Author Topic: Virtual Book Tour Program--Need Host Sites 6/24/13  (Read 4849 times)  

Offline sibelhodge

• North Cyprus/UK
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sibelhodge.com/
Re: Possible Virtual Book Tour Program--Your Thoughts Plz
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 09:53:31 AM »
Do you think we need to include a "health and wellness" catagory?  The genre list isn't set in stone.  If folks think we need to expand I can do so.  I just made the genres broad to avoid micro-genre-itis.  I don't want to have people whining "But you didn't include my gay anthropormorphic mystery horror fantasy alternative history genre!"  or listen to people complain that their book "is sort of horror but also romance and a thriller and some fantasy elements and..."

Oh, you get the idea :D ;D

I can definitely do a health and wellness category. Like many others, though, due to time restrictions (am writing third novel) I wouldn't have time to actually review any books, but could do interviews.

Sibel

Award Winning & Bestselling Author
Sibel Hodge | author website | blog | facebook

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
I think this is a great idea.  I've already hosted some guest posts and Historical Fiction author interviews, but I think I've plum run out of people I know for that; however, I'd love to give other HF authors a boost this way.

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »
I think this sounds like a great idea. Based on some of the comments, I'm under the impression that some of you are over thinking it. From what I understand, people are able to host as much or as little as they want. And you always have the write to say to no to any writer, book, or content that you feel doesn't represent your site.

But I think it's a great opportunity for bloggers to get more exposure to themselves, their blogs, and their own books, as well as help out other writers who need exposure. It's symbiotic and great for everybody involved, but it will only really work if lots of people get involved.

So if you're considering it, I think you should do it. I've had all kinds of guest posts on my blog this month, and it's been a lot of fun.

It is a great idea.

The overthinking is not so much for Julie's benefit, but really just thinking outloud.  It's one thing when you start a blog with something like this in mind, or you don't already post often so it's a no-brainer to say "heck yeah, I want the content!"  It's another when you've already got enough on your plate and you've got to think about how this fits in with what you already have.

One thing I'm considering is to open up Daring Adventure Stories to submissions.  I don't use it much myself, and it might be a nice showcase for fiction.... except then I'd have to deal with a slushpile.  And I'd have decide if I wanted to actually edit.  And then I'd have to decide on an editorial policy. (If there are some children's stories on the blog, how should I handle material not meant for children?  Should I just not accept it, or put in a disclaimer?  etc.)

Camille

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »
It is a great idea.

The overthinking is not so much for Julie's benefit, but really just thinking outloud.  

Camille

I'm all about overthinking it  :D I personally always plan for the worst case scenario.  That when when it happens I am ready and if it doesn't I can be happy.  But thinking out loud was the point of this thread...to get feedback and thoughts. 

If you were interested, I'd let you get some...eh hem...practice reading through MY slush pile.   ;D  It will either prepare you for doing it yourself or sending you screaming in horror.  :o Reading submissions is simultaneously one of the best parts of my day and one of the worst parts of my day.  Discovering little gems from new authors is a true joy, but then there are the big steaming piles of crap you have to sift through first.  And for me, yes there is often a lot of editing involved because we're a paying market (print and ebook) not just a blog.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
Thanks, Julie.  I've read slush before.  It's why I hesitate.

Camille

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »
Still think it's a solid idea. :)
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
OK!

I went back to the original post and added a "Self Improvement" catagory that would cover health, wellness, self-motivation, etc.

Anyone that wants to participate as a host blog:  PLEASE fill out the form as per my original post and PM me with the info so that I can start getting the list together.  A couple of people have already.  I'd like to be able to get a preliminary list completed by next week so I can determine how to set up the webpage. 

Also, if you know anyone with an amazing blog or site that you think would be interested, send them my way!

Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Enid Wilson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • SteamyDarcy
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 03:38:13 AM »
Thanks Julie. I got this discussion from a yahoo Blog Book Tour group. I think it's a good idea. And I will send you the info.

My blog is for sexy romance and I welcome guest post or excerpt once a month. I've around 30 hits a day and I would like to grow it.

<a href=http://steamyfantasy.blogspot.com> Really Angelic</a>
My Darcy vibrates and mutates. How about yours?

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
Do you have a status update on this, Julie?

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
Do you have a status update on this, Julie?

I have gotten about a half dozen sites that have expressed interest so far.  This month is hectic for me because I have two RPG products I have to get finished.  So I'm hoping to get more done on it next month. 

Offline Sharlow

• Vancouver, WA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
I think this is a great idea as well, having brought this up before on another thread. Some of the reasons i didn't pursue it was:

1) The idea of doing a tour is that we would want peoples eyeballs to see our work that wouldn't have seen it before.... I'm not so sure that would happen since many of us over lap already in cyberspace.

2) When there's no money involved, people have a hard time staying committed to projects especially long term.

As such I'm wondering how you can prevent this from happening. Consistency is usually a must so that people aren't just wasting their time.

and the final concern is who's in charge? When there's to many chiefs and not enough Indians, things get a bit disorganized and chaotic.

Now I'm not saying this to discourage anyone. This is a great idea, and I spent many days considering organizing just this type of thing. I'd hate to see it get started and fail because of snags I just outlined here. I couldn't come up with an answer to these problems, and I hope Julie can!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 05:25:19 AM »
I don't think there's going to be a commitment problem. We're all committed KB'ers and I think that will translate well to this project.

Yes, we do overlap in cyberspace and sometimes I think most of what we sell is to each other.  ;)  However, everything we do to promote is building our name and it's the same with the bloggers. They have to build their name, too, and giving them good content helps increase their readership. Once it gets started (or before), we'll tweet, we'll retweet, we'll facebook, etc. Most of my followers are other authors or PR people, but I have some blogs and just-readers that follow me, too. Even if just a couple of them pass it on, we'll start to establish a presence.

