NetGalley

Author Topic: BoxWave Sienna Vertical Flip Kindle Cover - K3 - Highly Recommended!  (Read 6919 times)  

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
I received the BoxWave Sienna Vertical Flip Kindle 3 Cover ($25.45 with shipping from Amazon) on Oct. 22 and I really like it! It's a very good, practical, lightweight, and protective cover for the K3 and definitely worth the reasonable price. The color appears very similar to a camel color and/or a shade or two darker than golden oak wood. The cover feels very good to the touch (very impressive for faux leather), and the distressed look is just right and not overdone (well, maybe just a teensy bit at the top part of the cover on the fold lines where the cover flips over, if one was to be super fussy about it..LOL). The grey interior is darker than I expected from the description and unexpectedly fairly close to the graphite color of the K3; I am very pleased about this as I don't care for most lighter shades of grey. I am not sure what the interior material is: it feels almost like a soft denim material, and not suede, felt, or microfiber. Whatever it is, as an owner of three cats, I am thrilled to say it is not attracting cat hair or lint.

The quality of the materials and workmanship - stitching and all - seems top notch. The kindle fits inside all the corners very securely. I did the "wave-it-over-the-bed test" and the kindle never budged from how it is secured inside the corner straps. Kick-stand mode is functional and sturdy, and I like how the kick stand stays closed in place magnetically so it's not flopping around and won't get caught on anything when in my handbag. The bottom corner straps do not block any of the buttons on the keyboard or the bottom of the kindle, and another big positive of this design is that it doesn't prevent you from seeing my beautiful Decal Girl skin. I have small hands and carpal tunnel in both wrists but find this cover is very comfortable for me to hold (with either hand) for hours of reading at a time when the top is simply flipped over, but not folded all the way back around and doubled. YMMV.

This cover does not have cut-outs for the speakers, but this is not a big deal...I rarely use TSS or listen to MP3's on my Kindle, and, of course, I can still hear the sound when I do use those features. Incidentally, this cover (with the Kindle inside) fits perfectly into a Mivizu K2 neoprene case that I have; I don't need the extra protection of the neoprene case with this cover, but it's nice to have as an option just in case. Time will tell, but overall, the cover seems very well constructed and durable. If you are considering purchasing this cover, I'd say go for it - there's a lot to like about it!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:17:19 PM by LuvMyKindle »

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
  • The Original "Oops Detector"
    • View Profile
    • Victory Editing
Re: BoxWave Sienna Vertical Flip Kindle Cover - K3 - Highly Recommended!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
Hmmm.  I didn't see it on Amazon :-(  :sniffle:  I'm really wanting a flip-style cover, too.  Though I might get a lighted Amazon cover.

Finally found it - silly Amazon.  Anyway, here's a link:

Sienna (brown)

Nero (black)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:47:39 AM by Arkali »
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos
From Jhereg, by Steven Brust

Services Offered - Manuscript Editing & Final Proofing Pass (AKA Oops Detection) - More Information

"An Editor's Tips for Selecting Editors"--Feel free to check out my free article on WritersWin.com.
My Facebook page--Some silliness, lots of caffeine, and the occasional snippet from a project I'm working on :)

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
Glad you found it, Arkali. I see they raised the shipping cost on Amazon. When I ordered it in mid-October, the total was $25.45 with shipping. The shipping was a little less on Amazon than on Boxwave's site. Did you order one? If so, which color? I'd be interested in knowing what the black version looks and feels like. If you did order one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Their K2 covers had good reviews and their book-style K3 cover has a five star and a four star review. I love flip covers since they allow you read virtually hands free. I prop it on the table when eating breakfast, and sometimes I prop it on a sofa pillow which I have on my stomach when reading while stretched out on the couch and feeling lazy. LOL.  ;D

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • View Profile
    • Victory Editing
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
I got the sienna.  I'm a bit miffed about the genuine Naugahyde (or whatever it is) but eh.  I'm a huge fan of flip-top covers over book-style.  I was working with a girl to develop a cloth cover that she'd put cardboard or something in for firmness and I really liked it.  It wasn't quite perfect, but it was really promising.  I haven't heard from her in a while, though, so I finally gave up.  This one was discounted enough that I went ahead and got it.  I'm thinking I may need a skin because it occurred to me that the graphite won't really "go" with the sienna.  Bah. 

Regarding book-style covers, I'm really on the fence about getting an Amazon lighted cover.  I REALLY need to start going to bed earlier and I'm thinking reading in bed might help with that, ya know?  I read someone else's review (Candy's, I think) and she said she put velcro dots on hers just to keep it from flopping around.  I'd probably want to do the same, and that's another instance where a skin would be good - I wouldn't want to put the adhesive directly on my Kindle.

Thanks for posting about this cover, btw - I'm really looking forward to it.  Oh - I ended up ordering from Amazon.  Even though it doesn't qualify for Prime, the base price was the same and shipping was a few dollars cheaper.
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos

Services Offered - Manuscript Editing & Final Proofing Pass (AKA Oops Detection) - More Information

"An Editor's Tips for Selecting Editors"--Feel free to check out my free article on WritersWin.com.
My Facebook page--Some silliness, lots of caffeine, and the occasional snippet from a project I'm working on :)

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:30:55 PM »
Arkali, you are welcome. I am glad you found my post helpful.

I think you will be surprised at how well the graphite kindle does "go" with the Sienna Flip. I do have the colorful Winter Sparkle skin from Decal Girl which I got about 2 weeks before the cover, but the interior of the cover is almost the same color as the graphite. And if you do still want a skin, with almost 600 Decal Girl K3 skins to choose from, most likely the biggest problem you will have will be in deciding on which one to get  ;D  many of the designs/color options will blend very well. As to the faux leather, with so many quality variations of real leather (think shoes, handbags, wallets, coats), and improved synthetic "leathers," it is getting harder to tell what is what these days....I think the Sienna cover looks and feels more than decent as quality goes for syntheics.

I understand the temptation for the lighted cover and the convenience it offers. In reading some of the reviews for that cover on KB, Amazon, and the Amazon cover product page, it seems that the fit of the K3 to the cover hinges vary a bit. Some say the K3 moves around and some say it doesn't. You could get lucky and have one that doesn't move. I've also read a few instances where people say they had a problem with the cover causing severe reboots and battery drains - probably a manufacturing defect with the hinge connections causing electrical shorting, and Amazon has replaced the covers without any hesitation. I know most of the covers are probably fine, but personally, the hinge thing make me a little nervous.... IMO, FWIW, the cover is probably a better option if you're not going to take the kindle in and out of it all the time. I bought two different style, very slim LCD GE booklights in Walmart last year (for my K2). I think together they totalled around $12. (I found them in the aisle where the night lights and bulbs were - not in the book section.) They use the small flat disk-type batteries, so they weigh practically nothing. I just slip the plastic clip between the back of kindle and the cover. I don't push the light in all the way down; just far enough that it will stay put. They light up the screen very well on both the K2 and the K3.

I am guessing your cover will arrive within a few days....I sure hope you like it. :D  Oh, let me know what kind of material you think was used for the interior of the cover...I still can't figure out what it is...lol.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:38:13 PM by LuvMyKindle »

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • View Profile
    • Victory Editing
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »
Will do, Luv.  Oh - great tip about the booklights.  I think I'll look for one tomorrow.  I really, really, really love the flip-style covers and the idea of getting a book-style kind of galls me, actually :D

Oh!  Here's the skin I'm 99% sure I'm going to get:

I think it adds a splash of color, plus brings the graphite / sienna together.  We'll see :-)

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 06:01:14 AM »
Ohhhh, that skin should match perfectly and look great with the Sienna and K3!!! Excellent choice! That's Before the Storm, right? I spent so much time looking at skins in September and early October, I remember some of their names....LOL. Just be patient when applying it, and you may want to use tweezers to help place the pieces for the page turn buttons. If you can't find those little book lights in Walmart, Walgreen's may have them, too.

Off topic here, but the cat in your avatar has beautiful markings. How old is he/she? Do you know how much he/she weighs? My largest kitty, Merlin, has the same colors, but more tabby style with a very wide black stripe down his back from head to tail. He is a Maine Coon mix, 2+1/2 years old, about 21 pounds, and just huge! When he and the smaller kitties (girls) chase each other, it sounds like a stampede of horses running wild..Lol And even though Merlin is the biggest, he is the only one I can't catch when he gets into trouble and runs from me. He was a bit of a terror when I first brought him home and he used up most of his 9 lives, but we had a long chat about it and he's much better behaved and loveable now.  :)

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • View Profile
    • Victory Editing
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
Thanks!  You're absolutely right - it is Before the Storm :)

Booklight - got one at Wal-Mart today for $8 that included two lithium batteries - yay!

Kitty - That's Emmy.  She's about a year and a half.  She's not that big, I don't think - maybe 7 or 8 pounds?  She's pretty small, but she has a MASSIVE pot-belly, undoubtedly from being spayed.  It's kind  of weird how some animals will get pot-bellies from that surgery and others won't.  Our other cat, Gypsy, is fairly sleek.  I love that picture... the foot hanging off the side of the desk just cracks me up.  She's too big to sleep on my desk any more, though :(  Merlin sounds like a hoot :-)  21 pounds is MASSIVE, though.  Wow.  I bet they do sound like a herd of turtles :-)

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »
Hi Arkali,

Did you get your Sienna Flip cover yet? If so, do you like it? And the skin? Does the booklight work for you?

In an earlier post you wrote, "I really, really, really love the flip-style covers and the idea of getting a book-style kind of galls me, actually." I know what you mean, since you can stand the flip-style covers and not the book-style. So it's a little upsetting to see so many good deals and so many choices on lower priced K3 book-style covers when there are so few K3 flip style covers to choose from. If your friend ends up "perfecting" the homemade flip cover, let me know....I might want to commission one for variety.

Emmy looks long and sleek in that photo, at least on my old notebook monitor....I almost named one of my kitty's Gypsy, but she didn't fit the name, so she became Sabrina. My other is Misty. Merlin, the big guy, sometimes sleeps in the bottom of the cat condo; the bottom is shaped like a dog house with an entrance and two "windows." Since he barely fits in there, his feet and tail stick out one of the side windows; it's pretty funny to see, like Emmy and her leg in your avatar photo. One of these days, I have to figure out to get a photo in my avatar, too.

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • View Profile
    • Victory Editing
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »
Hah!  I was just thinking about you - my cover came in about an hour ago.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  The dings:
1) It doesn't FEEL like leather.  It feels kind of plastic-y, as opposed to the soft, buttery feel of leather.  :pout:
2) The lining feels like denim - it's not very soft.
3) The tab that holds the cover closed folds from the front to the back - I would have preferred if it closed back-to-front, if that makes sense.

ETA:  My husband got home a bit ago and he said it DOES feel like leather and I'm smoking crack.  He's feeling kind of sick, though, so I'm going to chalk his not agreeing with me up to that ;D

Overall, though, I like it - it looks nice, and omigod, does it go with the Before the Storm skin.  I should take pics :D  It also feels sturdy, like it offers good protection, AND my Kindle is securely secured in it ( ;D at the redundancy.  Seriously, though, it's not going anywhere - the restraints are just right).

So - Emmy.  She's a sweetheart.  That photo was taken when she was about... 5 or 6 months old, I guess?  Pre-spaying, and pre-pot belly, so she is actually pretty sleek in that one.  OMG about the cat condo.  I'd crack up! :)  The funny thing about Emmy - even grown she's big on letting her legs hang.  One of the places she likes to lounge is along the back of a recliner that hardly ever gets used (unless company comes over).  She'll lay along the top with her front legs and belly along the recliner's back, and her back legs hanging off either side.  It's pretty funny.

Oh - pics in avatars.  Just edit your profile, and you want the "Forum Profile Information" link.  Then, up at the top, you can either upload a pic off your hard drive OR if you've uploaded it to Photobucket or Imgur or the like you can specify the URL.  I don't know if KB limits the image size, but I generally make mine 100 x 100 or 150 x 150 at the largest.  Hope that helps :-)

And... back to flip-covers - I think the reason I love them so much is because of the variety of hands-free reading positions.  I'll frequently cross my legs and then drape the back of it over my knee.  Then I just need a finger or thumb to press the page buttons.  You can also rest the front (kindle portion) on your tummy and then prop the bottom against your lap or knees or however you're arranged.  It's great for curling up on the couch or in a chair :)  As for the book light - sadly, I haven't tried it yet  :-[
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:43:12 PM by Arkali »

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46:32 AM »
Hi Arkali,
Your cover seemed to take longer to get to you. Mine arrived less than a week from when I ordered it. I KNEW your skin would be perfect with the Sienna color  ;D  Glad that worked out well for you.

The dings:
"1) It doesn't FEEL like leather.  It feels kind of plastic-y, as opposed to the soft, buttery feel of leather.  :pout:
----Mine seems to feel more leather-like than plastic-y.....the case itself feels sort of hard vs. plush and soft, but very protective; maybe that has something to do with the feel of the materials....real and synthetic leather varies; e.g., some peppled leathers feel awful to me..... maybe you'll get accustomed to it and like it better in time.
2) The lining feels like denim - it's not very soft.
-----Mine did not feel too soft initially, but I think it feels softer now....hmmmm....or maybe it's my imagination....
3) The tab that holds the cover closed folds from the front to the back - I would have preferred if it closed back-to-front, if that makes sense."

------I think I know what you are saying, however, one of the reasons I chose this cover is because the tab is NOT in the front when the cover is flipped back. If the tab went the other way, and was sticking out from the end of the bottom cover side, it would always be in the way and would drive me nuts. YMMV.......... we all have our different preferences....LOL  

Despite your dings, I am glad you like it overall....and it seems you found some pros.....excellent fit, good protection, looks nice, seems durable, and it's a FLIP! I certainly agree about the flexibility and functionality advantages of flip covers  ;D  I was in Best Buy today and made a point of looking at the K3 cover options - to see what was there and how they compared to internet images....there weren't too many to choose from. They had the lighted Amazon cover in black only; the cover was not as heavy as I expected it to be (in fact, not too heavy at all), and the light feature is cool (I was able to pull out the light, but it doesn't actually light up without the K3 inside), and it felt okay, but it did not fold back very well. They had the M-edge Executive (way too big and heavy IMO), the Latitude in black (the interior light grey fleece material did not appeal to me at all) which folds back okay but then felt a tad bulky to me, and the M-edge Go (Mocha brown only) which was lightweight, slim, and folded back nicely - it did feel a bit softer and more "buttery" than our Sienna covers; nice choice if I wanted a book-style cover. That was it. NO flip covers to be found.  *sigh*  Glad I have the Boxwave Flip  :D

Thanks for the tips for posting the avatar photos. I love cats.... watching their playful antics, watching them sleep, seeing the dangling legs, or laughing at all their cute, but odd, sleeping positions. Isn't it amazing how they can have the same mannerisms, but such very different personalities? Do Emmy and Gypsy get along? I am very lucky. The three kitties I adopted (at different times over the last 2 years) all get along very well, and they are mostly very respectful with my 10 yr. old, 5.8 lb. Chi, even though she barks her head off at them if they scratch on the couch or if they attempt to investigate something that they are not supposed to disturb. I have nick-named my Chi "The Enforcer."  

It's been nice "chatting" with you.....I hope you enjoy your cover.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:39:07 PM by LuvMyKindle »

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • View Profile
    • Victory Editing
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »
I've been having a blast chatting with you, too :)  

And you are SO right about not having many flip-style choices.  I don't get it :(  I asked Oberon if they had any intentions of doing a flip cover and they said no - which sucks, b/c I want an Oberon, but I really don't want a book-style case.  I think part of that is I HATE the idea of folding a book back, and folding a cover back would probably ding that same nerve.

I think I'm going to be really happy with my BoxWave - I haven't "used" it much because right after it came in I started reading a paper book (which I hate... grrrrrr).  I'm thinking as I use it more the materials (both outer "leather" and also lining) will soften up.  And it looks beautiful, so no complaints there :-)

Regarding my furkids - they all get along.  Gypsy is the oldest - she's about 4 now, I think.  Emmy is coming up on 2.  Pippin, my poodle, is the old man - he's 10 or 11, I think.  And then Ruby, a quaker parrot, is probably 5 or 6.  Most of the time Emmy and Gypsy just ignore each other, but I'll hear them running back and forth and playing in the morning.  They all ignore the bird - Gypsy's just always been good about that, and we got Emmy as a just-weaned kitten specifically so she'd grow up with Ruby.  Pippin is a gentle soul and he'll sometimes play with Emmy - she'll chase him, then he'll chase her and they're just cute together.  Gypsy loves Pippin - he's her big bro' and she'll follow him around in the yard and when he lays down, she'll flop down right next to him :-)  It really is funny how they each have their own personalities.  Emmy's funny because she always looks so stoic.  Being a cat is SRS business, I guess ;D

Just a quick edit:  I'd definitely recommend the BoxWave flip to anybody who wants a flip cover, and I'd definitely recommend a flip-style cover :-)  Despite my little quibbles, it really is a sturdy, nice looking cover, and I don't think you can beat it for the price.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:48:23 AM by Arkali »

Offline MeganW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 08:15:06 AM »
Thanks for the great review, Luv!  My parents are getting my husband a graphite Kindle for Christmas and I was looking through this board for a good cover review, and you sold me (I said I'd pick out the cover)!  I won't get to see it until Christmas (it's shipping to my parents' house), but just based on your review, and the Amazon reviews, I think he'll love it.

I have the green lighted Kindle cover and I love it, but I have a feeling I'll be borrowing his cover from time to time.  :)

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
Hi Megan:

I am glad you found the review helpful and I hope your husband likes the Boxwave Flip. It's offered in Sienna (mustard/camel color) and Nero Black. IMO, it's really a very sturdy, protective cover and I don't have to worry about it when it's in my pocketbook. I love that the bottom corner straps are very slim-lined, but yet very secure and do not block any of the keys....and I like that I can see my decalgirl skin. Despite all that, just for variety, since the JavoEdge MiMo Flip cases were on sale on Amazon last weekend, ($17.27 + another $2.62 off with "Kindlebd" discount code) I ordered one in purple. It will cover up most of my decal skin, but hey - it's purple and cost under $15. Since ordering it, however, I have read a few posts from people who say the MiMo covers are somewhat more flimsy than expected and that the kick-stand doesn't snap into place very easily.....oh, well....I'll just have to see for myself when it arrives next week.

Searching for and reading posts about all the covers becomes sort of addicting, and obviously, one product isn't going to please all people. For me, once I went flip-style with my K2 last year, I knew I wouldn't be happy with a book-style again. I don't read in bed with the kindle because I am afraid I would fall asleep and break it somehow or one of my pets would walk across it and break it, otherwise, the lighted Amazon K3 cover would have really tempted me....and I would have gotten it in green, too.

Let us know how you and your husband like the cover........

Hey Arkali:

If you are checking this thread, sorry I did not post back; I was so busy and then had a bad cold and lost my voice, too; felt cruddy, but am feeling better now. Sounds like you, too, have a wonderful fur-baby and feather family  ;D   I have started reading some of the threads in the "Not Quite Kindle" section and have discovered all the pet threads, so maybe I will start posting there since we (my fault) have gotten off topic here; they have the cutest pet stories and photos there, and I saw of a few of your posts.....but geez, I can't keep up with my TBR list of Kindle books....

And Good Grief! I am with you on the Oberon thing; if Oberon ever decides to produce K3 Flip covers, I'm a gonner. I would have a great deal of trouble having to decide between Gingko in Red, the new Paisley in Purple, and Creekbed Maple in ????...maybe Fern. That's this month's streamlined choices, down from a few other of their designs....ha ha ha....how about you?

Offline MeganW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 07:11:23 AM »
Thanks Luv!  So far so good with my lighted cover in bed.  I fall asleep all the time when I'm reading, and I haven't hurt it yet by rolling over on it or the cat walking on it, but only time will tell.  So far it's been pretty sturdy, and I've been using it since the end of August.  Also, I love the fact that the light shuts off when the Kindle goes to sleep.  That was an issue I'd had in the past -- I'd fall asleep and the book light would stay on for sometimes hours until I woke up again and realized the light was still on.

I'll definitely let you know how we like the flip cover.  I decided to get it for him in Sienna, and I think he'll really like it.

Offline bobdev

• Northern Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Robert Devereaux
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 08:16:31 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm going to get one!

Robert
Robert Devereaux

Offline LuvMyKindle

• Las Vegas, Nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »
Cool, Bob! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with this choice.  ;D

My JavoEdge MiMo Flip cover arrived yesterday, several days later than I thought it would. I am going to post a separate review for it in a few days or so. There are aspects I like about it, however, IMO, the Boxwave cover offers better protection, durability, and quality materials/workmanship.   

Offline ReneAZ

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
Will do, Luv.  Oh - great tip about the booklights.  I think I'll look for one tomorrow.  I really, really, really love the flip-style covers and the idea of getting a book-style kind of galls me, actually :D

Oh!  Here's the skin I'm 99% sure I'm going to get:

I think it adds a splash of color, plus brings the graphite / sienna together.  We'll see :-)

OMG, this is GORGEOUS!!!!  I never considered buying a skin.  (I have a cover that is like a holster that my kindle slides into, and you would not see the skin.)  But I have never seen one this beautiful!  I can see why people have a lot of accessories. 

Offline Zion34

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »
Very nice! That is one of the sleekest cases I have seen in awhile. When I finally upgrade from my Kindle 2 to the 3 I will be looking into this one.