Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Politics and religion  (Read 25053 times)  

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
  • Member 95
    • View Profile
    • J. Hepple, Inc.
Re: Politics and religion
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »

When I arrived at the airport in my home town I was spit on and called baby killer...

I do not believe we should have gone to Iraq but I will support the men and women of our military no matter what they are called upon to do. 

I was on the bus going from Oakland Army Terminal to San Francisco with my new DD-214 in my pocket. The girl that spit on me was one of those unbelievably beautiful California girls that you daydream about when you're far from home. I can't repeat what she said or the Mods would get me.  ::)

Quote from: a personal message by Ethan on Kindle Boards
...I, like Sailor, feel so strongly about the goodness of our troops that any insinuation that they are not doing honorable work is a personal attack.

I guess I am not cut out for this, so think I will just go away.

Does anybody know Ethan's email address? He said he was a prosecutor and worked in Iraq with the interim government. I thought I could find him with that but so far no good.

Jeff

Offline cush

• San Diego
  • Ken Kindle's Guardian Dragon Screensaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
After reading every post in this thread I'd like to say that anytime someone posts and equates American military personnel or the duly elected government of my country with Nazis he or she will hear back from me in a post on this Board.

If anyone doesn't like that then don't post slanderous attacks on our military or government; put them on a site dedicated to political discussion.

Many on this Board don't remember the Nazis, Imperial Japan or, for that matter, the Communist regimes of Soviet Union or Southeast Asia.

Some of us do and recall their evil acts.  Not "lapses in judgment", or the temporary insanity that can occur in close combat, but systematic, planned and implemented widespread evil of monstrous proportions. 

I will not forget

It's a matter of honor.

Let's all get back to enjoying our Kindles.
*cush*  

My life is an open book...errr...Kindle.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
Apparently, few people bothered to actually read my post that Jeff quoted.  I didn't call anybody a Nazi.  My thanks to those people who contacted me privately to assure me that they understand that and understood the point I was making.
At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline MonaSW

• Hayward, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
Yes, we know you didn't call anyone Nazis, however using Nazis as a comparison is never a good way to attempt to further an argument as it only ever evokes a purely negative response. If that is what you wanted, you got it.

Offline bosslady402

• Niagara Falls
  • the artist at work
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2008, 04:41:57 PM »
Should we exclude hot-button topics such as politics and religion from the board?

Your comments are appreciated.

Jeff

Here are my comments on Jeff's original question - and why, and a possible compromise;
I do not believe those topics should be excluded from this board - but only because there are books out there that explore these topics, and if you ban the topic, you ban the book. I don't think that would be an appropriate action for a forum that encourages people to broaden their horizons through reading. 

I would definitely leave the board if it were forbidden to discuss books written by Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, etc. I would also leave, if, in the discussion of one of those books, the thread kept getting interrupted by the opinions of those who are 180 degrees opposite in their own opinion of the topic of that book, just to attack other members or their opinions. 

So my suggestion is that threads and discussions about politics and religion be allowed as they pertain to authors and the books they have written, and that if you wish to post to a discussion that you do not agree to, it is in a thoughtful manner and relates to what you believe, not what you think others should believe (and that you commit yourself to actually reading the book under discussion!)

of course, trying to find someone willing to moderate these topics may be a challenge.

Offline cush

• San Diego
  • Ken Kindle's Guardian Dragon Screensaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
There was no book discussion going on when this occurred.  I agree that free rein should be allowed when a book is under discussion but when a personal opinion is expressed, not a comment on an idea in a book under discussion that equates my government or our military to the actions of Nazi Germany ("If I have to thank them, then I also have to thank the Nazi soldiers on the line for doing exactly the same thing.") I will respond.  This whole thing got out of hand because inappropriate and inflammatory comments were interjected into a fun game.

Let's get back to Kindleing.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:08:33 PM by cush »
*cush*  

My life is an open book...errr...Kindle.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
Locked, as we start a fresh chapter in this discussion.

Please see this thread:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1079.0.html
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.