can have an account with that store. That means if you're in the UK you can buy from the UK store, but not from the US or another international store. I'm in the US and can order physical things from the UK store, but can't order kindle books from the UK store. If I'm from Wakanda, and there's no Wakanda store, I can purchase from the US store ONLY as far as Kindle content is concerned.

Amazon do know where you are when you download books and if it appears you've claimed a country you're not actually a resident of, you may find yourself locked out of your account. :( In your case, they noticed you were in the UK and their systems did you the courtesy of switching your account to the UK store since there is one.

Your best option is to go back to a Norway address, and if your books are still locked, send a message to Amazon explaining that you were briefly using a UK address and got switched to the UK store. BUT, you really live in Norway and have changed back to that address; and you'd like to have access back to the books you bought as a Norway resident. Chances are, though, that which you bought via the UK store may not continue to be available to you.

Note that the reason for the price variation and strictness on what store you can shop in most likely has to do with international tariffs or treaties, as well as the agreements Amazon has with various governments that allows them to 'operate' in a country at all.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline oipenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:37:27 AM »
Thanks for your replies Linjeakal and Ann. The way I understand your replies, the most likely hypothesis is that Amazon has barred my access to books I've bought as a response to my attempt to circumvent their georestrictions (but not barred me as a customer since I'm currently allowed to purchase Kindle books). Hence, my best bet will be to change back to a Norwegian address (which will also move me from .com to .co.uk) and cross my fingers that they will allow me to log in with my Kindle and Kindle app.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
Now I'm confused. You say "Hence, my best bet will be to change back to a Norwegian address (which will also move me from .com to .co.uk)"

But I'd understood -- and what I'd expect -- that you had been using .com with your Norwegian address. It was when you switched to a UK address that your account got switched to a .co.uk account -- BECAUSE, a UK person can't buy from the .com site and must buy from the .co.uk site.  I suspect a typo, but I'm just making sure I've not go something the wrong way around. ???

SO . . . when you go back to the Norwegian address, it should switch back to a .com account. BUT you may need to contact them and explain what happened because the switch might not be automatic. It SHOULD be, but it might not be.

And if you have any books you bought via the .co.uk site, you should probably download them via your computer to save them because I'm almost certain they'll no longer be accessible once you're switched back to .com

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline oipenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »
Problem solved, however according to Amazon it was due to the software not being updated. According to the friendly representative I'm free to switch between .co.uk and .com

Regarding the confusion. I live in Norway, but chose to use a UK address because that halfed the price of books. According to Amazon, my issue was not related to my location.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
Problem solved, however according to Amazon it was due to the software not being updated. According to the friendly representative I'm free to switch between .co.uk and .com

Regarding the confusion. I live in Norway, but chose to use a UK address because that halfed the price of books. According to Amazon, my issue was not related to my location.

Well that's an awesome outcome! And first I've heard of them letting folks do that. Good to know!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac