Kadaxis LLC

Author Topic: Time Left Mis-estimated?  (Read 833 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Time Left Mis-estimated?
« on: June 19, 2018, 05:48:24 PM »
I just measured and found that when my Oasis told me I had ten minutes to the end of the book, it actually took thirty minutes to finish.

Does your device make a similar error in this estimate?

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Re: Time Left Mis-estimated?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:21 PM »
Ive had my reading time estimates go wrong on occasion. Doesnt happen often and I cant remember any specific figures.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:16:09 AM »
I just measured and found that when my Oasis told me I had ten minutes to the end of the book, it actually took thirty minutes to finish.

Does your device make a similar error in this estimate?

I never felt the need to have the Kindle tell me how much time was left to read. I use the percentage to keep me on track.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 05:47:27 AM »
I find it to be pretty accurate. It does seem to change, though, depending on the book I'm reading. Which only makes sense: it takes me longer to read a section of War and Peace than the same length section of a light cozy mystery. Initial estimates are generally off at first when I switch between the two. I do like to use it before bed -- to decide whether or not to go ahead and start the next chapter, for example. :)

It also changes as I'm reading. Frequently, I'll start reading a section and it'll have a number and then after I've turned a page or two I see that the number hasn't changed at all, or that it's gone way down or way up. So it adjusts as you go.

Also, it really does depend on how fast you 'turn pages*'. So if you're in the habit of reading and putting the kindle down without closing the book, and just letting it fall asleep on its own, it'll think it took you 10 minutes on one page. The next time you start reading, that'll be figured into the calculation.

In your case, maybe you just finished a book that you were able to read pretty fast, or were almost skimming. So you're turning pages at a pretty quick rate. The kindle thinks that's how fast you always read. Then you open a new book that you have to pay more attention to. You're turning pages much slower. So it said '10 minutes' to start with, but it's really going to take longer. It should adjust, though, as you read; it does for me.

ALSO . . . . it counts 'to next chapter' according to how the book is formatted. For books with chapters and sub chapters I find it less useful as it usually counts to the next full chapter. So it might say I have 2 hours to the next chapter but I know there are subs and they generally are about 10 minutes of reading for me. I suppose it could happen in reverse as well: it says it's 10 minutes to the next chapter, but that's just a section of the chapter and the real end of the whole thing is actually 30 minutes of reading.

*using 'page' in the sense of one screen on the kindle.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Koi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
I'm just wildly grateful the feature can be turned off.   

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:11:17 PM »
I have had it happen with all my Kindles at some point. To help it be more accurate I do a reading time reset when I notice it happening. Just open book you are reading tounch the hour glass shaped search at top, type in     ; ReadingTimeReset    It will give you result that that doesnt exist or no term in book(something like that) at this point hot the back Arrow icon on top of screen. What you should see then is your book and on the bottom of page it should say learning reading speed.....  If you have a page number on bottom on page and switch to time left in chapter or book it will show the learn reading speed message and as you read it will begin to display more accurate readings.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 05:39:20 PM »
I have had it happen with all my Kindles at some point. To help it be more accurate I do a reading time reset when I notice it happening. Just open book you are reading tounch the hour glass shaped search at top, type in     ; ReadingTimeReset    It will give you result that that doesnt exist or no term in book(something like that) at this point hot the back Arrow icon on top of screen. What you should see then is your book and on the bottom of page it should say learning reading speed.....  If you have a page number on bottom on page and switch to time left in chapter or book it will show the learn reading speed message and as you read it will begin to display more accurate readings.

Note that there is no space after the ; and the query is case sensitive.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:10:07 PM »
Note that there is no space after the ; and the query is case sensitive.

Thank you Ann, it looked right on my iPhone screen but that isnt always on target.

Thanks again for fine tuning directions.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline dordale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
The "Time to Read" gets out of wack on my Voyage every once in a while.  It's working fine for quite a while and then suddenly it seems to cut the time estimate in half.  It'll report that I need four hours to complete the book and then suddenly, for no reason that I can determine, when I turn the page it reports two hours.  I do the search for ";ReadingTimeReset" that LauraB mentioned and it will fix the problem for awhile.

This doesn't happen with every book, but when it does happen, odds are it will happen again in the same book (after I've reset the reading time).  Not a huge problem--more of a curiosity for me--trying to figure out what triggers it.