Author Topic: Need a kind of specialized cover design job done.  (Read 715 times)  

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
Need a kind of specialized cover design job done.
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
I want to have the cover of A King Uncaged redone to be closer to the style of A King Ensnared, and I want to keep the typographical element because it is used on all three novels in that series.

I am sure this is not a job that would suit most cover designers. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get in touch with the designer who originally did that cover. So if any designer would be interested in discussing this, would you PM me please? Thanks!

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Virginia McClain's Blog
Re: Need a kind of specialized cover design job done.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:41:11 PM »
It would be easy enough to lift the typography from the first design and use it on a redesign (assuming you have a high-resolution copy somewhere). But was the art for A King Ensnared original or is that stock from somewhere? If it's original then you'd replicating it will be difficult, and if it's stock then finding similar stock might be difficult, but it might not.
Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs & Formatting

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »
Obviously, I didn't really make myself clear. Sorry.

It is original, and I don't want to replicate it. I just want something that is somewhat similar in ... mood is the best word I can think of. The current A King Uncaged cover is also original art. I happen to have the painting on my wall, but it is far too busy.  I realise now that as pretty as it is, it doesn't work as a book cover.

Of course, it won't match exactly, I just want something that doesn't sort of stick out like a sore thumb, shouting (if a sore thumb could shout 😜) "I don't fit in this series". The cover of the third novel is even grimmer.

ETA: Although the first cover is art and not a photo, I think a carefully chosen photo properly manipulated might work for the second. At any rate, I think one could be done that would be less at odds in mood.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:56:37 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »
Obviously, I didn't really make myself clear. Sorry.

It is original, and I don't want to replicate it. I just want something that is somewhat similar in ... mood is the best word I can think of. The current A King Uncaged cover is also original art. I happen to have the painting on my wall, but it is far too busy.  I realise now that as pretty as it is, it doesn't work as a book cover.

Of course, it won't match exactly, I just want something that doesn't sort of stick out like a sore thumb, shouting (if a sore thumb could shout 😜) "I don't fit in this series". The cover of the third novel is even grimmer.

ETA: Although the first cover is art and not a photo, I think a carefully chosen photo properly manipulated might work for the second. At any rate, I think one could be done that would be less at odds in mood.

Sorry, poor word choice. Was at the ER with my daughter until 2am last night and my brain has not yet recovered. I meant replicating the look, not the artwork itself. It might be possible to replicate the look from A King Ensnared with a composite photo manipulation... if it were me doing it, I wouldn't feel confident until I'd had a good look through some stock sites to see what I could find that would suit, and even then I don't know if I could do a good enough job in the time I generally budget for a custom cover. But someone else could probably get the job done easily enough. What price range were you hoping for?

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Hope your daughter is okay.

I would prefer not to go above $300 if possible (for the ebook cover, not including print). I have at times paid considerably more for covers, but I'm still smarting from taxes so I think that would be near the most I could pay. I realise that is on the low side but sometimes the budget is tight.

ETA: I honestly don't think I could have a new one done that matches less in tone and mood than the current one, so I am willing to settle for a less than perfect match if it's a good cover.  ???
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:10:49 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
Anyone?

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline BrentNichols

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • coolseriescovers.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
Imma put together a quick mockup or two. I'll PM you when I have something that might work.

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
Thanks! I appreciate it.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Hope your daughter is okay.

I would prefer not to go above $300 if possible (for the ebook cover, not including print). I have at times paid considerably more for covers, but I'm still smarting from taxes so I think that would be near the most I could pay. I realise that is on the low side but sometimes the budget is tight.

ETA: I honestly don't think I could have a new one done that matches less in tone and mood than the current one, so I am willing to settle for a less than perfect match if it's a good cover.  ???

She is fine now, thanks for being concerned! She bumped her head and needed six stitches. It was a long night, but we're all feeling better a few good nights of sleep.

As for the cover I fall well within your budget, but I wouldn't be able to start on it until August. I'll poke around some stock sites and see if I can find something that would suit and if I find something good I can send you a mockup. Let me know if you find someone else in the meantime. :-)

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »
Unfortunately I really want the cover sooner than August, but I will be needing another cover in the series later this year. 😜

ETA: One of my previous designers is no longer available and two others currently out of my price range. *sigh*

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline Lorna_Reid

• Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
Unfortunately I really want the cover sooner than August, but I will be needing another cover in the series later this year. 😜

ETA: One of my previous designers is no longer available and two others currently out of my price range. *sigh*

Hi JRTomlin :) My partner is the cover-designer for our business, AuthorPackages.com, and I had him read through your post and look at your covers. We can make space to fit you in before August, no problem, and most covers get turned around in two to three days.

You can visit the site here: https://www.AuthorPackages.com
And here's a link to our portfolio page: https://www.authorpackages.com/custom_book_covers/
and testimonials: https://www.authorpackages.com/testimonials :)

If you think we're a good fit, then fill in the contact form or drop him an email: mark@authorpackages.com
Lorna Reid | Website | Buy Books

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
and last try lol .. apart from not knowing what image you want as the base this should do it... but I can send you the title with the right font if you like.. it can be set over anything else if you don't like this. I also overlaid the guy into a background so there are no exact copies out there.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:08:41 PM by Pandorra »

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion