mblart

Author Topic: Complete newbie seeking advice!  (Read 313 times)  

Offline JDIrwinbooks

• View Profile
Complete newbie seeking advice!
« on: June 14, 2018, 05:42:00 AM »
I'm a published children's author (still writing for kids, agent trying her best), but I've written a contemporary romance with a follow-up part-way through. I'm looking for advice on how to launch my first without it sinking like a stone. Thanks :-)

Online Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Re: Complete newbie seeking advice!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:07:10 AM »
Hiya, and welcome!

There have been a couple of topics on this recently, one just updated today. Let me just see if I can find it ...

Here you are! More about pricing than launching, though:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,264171.0.html

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline CathleenT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 06:25:37 AM »
My first piece of advice is to back-read at least ten pages of threads on kboards. I did that when I first joined, and it helped me. The problem was I was too inexperienced to even know the right questions to ask.

I don't write romance, but just from reading other threads I can tell you that 1) Most romance writers here are on KU, 2) Some successful contemporary romance authors are struggling financially as of this year, 3) Marketing for KU and wide requires a different focus, 4) and a lot of people network, doing things like recommending certain books or writers to their email lists, so you might want to meet some folks in your genre.

Your question is really too big to answer well in a thread like this. I believe you should narrow the focus. I believe your first decision will be whether or not you choose to go exclusive with Amazon because that will frame the rest of the discussion.

You'll probably want a pen name for your romance, unless it's sweet, because children are incompatible with the man chest kind of book.

In general, I can tell you people frequently recommend writing three related books and then publishing them in rapid succession, like once a month. A lot of people recommend using your email list as your primary way of staying in touch with readers. Many people recommend having a website. The most common social media discovery platform is Facebook. You can't go wrong by setting up an email list, a website, and a Facebook page and profile, IMO. That's a place to at least start. :)

Online Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
Yep, read, read, read. Then find your favorite social media and start collecting followers. Choose a hobby to discuss, anything, sports, horses, anything (maybe something related to romance) ask them questions, (what do you consider a romantic evening) post pictures - and then when the time is right, "Oh, by the way, I wrote a book. Here's the link."

I've seen this happen and wish I'd known this before I started.
Marti

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
I'm a published children's author (still writing for kids, agent trying her best), but I've written a contemporary romance with a follow-up part-way through. I'm looking for advice on how to launch my first without it sinking like a stone. Thanks :-)

Contemp romance is a tough market. Lots of readers but lots of writers. Rising in the ranks in that market is like trying to swim to the surface of the ocean with ankle weights on. Can it be done? Yes. But its hard.

Online BrunoMiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by a follow up, but I'm guessing book 2 in the series? I don't write romance, I write Post Apoc, but what's working for me is releasing one book a month three months in a row. I priced the first at .99 because I'm a brand new author and was told that would reduce reader reluctance to try an unknown. The rest of the books in the series will be 2.99. I put as many cheap promos behind book one as I could. I'm really happy with how it's going. Hope that helps.
Bruno Miller | Facebook | Website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac