Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: 25 Random Things About You  (Read 474127 times)  

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
Re: 25 Random Things About You
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »
I learned SCUBA on my own. The Navy didn't teach me that.

...or suffer the consequences   :)
See my edit. ;D
At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline Wannabe

• PA
  • Member #391
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 11:51:30 AM »

6. My first job was at Dorney Park (it was a family owed amusement parkat the time )

Dalene

Cool! Do you still live in PA? I've been looking for someone on here from PA but no such luck so far. I live in Lancaster County.
BTW, welcome to the boards.

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »
There is a reason I said I am usually the smartest person in the room. Jim does have a higher IQ, but it is part of the attraction. I have come to terms with the situation and make proper adjustments.

I learned a long time ago not to advertise my intelligence, but not to deny it either.

Offline Wannabe

• PA
  • Member #391
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
OK, here goes:
1. My first car was a used bright orange Ford Pinto for which I paid $600.
2. I married my high school sweetheart 21 years ago.
3. My husband is my best friend.
4. I dropped out of college after two semesters and that is one of the biggest regrets of my life.
5. I went back to school in 2007 to finish what I started.
6. The best thing about my home is the tree shaded backyard.
7. I have two dogs and one cat.
8. My favorite article of clothing is cropped pants.
9. I laugh very loudly.
10. I enjoy creating greeting cards with rubber stamps.
11. I love fresh-brewed iced tea but hate store-bought iced tea.
12. My favorite TV show is "Psych."
13. My favorite movie is "Remember the Titans."
14. Spring is my favorite season.
15. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
16. I read the directions on shampoo, toothpaste, and the like, but hardly ever follow them.
17. The older I get, the more I hate the cold weather.
18. I'd like to have a cabin in the woods.
19. I love to write.
20. I enjoy being alone but I hardly ever am.
21. I'm trying to lose 20 pounds before spring (14.5 to go!).
22. Before I die, I'd like to see the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.
23. I hate talking on the telephone.
24. I don't like to travel but I envy people who travel.
25. I really admire my daughter.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »

16. I read the directions on shampoo, toothpaste, and the like, but hardly ever follow them.

As Phoebe sang:

Lather, rinse, repeat
Lather, rinse, repeat
Lather, rinse, repeat
Lather, rinse, repeat.....

...as needed
At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline imallbs

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »
1.   My favorite part of flying is take off and landing
2.   I lived in northern Illinois for 10 years
3.   That's when I became a Cubs fan
4.   We rescued an injured chipmunk and kept him/her as a pet for 3 years
5.   Action adventure is my favorite type of movie
6.   I'm the 2nd of 4 children
7.   I have no children of my own but I'm a great aunt, just ask me nieces and nephews
8.   I read very little fiction before high school but have been an avid reader of nonfiction since the 1st grade
9.   I enjoy US and European History and still study it when time allows
10.   I am a social worker by day and work in the fascinating world of retail sales nights and weekends
11.   I am a klutz (I trip over dust)
12.   I love Calvin and Hobbes and Curious George
13.   I was introduced to Science Fiction my last year of college and it became my favorite genre
14.   I like watching campy science fiction movies and TV (Go Flash Go!)
15.   Spelling was my worst subject in school
16.   My 1st car was a Karmann Ghia.   The windows would ice up as I was driving
17.   It was when I was living in Illinois when I started saying y'all.  It is now as ingrained in me as saying hey instead of hello.
18.   I was on TV when I was 9
19.   I played the Clarinet in high school and still play when I'm alone and the windows are closed
20.   I have a cactus that is 6 feet tall it was 1 inches when I got it
21.   I love roller coasters
22.   Chocolate is my favorite food group
23.   My father was 1st generation American; my mother traces her family back to colonial days
24.   I don't have a cell phone never have
25.   I like living in a city

Offline bosslady402

• Niagara Falls
  • the artist at work
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
1)Fourth of 6 kids, but oldest girl; which is reason why I now choose to see housework as optional in my own house

2)#1 is also reason I ended up a reading so much; to escape the chaos when you cant escape the chaos!

3)Got a BS in management, concentration in accounting, from SUNY@Buffalo, 86.

4)Got the highest grade on the Management Accounting final exam, out of probably 200 students.

5)Worked in banking for 18 years, mostly in cost accounting but also in budgeting, systems analysis, programming and cost management. Loved the work, but quit because of the stress of the corporate environment; they wanted to promote me higher, but wanted my soul in exchange.

6)Have owned a Subway franchise for past 6 years. DH and both sons now work with me there.

7)Met DH in the dorms, because of a salami sandwich had leftover salami from a sandwich I got in the cafeteria; knew this guy in our suite wasnt on foodservice. Are you Andre?  yeah Are you off foodservice? yeah You want some salami? sure! 5 months later we were engaged. Married nearly 23 years.

8)Learned how to sew when I was 9; was making my own clothes by junior high school. Designed and made my wedding dress and my sisters, various prom gowns and evening gowns.  Have thought about doing it as a 3rd career or retirement job.

9)I can crack an egg in each hand without breaking the yolks. Learned this from working the grill in the campus cafeteria for a few years.

10)Favorite movies: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, True Lies, Fifth Element, The Saint, Pride and Prejudice, 50 First Dates.

11)Favorite TV series: Star Trek (all except for Enterprise) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, CSI and any of the natural disaster stuff on Discovery Channel.

12)Favorite Books: sorry, too many to list.

13)Favorite restaurants are Red Lobster and Salvatores Italian Gardens

14)Never been unemployed jobs just seemed to show up when I needed them. Same for DH.

15)I am a master procrastinator but very efficient. They usually cancel each other out.

16)I am very self-sufficient, therefore I find it hard to relate to people who rely too much on external factors or other people to get through life.

17)I cut, color and highlite my own hair, but when I get compliments I cant help but tell the truth that I cut it with a Flow-bee.

18)Have two tattoos and a couple piercings. Would get another tattoo, but cant decide on what to put where

19)Believe it or not, have had the  same style purse for more than 10 years. Bought one, used it till it wore out; found new one of same style (and color) and this time bought two. Dont know what Ill do when this last one wears out.

20)I hate telemarketers

21)Ive always gotten along better with men than I do women; just seems like most of the women Ive worked with or have known, have had fewer dimensions to their personalities than the men; and I like people who are multi-dimensional.

22)Luckily for #21, DH is not the jealous type. Especially because he knows he is #1 best friend.

23)Biggest pet-peeve when I first opened the business, people automatically assumed it was my husband who ran everything; I had to kick him a few times before he finally started correcting people on that topic.

24)Both DH and I were raised in semi-religious households, but when we each got old enough to think for ourselves, ended up atheists.

25)This is the only on-line forum that I have ever participated in.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
I learned a long time ago not to advertise my intelligence,

I made the mistake of advertising my intelligence once. Someone made me an offer too good to refuse and I sold it to them.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »
I made the mistake of advertising my intelligence once. Someone made me an offer too good to refuse and I sold it to them.

Mike
HA!  And all you got in payment was a horse head.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
  • Member 527
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
I decided to compose my 25 before I read very many of these.  Everyone else seems so much more interesting, I was afraid I'd chicken out and not post anything. 

1.  My sister was born with spina bifida when I was 7 years old.  What she has been through, and what we've been through as a family, has completely defined my life.  I would not have it any other way.
2.  I have 3 kids, Steve, Sarah, Dan, that turned about to be such wonderful intelligent adults that I often wonder if they really do belong to me.
3.  I have 35 first cousins, numerous second cousins, and I'm close to almost all of them.  Probably has something to do with being passed around a lot when I was younger and my sister was in the hospital. 
4.  I didn't start college until my youngest started kindergarten.  I was in nursing school, but ended up in english. 
5.  I still can't diagram a sentence very well.
6.  My favorite hobby is cross stitch. 
7.  My favorite snacks are ice cream and Krispy Kreme doughnuts.   
8.  In 7th grade I played Gretl in the high school production of The Sound of Music.  Not because I could sing or act, but because I was so teeny I looked like a 5 year old.
9.  One of my 7th grade teachers told me, when I was being constantly teased because I was so small, that dynamite comes in small packages.  I've never forgotten those words.
10. I do not particularly like to cook, but I don't mind washing the dishes.
11. I was married for 24 years.  I have been divorced for 7. 
12. I have two grandsons, ages 5 and 2.
13. I am a volunteer secretary at our local Sportsmen and Farmer's Association. 
14. My favorite movies are mostly black and whites. 
15. I enjoy Nascar.
16. I enjoy fishing. 
17. My dad and uncles played country music while I was growing up.  They traveled and opened for George Jones.  Hence, my great love of all music, but especially country. 
18. I just started a new job in January that I know I can retire from.  The stability is a great relief. 
19. My first job was at a concession stand at a drive-in theater at the age of 14. 
20. My favorite job was as a stay-at-home mom and wife. 
21. I live alone and I like being alone.  I even like to eat out alone.  (more time to read).
22. I love to spot deer along the roads as I drive.  My son Daniel says if it were an Olympic sport I'd medal.
23. My favorite outdoor spots are waterfalls. 
24. I love to make people laugh.
25. I am a good listener and have been told I'm a good friend.  All of my kids have called me recently and complimented me on my listening and advice giving skills.  It's nice to know they like me as well as love me.   
Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Mom2AshEmBella

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »
1. I have lived in Texas my entire life. So has my Dad, my Grandfather, and great grandfather.
2. I am the oldest of three girls.
3. I got my ears pierced when I was 5. I double pierced them myself when I was in high school.
4. I have one tattoo on my lower back.
5. I am a huge fan of the Dallas Cowboys.
6. I love to watch infomercials. It's amazing what you can get for the low price of $19.99, but if you call now....
7. I drive a minivan.
8. I have an addiction to chocolate.
9. My adult beverage of choice is a frozen margarita with no salt.
10. Pretty Woman is my all time favorite movie. Shawshank Redemption is a close second.
11. I don't eat seafood.
12. I am a terrible dancer, but I enjoy dancing.
13. I always wanted to be an Olympic gymnast. Too bad I have never been able to do a backflip.
14. My husband and I met online. We got engaged 10 months later, married 6 months after that. We've been married for almost 11 years now.
15. My first job was at a waterpark selling admission tickets and season passes. Most fun job I ever had even though I only made minimum wage.
16. Worst job I ever had was at a daycare. I worked there for 2 weeks.
17. My dream vacation consists of going to Italy, France, and Australia.
18. I am hooked on the Young & the Restless. I've watched it since I was in elementary.
19. Coca Cola tastes way better from a can than a fountain.
20. Chick Fil A is the best place for fast food.
21. I want to be a professional shopper when I grow up.
22. Sex and the City is my favorite TV show of all time.
23. My initials are TV.
24. I am terrified of the dentist. Especially the sound of the drill.
25. I took me an hour to come up with this list.

Offline Neekeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
Tagged!  I guess my Kindle will have to wait.

1. Im not watching the Super Bowl.

2. I attended four grade schools (five if you count kindergarten), and in one stretch attended a different school in each of four consecutive school years.  I dont recommend it.

3. I was never that into teddy bears until I was in my 30s and married.

4. I love to bake and eat pumpkin bread.  Hubby doesnt like it.  I dont mind; more for me!

5. I once knew every stat on each player on the Dodgers active 25-man roster.  Now I cant name 3 active players to save my life.

6. Ive had pet turtles for most of my life.  I have two now, ages 27 and 18.

7. I keep my eye out for Western Scrub Jays so I can offer them peanuts.  We used to have a pair that came to our yard everyday.  They even brought their baby.  Then, quite abruptly, they stopped visiting.  I always wonder if the cat next door scared them off. >:(

8. Of the places I have traveled to, the two that I would most like to visit again are Alaska and New Zealand.

9. I have a Masters Degree in Ethics.

10. I have 37 first cousins.

11. The first library my parents ever took me to shared a parking lot with the shopping mall.  My parents learned real fast to go to the mall first, library second.  That way, I wouldnt keep bugging them about taking me home so I could read the entire time they were trying to shop.

12. Whenever scary movie ads come on the TV, I cover my ears and close my eyes if I cant change the channel fast enough.  I always have the remote control with me during the high risk month of October.

13. The only TV show I try to catch on a regular basis is the Suze Orman show.

14. I get cranky if I dont get my 8 hours of sleep.  Sleep is more important than food, but if for some reason I cant have sleep, I make sure I eat.

15. During a one month span, I was in two 7.0+ earthquakes on two separate continents.   Each woke me up in the middle of the night.  It was amazing how much faster I bolted out of bed the second time.

16. I gave up video games cold turkey two years ago because Hubby did it.  It wasnt easy, but it had to be done.

17. The sound of rain falling makes me happy.

18. Each of my cars has been a different shade of blue.

19. Yes, blue is my favorite color.

20. I love coffee, but am quite sensitive to caffeine, so no coffee after noon.  (see #14)

21. Ive never been to Europe.

22. I get along better with people who are a generation older than with people of my own generation.

23. The first time I heard Pachelbels Canon in D Major, I cried.  I dont know why.

24. I have given up watching the news.  It makes me feel angry and helpless.

25. When I was a kid, I fell down the stairs.  Frequently.  Ive been told that this explains a lot.   ???

N :)

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »
This was a fun exercise. Thanks Harvey for starting it.

1. I have 2 sisters, both are younger and we are very close. They both think I am bossy.

2. My middle sister is mentally slow but my parents always encouraged her and she is independent and quite happy. She was born at home in a blizzard and suffered some brain damage. She is a joy to be around.

3. My youngest sister is very talented in painting, sculpting and sews beautifully. Her husband was killed in an auto accident when he was only 36. She has 2 daughters that she has raised on her own.

4. Both of my parents were from large families. 12 children in my Mother's family and 9 children in my Father's.

5. My mother only had a 9th grade education, but was very smart. She studied with my sisters and I and did homework with us. She was always reading and I think that is where I got my love for reading.

6. I have 6 cousins that were born the same year as I was. I have 51 first cousins and I can't begin to count 2nd cousins or 3rd cousins.

7. My maternal grandfather was a Cherokee Indian and was orphaned at the age of 5. He did not read or write, but managed to raise 12 wonderful children. They always said they were poor in money, but rich in love.

8. I went to 13 schools in 12 years. No, my Father wasn't in the military, but was in an airplane crash in WW2 and we moved around a lot due to his injuries. He also had wanderlust and enjoyed finding new places.

9. I have lived in New Mexico, Montana, Oklahoma, Arizona, Illinois, Louisiana and Florida. I was born in New Mexico, but we moved to Montana when I was 2.

10. I was on the Drill Team in High School. We were first drill team the high school had. It was great, we were allowed to name the team and pick our uniforms.

11. I started surfing when I was 14 and did tandem surfing in Texas, California, Hawaii, South Carolina and Florida.

12. I married my surfing partner when I was 17 and still in high school. He went to Vietnam and I finished high school. Had our first child 6 years into our marriage. We stayed together for 18 years and had 2 children.

13. My best friend from the age of 13, Cathy is still my best friend. Even though we live in 2 different states, she lives in Dallas and I live in Florida, we get together at least 3 or 4 times a year. We always spend a least one week together on a vacation every other year.

14. I got my driver's license when I was 14. My sisters who are 2 and 3 years younger were not able to get theirs until 16 because the law changed the year after I got mine. They still tell me how unfair that was.

15. I consider Texas home, but live in Florida now and love it.

16. I have been married to my 2nd husband for 15 years. We have been together for 19 years.

17. We both love boating and have been involved in offshore powerboat racing for years.

18. My husband is from New Orleans and we were living there when Katrina hit. We were lucky, but his brother's, nephew's and mother's houses were all flooded. We stayed there until everyone was back in their homes and moved back to Florida.

19. I have 2 children Nathan and Marcy. I also have 2 stepdaughters, Erin and Rhonda. All are doing great. Marcy and Nathan live in Texas and Erin and Rhonda live in Louisiana.

20. My husband and I have 8 grandsons and 1 granddaughter between the 4 children. They are the joy of our lives. Grandchildren are so much easier and fun.

21. I have been a software trainer for 25 years. My first job as a trainer was EDS and I was assigned to the Enron account.

22. As a trainer for Exxon, I flew in helicopters to offshore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico to teach them software skills. They were closing some of the rigs and were offering computer classes to help them find jobs when moved onshore.

23. I now work in the medical field and teach software that is used for electronic medical record keeping.

24. I wanted a Kindle for Christmas in 2007, but they were backordered and I decided to wait. I received my Kindle for Christmas this year from my children.

25. Lastly, I am so happy that I found KindleBoards that has made owning a Kindle all the more fun.

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »
1. I have my pilot's license.  I majored in aviation in college.  Everyone I knew from the time I was 18 to the time I was 25 was a pilot.  So I am less than impressed with people who are "only" private pilots.  Yes, I realize that I am a pilot snob.  No, I don't fly any more.  No, I don't  miss it.
2. I did not grow up wanting to be a career woman. I grew up wanting to be an astronaut. Now I want to grow up to be a lottery winner.
3. I would rather read a book than do anything else on the planet.
4. I would become a stand-up comedian if so much of my material didn't come from the town I live in.  I like my house and don't really want to have to move.  However, I do intend to put this all in my novel.  Especially the part about Mardi Gras.  The affected parties know how they are.  I take cash donations.
5. I suck at relationships. No one who knows me is surprised. Everyone who knows me will be surprised that this admission is this far down the list.  My proof of this is my record:  three engagements, no convictions.
6. I don't watch movies or read books that don't have happy endings.
7. I understand why Wendy left Neverland, and completely sympathize with her.
8. Guys hate it when you understand more about engines than they do. I learned this the hard way. So now I do it just to be a pain.
9. I can cook. I just choose not to. Eating out is my way of supporting the economy.
10. I think Eddie Izzard is the funniest human ever, and given the chance, I would totally stalk him.
11. I have considered going to Wales just on the off chance I might bump into Captain Jack Harkness.
12. I can't narrow down my favorite tv shows to just 10. But M*A*S*H would be on the list.  So would Wonderfalls.  So would Firefly.  So would Sportsnite.  So would Black Books.  So would Fawlty Towers.  So would the Muppet Show.
13. When you are in Bristol, TN, you are closer to Canada than you are to Memphis, TN. Yes really. Yes, I'll wait while you go measure.
14. I am the oldest of two.  My brother is younger by three years, but I've been telling people he's older since he got taller than me.  It really irritates him b/c most people believe it.
15. I work for the same company my dad worked in for 35 years.  I worked for him for a while.  We both learned more from that than we did from 20-something years of living in the same house.  When he retired, the picture he had of me on his desk was from when I was 5 and my brother was 3.  Everyone in the building thought I had a much much younger sister.  I was 30 at the time.
16. I thought I was well-read before I started reading the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next books.
17. I'm sorry nearly every day that I didn't take the job on the Jungle Cruise when it was offered.
18. I can't believe after serving two terms as my church women's group president, they'll still have me as a member. I suspect they are waiting for the shock to wear off so they can elect me again.
19. I discovered the Grateful Dead one morning on the way to work, and suddenly everything in the universe made much more sense.  No, I have never done any drugs of any kind.  Why do you ask?
20. I am not positive that a 4 gig ipod is nearly large enough, but 16 gigs seems so showy.  My brother is astonished that I took our mother from pre-loaded mp3 player to an ipod shuffle to buying on itunes and synching by herself in under a week and kept whatever is left of my sanity.  My dad, however, is going to write me out of the will when he's sees how much she's spent on itunes in the past seven days.
21. Even I think my art collection may have gotten a tad out of hand.  Gallery showings are Tuesdays and Thursdays after 5.
22. Yes, I really do shop that much.
23. I justify buying shoes every year so I can save the box to put my receipts and such for taxes in. And I actually do put them, all of them, there every year. It's the one organized thing I do.
24. I don't understand how people work on a non-cluttered desk. What do you do with all that space?
25. I don't know what we did before the internet.
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jamjar

• Puyallup, Washington
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
1) I am a twin with two  younger sisters

2)  My first job at 13 was picking raspberries.  I lasted 2 days

3)  I graduated from the University of Washington with a BA in Physical Education

4)  Two weeks after graduating, I had an interview for a teaching post in Australia.  I went for a 16 month      contract and stayed 11 years.

5)  I have traveled to Germany, Thailand, and Hong Kong.  With my family we have gone back to Australia and to Alaska.

6)  After returning to the States, I dated a dorm friend's older brother.  We were engaged in six months and married six months later in December of 1984.  It was a first marriage for both of us.  My daughter wonders why he was still available for me.  Just luck, I guess.

7)  He is my soul mate and best friend.

8)  We have 2 children...one boy and one girl.  I became a stay at home mom after my son was born

9) Our son is attending Western Washington University in Bellingham majoring in Music which he inherited his talent from his father.  Our daughter is majoring in Bioengineering and Computer Programming at the University of Washington which she inherited her interest from her father.  Although I always told her that women in science is important.

10)  I enjoy dining out instead of cooking

11)  I look forward to traveling with my husband.

12)  We have 2 cats (Kings) who rule our home.

13)  I have lived only in Washington State and Australia

14)  I like to bowl, lift weights, garden and read from my Kindle

15)  I was my childrens preschool and elementary PTA treasurer.

16)  I enjoy listening to first graders read

17)  Even though they are having losing seasons, I am a Mariners, Seahawk and Huskie fan

18)  I save coins for Coinstar to earn gift certicates for Amazon.  So far, I have saved over $100.

19)  I am a "groupie" for my husband when he plays in his two bands.

20)  Apparently, thanks to my mother, I am eligible to be a member of the DAR.

21)  I get weepy every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner played

22)  My husband and I have "Happy Hour" every evening so we can discuss our day.

23)  I would like to have a sports car for my mid life crisis.

24)  I am looking forward to Spring and longer hours.

25)  The Kindle has been the best electronic devise I have ever bought.  The joy of reading has increased.

One day I will burst my bud of calm and blossom into hysteria

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
Ding! I have been tagged! 25 facts but not completely random.  ;D

1. I went to Disneyland the year it opened. I am told the neighbors took me when they were babysitting me while my mom and dad were at the hospital for the birth of my sister. (I do not remember the trip but I do remember the date.) I have been a fan of the Mouse ever since.
2. I have had trouble remembering my age most of my life and would have to figure it out each time I was asked. Otherwise I would normally say the age I would be on my next birthday. This past year has been easier as I was born in 1954 and will be 54 until my birthday in March. ;)
3. I have difficulty with left and right but I can read text that is upside-down or mirror image.
4. I have been interested in origami (folding paper) since 1964. I spent my babysitting money on origami books. In high school I won a couple tickets to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus tickets in a circus poster contest with posters featuring origami elephants. (My three sisters and my brother also entered the contest. We were each in different age categories. We all won tickets. My parents did not need to buy any tickets to take the family to the circus.)
5. My parents encouraged each of us to collect something we were interested in. I collected books as I loved to read. (First book read Green Eggs and Ham.) (My husband also loves to read. We have dozens of book cases filled with books and magazines.)
6. I own a Bell Labs Cardiac computer in working condition that I have had since 1968. It is a paper computer with six sliding strips and uses a form of machine language to illustrate how computers work. It uses a paper ladybug to indicate the current instruction.
7. I did not date at all in high school. I was told by some girls that this was because I was too smart and that I should not always try to win. I said that I would not want to date any boy who did not like me for myself.
8. I graduated from high school in June 1971, went on my first date in December 1971, and my future husband proposed in June 1972 exactly one year to the day after we graduated from high school. I never dated anyone else. So much for needing to change to find the right person.
9. My husband and I were married on Friday the 13th after being engaged for 10 months. We celebrate our anniversary and every Friday the 13th. That makes for at least three celebrations every year. (We wish each other a happy 10th and 13th every month.)
10. Our only child, a daughter, was born 7 years later. I did not have time for much new origami after our daughter was born.
11. It took me 28 years to get my Bachelor degree. (Working, school, and marriage were too many things for me to concentrate on at one time.)
12. My daughter was 2 when I got my Associate degree; my first granddaughter was 2 when I got my Bachelor degree. Maybe my first great grandchild will be 2 when I get my Masters. Already too late for when my second grandchild turns 2. :)
13. I have been to Australia, England, Scotland, Sweden, and Sri Lanka on business trips (with airport stops in Denmark and an airplane landing in Fiji). (I had not expected computer programming to lead to international travel.) I have also been to Canada (Vancouver, BC and Montreal, Quebec) and Mexico (Nogales and Puerto Peasco).
14. I am still happily married to my best friend after over 35 years.
15. I like crafts. I tend to make one or two advanced projects before changing to a different craft activity.
16. Halloween is my favorite holiday. I always make my own costumes.
17. I like to compost and garden (vegetables and fruit).
18. I am planning on raising chickens starting this year.
19. My husband and I are model railroaders.
20. In 2003, my husband and I went to the Mingei International Museum of World Folk Art in Balboa Park in San Diego. I saw the Origami Masterworks exhibit and was amazed at the changes in origami since my daughter was born. My next three Halloween costumes (2004-2006) were origami based.
21. My first original origami model (Interlocking Folding System Stylized Feather designed in 2004) was published in the OUSA Convention Book 2006. http://www.flickr.com/photos/origami-turtle/2601141651/
22. I was fortunate to be able to attend the Origamido: Folded Dreams and Forgotten Pollinators class taught by Michael LaFosse at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum in May 2005. As a result, I was able to create my own origami flower model (Desert Willow Blossom). http://www.flickr.com/photos/origami-turtle/2527333680/
23. My husband and I have not had current TV service (broadcast, satellite, or cable) since we discontinued the satellite dish service over four years ago. We do not miss it. (We do still have the video tape and DVD players.) That leaves more time for reading and hobbies. :)
24. My husband says my hobby is collecting hobbies.
25. I am eagerly awaiting my Kindle. I spend some of the waiting time thinking of various ways to put origami diagrams on it.

EDIT: Corrected spelling error. 26. I am compulsive and will correct spelling errors I see in a post of mine that is over a year old. No, it is not OCD. ;) But I will agree that I am a geek.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:01:44 PM by Annalog »

Offline crosj

• San Jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2009, 01:23:05 AM »
1.   I am retiring (a little early) at the end of March
2.   I am a native San Franciscan
3    I love to cruise.  Favorite place to cruise is to Alaska
4.   I am in a 34 year relationship with my partner
5.   I recently became a vegan
6.   I have three dogs
7.   The job I am retiring from is owning a doggie day care
8.   I can be obsessive about things..  ie  Kindle
9.   I wear crocs most of the time
10. I dropped out of the corporate world 17 years and ended up opening my doggie daycare
11. I do not do housework.  A little dust won't hurt anyone
12. I will read most any type of book except erotic
13. I love New York City
14. Favorite food is french bread!!  yum yum  sour dough of course
15. Don't drink and can't handle drunks very well
16. Quit smoking 13 years ago- cold turkey
17. I have live in Texas and Ma..  Always return home to San Francisco
18  I am an only child
19. I am a typical Libra.  Everything must be balanced
20. I was watching TV when Ruby killed Oswald. I remember like it was yesterday
21. I am a huge Liza Minnelli fan.  And I do mean huge
22. Favorite tv shows are the non romance reality shows, Amazing race, survivor, top chef etc
23. No facebook, messenger etc
24. Unlike a lot of women, I hate to shop for clothes. Jeans and tees.  Dogs don't really care.
25  I can dance fairly well for an old lady but can't sing a note. 
Sing like no one is listening and dance like no one is watching.

Offline Scathach

• CT
    • View Profile
    • Cupcakes, Needles, and Words
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2009, 04:00:57 AM »
1. I went back to college at the age of 27
2. I married my high school sweetheart
3. I have 3 cats and a greyhound
4. I have duel citizenship
5. I have realized I love musicals
6. I won't eat anything I haven't killed at least once in my life (that leaves chicken, turkey, and fish on my okay to munch on list).
7. I enjoy knitting
8. I am descendent from an Amazonian tribe which used to cannibalize
9. I still have a soft spot for 80's cartoons
10. I can't stand PCs now
11. I have a crush on Cillian Murphy
12. I love horror movies
13. I love baking
14. I get annoyed by people who religiously proselytize
15. I love buying handmade gifts
16. I am iffy on the children thing, some days I want em, some days I am glad I don't have em
17. My favorite TV show ever is Firefly
18. I love history books
19. I am a Celtic Reconstructionist
20. My favorite ice cream is Vanilla
21. Joan Jett has always been my rock idol
22. The news always makes me a little depressed, yet I watch it anyways
23. Music I tend to listen to is Punk, Metal, and Femme Rock
24. I dislike getting flowers because they will just die on me
25. I have the most awesome friends
~~ Five factors in determining zombie slaying weaponry: "1. Can it crush a skull in one blow? 2. If not, can it decapitate in said blow? 3. Is it easy to handle?  4. Is it light? 5. Is it durable?" (Max Brooks) ~~
My little Blog about reading, knitting, and life.

Offline Jen

• Member # 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »
Okay, okay!  I got tagged on Facebook so many times, now that I saw this, I give in.  Plus it's a good way to procrastinate at work.  Here we go...

1.  I've been to more Caribbean islands than states in the US. 

2.  I've never lived anywhere but Ohio.  I still have no idea why. 

3.  I always thought I wanted to learn to play guitar - until I moved in with and am marrying a guitar teacher.  For some reason, now that I can, I just don't have the desire anymore. 

4.  I have pretty steady nightmares about my wedding - #1 being that I forget it's my wedding day and I don't have enough time to get ready.  Yes, I know this is strange. 

5.  I would not be a happy person without music or books (read: KINDLE, here)

6.  I just do not understand video games.  The only one I ever got into was the old school NES.  And mostly just Mario Bros.   

7.  I have a fairly bad case of road rage. 

8.  I swear too much.  (See #7)

9.  I think there is entirely too much reality television.

10.  I recently got addicted to books on CD.  Actually, I kind of hate to drive with anyone else in the car because I can't listen to them.   

11.  I really dislike shopping.  Yes, I'm a girl.  Malls are my idea of hell on earth. 

12.  I love to rock climb, but with bad knees I can't do it much anymore. 

13.  I am sort of terrified of having children.  For many, many reasons.  I'm sure I will someday, but not until it terrifies me at least a little less. 

14.  Now that I've gone Mac, I'll never go back. 

15.  I am highly sarcastic and this doesn't sit well with some people. 

16.  I really, really hate talking on the phone. 

17.  I am really, horribly bad with directions.  I think the GPS is the best invention ever. 

18.  I hate socks.  They're the first thing I take off when I get home. 

19.  I have a mild case of claustrophobia.  This began when I was 6 and got pinned in a hay tunnel. 

20.  I am a certified coffee SNOB. 

21.  I have a cat named Maddie and I love her like she's my own child. 

22.  Snow really depresses me, I hate it.  Yet I still live in Ohio. 

23.  I'm convinced that if I could just kick my addiction to french fries I could drop those 15 pounds that are annoying me. 

24.  I hate to clean, but I'm the one in charge of cleaning our house.  Once our financials are a bit more solid, the first thing I'm going to do is hire a cleaning lady. 

25.  My perspective on life has changed quite a bit since I lost my little sister last year.  She was only 22, and was supposed to turn 23 tomorrow.  It was completely unexpected, and I still regret a lot about things I said or didn't say, did or didn't do.  I know it's pointless.  It's been 9 months and I still can hardly think about it without crying.  Don't take your loved ones for granted, things like this really can happen to you. 
A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Offline Neversleepsawink;)

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »
Crosj, I hate shopping for clothes too!!!!  I get clothes for my birthday....I never buy my own clothes.

Offline Cowgirl

• Gilbert, AZ
  • Member #291
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
Yes I've been dinged on Fb also...tried ignoring it but it won't go away...so here it is.
1. I had the best father in the world.
2.  I married my prom datestill  happily married 37 years later.
3.  I have a huge crush on Rush Limbaugh
4. The English Patient is my favorite movie
5.  My parents were democrats and my 6 siblings and I are  all Republicans
6.  I was sitting in Mrs. Struebings  6th grade class when I heard about President Kennedys assassination
7.  Favorite food.I love Potatoes
8.  I have great long term memoryI can remember little things about people from 40  and 50 years ago. 
9.  I always see the glass as half full never half empty
10. I was there when my granddaughter was conceivedher father was not (figure that one out)
11. As a child all I did was read in my bedroom.my mother had to force me to go outside to play.
12.   I am a diet coke snobif the restaurant serves pepsi  I get water.
13.  I am 50% polish and 50% Frencheverybody tells me I look Irish. 
14.  The Dance by Garth Brooks is my favorite song
15.  I have a picture of me from the front page of the Buffalo Evening News shaking Vice President Fords hand  5 days before Nixon resigned.
16. I can count on one hand how many times Ive been in a bad mood in my lifetime.
17.  Ive never tried smokingI dont get inhaling and exhaling  smoke.
18. I salt my applesyes I am a saltaholic!
19.  I had to fall asleep with the light on and wouldnt take a shower for years after watching Psycho
20.  I got my ears pierced when I was 24 and made my mother go with me to hold my hand.
21. I was with my 4th grade best friend when she suddenly  diedI feel her presence with me every dayshe is my guardian angel..
22.  I would do anything for my family and friends.
23.  I dont like to drink anything hot. 
24.  I am very competitive and hate to lose.
25My last name is Potter and no Im not Harrys mother

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »
This is fun!

1.  I am a major Type-A person
2.  In spite of this, I am learning to loosen up a bit
3.  I am also a Scorpio
4.  Still working to control a very bad temper
5.  When I do get mad, I tend to fly off the handle and get over it
6.  I have been married for 15 years
7.  We have 6 cats (Figaro, Sheba, Tuxedo, Jasmine, Minikin and Stripey)
8.  I never really wanted kids, but always wanted to be an aunt
9.  My niece is 3 - our birthdays are 2 days apart
10.  I'm an awesome aunt
11.  I got a satellite radio so I wouldn't have to listen to DJs talking while driving to work
12.  I mostly listen to 80s music, but also like classical and country
13.  My favorite color changes depending on my mood, but it's usually Purple
14.  I collect irises and it's pretty obvious when you walk into my house
15.  I was afraid of the water until I was about 25 even though I could swim
16.  I've since learned to snorkel and I discovered that I love kayaking
17.  My husband bought me the first Harry Potter book because the cover looked interesting
18.  Yes, I went to the midnight launch parties for the later books (Goblet of Fire through Deathly Hallows)
19.  Yes, I went home and read them straight through
20.  My mother-in-law got remarried when Half-Blood Prince came out and I threatened to skip the wedding
21.  My favorite movies are Labyrinth, The Princess Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas
22.  My kindle was my 40th birthday present
23.  I work for Texas Parks & Wildlife as a computer trainer - we travel around the state instead of bringing folks in to Austin.  I have been to more than half of our state parks.
24.  I was the drum major in high school.
25.  Chocolate should be a food group.

Offline tessa

• long island ny
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »
 My life is kind of boring

I was born and raised in a very strict Sicilian family on  the north shore of Nassau County on Long Island.

I was the youngest of three, both my brother, sister and parents are dead.

I have lived in the same town for the past 58 years.

I married my high school sweetheart 45 years ago. he is an Irish cop now retired.

I have 4 children 2 girls and 2 boys. and 2 grandsons.

I never went to college but all my kids did and graduated.

My husband, children and myself all went to the same high school.

I only drink  Lipton tea and Dunkin Donuts coffee

my favorite car is a '56 T-Bird. DH gave me a '02 T-Bird for my  birthday ( car is 6 Years old and only 3500 miles on it I never drive it )

I have a white standard poodle 8 months old.

I didn't learn to read till I was in 4Th grade.

I retain about 90% of what I read.

I have IQ 137 and just barley made it out of high school.

Can't spell to save my life.

I gave up smoking for money for grooming the dog and books for my Kindle.

I love to knit and sew.

I have every fast food place the delivers on speed dial.

I retired from work to  watch my grandsons when my daughter works 3 nights a week (RN)

I'm the shortest one in my family so I have to ask my grandsons to reach for things  ( my youngest grandson introduces me as his little Sicilian grandma)

I was at Woodstock ( ya I'm old but I'm not on Medicare yet)

I love Zoos and have been to 23 different ones in major cities, my favorite one was in New Orleans.

I know Billy Joel

I no longer bleach my hair blond I now color it blond.

I had polio as a child

As I've said before my life is like a Beach Boys concert  I went from FUN FUN FUN to GO GRANNY GO

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
This is great! 

I have found that I can relate to at least one item in each post!  Scary!  Even Robin and Vampyre's  :o  From babysitting to late schooling to being shy to no drugs to DH being best friend favorite books, music (clarinet) in school, movies, etc., etc., etc.  And I find I have forgotten so many things.

Thanks Harvey - but you do realize how long this will be if all 1800 of us answer?   ;D
Dona
on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »
Yours is the 100th reply in this thread, and I'd guess out of that about 70 people have provided lists. (That's 1,750 random things!)

I have read every one of them. How nice to get this quick glimpse into each others' lives - or at least, our self-perception of our lives!
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.