Author Topic: Books and the Bear promotion site . . . has anyone used them?  (Read 480 times)  

Offline Ronn Munsterman

• Iowa
    • View Profile
    • The Official Site of Ronn Munsterman and Sgt. Thomas Dunn
Just wondering if anyone has used https://www.booksandthebear.com/services/newsletter-feature for promotions, and if so what is your opinion of them?

Thanks,

Ronn

Ronn Munsterman | Website | Blog

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
Re: Books and the Bear promotion site . . . has anyone used them?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »
I can't figure out where they are based. Their English isn't quite US-standard (we don't say "advert," for example) but their prices are listed in $. In fact, their English has more oddities than that, some of which are simply ungrammatical. For example, "Traditionally published and self-published authors are welcome of all genres."

So maybe it's not from an English-first-language (of whatever flavor) nation.

Perhaps someone with a Whois account could check? Knowing might help.

Also, if they can't quite perfect the English on their own web pages, paying them for proofreading (one of their services) might not be the best idea.

Still, I would be interested in seeing if their promotion services are effective.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Offline NathanBurrows

• Norwich, United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Nathan Burrows
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
Not much available on a WHOIS search - registered in London, UK, in May 2016 via GoDaddy. No other details publicly available - not necessarily a bad thing though. A lot of companies / people don't make their contact details available via their domain (myself included).

Nathan Burrows | Website | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Day Leitao

• Montreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »
Guys, avoid.

Someone in a facebook group said they took their money for proofreading and then disappeared. It should have been done by June 8th, and they haven't replied to emails since.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:04:53 PM by Day Leitao »

Offline strugglingwriter2018

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:04:34 PM »
I just booked their 1 month promotion package. I will post a full review here once it is over.

A fellow author friend booked a manuscript assessment with them last month but they were unable to complete that either. However, in our discussion they sent a group email issuing a full apology and explaining they lost their editor and that they would be refunding everyone and to make up for everything be issuing $100 to each author. I think that is so nice! I wish I had booked an editing service last month so I could of gotten that money! Haha

Anyway, let's see if their marketing works! I'm a newbie author so if anyone has any other marketing sites they would recommend, I would be very grateful to hear from you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:51:24 PM by strugglingwriter2018 »

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
I checked into them months ago and warning flags went off.  Here is my advice for those companies promising to promote you to their 200k + audience  on social media. Go to their pages and see how "fans" are interacting. Most of the time you will find one or two retweets and maybe a handful of likes for each of their post. Yo can spend your money on ads for a better roi.