Kindle Forum banner

Jury is out on DX -G vs. my K3

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  KindleChickie 
#1 ·
I was so in love with my K3 (as a new Kindler) that I ordered the coveted DX-G in less than 24 hours of receiving the new K3.  I had been sweating bullets for weeks over which model to order, so I went with the K3, thinking I'll get an Ipad at Christmas.  After the K3 arrived, I was so thrilled with it, I went ahead and ordered the DX-G that I also wanted.  This way we (the 2 of us) each have a device to use and the K3 commutes with me to work M-F for ease of size.  I have to say after two days, I'm not feeling it for the DX-G.  I don't know if it's the graphite color compared to my white K-3 (although the K3 is already in a decorative skin) or the keyboard being so different, or the size and weight.  While I like the big screen, it's just not fun to use like the K3 is.  I'm a little bummed about this and am thinking of returning it.   It's not the quality of the product; the quality is superb, but it's not fun like the K3 is!  I think the biggest disappointment is the keyboard size, in comparison to the K3 buttons and the letters on keys are hard to see on the graphite.  Is anyone else feeling disappointed in the DX-G it?

#2 ·
I have both the DXG and the K3wifi. I bought the DXG at time of release, and very shortly after that the announcement of the K3 was made. I agonized over the K3 for a while ... I have a K1, and really didn't plan on the upgrade, but, well, I'm a sucker for new toys.

I love them both for different reasons. I tend to take the K3 out-and-about with me more often, and I do like having page-turn buttons on both sides of the screen. The DXG is definitely better for unconverted PDF files (which I do read ... I have a number of ebooks in the format that are more of a pain to read on the computer. I like curling up in bed or in a comfy chair to read, and the computer doesn't lend itself to that. The K3 does get more use than the DXG, but I have no regrets on purchasing either.

#3 ·
KClark,

You may be missing the point of having the Kindle DX. It's about the book, not the Kindle. I know some people who bought ereaders just so they would be motivated to read. It didn't work. If the books you are reading are good then the Kindle will become invisible. If you haven't returned the DX then I suggest keeping it.

#4 ·
I bought the DXG when Staples had them on sale. I love it as I have bunches of pdf books that simply could not be read on the K3, Nook nor Sony 600.

I do wish the DXG had the same pdf support as the K3 as far as highlighting, dictionary... but at least I can read pdfs now without burning my eyes out of their sockets on my netbook's LCD.

#5 ·
I have ordered 2 DXes for gifts, one I played with far a couple weeks before sending it on it's way.  While I loved the extra screen real estate, I no longer long for one.

1. DX doesn't have a lighted cover.  I simply cannot do without mine, I have been spoiled.

2. No wifi, which is nice for direct audiobook downloads.

3. The book title stayed at top, my K3 hides it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.