Author Topic: Accessing someone else's KDP  (Read 816 times)  

Online garygibson

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gary Gibson
Accessing someone else's KDP
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »
Sounds dodgy, I know, but I was thinking of helping out a friend with his low-ranking ebooks and seemed to recall reading somewhere it's possible to access someone's KDP by having them name you as an 'editor' so you can do stuff like optimise keywords and (maybe?) AMS search terms for them. I may be wrong about this, since I googled for details and found nothing. Now I'm wondering if I misread something in the past. Am I?

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Re: Accessing someone else's KDP
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
You can just use Team Viewer to access his computer, and then he can watch while you make changes on his pages.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Online garygibson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:28:07 AM »
You can just use Team Viewer to access his computer, and then he can watch while you make changes on his pages.

Team Viewer is new to me, but I'll check it out.

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
Are you meaning access to AMS or KDP?

AMS has a 'User Management' link in the top navigation bar where your friend can add you as an admin or editor, and you can help them manage their ads that way, helping to optimize their keywords, bids, etc. An 'editor' designation won't give you access to their personal deets, just the necessary ad stuff.

If your friend trusts you with the keys to KDP, including their SSN and bank deets (they need to be a really close friend!), then you can sign in with their credentials, if they need your help there.

That way you don't need to coordinate schedules with Team Viewer or any other app that lets you share desktops/take control. But if you do share in real time, you can also teach as you go.

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
Someone can add you as an editor to manage their AMS ads (I do this for a few clients), but I am unaware of any way to allow someone access you your KDP dash other than giving them your password (which I obviously do not recommend).

Online garygibson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 01:56:23 AM »
That's good to know. I suppose accessing the KDP isn't strictly necessary, but the AMS would certainly be more important. Thanks for clarifying my badly remembered details.

Offline AuthorX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:44:02 AM »
Don't do it...

I've read reports of people getting banned because their friend came over and logged into their KDP account from their computer. KDP is strict about only having one active KDP account, have it might throw up red flags if you login to others from your computer.

I'm not saying that anything will happen for sure, but it's not worth putting yourself on the radar or facing the downtime and stress if they decide to erroneously ban you.

Why not just have your friend send you a link to his books on Amazon? You can then send him a list of keywords, book description, work with him on his covers, etc. I don't see any reason why you'd need to login to his account to help him optimize.

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
There's also the moral issue. Do you want to be responsible for anything bad that happens to your friend's books? It's much better to make suggestions or do the Team Viewer thing while on the phone or whatever live, talking to the friend, and let the friend take the ultimate decision-making role.

Strange as it may seem, these decisions are very personal, and what's you're talking about is an invasion of personal space. A good way to lose a friend.

Schedule a conference call and do it together.