Author Topic: the hottest paranormal romance hero and human combo  (Read 1998 times)  

Offline sablewriter

• View Profile
the hottest paranormal romance hero and human combo
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
Hey lover of fantasy and paranormal romance, which human heroine and supernatural hero combo rocks your world?  :D My list follows...

a. human and angel
b. human and shifter
c. human and vampire
d. human and alien
e. human and merman
f. human and machine (AI)

How does yours look like? Or do you prefer just one option.  :-\ A,B,C,D,E, or F?

Hi, my name is Sable Rose and I write erotic romances and urban fantasy novels
Sable Rose | Facebook page | Mailing List | Twitter | Sable Rose Romances | Google+

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: the hottest paranormal romance hero and human combo
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
Any of the above if the story is good?

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »
C and F are top of my list!  Shut up and take my money!

B, depending on the shifter.  Never got into bear shifters for some reason.  Or dragons.
Next, let's see ... D, as long as they're not some generic blue alien warlord.  Bored of that trope.

Finally A and E.  I'm pretty meh about both.

Write-in candidates: human and elf, followed by human and demon.  Those can be fun!

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:17:33 PM »
I'm partial to human and angel, particularly fallen ones, myself.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »
I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but... C.  :-[

Olivia Rising

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
D

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
C, B and D.    (My favorite is vampire and shifter, but I'm biased.)

ETA:  What about witch and human?  Or fairy and human? :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
I don't quite know what a fallen angel is. (not an option, but I don't really know what that's supposed to refer to)

I'm B. I love shifters, especially when there's lore around the shifters and the kin (not just random humans).

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
I'm B. I love shifters, especially when there's lore around the shifters and the kin (not just random humans).

Yeah, I always love it when the author works out a mythology and culture for their nonhumans.  Not just shifters, all of them on the list can benefit from this.  Worldbuilding, yo.

Offline Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
Do space raptors and sentient food count?

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:08:49 PM »
I don't quite know what a fallen angel is. (not an option, but I don't really know what that's supposed to refer to)

Fallen angels were cast out of heaven.

How about a genetically stronger human vampire hunter who falls for an angel? :) (Yeah, I love me those Nalini Singh books)

C and F are top of my list!  Shut up and take my money!

B, depending on the shifter.  Never got into bear shifters for some reason.  Or dragons.
Next, let's see ... D, as long as they're not some generic blue alien warlord.  Bored of that trope.

Finally A and E.  I'm pretty meh about both.

Write-in candidates: human and elf, followed by human and demon.  Those can be fun!

Oh man, I love those taken by the alien warlord (a scifi alien abduction novel) books. The titles are spectacularly long!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:10:51 PM by C. Gold »

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »
Yeah, I always love it when the author works out a mythology and culture for their nonhumans.  Not just shifters, all of them on the list can benefit from this.  Worldbuilding, yo.

Same. I have the most complicated shifter lore, but I'm too busy writing contemp romance with regular people to break off and do the paranormal stories I have. Maybe 2019 will be the year of paranormal stories.

Fallen angels were cast out of heaven.

Interesting... Like, for doing something bad?

Offline M. Caitlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
I have to say C...

I always go back to vampire/human paranormal romance novels. Thankfully I found the self-publishing world or else I wouldn't have nearly as many of those books on my radar! C is also true when it comes to what I like to write.

I still remember when I was a little kid. I couldn't wait til Halloween when the reruns of The Little Vampire would play. I would lie awake at night hoping by morning I'd be turned into a vampire.  ;D

And following that I'd have to say fairy and human as was said by Lorri. I never get tired of fairies especially when romance is involved!

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 03:15:43 PM »
Same. I have the most complicated shifter lore, but I'm too busy writing contemp romance with regular people to break off and do the paranormal stories I have. Maybe 2019 will be the year of paranormal stories.

Interesting... Like, for doing something bad?
Yes, they were bad. Depending on your mythology, they can be the fallen angels from when Lucifer led the revolt in heaven and God cast them all out. It could also be those angels who fell in love with humans. They are said to have fallen. The resulting children between an angel and a human are called nephilim.

Offline Confused Fairywren

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »

I'm choosing this because I haven't been able to find any. Most of what I've seen is human and cyborg (so the hero is actually human, just with a steel skeleton or super-strength or other add-ons), but human and AI seems more rare.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or should I be looking outside romance and more towards hard sci-fi?

Offline KGupton

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 06:18:55 PM »
C because...that is what I do. Yeah. That's how I roll.

Kristen Gupton | Facebook

Offline judygoodwin

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • My Writerly World
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 06:28:21 PM »
None of the above--I'm more into genetically altered and/or psychic humans myself. :-)
"Have fun storming the castle!" --Miracle Max

|      |        
Judy Goodwin | author website _____________________ J.T. Hall  |  website  Amazon Author Page

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
Anything humanoid is fine, except for angels and/or demons. My religious beliefs conflict enough that I can't get into those stories.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline SallyRose

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »
I'm partial to human and angel, particularly fallen ones, myself.

I'm not a paranormal romance reader...but fallen angels, I totally want to read that.

What are some favorite titles, please  ;D

Online Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 02:09:22 AM »
I'm with Ellie.

Vampires are always fine with me, and like the others I enjoy a good origins story.

I like shifters but it depends on what they are. I never really got the bears either, or lions. I could maybe dig dragons as long as they spent most of their time in human form. I literally can't picture a romantic scene (not bedroom, obviously, but even just being loving) with a human and dragon. But wolves I totally get. I'll always happily devour wolf stuff.

Mermen? Um, ick for some reason. And I never did get into alien romance at all, maybe because I struggle to find it believable.

I'm intrigued by the AI, I've never seen that done, I'd probably view the look inside out of curiosity.

Offline sablewriter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
Gosh, I forgot human and witch... and, yeah, fairies

Sable Rose | Facebook page | Mailing List | Twitter | Sable Rose Romances | Google+

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 09:16:17 PM »
I'm intrigued by the AI, I've never seen that done, I'd probably view the look inside out of curiosity.
I don't know of any books offhand, but there are several movie instances:

Data had relations with Tasha Yar in ST:TNG. Didn't end well.
The main guy in Bladerunner 2049 had a relationship with his AI. Didn't end well.
In Her, the guy has feelings for his 'Alexa' like AI. Doesn't end well for him.
The Terminator in the first movie learned to care for humans and sacrificed himself for them and made me cry. I guess I fell in love with him and that didn't end well.
Now in Host, that involved aliens, but you could think of it like an AI where the 'innards' finally got a body. Now there is a potential HEA.
Halo might be a game but it has some books to go with. I always thought of the Master Chief as having a thing for his AI. Nobody has really explored that since... game!

The trend I see is that scifi explores the down side to AI relationships since humans are the superior choice, naturally! Since people are afraid of AI and the Rise of the Machines, our books reflect those fears. It's also easier to explore the tragedy of falling in love with something in a different physical form that you can't properly touch than come up with a HEA.

Offline idontknowyet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:13 PM »

The main guy in Bladerunner 2049 had a relationship with his AI. Didn't end well.
The Terminator in the first movie learned to care for humans and sacrificed himself for them and made me cry. I guess I fell in love with him and that didn't end well.
Now in Host, that involved aliens, but you could think of it like an AI where the 'innards' finally got a body. Now there is a potential HEA.
Halo might be a game but it has some books to go with. I always thought of the Master Chief as having a thing for his AI. Nobody has really explored that since... game!

The trend I see is that scifi explores the down side to AI relationships since humans are the superior choice, naturally! Since people are afraid of AI and the Rise of the Machines, our books reflect those fears. It's also easier to explore the tragedy of falling in love with something in a different physical form that you can't properly touch than come up with a HEA.

I loved the Host.
GREAT book!!! Totally worth reading.

I don't think the combo matters as much as the world building and storyline.  A complex world and great storyline and your combo can be almost anything.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 09:27:07 PM »
I'm not a paranormal romance reader...but fallen angels, I totally want to read that.

What are some favorite titles, please  ;D
Well, I read and enjoyed The Fallen series by Cynthia Eden.

There's also the Broken Angel series by L.G. Castillo. I bought the first book but haven't read it yet, but the blurbs sound great.

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
G = human and cephalopod    :o

Or barring that, D.

Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Online oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 01:03:21 AM »
I've read a bunch of PNR in all sorts of variants as research and written a few in several categories but couldn't make myself write anything today unless it was human human.

F. human / machine does not belong in PNR because paranormal is that which defies scientific, reality-based explanation and which does not have to abide by any laws of nature and goes beyond empirical projections (meaning, based on what we know today what do we expect to discover in future)
Paranormal is wholly based on fantasy and magic, the unattainable, that which we may dream of but know is overworldly. Human - machine on the other hand is a probable reality, one that is based on existing physics and tech expectations, tech solutions many of which are already a reality although not doable for practical and financial reasons.

Machine - human is not unreasonable and does not rely on supernatural powers (not the same as superhuman.. that is already a reality with steroids).

I know people who already socialize more with Alexa than anyone else  ::) and I myself have been successfully re-assembled with titanium bolts  :) There are countless projects that are progressing (and have huge funding) in their work to create bots. The next 100 years may see all sorts of borg/machine/AI entities, a world kids born today may actually experience for real.

My tip is to keep reality-based SF (regardless of how far-out you go) and paranormal/magic separate because mashups are hard to accomplish, and even harder to sell.

So my human/machine = not PNR rant is simply because categorizing it correctly (as SF) may = more sales  ;) 
End of rant.

OK, OP asks for PNR choice. For me (as reader and writer) is magic
G. human human-magician (weee.. its an all-gender word!)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:08:09 AM by oakwood »

Online Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 05:36:13 AM »

There was that film where Robin Williams was a robot? They fell in love and then both died together, does that count as a HEA? I know I cried...

Offline SallyRose

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 06:09:03 AM »
Well, I read and enjoyed The Fallen series by Cynthia Eden.

There's also the Broken Angel series by L.G. Castillo. I bought the first book but haven't read it yet, but the blurbs sound great.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just downloaded the first book in The Fallen series and look forward to diving in. I'll check out the other too.  8)

Offline idontknowyet

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 06:36:31 AM »
There was that film where Robin Williams was a robot? They fell in love and then both died together, does that count as a HEA? I know I cried...

Bicentennial Man - I don't know if I would consider that a romance at all. Though it did have a love story in it. The movie was overall  about a journey to find oneself. The futility of searching for validation outside of yourself. 

Offline sablewriter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
I loved the Host.
GREAT book!!! Totally worth reading.

I don't think the combo matters as much as the world building and storyline.  A complex world and great storyline and your combo can be almost anything.

I agree. With a great storyline and a well-constructed world, everything else is easy-peasy

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
Mermen? Um, ick for some reason.

I think the reason on that one is pretty obvious  ;D

Offline Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »

Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony.  The science side (Proton) had the hero with an AI woman.  Read that a long time ago! LOL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006XWYBCW/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 06:50:02 PM »
How boring. Why does one half need to be human? Elf and Nephilim in my latest book. :D

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline ceejay13

• Oh Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 10:41:09 PM »
Not a book unless there's a tie-in novel but  for human and machine... Helo and Cylon Boomer/Athena/Sharon from BSG (I've been watching my dvds of Battlestar Galactica lately).  ;D

Been a long time since I read this but Tanith Lee's The Silver Metal Lover for human and machine. Don't think there was a HEA but there was a sequel that may be HEA.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:41 AM »
You left out one of the most important ones!  Human and Demon.

I read one where the demons turned out to be the good guys and the angels were the baddies because they were too puffed up and condescending to help the humans.

Offline Thoralene

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
I'd go with C, D, or F. Though I guess F wouldn't fit too well with PNR. I should be tired of vampires by now, but for some reason I'm not.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Offline sablewriter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »
Which works better?

Male paranormal hero (with female human heroine)

Female paranormal heroine (with male human hero)

Or, why not both paranormal, heroine and hero  ;D

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »
Hey lover of fantasy and paranormal romance, which human heroine and supernatural hero combo rocks your world?  :D My list follows...

a. human and angel
b. human and shifter
c. human and vampire
d. human and alien
e. human and merman

How does yours look like? Or do you prefer just one option.  :-\ A,B,C,D,E, or F?

You know what? The best thing is that you don't have to choose. A successful paranormal series can have all types of paranormal species and hybrids. In my personal opinion, the master of writing such series, is Kresley Cole with her Immortals After Dark series.

I'm posting Goodreads links because is the easiest and fastest way to check an author's work.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40483-immortals-after-dark

I recommend Cynthia Eden too, she has another fallen angels series that I liked very much, Bad Things:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/181728-bad-things

She also has a very unusual paranormal species in the Phoenix Fire Series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/110194-phoenix-fire

I'm editing this post to add, that Cynthia Eden is a hybrid author, the Bad Things Series is self published as well as others she has written.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:56:02 PM by Simply_J »

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
Which works better?

Probably male paranormal hero (with female human) because we like that male-saves-the-day thing. Unless the male is some adventurer or something and the female aids in his adventure, I guess.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
Which works better?

Definitely both.  That makes it more fun and puts the MCs on a level playing field, when it comes to abilities.  They can be different (as in shifter and vampire) but I like it when they each have secrets and there are a few twists you don't expect...as well as the romance. :)

Offline Kessie Carroll

• View Profile
    • K.M. Carroll's Blog
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
I wrote one with a human and a lich, and it worked super well. Nobody uses lich heroes. They need love, too!

I've always loved humans and robots, kind of a Positronic Man situation, where the robot is becoming human.
K.M. Carroll | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Thoralene

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
I wrote one with a human and a lich, and it worked super well. Nobody uses lich heroes. They need love, too!

I've always loved humans and robots, kind of a Positronic Man situation, where the robot is becoming human.

Yes, seconded on the human/lich combination. I would vote for that option as well. Always room for great lich stories!
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.