mblart

Author Topic: Are you sick and tired of writing in your current genre too??  (Read 1816 times)  

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
Hey all,

I've been writing non-fiction for a long time. I'm so tired of non-fiction but I'm dedicated to this work because of how important it is to me. But man, it's so hard to find the motivation to get through this before starting something else. I have a guideline about not working on more than one book at once and it means I get them finished, but my last two works have been non-fiction and it's doing my head iiiiinnnn. I just want to pants it in a Universe somewhere else.

What do you do to get through these mind-numbing times?

Offline CathleenT

• View Profile
Re: Are you sick and tired of writing in your current genre too??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:26 PM »
I take a very long walk. Better yet, if I can work it, I take my camper and dogs to where I can take a lot of long walks and I don't have any internet connection. I sit on a granite boulder under a Ponderosa pine and watch water trickle down a rock face. I keep my German shepherd from driving my border collie to distraction and I throw the sticks they bring me.

If I take enough walks, a story idea will come. It can't be forced. It's like I'm empty, and I need to be filled.

I'm not sure that same system would work for nonfiction, or even for anyone who isn't me.

Maybe it's enough to do something completely different. Or maybe you could reward yourself for each completed chapter/section. It's difficult to know what to suggest without knowing you better. But usually, I'd suggest doing whatever it is that energizes you. Sometimes I think motivation issues are just a way of avoiding mental exhaustion.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:37:53 AM by CathleenT »

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:39:41 PM »
When I start something that is so boring, I just want to sleep until someone else finishes it, I leave it and go start something else. If you are bored with your subject, with the book you are writing, so too will your readers be.

I have only written one non-fiction book, a subject I am passionate about. I've never found another subject to kindle such passion in me. If I ever do, then I might just write another non-fiction, until then...

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:58:13 PM »
I guess it's not the topic that tires me so but the lack of fantasy/freedom I have in writing my book. Because it's corporate/casual in theme I have to write quite clearly and with much more structure. I love the topic, I can talk all day about it, but it's because I've been writing non-fiction for so long that it's a bit exhausting.

Online Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:01:44 AM »
I only embark on projects I'm really, truly passionate about. Back in the day that meant many unfinished projects.

My one and only non-fiction title has been about six years in the making, although once I got into it I wouldn't have stopped it someone paid me to.

My original idea was to tidy up the articles on my website (the ones on plotting and writing a novel) and release them as a standalone ebook, but I just couldn't see the point of putting all that effort into something people could already read online.

However, recently I came up with a working method which has seen me write four novels in four months, and so I took that passion and excitement and wrote my non-fic title from scratch in about a week. Originally I planned to just post it as another article or three, but I was talked into publishing an ebook instead.

I stand by my opening sentence though - even if it proves popular, I won't write another non-fic unless I feel the overwhelming urge to share some method which is working for me.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »
I do art related non-fic and romance fic. Never tired. Honestly.

My non-fic take so much longer because I have to take pictures of process and really explain stuff, but I enjoy teaching and I enjoy others discovering art. My method for art is fairly unique, and my art books have stayed pretty consistently at the top. They're in KU. They're not pulling in the big bucks, but they make me happy.

Fic? Still, never tired. Only thing that annoys me is usually by the time I get to the middle of my current work, I have an awesome idea for the next book and I have to force myself to stay invested in what I'm working on. Could be solved by being able to write more words in a day. I'm more or less impatient. I don't see how people take more than 3 months to write one book. I'd never finish.

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 01:49:12 AM »
Non fiction? Gah..outsource it!!!! just do the summary and the bulletpoints and have a ghost do it.
If you yourself are a ghost hmm then bigger problem.. but there are lots and lots of ghosting opportunities in all sorts of pantable genres.
But if you authoring your own non-fic... OUTSOURCE it while you write your other inspiration.
Who knows, after a time of swimming through pantsing universes (hardships there too)  perhaps you will enjoy the strict stuff again?

Online cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 04:47:40 AM »
it's a "businessperson v. artist" sort of internal struggle, isn't it?

I'm a crappy businessperson. I write what I want to write, and sometimes I lose readers for it. I've come to terms with it. I need my soul fed as much as my body--and there are plenty of other ways to feed my body, and without writing from my heart, I worry my soul would shrivel away.

So, if we were besties, I'd say, "hon, go for it. Pants a fantasy novel!"

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 05:26:35 AM »

So, if we were besties, I'd say, "hon, go for it. Pants a fantasy novel!"

Same!

In fact, why don't you start a passion project on the side? Doesn't matter if it's good. Doesn't matter if it's bad. Just make it something you're excited and passionate about. A place to exercise your creativity. Poetry, shorts, a novel, any genre that gets you jazzed.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline Klendark

• USA
  • Easily startled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 05:44:03 AM »

I had this problem when I wrote haiku. It became a frustrating chore, so I switched to Science Fiction. I've now been writing Sci-Fi for the last four years and I'm happy as a clam. If and when that changes, I will switch genres since I have that option. I have no idea what I would do if I was somehow locked into writing something, and I hope I never have to find out.

Klendark

Online Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
I consider myself a businessman first, author second. (I spent 25 years working in small businesses of one sort or another, and grabbed my writing time from any gaps I could find in an insanely hectic schedule.)

Having said that, I'm not into promoting. It doesn't sit with me at all, and I'd rather people just found my stuff and enjoyed it (or not). I won't write to market in any sense of the word, but I've come to realise that advertising and a newsletter are essential tools for the present day indie.

I love the freedom to hop genres and write whatever takes my fancy. Yes, it means I'll never make it big with some breakout hit, but that really doesn't matter to me. If I did have a breakout hit, I'd only feel guilty because I know it wouldn't feel like I'd done anything to deserve it.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 06:20:25 AM »
Find something about the book that you're passionate about, or that you believe intriguing. I wasn't really interested in my latest romance; it's a subgenre I don't even like much, but it does seem to have an audience. Then I realized what one of my major themes was. (I'm a pantser.) Then I got excited.

Similarly, a nonfiction book is often a book with a mission. If you are passionate about the mission, try to focus on that. But also consider that a very conventional laying out of the topic may not suit the readers any more than it's suiting you. Maybe you need to jazz up your nonfiction with silly quizzes, or asides, or funny examples, or similar. In other words, add some sugar, both for you and for your audience.

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
it's a "businessperson v. artist" sort of internal struggle, isn't it?

In my opinion, this nails it. This distinction should drive every decision.

I'm non-fiction. I enjoy writing and happen to love my genre, but see my book business in the same way a dentist sees his business. Inspiration is unimportant to me, and boredom is part of the job.

But as long as the money's good...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
I write in a lot of genres...sometimes in the same story. LOL 

Honestly, I get bored easily and find it keeps things interesting if I have a lot going on.  Not so much as to confuse the reader, but enough to keep my interest. :)

ETA:  When I was writing non-fiction (history) I kept thinking this would make a great novel!  That's how I ended up writing fiction.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Online Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
I'm stuck in Historical romance. It's what my readers want more of. It's where the money is, but it becomes harder and harder to think of something different. I write contemporary mysteries too, which I like a lot more, but they don't sell as well. Even so, alternating keeps me from going crazy.

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
I've been writing for business at $150K a year. I write fiction at night and on weekends. I have been thinking about switching genres, though. How hard is it to break into that "best seller" genre?

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 10:40:16 AM »
While I can't write two fiction projects at the same time (that messes with my head), I can juggle fiction and non-fiction without any issue. I write my non-fiction as my break from fiction. I can also do development work on any new series that I may have in my head.

Having someplace to blow some energy is good.

Every new writing project feel like changing genres, even if I go from fantasy to fantasy, because fantasy is so wide in its possibilities. Every series is essentially a new direction.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:42:38 AM by Douglas Milewski »

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Online Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
I've been writing for business at $150K a year. I write fiction at night and on weekends. I have been thinking about switching genres, though. How hard is it to break into that "best seller" genre?

For me, it's been disappointing. While some of my fans say they'll read anything I write, the sales numbers don't back that up. I don't really have any insight into the mystery genre, although like romance it seems to be a free-for-all when it comes to books listed there. Mystery includes horror, thriller, suspense, and cozy, etc. I think it's hard for authors to figure out which books actually fit in the mystery genre. Maybe readers don't know what they'll find there either.

Online Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
One thing that seems to be working out well for me, is that I left all my historical romance wide and put the mysteries that weren't selling well into KU. After 3 months, at least they are getting read. Not making a bunch of money, but maybe it will help build a mystery reader base for me.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
Hey all,

I've been writing non-fiction for a long time. I'm so tired of non-fiction but I'm dedicated to this work because of how important it is to me. But man, it's so hard to find the motivation to get through this before starting something else. I have a guideline about not working on more than one book at once and it means I get them finished, but my last two works have been non-fiction and it's doing my head iiiiinnnn. I just want to pants it in a Universe somewhere else.

The last book i finished i absolutely hated but i finished it.

It happens. When you do this for a living. Not every books is enjoyable to write.

There are some that feel like im pulling teeth to finish it and i wonder why i started them. Having said that i will probably sell like hotcakes. The ones i care less about usually do, the ones i agonize over and think are marvellous garner nothing more than the sound of crickets.

Online George Trigiris

• Greece
  • Romance & Fantasy Ghostwriter Extraordinnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »
Yes, writing in the same genre over and over can be draining.

Which is why we all need to switch every now and then, but that's not always easy (it's quite rare, actually).
Romance & Fantasy Ghostwriter Extraordinaire.

50 Books and counting. If you're looking to have an incredible book written, all you have to do is pm me.

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 12:43:29 PM »
A little. I mean, I just wrote a 20 page short in an unusual genre for me, in the space of severaldays...while twenty pages of any of my major works might take a few weeks. My novels all take place in the Middle Ages and sometimes it is a right old slog to find new ways to describe a banquet or clothes. Worse, is when events I've briefly covered in another book have to be written into the new one and expanded--dull doing it all over again and difficult to present in a new, interesting way.

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
All the time. That's why I write in a variety of genres: contemporary romance, romantic suspense, and f/f romance. (I've also got a psych thriller on the back burner.) I tend to hop around so that I don't get bored. Right now I'm slogging through a WIP. I love my WIP and my characters, but I'm just going blank when I sit down to write. (This is the longest sex scene I've ever written, bahaha.) Unfortunately, I have a lot going on personally, and it's definitely scrambling my focus. When that happens, I know I need to take a break and stop trying to force myself to write. Fill the well, as Julia Cameron says. Read a lot and watch TV and movies. Free-write in my journal to empty out the gunk in my head. (And right now, there's a lot of gunk.)

Then things start flowing again and I can finish up whatever it is I'm working on.

Maybe, as a treat, you can set a daily word count goal for your non-fiction and, when you hit it, you're "allowed" to go work on the fun fiction. That way there, you're not abandoning ship, but you're also not depriving yourself. We all need a break sometimes, regardless of how much we love what we're doing or what's going on in our personal lives. I say give yourself that little treat and go for it!

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
I am so tired of the immense amount of research it takes to write Historical Fiction, I can't even tell you. I used to love the research and the writing. Now I'm just burnt out.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 08:51:34 PM »
I'm sick and tired of the copy that's paying the bills-- my own stuff that I write at nights and on days off is still good (when I have the energy).

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter