Kindle Forum banner

Why Kindle 2 is not an Apple product by Jim1010

22K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  Tip10 
#1 ·
Kindle 2 is fun, but it would never have been made by Apple. Here are four reasons. There are many more!

1. The screen still isn't bright like paper. It looks dull and waxy, like multiply-recycled paper, or unbleached paper that can be found in some Indian and third-world books.

2. The screen savers cannot be removed. This seems to be a small point here on KindleBoard, but Apple would never let it happen. There will be people, like me, who find them generic and childish. Someone said, on another post, that they are reminiscent of the posters in Barnes and Noble. That is not praise! They are Eurocentric, clichéd, unimaginative, and above all they are not mine! Apple would have made it easier, not harder, to get rid of the screensavers.

3. Apple would have made it easy to make the top and bottom of the screen blank. That extra information can be very annoying. Why not just show it when the user presses a button? Kindle 2 is reminiscent of Microsoft Word 2008, which also forces an extra bar on users (just above the page), which cannot be removed.

4. The design is intermittently silly. The packaging reminds me of shallow trays that are sometimes used by Chinese and Thai takeways. The spills of letters that ornament the packaging, and also the manual, look like 1970s student graphic designs.

5.  Apple would have had a touch screen, like the iPhone, instead of the keyboard, which is not needed all the time -- so why show it all the time?

I'm not sad I bought the Kindle 2, but I can clearly see it will be superseded by Apple, or Google, unless it radically improves in its next incarnation.

See less See more
#3 ·
They are Eurocentric

Um, whats wrong with that asks this european? :eek:

Let me guess, trying to flame? What exactly does Apple have to do with the Amazon Kindle? I am not getting this.

So every item in the universe has be made by a company named Apple or else? Washing machines too? Ladders?

What about hamburgers, no? ok.

#4 ·
I'm finding it telling that this is his 1st post.  Have some Kindle haters (what's up with that?) made it to the board.

#5 ·
Here's another way you can tell it's not an Apple product:

I actually bought one.  I would never consider buying any more Apple products.

#6 ·
O.K.  Folks.  Ease up.  Jim1010 is entitled to his opinion  . . . We shall not call each other Haters. . .we shall not bash the Apple company.  If you disagree, all you need to say is "I disagree". . . . .

For the record, Jim, I disagree with your contention that it will be superseded by Apple or Google without radical improvement.  I find even the Kindle 1 to be superior, as a reading device, to an iPhone or any other PDA type device.  My opinion only, of course. 

Ann

#7 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
O.K. Folks. Ease up. Jim1010 is entitled to his opinion . . . We shall not call each other Haters. . .we shall not bash the Apple company. If you disagree, all you need to say is "I disagree". . . . .

For the record, Jim, I disagree with your contention that it will be superseded by Apple or Google without radical improvement. I find even the Kindle 1 to be superior, as a reading device, to an iPhone or any other PDA type device. My opinion only, of course.

Ann
I will apologize for the 'hater' remark, however, I question the purpose of the post.

#9 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry about the Apple business... I work in an art school, and Apple and Apple design are everywhere. There's also the press speculation about Apple coming out with an e-book reader. But I didn't mean to offend anyone! And I'm very happy using my Kindle. (In Copenhagen, by the way, speaking of Eurocentrism!)

I just hope Amazon continues to keep working on it.

#11 ·
Jim1010 said:
Kindle 2 is fun, but it would never have been made by Apple. Here are four reasons. There are many more!

1. The screen still isn't bright like paper. It looks dull and waxy, like multiply-recycled paper, or unbleached paper that can be found in some Indian and third-world books.

2. The screen savers cannot be removed. This seems to be a small point here on KindleBoard, but Apple would never let it happen. There will be people, like me, who find them generic and childish. Someone said, on another post, that they are reminiscent of the posters in Barnes and Noble. That is not praise! They are Eurocentric, clichéd, unimaginative, and above all they are not mine! Apple would have made it easier, not harder, to get rid of the screensavers.

3. Apple would have made it easy to make the top and bottom of the screen blank. That extra information can be very annoying. Why not just show it when the user presses a button? Kindle 2 is reminiscent of Microsoft Word 2008, which also forces an extra bar on users (just above the page), which cannot be removed.

4. The design is intermittently silly. The packaging reminds me of shallow trays that are sometimes used by Chinese and Thai takeways. The spills of letters that ornament the packaging, and also the manual, look like 1970s student graphic designs.

5. Apple would have had a touch screen, like the iPhone, instead of the keyboard, which is not needed all the time -- so why show it all the time?

I'm not sad I bought the Kindle 2, but I can clearly see it will be superseded by Apple, or Google, unless it radically improves in its next incarnation.
Ok, Jim, you are entitled to an honest opinion. I disagree with you on much of what you said, so I will answer you point by point:

1. I like the background shade of the screen, especially in the Kindle 2. I would think a stark white background with black text would cause much more eyestrain.

2. I also would like to be able to change the screensavers but I do not dislike the design of the existing ones.

3. I do not find the subtle informational bars on the top and bottom of the reading page distracting at all. In fact, real paper books usually have the book title somewhere on top of the page.

4. I do not read the package. The design of the box is not an issue that has to do with the Kindle 2 itself as a book reader.

5. Why in the world would I want a touchscreen on a book reader when I'm trying to read a book? I find touchscreens to be unreliable anyway. I bought the Blackberry Storm and returned it within 2 hours. Hated it. A touchscreen would be a very bad and unnecessary idea in a book reader in my opinion.

Respectfully disagreeing,
DD

#13 ·
ScottBooks said:
I seriously doubt that Apple or Google will ever approach the content available to the Kindle. As a Reader, that is all that matters.
Exactly, Amazon introduced a book reader to let them sell ebooks,with books being their primary business. Apple is a hardware manufacturer without the available books. Kindle wins hands down in the available books category.

#14 ·
intinst said:
Exactly, Amazon introduced a book reader to let them sell ebooks,with books being their primary business. Apple is a hardware manufacturer without the available books. Kindle wins hands down in the available books category.
Bingo!

Amazon is the largest book (e-book or DTB) in the known universe.

#16 ·
Apple would have made a different product, but I'm not certain it would have been better.

While I absolutely adore my iPhone, I'm another one who's very glad there is no touch screen on the K2.  I get irritated enough when there's a speck of dust on it--fingerprints blurring the screen would make me absolutely insane.

On the other hand, you're definitely right about the screensavers. :)  I'd give a lot to have them either changeable or at least be able to pick ONE of the 25.  I'm tempted to send them mail every day until they do something about it.  LOL

Interestingly enough, it took a week of continuous use while my husband was in the hospital before I caved & learned to like the iPhone (it was his).  It took twenty minutes to learn to love the Kindle.  As fabulous as my iPhone is, this will probably get even more use.

#18 ·
Replying to farmwife99:

Right, that's exactly what the excellent David Pogue said in his "Ndew York Times" review of the Kindle 2: he said that she one thing no one gets is that the Kindle doesn't "replace" anything, including e-readers on cell phones: people use everything at once.

#20 ·
Jim1010 said:
Replying to farmwife99:

Right, that's exactly what the excellent David Pogue said in his "Ndew York Times" review of the Kindle 2: he said that she one thing no one gets is that the Kindle doesn't "replace" anything, including e-readers on cell phones: people use everything at once.
Eww backlight RUINS reading. It causing glares AND headaches/eyestrain. Not everyone needs it all on what electronic device.

I have a zune for mp3s because I HATE IPods. I have a cell phone to make calls, a handbuilt computer for everything at home and a compaq laptop at work.

Sorry to be rude but I DO NOT understand the younger generation's need for everything in one device.

Ron said:
Wasn't it Steve jobs that stated that Apple would not produce an E-Reader because people do not read anymore?
Yep Jobs implied that the hip Ipod users do not read. I guess its too low of them and uncool to read.

#21 ·
Chobitz. . . don't hold back. . . tell us how you really feel :D

Seriously though. . . let's keep perspective. . . .we all have different opinions. .  I personally have no need for any sort of mp3 player. . .but lots of my very good friends do. . . o.k. for them.  They have no need for a Kindle.

I have one friend who can read books and things on his cellphone. . . .he allowed as how the kindle would be better for long reading, but he doesn't do any of that so the the phone works for him.  My phone, on the other hand, is just a phone. . .well it is technically a windows mobile device, but I pretty much use it as a phone with a pda. . .don't do any web browsing or e-mailing, though I could.  I do like that I can sync my contacts and schedule with Outlook on my main computer.

I don't think the preference is necessarily generational. . .though there may be some correlation. . . I think there's a gender correlation as well. . . I mean, most guys don't carry a purse, so maybe it's easier to just have one device for everything.  :)  Mostly I think it has to do with 'what is the most important function to me'.  If I can find a device that does that well. . .and does some other things I can use too, but don't really need, well, that's cool.  If I want my reading experience to be primo, and my listening experience to be primo, and my ability to go on line anywhere allways available. . .well, then maybe I really want 3 different devices.

I will say, I agree about backlighting. . . I wouldn't want it in the Kindle, but some don't mind that. . .and that's o.k. too. . .My comptuer screen is back lit, but there's plenty of ambient light in the room so there isn't any glare and no real eystrain. . . .I don't like it when I have to use a backlit screen in a darkened room. . . .that is really uncomfortable.  Don't like to watch TV in the dark either. :)

Ann

#22 ·
I slightly modified Jim's first line. Is that acceptable??  If not, don't read the rest of my post.

Kindle 2 is fun. Here are four reasons. There are many more!

1. I can carry many books with me.
2. No styrofoam in packaging, not that packaging matters.
3. Easy to read, a variable brightness of background would be great but really this is fine.
4. Best reason of all - I like it.

#23 ·
Hmmm

Touch screen would be a bad move..... fingerprints everywhere blocking my reading.
Possibly a stylus but even that can mare a screen with smudges.
No... I try to never touch my screen and keep it as clean as possible.

Also the keypad at the bottom raises the screen to eye level better... especially when reading in bed.

The screen looks like a paper back novel... very easy on the eyes... not dirty paper in my opinion.

I doubt Apple would put this much care into producing a product designed solely for reading at length.

Just my opinion

*Just realized I'm defending my K Klassic in a review about K2... *sigh*.
  Oh well. I think it still applies from what I've read of K2.  ;)

#24 ·
apparently Apple simply said "why make a reader when we can just make software to allow you to access Kindle matrial on our Iphone and Itouch?"  New app for the new Ipods.  You can access the kindle store and read DRM'd Amazon books on them now.  The Iphone or Itouch actually shows up in the Manage your Kindle section on the Amazon page.  Talk about riding coat-tails.

#25 ·
thejackylking said:
apparently Apple simply said "why make a reader when we can just make software to allow you to access Kindle matrial on our Iphone and Itouch?" New app for the new Ipods. You can access the kindle store and read DRM'd Amazon books on them now. The Iphone or Itouch actually shows up in the Manage your Kindle section on the Amazon page. Talk about riding coat-tails.
I would never want to read a book on something as small as an iPhone.

#26 ·
DD said:
I would never want to read a book on something as small as an iPhone.
Not the whole book at any rate.

I tried out a reader app for the iPhone before buying my Kindle, to test a) whether I would read "on the go" that much, and b) if I really even needed a Kindle if a).

I can read on the iPhone for short periods of time, but it's not fun for really settling in to a good book. I love that there's an iPhone app though, it's perfect for those "standing in line" reading opportunities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.