Author Topic: Do your characters have a theme song?  (Read 526 times)  

Offline idontknowyet

• View Profile
Do your characters have a theme song?
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
I've been working on this one characters book pretty consistently for the last few weeks and today I stumbled upon her theme song. It seems odd to me that and imaginary person has a theme song but she does. Do you give yours a theme song or am I just a little bit odder than I thought I was?

Offline Joseph M. Erhardt

• U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: Do your characters have a theme song?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 08:17:39 PM »
Movie characters have been associated with musical themes for a while.  Think Doctor Zhivago and "Lara's Theme," or "In the Hall of the Mountain King" and M.

Joseph M. Erhardt

Online OnlyTheGrotesqueKnow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
https://youtu.be/j0Mz_IqpZX8

The song instantly came to mind but it's more the theme of the entire series. Great idea for a thread.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:05:24 PM by OnlyTheGrotesqueKnow »
To be broken is to be singularly beautiful. Only the shattered are unique in a world of plastic. Scars are the tribal marks of the forgotten, they are how we know our own.

Offline R.D. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
I don't have a theme song for an individual character, but I do hear music when I write. Mostly Benny Hill style chase music and 80s heavy metal.
Dang: The Legend of Vernon Boone: 20%
R.D. Smith

Online jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:07 AM »
No theme music for a main character. Some of them have a preference for a certain kind of music and they will say so. Sometimes they will play an Mp3 or CD of a genre. I think it adds to the description of the scene somewhat.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:22:00 AM »
My poor main character in Souls by the Sea is a music lover and a teensy bit depressed so her theme songs are 'How Soon Is Now?' by the Smiths and 'Cruel Summer' by the Bangles. And sad opera arias. And chirpy Gilbert and Sullivan tunes. And Dr. Demento standards. And thrash metal. And...

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Aloha

• View Profile

Offline Eric Thomson

• The Great White North
    • View Profile
    • Eric Thomson's Sci-Fi Worlds
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »
Not my characters but each of my books has at least a theme song, if not a soundtrack...

Eric Thomson | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Trinity23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »
My MC came back from the dead, so "Seven Devils" by Florence + The Machine was a good fit  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJL5SE1i0u4

Online jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »
My poor main character in Souls by the Sea is a music lover and a teensy bit depressed so her theme songs are 'How Soon Is Now?' by the Smiths and 'Cruel Summer' by the Bangles. And sad opera arias. And chirpy Gilbert and Sullivan tunes. And Dr. Demento standards. And thrash metal. And...

Cruel Summer was by Bananarama.

Offline Scott Reeves

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:34 PM »
One of my characters from an unpublished, half-finished screenplay has a theme song. Madeleine Mayhem is an evil, world-famous, cross-dressing rock star who has been secretly programming his/her audience through his/her songs so that one day soon he can activate them into an army to conquer the world. This is one of the songs I wrote and recorded for the screenplay:

https://youtu.be/S7gCEgM7Xx8
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:21:11 PM by Scott Reeves »

Scott Reeves

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:47 PM »
No theme music for a main character. Some of them have a preference for a certain kind of music and they will say so. Sometimes they will play an Mp3 or CD of a genre. I think it adds to the description of the scene somewhat.

yeah, this :)

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix |

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 01:43:48 AM »
Theme music?  Every good hero should have some.   8)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-KwtKRBUY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-KwtKRBUY</a>
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Thoralene

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
I'd love to nail a character theme song the way they did with Rocky with 'Eye of the Tiger' because I think it would make my writing stronger. Good topic!
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »
Cruel Summer was by Bananarama.

Well, %&#@. There's goes my 80s street cred.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline R H Auslander

• Overlooking the Sea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »
I tend to listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZQzW_QfPew 

Or this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOVdjxtnsH8

Our little valley is quiet, deafeningly so when I'm up at 04:00, and the quiet can be so intense I can hear the first troika of our dogs walking or, more likely, snoring gently at the other end of the compound with the windows of the Florida Room open. I write best in the early morning and late evening, and this music stops the gentle interruptions of the morning silence from disturbing my train of thought as I scribble. I listen to different music in the evenings, music more attuned to my characters, their personalities and their actions, but I won't post links for that music.
Sevastopol, The Third Defense Book 2: 65%
Lover of historic fiction and amateur historian.
R H Auslander

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 05:20:41 AM »
when I read the subject the first thing that popped into my head was the Flinstones! I have no idea why, but no I can get it out of my head (thank you very much!lol)

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 06:15:22 AM »
Yes, in three of my stories.

While writing Missing:The Body of Evidence I was browsing youtube and played the video for Westlife's Flying Without Wings where a woman at the end rises into the sky. Seeing as how the story involved government experiments with out-of-body Astral travel, I used it as the MC detective's theme song that she was drawn to as a sort of clue. While the lyrics might not be known and I don't use them, the words would sum up where she was at in her love life, with her biolicical clock ticking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPGxGCFgTs.

In another, in the opening, I use the [kitten]cat Dolls singing When I Grow Up with a young girl listening to the song through earphones while she jogs in a park on her 18th birthday. It sets her mood and everything being joyful then - bang - it all goes pear shape for her.

In my latest WIP, I use 19th Nervous Breakdown by the Rolling STONEs that my detective called STONE bangs out on his guitar. The song has significance to his downward spiral of a mood, and also cements him as a blues fan.

I don't use the lyrics as such.

While using a song in literature, it can date the story, but as long as it has relevence to either the story, the characters background, or to set the time frame - fine.

Edited: Oops Kindleboards didn't like the use of Pxssycat Dols and changed it to [killen]cat Dolls, lol. So politically correct and wrong of the software to do so.

See what happens to Buzzcocks - that one seems okay. I guess I'll have to blame DT for the earlier name being changed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:01:54 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog