Author Topic: DEXTER!  (Read 1019 times)  

Offline shotgunxbaby3

• View Profile
DEXTER!
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:38:25 PM »
If anyone has watched the Dexter TV show on Showtime, you should read the books by Jeff Lindsay. There are 5 out thus far:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Dearly Devoted Dexter
Dexter In The Dark
Dexter By Design
Dexter Is Delicious

I've already read the first four and they are great. Reading in the Southern Vampire series forums, I see that a few people don't like how the books (somewhat) flow with the show, which would make the Dexter books a great read for those people. The Dexter books go in a completely different direction than the show, with my experience thus far, I am greatly behind on the TV series.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:48:45 PM by Harvey »

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
Re: DEXTER!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
I liked the first two books, didnt like the third at all. The supernatural direction change in the third book ruined the series for me. I probably wont read any of the others.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:05:31 PM by jmiked »
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline kindlequeen

• SF Bay Area, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
The fact that so many of the reviews on Amazon said they liked the tv show more (unusual since books vs movies = books always win).... I was hesitant to read them.  You're making me change my mind.... especially since they tend to veer in different directions.  I LOVE the tv show....
The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.  ~ Mark Twain

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline shotgunxbaby3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:49:29 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty cool how the show and books go off on different story lines, that way you get Dexter in two different worlds.

Offline JimJ

• Bristol, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 11:54:17 PM »
The fact that so many of the reviews on Amazon said they liked the tv show more (unusual since books vs movies = books always win).... I was hesitant to read them.  You're making me change my mind.... especially since they tend to veer in different directions.  I LOVE the tv show....

The first season of the show was based on the first book. After that the show started doing it's own thing completely. They changed a lot from the first book too. I've only read the first two books and I liked them both. Haven't got around to the third yet mainly because all the reviews mentioning a supernatural element really put me off. I don't mind supernatural stories but I just think that the supernatural has no place in the Dexter universe.

Offline shotgunxbaby3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
I could see that putting people off, but I kind of liked it. I feel it's a closer look into the psyche of the Dark Passenger.

Offline carl_h

• Medford, OR
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Carl
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the show but haven't read any of the books.  Sounds like a recommendation to read the books.
Check out my bookshelves on Goodreads - where you can see what your friends are reading.
https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDI1NDg2NTE6MzYw  Feel free to "friend me"!

See some of my photos http://www.chhphotos.zenfolio.com

Offline L.J. Sellers, novelist

• Eugene, OR
  • L.J. Sellers, mystery/suspense novelist
    • View Profile
    • L.J. Sellers, Mystery/Suspense Novelist
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 06:39:17 AM »
I quit reading serial killer stories years ago, but still I watched the first few seasons of this show. I found it both compelling and repulsive. (I'm a fan of Michael C. Hall.) Once the character had a wife and child, I lost interest in the show and was relieved to be done with it.
L.J.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:12:01 AM »
I quit reading serial killer stories years ago,

I'm with you. I wouldnt have read the first three novels, except they were loaned to me and I was curious. I certainly wouldnt have bought them.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline j.m.zambrano

• Colorado
    • View Profile
    • jmzambrano.com
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 08:27:18 AM »
Love Dexter!  I started with the TV series and have watched every episode of every season.  True, after season one, the books veered off in their own direction.  I've read the first three and expect to read the next two.  They equal the series in entertainment value.

Offline KindleChickie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »
I stopped reading the series because of the publishers setting agency price on the books.  I refuse to play their game.  And I was well sick of Dexter the family man.  And dont get me started on the kids in the books...

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac