KB Featured
The Sun God's Heir: Return (Book One)
by Elliott Baker

Kindle Edition published 2017-01-02
Bestseller ranking:

Product Description
For three thousand years a hatred burns. In seventeenth century Bordeaux two souls incarnate, one born the child of a prosperous merchant, the other, steals a life determined to continue a brutal incarnation begun long ago.

Under the guidance of Pharaoh, two brothers grew strong in knowledge and power, one a physician, the other a general. With the pharaoh’s untimely death, a deep hatred blossoms. One remembers, one does not.

The year is 1671. René Gilbert’s destiny glints from the blade of a slashing rapier. To protect those he loves he must regain the power and knowledge earned in an ancient lifetime. From Bordeaux to Spain to Morocco, René is tested and with each turn of fate he gathers enemies and allies as the memory and power of a lifetime as physician to Pharaoh returns.

Determined to continue a reign of terror that once caused the Nile to run red, Horemheb takes over the life of a young man mortally wo…

Author Topic: Kindle Bible Question  (Read 6781 times)  

Offline Martel47

• Indianapolis Area soon to move to Memphis, TN
  • Kindle DX Owner, Grad Student, Husband, and Dad
    • View Profile
Kindle Bible Question
« on: December 20, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
My wife asked me a question at church on Sunday, and I'm hoping y'all can help me find an answer.

Is there any version of the Bible available for Kindle that makes it easy to know what book of the Bible you are reading?  She noticed, when she ran a search on a particular word that when she found the particular passage she was looking for/a passage she liked containing that word, that it didn't tell her what book she was in!  It was easy to see verse numbers, and she could scroll to the chapter number, but the name of the book required several page turns to find.
Reading science fiction outdoors: the best of all worlds!

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• North Riverside, IL, USA
  • Joe Chiappetta, author of Star Chosen sci-fi novel
    • View Profile
    • Star Chosen science fiction novel and Silly Daddy comics
Re: Kindle Bible Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:45:26 AM »
That very question is the reason why I don't use any Kindle Bibles in settings like church or group Bible study. There's just no substitute (yet) for a physical books when it comes to navigating quickly from verse to verse in multiple books of the Bible.

Offline Martel47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:09:03 PM »
If I'm studying a specific verse or passage and know what book I'm reading, this isn't a problem.  Searching the Bible with the Kindle is a great idea, because you don't need a huge concordance, but once you find a verse, you don't know where it is!  Oh well.  I've tried a lot of sample Bibles, but still haven't found one that meets my wife's needs.

I am considering buying the NET with notes for myself, but I don't see myself using the Bible on my Kindle much.  Now, commentaries are a different matter, if more good ones were available, I'd be in heaven.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
My wife asked me a question at church on Sunday, and I'm hoping y'all can help me find an answer.

Is there any version of the Bible available for Kindle that makes it easy to know what book of the Bible you are reading?  She noticed, when she ran a search on a particular word that when she found the particular passage she was looking for/a passage she liked containing that word, that it didn't tell her what book she was in!  It was easy to see verse numbers, and she could scroll to the chapter number, but the name of the book required several page turns to find.

The problem is that the Kindle does not support section headers or footers.  In Osnova editions of the Bible, I have put the chapter number before each verse number (e.g. 3.16 = chapter 3 verse 16), then instead of saying "Chapter" before each chapter, I put the name of the book.  So, if you end up at John 3:16, you will see "3.16", when you go one page back (or press left on the 5-way joystick), you will see "John 3."  This way, it is not too difficult to figure out where you are.

Another trick is when you search for a word to look at the search results screen.  In OSNOVA Bibles, on that screen you will see the exact passage, e.g. "jn.3.16".  Then once you select one of the search results, you will just see "3.16" and the text.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:26:58 PM by osnova »

Offline Martel47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
I like the idea of Chapter headings.  That's probably the best bet.  A lot of the Bibles out there just say "Chapter 12".  Of course, if you're in Mark 14 or Psalm 119, you still might have to do a couple of page turns, but better than going to the beginning of the book.

OSNOVA, I'm going to check out some of your Bibles.  I personally like the 1901 ASV for some study, but I'd really like to find an (under copyright) modern translation for my wife that solves her problem.  Who knows, she might just want to spend the $5, anyway.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
I personally like the 1901 ASV for some study, but I'd really like to find an (under copyright) modern translation for my wife that solves her problem.  Who knows, she might just want to spend the $5, anyway.

If you want a modern translation for Bible study, look at the NET Bible.  It has 60,000 notes and is a solid translation.

Offline love2read

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »
I have the Osnova NET Bible and the Osnova King James Bible. I can't speak highly enough about them. They are so much easier to find a verse on my Kindle and the Study Notes are wonderful. They are definitely worth the price. Today I also picked up the Osnova King James New Testament with Strong Concordance and also the Osnova Matthew Henry Commentary.

When I'm in church I always use the NET Bible to quickly look up scripture. So these Bibles are the easiest I've found in being able to figure out where I'm at in the Bible.

I highly recommend them!

Offline unknown2cherubim

• Lost in the Mighty Redwoods, No. Cal.
  • I'm a librarian, it is the best job on earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
The NET Bible doesn't work very well for me.  What I want is to look up individual verses simply.  However, when I look up John 3:16, it gives me all the notes which refer to the verse, not just the verse itself.  Could be very helpful in some circumstances but not for quick lookups.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »
The NET Bible doesn't work very well for me.  What I want is to look up individual verses simply.  However, when I look up John 3:16, it gives me all the notes which refer to the verse, not just the verse itself.  Could be very helpful in some circumstances but not for quick lookups.

unknown2cherubim, what you describe does not sound right, although I have difficulty understanding what the issue is.  When you use the DVJ (or DVJ-2) you should end up at the correct place in the Bible (not "all the notes that refer to the verse").  The Bible text has subscript numbers-links.  If you click on those you would end up at the notes page (when you click "Back" you will end up back at the Bible text).  Could you try to follow exactly the instructions for DVJ (http://osnova.com/2010/12/09/279/) and see if you still do not see the Bible text.  One thing not to forget is that you need to press enter twice after jn.3.16.

Your Bible might also have DVJ-2 (if not send me a pm and I will send you an updated file).  It is described here http://osnova.com/2010/12/06/dvj-2-is-here/

Offline unknown2cherubim

• Lost in the Mighty Redwoods, No. Cal.
  • I'm a librarian, it is the best job on earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 08:08:03 AM »
You know, I apparently don't know what I am talking about either.  Sorry, Osnova.  I just looked up Je.50.1 and a couple of other verses easily. I'll get back to you if I figure out what I did wrong before.  All I know is I was getting notes when I just wanted Scripture.  Hmm.

Offline Asvpub

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
Actually our book "Kindle Bibe - Holy Bible formatted for the Amazon Kindle",

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Bible-Formatted-Amazon-ebook/dp/B0032UYGE6,

has a unique way of handling the issue your wife encountered.  Throughout the text, along the left edge, are  [chapter:verse] tags that you can click on.  Just click on one and it jumps you into an index where you can see the full book name.  Then press [BACK] on the Kindle to go back to where you were reading.  So at any given moment you are just a click away from finding out the book name.

Or if you'd rather have a KJV bible that does the same thing, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Bible-Authorized-Formatted-ebook/dp/B003WQART8

Offline draytonbenner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
KJV Bible is a Bible app (Kindle Active Content) for e-ink Kindles that shows where you are in the Bible at the top at all times as you are reading, shows you book/chapter/verse for all search results, annotations, etc. It also allows for more rapid navigation to a book/chapter/verse than is possible with regular e-books in the Kindle store.