Author Topic: Tips, FAQs and Useful Threads for Authors  (Read 423835 times)  

Offline C Ryan Bymaster

• Walnut, California
    • View Profile
    • C Ryan Bymaster
Re: Tips, FAQs and Useful Threads for Authors
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:18 AM »
First you must upload the cover image to the internet. If you don't have your own domain you can use an image hosting service like Flickr or Photobucket.

When you've uploaded the image, copy the URL to your post and enclose it inside image brackets.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.myimages/NewCoverImageForBymasterWIP.jpg[/img]

Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated

C. Ryan Bymaster | C. Ryan Bymaster | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline beccatust

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »
Thanks for all of the useful information.  It's nice to have in one spot! ;D

Offline A. Evermore

• View Profile
    • A. Evermore
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2014, 02:20:17 AM »
Thanks for the tips :)

AE

Offline D.A.Chambers

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2014, 04:45:46 AM »
Just saying thanks! Definitely bookmarked this post  :D

Watcher of Big Cat Diaries
D.A. Chambers | Twitter!

Offline derekneville

• New England
    • View Profile
    • Verbal Sushi
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
I am overwhelmed (in a good way) by the amount of resources available in this thread alone. It's great to see so many people helping everyone out. I'll definitely be combing through this thread.

Derek Neville | Author Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline Scarrface

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »
How can I link my reviews on amazon.co.uk with my books on here?

Offline KReadnour

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
There is so much information of this thread alone! Thanks!!
Impossible Love: 29%
Kimberly Readnour | website

Offline goofygoblin

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2014, 06:57:40 AM »
Hi everyone,
I would like to introduce a new service that is starting up which focuses on independent authors.
Booksyeah is an online platform that connects authors, publishers, especially independent authors and self-publishers, with readers. With Booksyeah, authors will have a place to display and promote their published work.  Booksyeah has the potential to solve the number one problem plaguing authors how to get noticed. 
We provide a trusted spot for authors to promote their work, as well as a resource for readers looking for new stories to read. Also, authors can create an online profile/resume to promote themselves and connect to authors and publishers.
Our Mission
Booksyeah was created to bridge the gap between authors and readers.  In particular we are inspired by the independent author and small publishers who toil and trouble over getting noticed and selling books. We are inspired by human curiosity and the love of a good story. We understand that it is very difficult for authors to get noticed and afford advertisement.  Our goal is to rectify this problem by creating what we believe is a revolution in an advertising/publicity service. Our true goal is to simplify the process of promoting published works and to remove the stigma surrounding self-publishing, which we believe is the future of writing.
We are currently looking for support to launch our project through Kickstarter and are offering rewards of free advertising incentives though our site and social media sites which we think will be useful to authors like you.
If you are interested please visit http://kck.st/XO7VUp or would like more information please contact me at goofygoblin@gmail.com.

Offline Adrian P

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Discover Minimalism
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2014, 09:13:53 AM »
The information here was very helpful, especially the part about how to make a signature.
Oddly enough, though, I'm still struggling to figure out how to add a PROFILE PICTURE.   :o
Can anyone help?

I even went to this page - http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,231.0.html - and clicked "How to Set Up Your Avatar," but the link didn't work.

Finding joy and fulfillment through simplifying one's life.
Adrian Pepperdine | Discover Minimalism

Offline Adrian P

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Discover Minimalism
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
Well, I found it!

If you let your mouse hover over the "Profile" button in the top menu bar, 3 options pop up.  Select the one that says "Forum Profile," and you'll be able to set up your Avatar from there.

Finding joy and fulfillment through simplifying one's life.
Adrian Pepperdine | Discover Minimalism

Offline dmdaye

• View Profile
    • Clarity of Daylight
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
Many thanks for posting this, so helpful

Offline GutterMargin

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »
Speaking of links: Today's cool fact of the day is: In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on Amazon Dotcom."..."insert text in your review that looks something like this: [[ASIN:0710042001 Too Fat to Fish (Book 1) (Hardcover)]]. When your review is displayed on Amazon Dotcom, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink."..." You are limited to 10 hyper-active product links in your review, and your link text may not be longer than 256 characters --- you can enter the text that creates a product link directly. Start with "[[ASIN:" and then include the ASIN (an Amazon identification number that can usually be found in the Product Details section of a product page). Next, type a space and then the text you'd like to appear when the link is displayed. Finish up with "]]" ~Amazon Dotcom et.al.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:56:36 PM by GutterMargin »

Offline cockadock

• View Profile
Re: Authors: 7 essential KindleBoards tips
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
Hi. I am about to do a Kboard promotion on a bargain book. My regular price is $2.99. I can take the sale price to .99 or 1.99. Does anyone have experience with both in terms of sales? My thought is that the word SALE may be more important than the actual price. Any thoughts/advice/experience will be most appreciated.

Offline Stephanie Tsikrikas

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2014, 05:37:12 AM »
Thank you for this post. I'm new here, and the boards are a bit intimidating for me right now. Thanks for giving me a road map!  ;)

Offline Michelle Lowery

• San Antonio, TX
  • Writer, Editor, Word Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
Hi! I'm new here, and it's been YEARS since I participated in a forum like this. Still finding my way around and figuring things out, but I do have one quick question.

What does it mean to add someone to a Buddy List? Does that mean I'll receive a notification whenever they post? Or if I use this, am I going to look like I'm stalking people I don't even know yet?  :)

Thank you!

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
Adding someone to your Buddy list doesn't do a whole lot... it will let you easily see if that person is online (for sending Personal Messages, for example). It doesn't really do much more than that!
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline Michelle Lowery

• San Antonio, TX
  • Writer, Editor, Word Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
Haha! Good to know. Thanks so much, Harvey!  :)

Offline Alithedreamer

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2014, 06:28:11 PM »
Hiya! I am having some trouble navigating the site. I set up a profile page some days ago yet I do not see it when I search for it. I was trying to find out how I could get my book on the KB Books page.
I also paid to get some advertising done but I've not received any confirmation or email on the matter.
Feeling confused 
Please can someone help me
Alisha

Alisha Nurse | facebook | website | twitter | instagram | blog

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
Alisha,

welcome to KBoards, and congratulations on your first post!

Your book is in the KB Books pages--you should be able to see it by clicking here:
http://www.kboards.com/books/index.php/?p_sort=Author&p_genre=&p_start=A&p_page=13
and scrolling towards the bottom of the page.

I'll pass on your question about the advertising to Harvey, the site owner, who handles the advertising.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
Hiya! I am having some trouble navigating the site. I set up a profile page some days ago yet I do not see it when I search for it. I was trying to find out how I could get my book on the KB Books page.
I also paid to get some advertising done but I've not received any confirmation or email on the matter.
Feeling confused 
Please can someone help me
Alisha

Hi, Alisha,
 We received your ad order a few hours ago -- thank you! You'll receive a confirmation email shortly, sent to your PayPal email address (i.e. your hotmail email address). Thanks for the order!
-Harvey

Offline LondonCalling

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Just a quick shout-out and thank you to everyone who provided information in this thread! I've been obsessively reading it this past week and clicking on all of the links. Extraordinarily helpful! 8)

Alexandra Little | Website | Twitter | Facebook Page | Instagram

Offline sofiavelardi77

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
Hello everyone. Newbie here trying my luck with this writing thing.

I recently published two erotic novellas on amazon. The first one does not show at all when I search for it by title. If I search by author's name, it get a list of books except mine but at the top is says "excluding adult items". When I click on "show all results" my book shows. This is very frustrating because my second novella shows up when I search  by title or author's name. Does anyone know why this is happening? Could it be that the cover is too racy? I attached it below. Please help.

[edited to remove cover image - Admin.]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:37:21 PM by Harvey »

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »
Hello everyone. Newbie here trying my luck with this writing thing.

I recently published two erotic novellas on amazon. The first one does not show at all when I search for it by title. If I search by author's name, it get a list of books except mine but at the top is says "excluding adult items". When I click on "show all results" my book shows. This is very frustrating because my second novella shows up when I search  by title or author's name. Does anyone know why this is happening? Could it be that the cover is too racy? I attached it below. Please help.

[edited to remove cover image - Admin.]

Please clarify -- are you trying to find the books on Amazon's site? If so, I'll move your question to our Writers' Cafe, where someone may be able to help resolve this.

Offline WayneHoss

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
just thought I would add a bit for aspiring authors.  ;D

I will give you the best advice that I have learned over the years to be an author. Not that I am all that, because I assure you that I am not; but Al Remington did call my book "A Phenomenal read!"
The most important advice that I can give anyone that wants to pursue a career as an author is this:
1) Only write on subjects that you are comfortable with and have a lot of knowledge of. Only write what you feel your niche is.
2) This probably should have been number one because I have found it of utmost importance... Only write when you are feeling it deep within, almost as if someone else were feeding you the words magically. What we writers refer to as the flow.
3) when that flow comes, be prepared at all times to get it down as fast as possible, because when the words do start to flow they sometimes come almost as if released from a flood gate; fast.
4) Do not worry about spelling and/or punctuation errors, there will be plenty of time for all of that later. It is more important to jot it down as fast as you possibly can, without concern for spelling or grammatical errors, because once you stop that flow, it may never come back again, and if it does I can almost guarantee you that it will not be as good as the first time that it came to you
5) Never and I do mean NEVER force yourself to write just because of a deadline, or because you think that it has been way too long since you worked on your book and you feel the need to finish it. When I was on the last chapter of my second book, I had not written it the book or even taken notes for over 2 months, and I felt the need to get that last chapter finished so that I could get the book out to publishers.
It was a BIG mistake. Three days later when I came back to read the last chapter that I made myself finish that day, it was so bad that I tore it up and threw it away. To this day I never force myself to write. If I am not in the mood, or feeling the flow, then I will not allow myself to write in the book.
That is the best advice that I have at the moment, but I can tell you this, it is important that you have an awesome bubbly personality, or that you are good at lifting peoples spirits, and even better yet if you are good at making people laugh. That is a huge advantage when it comes to writing, because people want to be uplifted. They want to break away from reality and go to a happier place. a happy, bubbly personality is just the vehicle to get them there ;0)

Yours truly: Wayne Hoss

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:58:33 PM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline Mike Dennis

• Key West
  • From the shadows of Key West
    • View Profile
    • Mike Dennis / noir fiction
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »
How do i get link maker to provide a link to an image of an audiobook cover which I want to put in my signature?