Author Topic: Launching at Full Price instead of 99c  (Read 1597 times)  

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
Launching at Full Price instead of 99c
« on: July 12, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
It's release day for my sci-fi novel, "Space Deputy", so it's too early to draw conclusions from this launch (it's still in progress, after all), but compared to previous launches where the book was 99c (this one is $3.99), there are fewer sales. Some of that could be my fault. I had "Space Deputy" up on a long pre-order and it limped along, ignored by (nearly) all. Like a balloon deflating. The other challenge is that the places I would consider advertising the new book aren't interested in running full price books. So I have a small FB ad, a few Amazon ads (only one of which, targeted at sci-fi authors, is getting any significant clicks - I started the ads a day early by mistake, hence I have some ad data for Amazon) and I've told my Facebook followers and my small newsletter list

The upside is the rank has made it into the 2,000s with only about 20 sales, so Kindle Unlimited peeps (may your kindles never run out of charge) must be picking it up. Which leads me into a new hypothesis: does Amazon push full price books more than 99c ones to its KU subscribers? Because this is a high rank for one of my books.

Now, I will go back to obsessing about "Space Deputy" while pretending to work on the next book :)

Jenny Schwartz | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Launching at Full Price instead of 99c
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
I forgot to add a shout out and thanks to Cora at the Speculative Fiction Showcase for featuring "Space Deputy" on its release day - thanks, Cora :)

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »
Following with interest, Jenny!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
Thanks, Becca. I feel a tad less obsessive if my obsession interests someone else.

Quick update: on the Amazon.com site, the rank has just sneaked in below 2k with 24 sales reported for the day so far.

Online jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
I forgot to add a shout out and thanks to Cora at the Speculative Fiction Showcase for featuring "Space Deputy" on its release day - thanks, Cora :)
Just wanted to chime in and agree that Cora is outstanding, as is the Speculative Fiction Showcase.

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Online CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »
Thanks, Jaxon and Jenny. It's always a pleasure to feature your books.

Cora Buhlert | Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram | [url=http://www.pint

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:34:05 PM »
I always launch at full price. I'm in this for the long term ;-)

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Offline Jack Krenneck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 01:54:52 AM »
Launching at 99c will get more sales (but earn less money short term). The general theory is to get momentum happening (also boughts, recommendation emails etc.) and then up the discounted price to a regular price later. Because of the momentum (i.e. sales history) the book becomes more sticky and earns more than it would have if launched at the regular price. That's the theory anyway.

My experience is that it works. My experience is also that borrows dip a bit at a low price and increase at full price. Whether or not Amazon pushes full price books more to KU subscribers I don't know. My guess is that they don't.

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 06:40:30 AM »
I'm wide, so bear than in mind if you're looking at my data point.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC. (Mac soon)

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »
I launch at $2.99 and then I usually do a Freebooksy day a few days after and go up to $3.99. That usually gets things rolling well. I launch books in KU, then go wide after the first 3 months.

Online Shane Lochlann Black

• Lexicon Hollow
  • Write something funny by 4PM or you're fired.
    • View Profile
    • The Committee to Ban Shane Lochlann Black
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
When considering price, just remember a bag of frozen water at the grocery store is $3.99   Lunch at Togo's is $15. 

Congratulations on the launch.   8)

Offline Sakonchai

• Kindle Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
I don't know how long did you use in your previous launch pre-order, but the ideal time is for 5-7 days because you have to use scarcity to your customer. You can tell your customer who pre-order will get bonus and special price before it launch(After launch they can't get).
So in this strategy will get your customer take action immidiately when they see your ads. If you want to get the great result, You have to learn more about the strategies of launch book.

And from my experience, Launch with full price isn't bad thing but it's not for a long term. keep in mind, your launch goal is not for get revenue only but for get review as much as possible. So you have to get a lot of sales by set price at $0.99 ($0.99 will get the highest sales)

Offline judygoodwin

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • My Writerly World
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
It's long been observed that Amazon rank increases *are* tied to price--so a sale of a book at $7.99 book which rise more in rank than the sale of a $0.99 book. So launching at full price can be good because each sale counts more. But I agree with the strategies above--after about a week when your pre-orders have hit and you've given customers the chance to buy it early at full price, you can lower it to 99 cents and do some promos to generate more sales and hopefully make it "sticky."
"Have fun storming the castle!" --Miracle Max

|      |        
Judy Goodwin | author website _____________________ J.T. Hall  |  website  Amazon Author Page

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 03:27:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the congrats, advice and data points.

To wrap up launch day - on Amazon.com "Space Deputy" sold 30 copies. It got 5,700 pages read in KU (in America) and peaked at rank 1,917.

I don't always have useful data to supply, and I'm not sure how useful this is, but it's something. One note though, I had Amazon ads running for the first book in my other sci-fi series through May and June. This may have influenced Amazon's ability to target the ads for "Space Deputy". I don't know.

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 05:19:33 PM »
And because I just have to share the news ... Space Deputy just got an orange tag on Amazon - the first ever for one of my books! "#1 New Release in Science Fiction TV, Movie & Game Tie-In"

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »
It's long been observed that Amazon rank increases *are* tied to price--so a sale of a book at $7.99 book which rise more in rank than the sale of a $0.99 book. So launching at full price can be good because each sale counts more. But I agree with the strategies above--after about a week when your pre-orders have hit and you've given customers the chance to buy it early at full price, you can lower it to 99 cents and do some promos to generate more sales and hopefully make it "sticky."

I just wanted to clarify this in the case of any confusion. Unless something has changed very recently, those who've studied rank in depth (not me! But I'm very grateful to them for sharing their wisdom!) have concluded that price *does not* affect the bestseller ranks. A buy or a borrow is worth the same regardless of price. (There is a weighted affect of sales history, however. So I believe an older purchase that was still within the last 30 days will have some affect but less than a buy today.)

But, sales price *does* seem to be factored in to the pop-list placing. And some would argue that the pop-list is far more important than the bestseller list since it's the one customers are directed to from the main Amazon page and seems to be the one that influences Amazon recommendations, etc.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Online jb1111

• PNW US
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:40 PM »
^^^^^ Thank you for the clarification. Was curious about whether price affected rank.

BTW What is a 'pop-list'?

Offline Itsro

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 12:57:45 AM »
Congrats, Jenny. That's a very nice full price launch.

It's 12:57 pst and you're sitting at: Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,414 Paid, for a 3.99 priced book.

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 02:38:26 AM »
^^^^^ Thank you for the clarification. Was curious about whether price affected rank.

BTW What is a 'pop-list'?

The bestseller list is the one you get to by following the links from a book page (the three categories below the overall bestseller rank). It shows the top 100 books in the sub-category with numbers next to them and has a link to the numbered hot new releases list. The pop-list is the one you get to by navigating from the main Amazon page. If you click through to kindle books and then drill down into sub-categories, youll get a list of all the books in the sub-cat. Theyre ordered but not actually numbered.

I hope that helps!

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Online Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 12:22:05 PM »
And because I just have to share the news ... Space Deputy just got an orange tag on Amazon - the first ever for one of my books! "#1 New Release in Science Fiction TV, Movie & Game Tie-In"

Congratulations.

What TV show, movie or game is the book a tie-in for that it got into that category?

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »
Thanks, Itsro! Wow, that's cool :)

Shelley, Space Deputy isn't tied to a TV show, movie or game - one of life's ironies.  It's also ranking in "space fleet", which it isn't (although a space navy is mentioned).