Author Topic: Audiobook file preparation  (Read 279 times)  

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
Audiobook file preparation
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:18:46 AM »
What do you change if anything when you are preparing your eBook or book file for narration?

What parts should be taken out, modified, or added on, generally, from the original book file?

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Audiobook file preparation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
What do you change if anything when you are preparing your eBook or book file for narration?

What parts should be taken out, modified, or added on, generally, from the original book file?

Are you using ACX for audiobook production? If so, the ebook and the audio need to be virtually identical in order to enable Whispersync:  https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201014330

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:07:16 PM »
I'm planning to use Findaway Voices, but they will distribute it to ACX. Does it matter in that case?

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »
My understanding is that Findaway Voices plays the same role ACX plays, in that they provide the platform for the author and narrator to meet and produce the audiobook, then they distribute the book. If that's right, they wouldn't be distributing to ACX, but to Audible. Whispersync links Audible with Kindle, but they can't link if the two versions are substantially different.

I've never used Findaway Voices, so someone may come along with different information, but logically it would make sense that the ebook and audiobook have to match or there's no way to know how/when/where to sync.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 02:14:14 PM »
For Tantor, they asked for a PDF copy of the manuscript I uploaded for the ebook.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »
I've started with Findaway and have hit the 'go' button for a narrator, I'll let you know how it goes when I get started.

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix |

Online Loosecannon

• Western frontier
    • View Profile
    • Modus Operandi Press
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
Just the story...no front matter(other than require Title/copyright/production notices), back matter, Author's Notes, Foreword,  etc.  then right on to Chap. 1 thru The End. Listener's want just the story and basically nothing else.