Author Topic: Hooray, I finally finished the One Year Bible!!! :)  (Read 3444 times)  

Offline love2read

• Ohio
    • View Profile
Hooray, I finally finished the One Year Bible!!! :)
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
Hi Everyone,

It's taken me 1 year 8 months and 15 days but I finally finished the One Year Bible! I started a year ago when everyone else on Kindleboards did but got behind in my reading. When the new year started I was tempted to switch and read one of the bible formats everyone else switched to but decided that I needed to keep on going and finish in my own time.

I'm so glad I did. I have finally read through the whole Bible. A long time goal that I never seemed to be able to stick to before.

I'm going to start again. I really like the format of the OYB, reading Old and New Testament plus Psalms and Proverbs everyday. For quite a while it felt a little bit distracting to read the Bible like that but then came to realize that it is an awesome way to see the power and unending love of God and to appreciate even more the work of Jesus on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins.

I'm going to check out the sample of the Max Lucado study bible and decide which way I want to start again. Or I may try the Chronological Bible but read it similar to the OYB format.

Have a blessed day  :D

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
Re: Hooray, I finally finished the One Year Bible!!! :)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:46:07 PM »
That is awesome, Love!! It's quite an accomplishment. You will find you'll learn even more on the second time through the Bible. I have been reading the Bible daily for 35 years now and I still see things I hadn't seen before. It never ceases to amaze me.

The Max Lucado daily Bible looks really nice. You could always download a sample and see what you think. I started at the beginning of the year doing the chronological Bible but became very ill in February and couldn't keep up with it. Last year I had gone through the OYB you just finished, and I really prefer that to the chronological Bible. Right now I am doing an in depth study of the New Testament and also reading Charles Spurgeon's sermons. That will keep me going till the New Year and then I will go back to the same format as the OYB. John Anderson has a OYB in that format and I have it in paperback and have just about worn my finger out clicking I Would Like this on Kindle!  :D It really looks awesome. He has little comments on each day's readings and they look quite good.

Offline Angela

• Texas
  • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »
Congrats Love!! I like reading different translations of the OYB each year. I just wish they had more translations available for the Kindle.

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:41:31 AM »
The Kindle was instrumental in helping me read the whole Bible this year!  I always wanted to read the whole thing, but became intimidated by it.  I read the NLT One Year Bible and really liked it!  Reading on the Kindle made it easier to read and easier to take with me.  I look forward to reading through again! :)

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »
The Kindle was instrumental in helping me read the whole Bible this year!  I always wanted to read the whole thing, but became intimidated by it.  I read the NLT One Year Bible and really liked it!  Reading on the Kindle made it easier to read and easier to take with me.  I look forward to reading through again! :)

I agree, Sky. Reading the OYB on the Kindle seems easier to me also than reading the DTB. Another thing I really like about reading it on my Kindle is that when I turn on my Kindle it is up there at the top or near the top. Before I goof off and just read a novel, my conscience pricks me that I should do my daily reading first. I can't truly enjoy my novel until I get my daily reading done.

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
I agree, Sky. Reading the OYB on the Kindle seems easier to me also than reading the DTB. Another thing I really like about reading it on my Kindle is that when I turn on my Kindle it is up there at the top or near the top. Before I goof off and just read a novel, my conscience pricks me that I should do my daily reading first. I can't truly enjoy my novel until I get my daily reading done.

You and me both, Suzanne!  At the beginning I made myself read 2 days of the OYB before I read my novel.  I was so afraid I might not complete my goal, or get way behind.  I eased up a bit mid year on the 2 day strategy, but there were many days I read ahead because I was determined not to get behind.

Offline love2read

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
I have switched to the Max Lucado One Year Bible since I finished the other One Year Bible. I am enjoying that one just as much. Many of the beginning daily devotional bring out a point in that day's readings that I hadn't thought of before. I'm still not as consistent as I should be but I won't give up in this one until it's read all the way through.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »
Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• North Riverside, IL, USA
  • Joe Chiappetta, author of Star Chosen sci-fi novel
    • View Profile
    • Star Chosen science fiction novel and Silly Daddy comics
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
Congratulations on finishing in under a year. Now you can start all over again. That's what I do.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac