Kindle Forum banner

Kindle DX

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ahro 
#1 ·
In some ways it's hard to write an objective review of a product you've been really excited about for a long time, got a week or so ago, and just love to this point.

However, despite that disclaimer, I present to you my review of the Kindle DX.

First, to tell you a little about myself, I am a married father of two children.  We're getting ready to move so that I can finish grad school as a full-time student (distance learning wasn't cutting it).

I researched e-readers for a long time and never justified buying one for many reasons.  That is until my wife called me from work one day to research which was the best.  I jumped on this and told her value-wise it was the Kindle2, DX, or Nook, depending on what you wanted it for.  She asked me to do some more research, and I was convinced that the DX was best for me.  Surprise, surprise, I got a nice Amazon box as an early Father's Day present.

Reasons to choose the DX:

1. Size
Certainly, size is often seen as a drawback in electronics.  However, for ease of reading, the size of the DX works to its advantage.  Despite my intentions to keep it away from my kids, I downloaded a sample for my 8YO daughter while waiting at the doctor's office.  She loved it, once I set the font to a size that didn't overwhelm her with the amount of text on the page.  My elderly father asked my mom for two after he saw it.  We asked him why two, and he said, "one for each eye."  But seriously, he liked the adjustable fonts.  Granted you get those on a smaller ereader, but you get more text per page on the DX.  Size plays a part in other aspects of my review as you will see.

2. Native PDF
Size plays a part here.  I read a lot of PDFs for school, and the Kindle displays them beautifully.  Conversion is not so good (for academic PDFs with footnotes and other formatting), but I've tried it because I'd like to highlight and annotate in the text from time to time.  The DX screen is wonderful for just displaying the text of a PDF, certainly compared to the K2 or the Nook.

3.  Overall Reading Experience
I'm right handed and a big 6ft4in tall, so the one-sided controls and weight of the DX haven't been a comfort issue for me.  To the contrary, I like the balance and heft.  The nook was awkward to hold, IMO, compared to either of the Kindles.  Put a nice, or not so nice cover on the DX, and you still get some of the tactile pleasure of holding a DTB.  I'm using an M-Edge platform (black, synthetic leather) and the M-Edge light.  I've found the DX a pleasure to read from for hours at a time.  My wife likes that I can read in bed, and I like that I can do so without having to adjust the light at every page turn.  You can't avoid that with DTBs in the dark, at least with the lights I've used.  But this tangent will overflow into an upcoming cover review...so, anyway, I love to read on this thing.  I can't stare at my laptop for more than 20 minutes without needing a break, and I can't use it for more than an hour without needing something for my headache.  I wish I could hook-up a full-sized QWERTY and type my term papers on this thing.  Are you listening Microsoft?  Word for Kindle--the up and coming app for grad students.

Reasons not to get the Kindle DX:

1. Size
Certainly the heft of the DX might make it a poor choice for some who are smaller or frail.  However, it does have its advantages, and with a stand, it provides a very comfortable read.

2. Book Availability
The DX is touted as a textbook killer, but it is not.  Do not get a DX to display your textbooks, especially if you are in a technical field.  Many texts aren't available, and the DX is limited in it's "flipping" ability.  That is, unless you note the "location" of places you refer to frequently.  On the other hand, for humanities students, the DX might just be the ticket.  One other point: there are more textbooks available from Amazon than from retailers of other ebooks, so if you're set on this purpose, the DX would get my thumbs-up.  Amazon also has a better selection of other books that I need and read.  However, there is no e-pub, DRM Mobi, or DRM PDF compatability, so no buying from the largest competitors or using a library to get e-books.

3.  Battery and Storage
It's been said over and over again, but the DX really could use a replaceable battery and expandable memory.  Maybe I'll never use all my memory, but I could easily move all my non-DRM books and PDFs between devices if I had an SD card to hold them in my Kindle.  I really hate the sealed battery concept.  The nook battery retails for around $30.  With my DX wireless on to receive periodical updates, I don't get much more than 4-5 days of charge, if that.  I haven't tested the duration of a full charge with wireless off the entire time, because that probably won't ever be me.  So compared to other readers, this time is a little low, but listed specs always give a best-case, don't they?  Still, 4-5 days is a significant amount of time, but it means I'll have to pack the charger when I go on vacation.  And the charger is smaller than an extra battery would be if I carried a spare.

So, 3 points for, and 3 points against (sort of).  These devices are great, and to some extent the right choice depends on the user.  I foresee the DX and its descendants being the choice of many in the future.  I could say more, but anything software related is bound to change with future updates, making such a discussion here a fruitless addition.  Take my 2 cents for what it's worth.  I for one am a happy DX user.

See less See more
#4 ·
Martel47 said:
Certainly, size is often seen as a drawback in electronics. However, for ease of reading, the size of the DX works to its advantage.
I completely agree

Usually when electronic are bigger and bulkier, they are usually outdated and a nuisance.

When it comes to reading though, the bigger the item the easier it is to read. Its kind of like televisions.

People really like their big screens in order to see better

#5 ·
All y'all are welcome.  I'm still loving my DX. 

With the price drop on the K2, It's a great value, but I'd still go with the DX for my needs.  There is no single "perfect" reader out there, just the best one for your needs at the moment.

#6 ·
I was just reminded about something I meant to include in the original review.

I love reading the DX in the privacy of my throne room, if you catch my meaning.  Very convenient and comfortable.  (I understand this might be mostly a guy thing).

Also, I've been reading a newspaper subscription on the DX, and I love it.  Multiple options for browsing and scanning sections and articles is great.

#8 ·
Thanks for the review (KDXG review anywone?). I can see how some may be just pissed off that Amazon didn't release both at the same time. Anyway, the screen size of the Kindle 2 is almost perfect for me. Up to this point (KDXG release) I haven't been much interested in DX but thought that the price tag was pretty much justified. Now I'm sure it really is and to be honest I'm very tempted to buy a graphite KDX.

#10 ·
Nauman, you are most welcome.

Now, if only I could get my wife to stop reading my DX...it has school books on it after all.

Too bad I ordered her birthday present after it was "sold out".  Who knows when she'll get her new K3.  I miss my DX.

#11 ·
Kindle DX has just become available to those of us in UK - so, if my questions seem outdated, I apologise in advance!

I have a Kindle 3G, which I love. My husband is sight impeded, and finds the largest font size available on my 6ins Kindle just a fraction too small to read with ease, and obviously, the screen size limits the number of words per page the larger the font size. He has a Mac computer, so books are downloaded via Kindle to that. Downside to that is screen glare and lack of mobility in comparison to the Kindle.

So - my question - given the larger screen size on the Kindle DX - is the largest size print/font  ALSO comparatively larger - say one size larger than that on the Kindle 3G. If it is, it will be a godsend, and an improvement on the laptop being used at the moment.

Thank you for your patience.

Anne griffiths

#12 ·
Unfortunately the difference is minimal. I have both and have just measured a capital 'S' in the regular typeface. In the largest size font, the DX letter is only about 1mm taller than on the K3. The only difference, as you say, is that you can get more words to a page and at that size it does make a real difference - about twice as many words.

Incidentally, we have been able to buy the DX over here in the UK since the early part of 2010 - though even with the advent of the UK store, it's still only available from the US.

#14 ·
Tinderbox (UK) said:
Yeah, I got my DXG from eBay a few months ago, for £280 :mad: a lot of money , but the K3 is just too small, I love the DXG but the range of accessories is very limited.
Absolutely agree. And my older DX doesn't have a great interface and the keyboard is for the tiny people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.