As for our chief, that's Julie. No problem there.  ;D

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 05:53:58 AM »
1) The idea of doing a tour is that we would want peoples eyeballs to see our work that wouldn't have seen it before.... I'm not so sure that would happen since many of us over lap already in cyberspace.

You don't neccessarily need "new." You often need to simply remind people.  Remember the old adage that a person needs to see something seven times before they will even remember it, let alone make a decision to act.  In this regard, the fact that we have a lot of overlap helps reinforce brands.  Book tours are a branding issue, not a direct sales issue.  If you go into them expecting a huge jump in sales, you will be dissappointed.  You go into them to reinforce your brand, and that often means just reminding people you exist and write.

2) When there's no money involved, people have a hard time staying committed to projects especially long term.

As such I'm wondering how you can prevent this from happening.

I suspect raw fear will keep people in line.  Nobody wants to be publicly ridiculed by the Sith Witch.   ;D

Seriously, I DO expect some people to be less committed or drop out.  That is why I am trying to get a large enough pool of bloggers to begin with.  A large enough pool, it won't matter if a handful are slackers.

and the final concern is who's in charge?

**points at self**

Offline Dawn Judd

• Kansas
    • View Profile
    • The Official Site of Dawn Judd
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 10:22:09 AM »
I don't think overlapping is a concern.  Some of the more successful authors on here will tell you the key to sales is being recognized.  The more often people see you, the more likely they are to buy your books.  Plain and simple.  It helps to get on some lists that aren't always tied in with everyone here, but really, you should be hitting every avenue possible. 
As far as not getting paid, some of the bloggers look for new things to blog about, so this just feeds their blogs.  While I have plenty of books to review for my blog, I would like some new material such as interviews, guest blogs, etc.  So I would be excited to be included in this!

Reining In and Phantom Rising are only 99 on Amazon Kindle. 
www.dawnjudd.com

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:14 AM »
For those that volunteered to serve as hosts: 

As I said when I first suggested this, I would start working on this at the beginning of the year.  I should have the basic page up this weekend.  Once I have it finalized I will post the link. 

Offline Philip Chen

• I'm older, but wiser still hasn't kicked in.
    • View Profile
    • Falling Star
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »
Julie,

You are always welcomed to add a stop on your tour on the Independent Authors Forum, Home of Free Range Authors.  We even set aside a specific forum called, "Whistle Stop" for this purpose, although true to our motto, you and any other author can wander freely about the site.

I restructured this site in December after my last effort at a community message board as an author-centric rather than reader-centric forum.  We invite readers to join as well (some have), especially readers who want to engage authors on an equal basis.  The December 2010 stats for IAF were (according to the webhost, iPage) were: 3,761 avg/12,074 max/116,612 total hits; 107 avg/168 max/3323 total visitors.  December was a short month because of the fatal crash of the previous site.  The new simpler format went live on December 7th.

Phil

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Book Tour Program--Preparing to Launch
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »
Virtual Book Tour Program

I have begun to set up the program using my information forum.  This will be the easiest way for me to administer the program without pulling my hair out.  I have started to add those who already committed to participate and have provided me with their information. 

Authors:  DON'T start sending applications yet!  I'm still adding information.

Bloggers/Sit Admins:

1. If you ALREADY gave me your information, please register at the site linked above.  I will be using the PM system there to communicate with you when there are tours available.  Don't feel obligated to post to the site. It is essentially used for information storage, but you may want to add information to other appropriate sections of the forum to make it available to visitors.  Any future correspondence related to the program should be done through that site.  Check the forum to see if I already added your info, and if you need me to change something let me know.

2. If you want to register as a blog or host site, use the application on the forum linked above.  I'll get you added as soon as possible.

3. DON'T post your information in this thread.  I won't add it.  I need it to go through the dedicated forum in order to keep it centralized.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Julie. Patiently waiting with a cup of tea and a slice of caramel cheesecake.

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Julie. Patiently waiting with a cup of tea and a slice of caramel cheesecake.

mmmmm....caramel cheesecake....Hey, where's mine?

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
mmmmm....caramel cheesecake....Hey, where's mine?

Sorry, the grandkids ate it. I only got half a slice.   ::) There's two bites left of the chocolate orange and half a slice of vanilla bean. Help yourself.  ;D

Offline T.L. Haddix

• Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »
How did I miss this way back when?? Arghhh.....

Julie, are you still needing the logo?  I can get that for you presto.  I'll also be adding my name to the list via application for hosting. 

Can't wait to see this up and running. 

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »
How did I miss this way back when?? Arghhh.....

Julie, are you still needing the logo?  I can get that for you presto.  I'll also be adding my name to the list via application for hosting. 

Can't wait to see this up and running. 

Yes!  We could still use a snazzy logo.  Something that participants can put on their sites with a link to the main page. 

There was a glitch earlier on the forum from some updating they were doing.  They were adding some new features to deal with spambots. 

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Thanks to T.L.'s hubby Glendon for our snazzy logo!

OK, a lot of new folks have signed up over at the forum, BUT I'm still needing bloggers/site hosts.  I have 11 sites listed so far but would really like to officially launch with 20 or so.  So please let your friends know.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »
Julie. I registered but I can't login. Says I'm inactive.

Offline bobavey

• Broken Arrow, OK
    • View Profile
    • Bob Avey
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »
This sounds like a fantastic idea. I don't currently have a blog, but I'm working on getting one together. As an author, though, I'd be most interested.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac