Poll

Do we want to continue with Book 2, Living Dead in Dallas?

Yes!  Can't wait to see what happens
7 (35%)
Yes! Although I've already read it on my own time
8 (40%)
No.  I'm in the middle of three other book klubs and don't have the time
1 (5%)
No.  And I bought this stick for nuthin'.
1 (5%)
Maybe.  Can we revisit the idea in a month?
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Southern Vampire Series  (Read 7640 times)  

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Vampire Series
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 05:19:14 AM »
Fantastic!  Welcome!  We'll let you slide on the "required reading"  ::) if you'd like to come join us in chat tonight!  (9 pm eastern, please subtract an hour for each western time zone between you and the eastern time zone.)

We're glad you're here!

robin
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Marguerite

• Marysville, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »
I have kept looking at this book Klub but since I had spent so much money, I decided to go with the free book first.  Well, I finished that and didn't have enough will power to wait.  I finished Dead until Dark in one day and would love to join you if it is still open.  How did you guys make yourselves put the book aside so that you kept within the assigned reading?  This is a series that is right up my alley.
member 1632

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »
Welcome Marguerite!  We're onto week two of book two now.  Look for the Living Dead in Dallas book klub.

I for one can't put the book down after the assigned chapters so I might have to go back and start again from chapter 4 this week so I don't get ahead of the discussion.
Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:23 AM »
(I've already read them all.)

Actually, a lot of people in the book klub have already read them.  We don't have any formal policies in the book klub (Beyond the no sticks policy, that is.), but generally we just ask that you try not to give away in spoilers if you want to read ahead.  That's all.  See how easy that is?  Okay, chobitz doesn't think it's all that easy, but she's also read all of the books.

In fact, there's a discussion over on DIA about why so many fewer people are answering the questions on DIA than did on Outlander (yes, I realize that was a very poorly constructed sentence.).  Gertie's answer was that so many people were so taken with the series that we've gone on reading, breezing past the requirements, sometimes into the next book and beyond.  I believe she is correct.

See, if I was really smart, I would go ahead and post all the rest of the Living Dead in Dallas questions next week, and we'd just try to do one book every two weeks or so.  Especially since these are a lot shorter than the Outlander books.  But, I don't want to leave anyone behind.  But maybe we can put up a poll to that effect?  See if there's any interest in shortening the window on these book klubs?  That way we'll be closer to done when the new book comes out in May.
But I'm glad you're enjoying the series, and hope you'll come chat with us next Wednesday!
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Marguerite

• Marysville, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I think that would be a great idea.  There is no way that these books will last me more that a week.  I do understand, however; that there are people who read slower that I do.  My problem is that I am afraid to spoil it for others if I forget the sequence of things. For the Whiskey Rebels Klub, I made myself stop but these are like candy to me while the other was more like meat and potatoes.

By the way, I have a friend who looks so much like your picture that it's erie but it would make it next to impossible not to like you.
member 1632

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
;D  Why thank you!

I'll go post a poll.  See if everyone would be into making the book klub for the SVM books shorter.  There's no way that the Outlander klub can do it, but these might lend themselves well to that.  Thanks for the idea!
A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 12:11:45 PM »
Great idea!!
Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »
Poll is up on the actual Book Klub thread.
A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Marguerite

• Marysville, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
Sorry that I didn't get on tonight.  I believe that since I am in California, that it is 6 p.m.  I have little kids and that is the family dinner time.  I look forward to reading it though.
member 1632

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 10:20:29 AM »
No problem!  I post the questions, so you can answer there if you like.  I just hope you enjoy the series.  Also, if you're cooking, may I come eat at your house?  I don't keep food at my place. It just attracts bugs.  ;D
A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline kevindorsey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
I need to check this show out and read the books.  Sound very interesting.

Offline Sweety18

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 01:11:37 PM »
I am a lurker as well, but love to read everyone's comments!

Same here, based on comments; I then decide if I want to purchase the book. hehe  ::)

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »
Have the comments persuaded you to buy either book so far?  I promise, if you want to stop lurking and comment, nobody here bites.  I mean, unless you invite them too, I guess.  ;D
A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Marguerite

• Marysville, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
Come anytime.  I just need some notice to sweep my bugs away.
member 1632

Vampyre

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »
I need to check this show out and read the books.  Sound very interesting.

I picked the DTB bundle pack because its the first 7 books and cheaper than buying the Kindle versions separately.

Offline shima

• San Francisco
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »
I picked the DTB bundle pack because its the first 7 books and cheaper than buying the Kindle versions separately.

I have all the books on my Kindle. Started from #1 and just kept buying each next one as soon as I finished the previous (which was pretty quickly, I read most in a few days to a week)... and I totally have the Blu-Ray DVD set on pre-order already on Amazon :) it will just magically arrive when they are released and that makes me happy.

I just wish there were more books to read after 8 available. Or that I could find another vampire series I'm happy with.
Kindle 1 Owner: July 2008-March 2009... Kindle 2 Owner: March 2009 - December 2010. Kindle 3 Owner: December 2010 - Present

Offline kevindorsey

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »
Is it me or the various vampire books are popping right and left?