NetGalley

Author Topic: Can I use screenshots in my ebook?  (Read 167 times)  

Offline Karen N

• View Profile
Can I use screenshots in my ebook?
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:05:10 AM »
I am going to publish an ebook about my little son.I want to use some cartoon screenshots to illuminate my text.And these cartoons have been over 20 years old.Can I use them in my ebook?If I need to get permission,what should I do?

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Can I use screenshots in my ebook?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:10:31 AM »
I am going to publish an ebook about my little son.I want to use some cartoon screenshots to illuminate my text.And these cartoons have been over 20 years old.Can I use them in my ebook?If I need to get permission,what should I do?
Twenty years is not long enough for something to have become public domain, so yes, you definitely need to get permission.

The next step is to find the rights. Start with the original publisher and go from there. If the publisher doesn't hold the rights, it can probably direct you to the cartoonist.

If the publisher is large and still in business, there may even be a permissions page or something similar on their website, with instructions on how to make rights requests. A number of large companies have clear routines in place.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Karen N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:13:26 AM »
Thank you very much!

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:32:29 AM »
OP, it may behoove you to research fair use of copyrighted material.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu