Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Why Kindle 2 is not an Apple product by Jim1010  (Read 17072 times)  

Offline akpak

• Anchorage, AK
    • View Profile
Re: Why Kindle 2 is not an Apple product by Jim1010
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
I would never want to read a book on something as small as an iPhone.

Not the whole book at any rate.

I tried out a reader app for the iPhone before buying my Kindle, to test a) whether I would read "on the go" that much, and b) if I really even needed a Kindle if a).

I can read on the iPhone for short periods of time, but it's not fun for really settling in to a good book. I love that there's an iPhone app though, it's perfect for those "standing in line" reading opportunities.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 05:18:27 AM »
Leslie has a good review on the 'other reviews' forum. . .I agree I wouldn't want to read a whole book, but I can see using it  to have something to do when you have just a short wait and/or your Kindle isn't with you.  And, as someone else said, the more Kindle buzz the better for all of us!

Ann

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Britt

• Japan
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 10:48:04 AM »
2. The screen savers cannot be removed. This seems to be a small point here on KindleBoard, but Apple would never let it happen. There will be people, like me, who find them generic and childish. Someone said, on another post, that they are reminiscent of the posters in Barnes and Noble. That is not praise! They are Eurocentric, clichd, unimaginative, and above all they are not mine! Apple would have made it easier, not harder, to get rid of the screensavers.

I agree that it would be nice to have a more culturally diverse selection of authors on the screensavers.

Proud owner of Professor Vivian Kindlington the Kindle 2 since 2/24/09!

"How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book!" ~ Pride and Prejudice

Currently reading: The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror ~ Christopher Moore

Goodreads + Twitter

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »
Here's another way you can tell it's not an Apple product:

I actually bought one.  I would never consider buying any more Apple products.

I prefer to look at things more on a merit basis than who manufactures it.  ;D ;D

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline nelamvr6

• New London, CT USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
I prefer to look at things more on a merit basis than who manufactures it.  ;D ;D

Mike

Me too...  Hence my comment.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

--Douglas Adams

Offline pomlover2586

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
First off I disagree with OP......I love the Kindle and I'm glad Amazon made it and not Apple.......second I'm a young reader [23] and while it's not the "thing" for my generation to do it is by far one of my favorite past times....so once again I thank Amazon
Elaina

Offline kyliedork

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 12:55:52 AM »
If apple made the kindle we would need special DRM glasses for reading the text
Kindle 2 Rocks

Offline Kind

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
First off I disagree with OP......I love the Kindle and I'm glad Amazon made it and not Apple.......second I'm a young reader [23] and while it's not the "thing" for my generation to do it is by far one of my favorite past times....so once again I thank Amazon

Totally agree with you!  ;)

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

Offline Jill75

• KnowLedge Is PoWer. Read a BooK ToDay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 01:56:35 AM »
I would never want to read a book on something as small as an iPhone.

same here as it gives strain in my eyes so much. A good reader for me has to be more than 5" -7" in creen for better readability.

KnowLedge Is PoWer. Read a BooK ToDay!

Offline kyliedork

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 08:32:45 PM »
yes, anything smaller than 9inchs doesn't really work with formating and eye movement, etc
Kindle 2 Rocks

Offline tylerdurden51

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »
how could anyone read from something as small as an apple?
Knowledge is power!

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
yes, anything smaller than 9inchs doesn't really work with formating and eye movement, etc

Size DOES matter!  :)

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline happyblob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »
nah , don't get us started

Offline kyliedork

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 12:24:45 AM »
Yes, size does matter when you are a little lacking
Kindle 2 Rocks

Offline Kind

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »
how could anyone read from something as small as an apple?

Yeah, I know. Good product but not for reading.

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

Offline Scheherazade

• Hampton, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 10:17:01 PM »

Gotta love that apple packaging.  Seriously, even though it has nothing to do with the kindle I think it's the best packaging I've seen for a product in a long time.  It stresses the eco-friendly aspects of the Kindle itself, the fall of letters is charming and indicative of the product, and the little touches on the pull tabs (Once upon a time...) and even the UPC code were a fun touch.

The grey screen?  Thank God.  I would hate to read on anything approaching a white screen.

No touch screen?  Fine with me.  I don't want fingerprints all over my Kindle screen and I don't want to deal with the extra layer that's required to make it touchable.  Not to mention the little spots that pop up and the 'grid' when it gets older.  I hate reading through screen doors.

Screensavers, sure I'd like to see it more easily customizable.  But we're a great community and it took all of 2 weeks?  1 week?  To figure out how on our own.  Personally I like the majority of the stock screensavers anyway.  Did you want flying windows or something?  Not sure what sort of screensaver pictures you'd put on a reading device if not authors.
"A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."  - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Offline kanon14

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 11:10:22 PM »
Kindle 2 is fun, but it would never have been made by Apple. Here are four reasons. There are many more!

1. The screen still isn't bright like paper. It looks dull and waxy, like multiply-recycled paper, or unbleached paper that can be found in some Indian and third-world books.

2. The screen savers cannot be removed. This seems to be a small point here on KindleBoard, but Apple would never let it happen. There will be people, like me, who find them generic and childish. Someone said, on another post, that they are reminiscent of the posters in Barnes and Noble. That is not praise! They are Eurocentric, clichd, unimaginative, and above all they are not mine! Apple would have made it easier, not harder, to get rid of the screensavers.

3. Apple would have made it easy to make the top and bottom of the screen blank. That extra information can be very annoying. Why not just show it when the user presses a button? Kindle 2 is reminiscent of Microsoft Word 2008, which also forces an extra bar on users (just above the page), which cannot be removed.

4. The design is intermittently silly. The packaging reminds me of shallow trays that are sometimes used by Chinese and Thai takeways. The spills of letters that ornament the packaging, and also the manual, look like 1970s student graphic designs.

5.  Apple would have had a touch screen, like the iPhone, instead of the keyboard, which is not needed all the time -- so why show it all the time?

I'm not sad I bought the Kindle 2, but I can clearly see it will be superseded by Apple, or Google, unless it radically improves in its next incarnation.

Wow I'm an Apple user too but I come on, Apple wouldn't make an e-reader like that. What you mentioned is a multimedia tablet, which is WORSE than the Kindle for READING.

Offline Tip10

• St Louis
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:47 AM »
And the main reason a Kindle is not an Apple -- its not overpriced by 50-100%.
To me, it appears that for most everything you end up paying a stiff premium to apply the Apple name to it -- and that premium rarely, if ever, brings with it sufficient improvements or enhancements to warrant such a premium.

I'd much rather have a Kindle hooked into Amazon for $300 than an iReader hooked into iBooks for $600.

Never Engage in a Battle of Wits With an Unarmed Person.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!