Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Voyage sale

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  readingril 
#1 ·
The Kindle Voyage is on sale for $149.99.  I don’t know how long the sale will last.  The only one available is WiFi only with special offers.

#3 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Interesting. That might be the new 'full price' as I don't see anything indicating it's on sale. The Voyage is my favorite kindle. :)
Me too, although I have not purchased an Oasis.

I read a blog a couple of months ago who said Amazon would be discontinuing the Voyage. I'm not sure if that was based on fact or if he was theorizing such. I hope not. I don't want to have to buy an Oasis to get a lit screen!

#4 ·
readingril said:
Me too, although I have not purchased an Oasis.

I read a blog a couple of months ago who said Amazon would be discontinuing the Voyage. I'm not sure if that was based on fact or if he was theorizing such. I hope not. I don't want to have to buy an Oasis to get a lit screen!
For me the Oasis -- both generations -- are very very good devices. And I quite like the buttons. But there's something about the totality of the Voyage that is just hugely aesthetically pleasing to me. So much so that I'm actually debating getting another before the end of the summer: I have a $25 coupon to use up by Aug 31.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were to discontinue it -- it's almost a legacy device at this point -- mine's going on 4 years old and I'm pretty sure I got it on release day. There are also rumors about a new PaperWhite. Perfection for me would be for it to use some of the best features of the Voyage -- the size and weight, flat (vs recessed) screen, lighting configuration, etc. And if they were able to add subtle page turn buttons that'd be even better, but that's probably going to put the device into a higher price point than they want.

#5 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
For me the Oasis -- both generations -- are very very good devices. And I quite like the buttons. But there's something about the totality of the Voyage that is just hugely aesthetically pleasing to me. So much so that I'm actually debating getting another before the end of the summer: I have a $25 coupon to use up by Aug 31.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were to discontinue it -- it's almost a legacy device at this point -- mine's going on 4 years old and I'm pretty sure I got it on release day. There are also rumors about a new PaperWhite. Perfection for me would be for it to use some of the best features of the Voyage -- the size and weight, flat (vs recessed) screen, lighting configuration, etc. And if they were able to add subtle page turn buttons that'd be even better, but that's probably going to put the device into a higher price point than they want.
The $$$ was what mostly turned me off the Oasis. I also personally don't see the need for the expensive charging case that's unique to the Oasis. I've not purchased an "official" Amazon case for any of my Kindles, which tend to be a little more pricey than the aftermarket cases.

#7 ·
readingril said:
The $$$ was what mostly turned me off the Oasis. I also personally don't see the need for the expensive charging case that's unique to the Oasis. I've not purchased an "official" Amazon case for any of my Kindles, which tend to be a little more pricey than the aftermarket cases.
Actually, the newer oasis doesn't have that charging case. The only battery is in the device. If you read without a cover it is nicely ergonomic, and the larger screee is a boon to many. I have a Voyage and both Oases and have used a PW as well as the current basic Kindle. Of them all, Voyage is my favorite.

#9 ·
readingril said:
I didn't realize that.

It's still slightly out of my price range though. Over $200 is a tipping point for me. I'm not really interested in the Audible integration and I don't read in the bathtub. ;)
me neither.

I got it kinda out of boredom, to be honest. ::) Plus,as a moderator, I should know about these things. ;D

Don't get me wrong: both versions of the Oasis are very nice devices. And there are some features that make it very attractive for some folks. But if you can only have one Kindle, I'd say get the Voyage -- especially at the current price. Previously, when it was closer to $200, I'd have said the PW is the most bang for the buck, even though I personally like the Voyage better. Now they're pretty close -- I feel like it's worth $30 more, where maybe it wasn't worth $80 more for most people.

#15 ·
From what I'm seeing--Amazon is still posting confusing pricing for the PW and Voyage.  The price I see for the PW is $119.99 and the Voyage is $199.99.  But scrolling down on either the PW or Voyage page I see a comparison chart that shows the PW at $89.99 and the Voyage at $149.99...

#16 ·
In the UK while all the other Kindles are showing a reduced price for Prime Day the Voyage has completely disappeared from the menu.

If you do a search only refurbished ones appear and the news ones are 'unavailable'.

I'm not sure how significant this is - I think it highly unlikely they'd run out of them and even if they did the page would still be on the menu and it would say 'out of stock'.

Does this mean it's being phased out altogether, or that a new one is coming? Hopefully the latter.

#24 ·
I own a Voyage and both Oasis 1 & 2.  I love both the Voyage and the Oasis 2.  I never use the Oasis 1 anymore.  I was thinking about turning it in for the 25% discount and using that to buy a backup Voyage.  Now I can’t decide if I want to buy a refurbished Voyage or just wait until Amazon comes out with a new model. 

#25 ·
FWIW, I don't think you can use the 25% on a refurbished kindle. I'd traded in a DX earlier in the summer and was trying the other day to use it; the 25% didn't go on unless I put a NEW kindle in the cart.

And, the 25% (at least mine) expires at the end of August. They'll probably announce/release a new one on Sept 1. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.