Kindle Forum banner

Alexa Acccessories Notification - what?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Gertie Kindle 
#1 ·
A notification is showing up on my Kindle fires (different generations) that says Alexa Accessories.  It doesn't lead anywhere when clicked or pressed, except to an information thing.  The information thing lets me turn on then off again some Alexa notifications (which were all disabled to begin with because I don't use Alexa), and it disappears for a while.  Then it comes back!

What kind of madness is this?  I think Alexa is scary and do not want it or any "accessories" activated on my devices.  I don't want it to keep trying to turn itself on either (if that's what this is).

Yes, I'm starting to wonder if I should find a different sort of e-reader or tablet in future (and I've always loved my kindles!).  I really don't want Amazon recording or talking to me in my home, or somehow sneaking around my refusal to allow that. 

#2 ·
I also don't want to use alexa, but I feel you maybe are being a touch paranoid, all the major devices have their own version, it is , apparently the future, so there's no escape, really having something as good as alexa on a budget device is a major tick for Amazon, for most people at least,

Amazon are just reminding you it's there, which is a) annoying and b) typical of smart devices that are programmed to consider you incapable of making an informed decision on your own,

It happened to me a lot at one time, I just kept killing it, till eventually it got the message, maybe it will start up again ? It's not the end of the workd, notrdo Amazon have ears listening to you discussing the price of cat food, they don't need Alexa sto listen to you if that was there intent, they could just program the device to do that and not give you the option to turn it off,
Google on the other hand, which is what you would get if you changed devices, do have a reputation for collecting( and some what dubious use),s of an inordinate amount of data on peope, which is why paranoid people general refuse to use Google devices and perhaps buy a kindle in preference.

Just be greatful it hasn't got gps, so at least they can't track your movements, :eek:

#3 ·
Alexa, Siri, Bixby ... they're becoming ubiquitous, so we're going to need to adjust. Do you put a piece of tape over the camera on your devices? They can easily be controlled remotely (check some of the permissions you have to give apps). Now THAT'S scary! :)

#4 ·
Being somewhat bored with sitting in all day in this oppressive heat, I pulled out a couple of old Kindle Fires, a HD8 and a HDX.  I was surprised that the 8 was still 100% charged  after being stored away, not connected after at least 18 months, the HDX not so much. I cleared cache, deleted some apps, not that they ever had that many and they both are still slower than cold molasses.  My Fire 10 is a supersonic rocket compared to those two, I just wish I could get a smaller fire with similar performance.

Always looking for better tech i got a Samsung Galaxy S3,my only anderoid device, and like it, although at times would like a smaller screen.  It it the fastest most reliable thing i have seen using the Kindle app, downloads are almost instanteous .  Comparatively my Ipad pro is slow, although having used iphones and ipads for many more years like the operation and system of the Apple I0s a lot better, just more familiar i suppose.

I just wish there was some way of speeding the older Fire kindles up and make them more reliable.  I even tried complete factory resets in the past and nothing helped, i think they were just destined to be slow.

#5 ·
I haven't tried this from the Digital Addicts Blog, so can't speak to if it actually works...

"This bothersome Alexa Accessories notification icon seems to have been born from the Fire's recent OS patch. This patch was created to introduce the new "Show Mode" for Amazon's tablets. Hitting "Force Stop" in the Apps' settings makes the icon disappear temporarily-but it returns when you use Alexa again. So, what else can you do? Well, I'll tell you.

Long-press the Alexa Accessories notification icon until an "i" icon appears next to it. Then tap the "I" to go to its settings. From there switch on the block notifications option. The icon will disappear. Then switch it back off. The Alexa Accessories icon should stay off after that. However, I've heard it returns after you either force-stop and relaunch Alexa or restart your tablet. I don't usually shut my tablet down, so I've not had the icon come back … yet. There. Feel better? Yeah. Me too. Enjoy your weekend! "

https://digitaladdictsblog.com/alexa-accessories-notification-icon/

#6 ·
I just got a Fire HD 10 and had the same problem.  Blocking the notification seems to take care of it - for now.
However, this morning I had additional notifications for Reminders, Calendars and Alarms (one each) that also didn't do anything.  When I long-pressed one of them, it took me to notification settings for Alexa Cards.  I know I turned those off yesterday, so apparently sometimes Amazon exercises its Microsoft muscles and thinks it knows what I want...
But the 10 is so much faster than my 8 - I'll put up with having to turn stuff off more than once if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.