Kindle Forum banner

Dead until Dark Book vs. True Blood TV show

21K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  unwellnana 
#1 ·
I watched the first season of True Blood, and I'm interested in reading the Southern Vampire series. I downloaded the first book, Dead until Dark, yesterday... but as I was reading it True Blood was in my head and I was bored.

So I'm wondering where Dead until Dark ends? Is it all of the first season of True Blood, or is there more? Or, does True Blood first season cover multiple books?

I dislike knowing the ending already. Knowing (spoiler)
who was the killer, that her grandma gets killed, etc.
I rarely re-read books or re-watch movies because of this! So, I'm considering returning Dead until Dark and picking up the second book.

Anyone know where each leaves off?

#27 ·
Oh yeah?  Hot stuff?  I may have to check those out.  So many people here are reading them, it's like a 5-star recommendation!  lol, at what point in the hour did your hands go to sleep?  And will you be joining us for Living Dead in Dallas?  Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?

#28 ·
I really enjoy this series. I watched the entire True Blood series on HBO religiously first and then when season 1 was over I thirsted for more and have now read all of the 8 currently available books (all read on my Kindle 1). I can't wait for more to come out... and I'm anxiously looking forward to more True Blood in May despite the differences between book and tv series.

G
#29 ·
robin.goodfellow said:
Oh yeah? Hot stuff? I may have to check those out. So many people here are reading them, it's like a 5-star recommendation! lol, at what point in the hour did your hands go to sleep? And will you be joining us for Living Dead in Dallas? Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?
Robin, you really must try out the Dresden. First book contains a shower scene to rival Sookie and Eric's.

#35 ·
I don't know.  Sam's pretty hot.  And broody.  I also looked Sam up on IMDB.  He's old enough to be....me.

mumblegrumbledangteenagersmumblegrumblegetoffathegrassmumblemumbleborninthenintiesgrumblegrumble

G
#37 ·
I was a little disappointed in the TB version of Pam.  hopefully we will see more of her in season 2 and she will become more like her printed self.

Season 2 of TB will be loosely based on Dead in Dallas so it should be a lot of fun.

Due to my economic situation, I have dropped HBO.  When May rolls around, I'll have to turn it back on.

#38 ·
We don't get HBO so I conned a friend into recording it for me and then I would go to her house and watch it with her.  I got her hooked on the series too.  I like it and I don't.  I'm not crazy about the actors, it doesn't follow the books, which I adore and think they are actually quiet humorous, which the HBO series completely MISSES.  I think the only actor I really like is Sam.  I guess I'd have to say at this point I have split them and see them as two completely different entities.  They aren't much alike anymore.  I am interested to see what they do with season two though.

#39 ·
I didn't make it past the first few episodes of True Blood, for 2 reasons. Reason 1, we dropped HBO about 4 weeks in, but the main reason is that I had such a clear picture in my mind of these characters and they didn't match a single thing that the show had. I have to agree with many of the previous posters:
  • I found Bill too nice and the way they portrayed Sookie just...not right
  • The thing with Jason was just odd
  • no clue where they are going with Tara
  • The overall feel of the characters were just...off for me

All that being said, I did put the first season on my NetFlix list and I will see if I can get past it. I talked this over with my Dad (we are both major fans of the books) and we had the same feelings on True Blood.

#40 ·
I have to admit, I was leery when I heard about TB. I love the books and you know how it is when they do a film adaption of your favorite books.

However, I think I'm glad they tweaked some things..The changes to the Tara character didn't bother me..I like the TB Tara. Sure, she's abrasive, loud etc but at least she's not boring. She wasn't a huge enough character in the books to make me upset with the changes. I adore Lafayette! So many things about that guy just aren't right ie
selling vampire blood
but the character always makes me laugh. I also like the part when he
beats up the homophobic ******** in Merlotte's

I like the TB Jason better. I kind of figured HBO was going to run with his promiscuity..it is HBO after all! :D He's also a character who makes me laugh, because he's such a dingbat. Except when he
slaps Sookie at their grandmother's funeral
. I had forgotten that part was in the book.

Anna Paquin is growing on me as Sookie..not sure that any actress would have been good enough in my eyes. I think she played her a little too sweet and innocent in the first few episodes. She's getting better though

Bill is spot on, IMO. I like the way the actor portrays him. Eric I pictured a little more rugged in the books.

I got the DVDs of season 1 for my birthday( don't have cable) and have been enjoying them. Like someone else said..I've been trying to see them with fresh eyes..I actually think it'd be boring if they copied the books to the letter. Part of the fun for me is seeing where they changed things.

#41 ·
Has anyone saw the first episode of season 2 yet? I basically have to tell myself this is an entirely different show and not related to the books other than a few similaritys because so many things are so different now and It is hard for me to keep comparing the two. It ends up making me so frustrated.

Also does anyone else LOVE the TB Terry and Lafayette? They are so weird and fun. I really like their characters on TB.

#43 ·
I love both-- I started the books first and began to watch the show after I finished the first two books.  I was on bedrest and a friend of mine sent me the complete 1st season to watch and I LOVED IT.  I loved that it touched on the story line, stayed true to some details but also had its own story. It made it so much more interesting to watch.  And I agree-- Lafayette is one of my favorite characters and Tara, I liked, but after a few episodes, I just wanted her to shut the hell up.

I don't have HBO either but finally caught the second season and cannot wait for the third.

#44 ·
koolmnbv said:
Has anyone saw the first episode of season 2 yet? I basically have to tell myself this is an entirely different show and not related to the books other than a few similaritys because so many things are so different now and It is hard for me to keep comparing the two. It ends up making me so frustrated.

Also does anyone else LOVE the TB Terry and Lafayette? They are so weird and fun. I really like their characters on TB.
I agree with you that it is difficult to watch the shows after reading the books. I have no idea why it bothers me so much. I've seen tons of movies that are based on books I've read and it doesn't bother me. Maybe because it is a series and going into such detail...?

BUT - my husband loves the series and has watched every episode numerous times. So funny. At first he was like: what kind of books have you been reading? Then he got hooked and now he loves to talk about it.

:) I am definitely looking forward to more books by Charlaine Harris!!

Jenna

#45 ·
I started out watching the show and then cruised ahead and read all of the books. I love both the show and the books. The books give you Sookie's voice, which is cool, while the show really blows out the plot lines and makes them bigger. To me it's one of the rare cases where both the show and the books are worthwhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.