Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: My pros & cons so far by DD-edited 4/15/09  (Read 16381 times)  

Offline patrisha w.

• Vermont
  • "I yam what I yam"
    • View Profile
Re: My pros & cons so far by DD
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 05:48:35 AM »
Adding to the "not so crazy about it" list - the 5-way is a little difficult to control. I can't maneuver it accurately with my thumb flat.  I have to use my fingernail along the edge to move in different directions or I find myself pushing down on it instead.  Not such a problem for me but for someone without long enough fingernails it could be difficult.  Wonder how some of you are getting around this.  
I guess it is practice because I have VERY short fingernails and I move the 5-way with no problem. What I do have a little problem with is the wake-sleep switch. I actually let the nail on my right hand index finger grow a bit to help me with this!

Offline happyblob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
actually thats a good point DD, i never thought of the learning benefits by using two sensory channels at the same time.
It certainly sounds good in theory, but for me it doesnt hold up in practice. The speech distracts me and slows me down.

Offline kyliedork

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
It certainly sounds good in theory, but for me it doesnt hold up in practice. The speech distracts me and slows me down.

Use the Force, Luke. :)
Kindle 2 Rocks

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
Re: My pros & cons so far by DD-edited 4/15/09
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 03:02:22 AM »
I guess it is practice because I have VERY short fingernails and I move the 5-way with no problem. What I do have a little problem with is the wake-sleep switch. I actually let the nail on my right hand index finger grow a bit to help me with this!

Come to think of it, I do use my right index finger nail for that too, patrisha.

I've gotten used to the 5-way controller with time.  In the beginning, I had heard it described as a joy stick and I guess I thought I was going to be able to place the flat of my index finger on it and easily move it in any direction.  That is not the case.  It's more like a 5-way clicker and I have to use the edge of my index finger or thumb or a fingernail to push and pull it in different directions.  But, as I said, it's second nature now.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 03:04:02 AM »
It certainly sounds good in theory, but for me it doesn’t hold up in practice. The speech distracts me and slows me down.

I only use it on the treadmill, where I read a little more slowly than when I'm at rest.  I use it on the fastest speed.  That helps.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Kind

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »
Regarding the speech ... I think it's good for kids who can't read ...and you wanna get them off to sleep quickly but don't wanna do the reading!!   :D :D

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

Offline kyliedork

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
Kind, that sounds like K2 parenting syndrome :)
Kindle 2 Rocks