KB Featured
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: My Book Bazaar thread is dead, to begin with.  (Read 2053 times)  

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
    • Imogen Rose
Re: My Book Bazaar thread is dead, to begin with.
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »
Nookboards has a sub special forum for giveaways and special offers. I wonder how Harvey would feel about setting one up here. Possibly as a separate and visible sub forum (like Introductions).

Offline Bleekness

• Newfoundland
    • View Profile
    • www.keithcblackmore.com
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
So it's dying of suffocation. 
It'll have to get medicated ::)

I was just in a giving mood that day (was that only yesterday?!?) and a little surprised it was so hard to give something away for free.

I tried to do the same for one of my books about a month ago. I wanted to give away ten copies--no one took me up on it. I wondered if it was just cuz of the format (PDF) or because I asked for a review or... something else. :-[

Keith

Offline David 'Half-Orc' Dalglish

• Missouri
  • I tell stories.
    • View Profile
    • Official Website
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »
I tried to do the same for one of my books about a month ago. I wanted to give away ten copies--no one took me up on it. I wondered if it was just cuz of the format (PDF) or because I asked for a review or... something else. :-[

That's because one of the bigger challenges of an indie author isn't getting people to part with their money: it is about getting them to believe the book is worth their time.

We all are pressed for time. Every book I read means there are 200 I'm not reading on my Kindle. Someone offers their book for free. Awesome! But who says I want to spend the time and effort to read it? Who knows if it is -any- good? And for awhile, people were giving books out free all the time on the Bazaar. If not carefully worded, it comes across more as desperation (I can't get no reviews sales/so please read my book for free in hopes you'll review or tell others!).

Honestly, I'll pay for a book I'm interested in if it is an indie. Very rarely will I grab one just because I can get it free. I mean, come on, its 99 cents most of the time anyway. OoOoOoh.

David Dalglish

p.s.

I want to make it clear I am NOT making any assumption/implications on the two authors who just said they tried a free giveaway. Just going by experience from being here on the KB for awhile.
  |    |  |

Offline telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »
Well, the phrase is there, but are there any other door nails?

Offline Bleekness

• Newfoundland
    • View Profile
    • www.keithcblackmore.com
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 03:15:14 AM »
If not carefully worded, it comes across more as desperation (I can't get no reviews sales/so please read my book for free in hopes you'll review or tell others!).

Actually, you hit it there--I was thinking that it might have come across as desperation.

Ah well. New Year. New tactics. New covers.

And a new bottle of Mr Daniels I think Santa slipped into me fireplace sock :)

Keith