Author Topic: Series book club question  (Read 15000 times)  

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Re: Series book club question
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
Yes, what Ann said. 

The only think we ask is that you discuss the chapters within that chapter thread.  We'll be having our last Outlander discussion this coming week, but feel free to go back to the previous discussions and post as you read the book. 

At the beginning of each thread are a series of questions you may choose to answer or you may choose to comment on what others have said.  Discuss any point you wish outside the questions.  There are many people here who love the books and we'll keep an eye out for your posts. 

We'll be starting to read Dragonfly in Amber on 2/25 and discussing the first chapters on the following Monday, so feel free to jump in when you catch up. 

Ann, I hope you'll be able to continue reading and enjoying.  I'll be watching the previous discussion for your posts, too.  You know me.  I'll discuss Outlander at the drop of a hat. 

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
    • The Only Blog for an Extraterrestrial Woman (?)
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 06:45:27 AM »
I've been wondering what to do about series too, naturally enough. I guess we'll see how the Distant Cousin (Kousin?) klub goes and what folks want to do, and then do that. Flexible is good, right?

Al Past | Ana Darcy's Blog

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 02:00:56 AM »
Sooooo... despite the vote, Book Klub readers have to get through 14 more books before we ever get a Princess Bride klub?  I'm just checking, trying to figure out when I need to start preparing.
At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 06:39:47 AM »
Sooooo... despite the vote, Book Klub readers have to get through 14 more books before we ever get a Princess Bride klub?  I'm just checking, trying to figure out when I need to start preparing.

I don't see why you have to wait.  I'm in three Klubs right now and there's no reason why Klubs can run in parallel.  The Whiskey Rebels only has two more weeks to run.  In Her Name is about half done. 

Jeff isn't going to do Gone For a Soldier, which was going to start on 4/2.  Why don't you see about filling that slot? 

The whole idea of having multiple Klubs running at one time is to cover several genres at once so members can pick and choose. 

C'mon, Jim.  Don't be shy.  Step up to the plate.   ;)

Offline bosslady402

• Niagara Falls
  • the artist at work
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »

Maybe there should be another poll - if there are enough people who are not part of the current series book klubs, and/or would not mind doing both, you could start anytime. The Outlander series, assuming we do all 6 books and then the 7th when it is published, will be going well into October, and I can't imagine we'd want you to wait that long.

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
C'mon, Jim.  Don't be shy.  Step up to the plate.  

Jim?  Shy?  Our favorite Jim?  That we all know and love (and fear?  a little?)?   Jim who doesn't drink blue margaritas?  Tell you what:  if you start the Princess Bride club, I'll come in and answer questions every week.  Really!  with real answers and everything!  And not  scrap of verse in sight (I'm a prose kinda girl anyway.).  

You could probably start the klub the same time we start gertie's new klub and mine, and post the first section of reading next week.  Betsy and Harvey are very good about enforcing the "no beating the facilitator with sticks" rule.  All I would ask is that you don't jack my Wednesday 9 pm chat slot.
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »
Jim?  Shy?  Our favorite Jim?  That we all know and love (and fear?  a little?)?   Jim who doesn't drink blue margaritas?  Tell you what:  if you start the Princess Bride club, I'll come in and answer questions every week.  Really!  with real answers and everything!  And not a scrap of verse in sight (I'm a prose kinda girl anyway.).  

Now that's an offer Jim can't refuse.   ;)  That makes two of us.  Where Robin and I lead, others will follow.  They're used to it. 

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »
Where Robin and I lead, others will follow.  They're used to it.

If there was a doubtful smiley, it would be here now.  But I digress.  I think Jim should start the Princess Bride klub forthwith.  Posthaste.  Immediately.  And if he doesn't, I'm just going to start stalking him around the board, posting "INCONCEIVABLE!"  every time he posts something.  Until Harvey kills me with a stick.

Also, I meant to say this earlier and didn't:  Ann, I'm pretty sure nobody here thinks you're miserable or a failure.  I mean, HOLY COW!!!  You were in FOUR book klubs at the same time!!  And in the case of the DUD klub, it was a genre that you don't even like that much!  I couldn't keep two straight, and I can barely remember from week to week what it is we should be discussing in the klub I'm (allegedly) leading!  rofl, there's a reason that every week I remind everyone that "the shower scene is not in this book".  And that reason is:  this is either the shower scene book, or it's not.  I recognize the days of the week that way too:  it's either donut Wednesday, or it's not.  As long as you're enjoying yourself, that's really all that matters.

That, and that you've checked your stick at the door.
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 07:21:04 AM »
If there was a doubtful smiley, it would be here now. 

Only because we are already Klub leaders.  Guess I didn't 'splain that very well.   :D

But I digress.  I think Jim should start the Princess Bride klub forthwith.  Posthaste.  Immediately.  And if he doesn't, I'm just going to start stalking him around the board, posting "INCONCEIVABLE!"  every time he posts something.  Until Harvey kills me with a stick.

Sounds like a plan.  I hate waiting.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »
Sorry, in February I was off dreaming of palm trees and managed to miss this thread completely.  We are going to be starting some new book klubs this spring now that we've got a fair idea of how well received they are (VERY) and a good structure.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline meodingu

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
Sorry, in February I was off dreaming of palm trees and managed to miss this thread completely.  We are going to be starting some new book klubs this spring now that we've got a fair idea of how well received they are (VERY) and a good structure.

Betsy

bạn hy cố gắng ln .... chc bạn thnh cng ;D

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac