Author Topic: Interpreting Bookbub CPC Ad Results  (Read 383 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Interpreting Bookbub CPC Ad Results
« on: July 12, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
This is how my ad with BookBub has performed in its first three days:

My interpretation is this: They put up a lot of impressions on the first day, then decided, based on clicks, that it was a dud, so didn't put up as many impressions on days 2 and 3.

Or is there another explanation for the twenty-fold drop in impressions?

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline kpat

• View Profile
Re: Interpreting Bookbub CPC Ad Results
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
Al, could be a few reasons. I think the most likely reason is your bid level. In my experience, the closer to the weekend one gets, the higher bids go, then they come back down after the weekend is over. But Bookbub's algorithms are wacky. As an example, I have an ad running that 3 days ago had 27,674 impressions and 194 clicks. The following day, with no changes in bid, targeting or anything else, the same ad generated 356 impressions and 12 clicks. I wouldn't give up. I'd try upping your bid, first. If that doesn't spur activity, then I'd suggest revisiting your ad creative and targeting.

K. Patrick Donoghue | Facebook | Goodreads | Author website

Online KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
Al, my results are similar to yours. My first two test ads have been running for almost two weeks. 90% of the impressions were generated within the first two days of going live. After that, crickets. When they tell you that people are bidding between X and Y for those clicks, if you aren't bidding Y it looks like BB's algos aren't going to bother with you. I haven't had a single click yet that where the cost was less than the bid setting.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
Al, my results are similar to yours. My first two test ads have been running for almost two weeks. 90% of the impressions were generated within the first two days of going live. After that, crickets. When they tell you that people are bidding between X and Y for those clicks, if you aren't bidding Y it looks like BB's algos aren't going to bother with you. I haven't had a single click yet that where the cost was less than the bid setting.

Second this. BB basically did not run my low-bid ad. It ran my much higher bid ads.

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »
I get the same results, but if you run the ad for a week you'll find that on certain random days you'll get more clicks. It has to do with the size of other bids. Weekend bids can get very high, so I don't bother. Tuesday ads in horror and sci-fi can be as low as .20 per click -- or 3.50 per 1M if you're paying for impressions. I also noticed you get more exposures if you pay for impressions (but, of course, you risk wasting money with no clicks).
It's all hit or miss. Sometimes success, sometimes not, and sometimes no impressions.

Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »
I should also note that it depends on how you are targeting. I've never done well with broad targeting, such as a whole genre. However, if you zero in on specific authors, my ads do much better.

Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:16:49 PM »
Also, advertising a freebie (perma or otherwise) does really well.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:33 PM »
I'm still trying to crack the code of the BB ads. Last month (June) I started an ad for Into The Wishing Well that took off. It was spending its budget every day, with bids at .50 cents. It got to the point I halved my daily budget because I was going to run into serious money problems if I didn't. The ad still got a lot of impressions and clicked through its new budget every day.

Then, during the last week of the month I paused it to stop the outflow of money.

Come about the third of July I restarted the ad with no changes at all. Same focused target authors, same bid and same ad. It rattled off one or two days of good results and then started looking like your ad. It's nosedived and hasn't recovered since. It is not performing anywhere near what it was doing in June.

It's a mystery to me.
The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2 (gone to editor): 100%

Crossing The Veil (July Camp NaNoWriMo): 37%

Brownies & Bullets: 20%
I shall destroy everything you love and then rip your beating heart from your chest! Yeah? Bring it jackass!
D Glenn Casey | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com

Online TheLass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:59:48 AM »
I've had pretty much the same result as Al these past few days - a few hundred impressions the first day with a few clicks (low CTR) and much lower impressions the following days. 

But I'm bidding much lower than their suggestion.  I've raised the bid a bit and, given what Rod says about weekend bids, will wait till next week to see how the new bid fairs.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac