Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Creating Signatures - An updated tutorial including NEW SIGNATURE SIZE LIMITS  (Read 111010 times)  

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
  • Nothin' but a hound dog.
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Ashland Building
Hello authors!

I am stickying this post for all the new authors who arrive daily, who may not be familiar with how to create signature links of their book covers, and profile pictures (avatars). This is a work in progress, and I will be refining it as questions arise. If you are new to it all, please read all of the posts that I will be putting here prior to contacting me.

Note for new members:
you will not able to modify your signature until you make at least one post in the forums. Once you make your first post (for example, in our Introductions and Welcomes board), you can then follow the instructions below to set up your signature.

Update: we have developed a tool to make it easier to create a basic author signature. This tool provides a form that you fill out, and it generates the code to put into your forum signature. Here's the link: http://kboards.com/authorsig

Screenshot:

If you would rather prepare your signature manually, see the instructions below.

FYI: As of March 2011, we have in place new limits for the size of your signature. If you're signature goes beyond these limits, you will either be asked to reduce it, or it will be done for you. The PMs are going out on an as I come across them basis, so yes, there will be people with signatures out there bigger than yours. I'll get to everyone eventually. If it's just a minor matter of rearranging a few bits of text, I will most likely just do that in the signature without contacting anyone.

A signature, in length and height, can be no larger than the area X'd off below. It is 89 default font characters wide, and 10 default font characters high. This is the equivalent of 800 x 140 pixels, our max signature size. This is enough for book covers and two lines of plain text.  Images may be no taller than 125 pixels high.  When made through our Link-Maker, image links default to 125 pixels high).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

How do I know if mine fits in the guidelines, you ask? An easy way to check is to open two new browser windows; one with this post, the other with a post that has your signature in it. On the window with this tutorial post, grab the lower right hand corner of your browser, and reduce this window until it comes to the lower bottom/right of the X'd out area. The move this window over the one that has your signature in it, and compare the X'd out area to your signature. If your signature is taller than the X'd out area reduce your height, by shrinking pics or removing text. If your signature is wider than the X'd out area, shrink some pics, remove some pics, remove blank spaces or unnecessary text, etc.  And, again, images may be no taller than 125 pixels high, regardless.

If you are using a Mac, there is an excellent program called Pixelstick, which is $6.99, but you can try for free. You can use it to measure anything on your screen, check angles, etc. I use this app constantly to check measurements.

Note that, at 125 pixels high, this is generally room for eight or nine covers maximum, unless you have really skinny covers. ;)  Just because more fit in one row on your monitor at your browser setting does not mean that your signature meets the 800 pixel width.  Make sure you are viewing pages at 100% in your browser; on Firefox, for example, you select "View," "Zoom," "Reset."  Other browser allow you to select the percentage view.

In the event that you have difficulty after trying the instructions, please send Betsy a private message (PM). This thread will be locked to replies. When PMing her, please let her know which step on the checklist you are having difficulty with. "It doesn't work," is very hard to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
Verena

In this tutorial:

Instructions on how to add a book cover link to your signature
The same instructions as above, in an easy to use checklist format (consider printing this out)
Setting up your profile (avatar) picture
How do I create a text link?

FAQ and troubleshooting:

Can I use book cover picture that is not on Amazon?
Can I use a link that goes somewhere other than Amazon?
Why are my book covers appearing so large/small? How can I change the size?
Why have my signature picture(s) been made smaller/items been rearranged?
Why are my book covers stacked instead of side-by-side?
What is my ASIN number?
Why isn't the Link-maker 2.0 finding my book?
Why can't I fit more book covers into my signature? How do I stuff in more?
How do I put text next to my covers?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:06:19 PM by Harvey »
   my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Creating your Signature
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
To change your Signature, click Profile near the top/center of any KindleBoards page. On the left side of the window you will see a series of options, click Forum Profile Information. Scrolling down, you will see a field labeled Signature. This is where the code that is created by the following instructions will go. You can also add any text you like as well. (Please note that there is a character limit of 1,000 for this field, and the code takes up a lot of characters.)

At the top of KindleBoards page, there is a link to the Link-maker 2.0 (3rd option from the left). Click on that, and you can easily make a link of any Amazon product page.

Make sure the drop-down menu option is set to Kindle Store and enter in the field your ASIN number (looks similar to this - B001QWDRF6 - and can be found in the URL or under the product details of the Amazon ebook product page) or book title.  (You may also enter your name.)

Then click the Search button, and your book should appear. You will then need to click the Make A Link link (appears below the list price).

You will see many options appear to the right. The necessary code will appear in the TO MAKE AN IMAGE LINK field. Click the select link to the right of that field to highlight all of the text, and copy it (Ctrl+c on a PC, Command +c on a Mac). Then you can paste (Ctrl+v on a PC, Command +v on a Mac) that into your post/signature and you are done. (If you are doing your signature, you must click the Change Profile button to save your changes).  The image link in this field is formatted automatically to be 125 pixels high, the maximum allowed in our signatures.  We recommend you use this one for your signatures.

If you add multiple books, do not add a carriage return (the button on your keyboard you press to make a new paragraph) between each set of code. Otherwise you will end up with your images stacked instead of in a row.

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask by posting in the Writer's Cafe!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:03:05 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Checklist
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
If you have having trouble getting your signature link to work properly, you are probably overlooking one or more steps above. Here is a quick checklist of the steps above. Print it out (copy and paste into a text editor), and check off each step as you complete it.

1) Open your Profile help me find it

2) Click Forum Profile Information help me find it

3) Locate the Signature field at the bottom of the page help me find it

4) Open the Link-maker 2.0  what it looks like

5) Change the drop-down box to Kindle Store. help me find it

6) Enter your ASIN or Book Title into the search field. help me find it

7) Click the Search button. help me find it

8 ) Click the Make a link link. help me find it Several options will now appear to the right.

9) Click the Select Link to the right the Image Link field help me find it

10) Copy the data from step 9 Huh?

11) Return to the Signature field on your Profile I've already forgotten what this looks like

12) Paste the data from step 9 (which you copied in step 10) what it looks like

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QWDRF6?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LDnLGVX7L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-15,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[/img][/url]

TIP: Your code will appear similar to the the code above.

13) Click the Change Profile button to save your changes. help me find it
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:13:44 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:41:10 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Forum Profile Information
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:41:22 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Signature Field
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:41:34 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Link-maker 2.0
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:37:51 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:38:09 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Enter ASIN or Book Title in Search Field
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:38:31 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:38:51 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:39:11 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Selecting the code
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »

After you click select, the entire code should be selected (if the code is not highlighted in blue, click select again).

return to the create a picture link checklist
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:41:54 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Copy the code you just selected
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
You must now copy the code that you just selected. Use Ctrl+c (⌘ + c if you are using a Mac) on your computer's keyboard.

return to the create a text link checklist
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:40:26 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Paste the code in your Signature field in your Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »

You must now paste the entire Image link code that you just copied into your profile Signature field. Use Ctrl+v (⌘ + v if you are using a Mac) on your keyboard. The example above shows the field as it will appear after you have posted the code.

If you paste and nothing appears, you did not successfully copy the code from the link-maker page, and need to repeat the previous two steps.

return to the create a text link checklist
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:39:59 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Click the Change Profile button
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:40:52 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Creating an Avatar
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
In order to view this post properly, please make your browser window as  w i d e  as you can.

Your profile picture (or avatar) will appear to the left of every post you make.

You have a few options to add a profile picture. The two most popular are to either upload a picture to the KindleBoards server from your computer, or to link to a picture that is already located somewhere on the internet.

How to set up:

1) Go to your profile.
2) Click Forum Profile Information
3) Now you will need to choose if you are going to use a picture already posted on the internet, or upload a picture from your computer

In the picture to the right, you can see that I have uploaded my own picture.
3a) Linking to a picture located on the internet

You need to have the URL of the picture you wish to use. This can be a picture located pretty much anywhere on the internet. If you have a picture of yourself, or one of your books on your own website, you can link to one of those. Just enter the picture URL in the link field circled in red in the image to the right.
3b) Uploading a picture from your computer

If you are wish to use a picture that you have stored on your computer, please adjust it prior to upload, so that it is:

-- at 100 pixels x 100 pixels or smaller
-- less than 50 kilobytes in size

If your picture is too large, you may have difficulty uploading it.

Once you have your picture adjusted, you can upload it by clicking the Choose File button circled in red to the right.

A dialog box will appear, and you will need to browse on your hard drive to the picture. Once you have the picture chosen, click the Choose button in the dialog box.

Once you have that done, your picture should appear. However - and this is often the case when you change an existing avatar - it will take more than one try (sometimes three or more) to get the picture to update. In the event your picture is too large, it may never upload at all. If you have difficulties, please contact Harvey or Leslie for assistance.
4) Click the Change Profile button to save your updates.

TIP:
If you have updated an avatar, and do not see the change on your posts, you either must refresh your browser window, or empty your browser's cache.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:27:25 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »

Absolutely.

Here is the code for a book (not your book):

[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWDRF6/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url]

The above code results in this book cover and link:

Here's a link to a creepy picture I found on flickr:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3405449492_dd4337c7c7_m.jpg

Here is the creepy picture:

In the link below, I have replaced the URL of the pic on Amazon, with the URL of the flickr picture (in blue)

[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWDRF6/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3405449492_dd4337c7c7_m.jpg[/img][/url]

Which results in the flickr picture linking to the Amazon product page for the book:

Please note that the portion of the above code in RED is there to limit the height of the picture to 125 pixels. Your picture should not be taller than 125 pixels, and if it is it will be changed. Thanks for understanding.

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »

Absolutely.

Here is the code for a book link to Amazon (nope, not your book):

[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWDRF6/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url]

The portion in GREEN above is the URL that the link will go to. The portion in BLUE is the image that is used for the link.

Thus, you click on this book pic:

and it takes you to the Amazon page for that book.

Now, I have changed the URL in the code below to link to the author's website instead, while keeping the image from Amazon:

[url=http://www.chriscleave.com/][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url]

Which results in this link (go ahead, click it):

So, a simple URL update in the existing code will change the page a user will get when they click your link. Link to your personal website, your blog, whatever you like.

TIP
All those brackets and equal signs and other things in the code are there for a reason. If you remove a character, add a space, or add something else where it ought not be, your link is not going to work properly. You can either troubleshoot the link, or start from scratch. If you are unfamiliar with how bbcode works, I suggest starting from scratch.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:16:41 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Why are my book covers appearing so large/small? How can I change the size?
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »
Your cover images will be the same size they are at the source you are using.

Here is an image that is too large for a signature:

This is what that code looks like:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-19,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[/img]

Here is the same code, with an image size limit added (in RED):

[img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-19,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[/img]

... resulting in the perfect size image:

So, if your image is too large, just manually add the height limitation to your code. If you want it smaller, change the 125 to something else, say 100 or 80. This is what the same cover looks like at 80 pixels:

TIP
Be certain to add the space between img and height, or the code will not work.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:36:29 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Why have my signature picture(s) been made smaller/items been rearranged?
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
Members view our forum from a variety of screens, some as small as their cell phones. In order to keep signatures from taking up a tremendous amount of screen real-estate, we have decided that any picture (or book cover) that is in a signature will be no larger than 125 pixels in height.

Thus, if we see a signature that we have determined does not fit our Forum Decorum, we will adjust it accordingly. That includes shrinking pictures that are more than 125 pixels in height, removing extra paragraph returns, moving large blocks of text to the right/left of your pictures, etc. If you don't like the way it appears, please adjust accordingly, staying within the guidelines of our Forum Decorum.

Remember, you signature must fit into the following X'd off area. It is 89 default font characters wide, and 10 default font characters high. That's about 800 x 140 pixels. This is enough for book covers (which, when made through our Link-Maker, are 125 pixels high) plus two lines of plain text.

If your images are smaller than 125 pixels in height, you may have more than two lines of text, as long as you don't exceed the overall signature height limit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:16:24 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Why are my book covers stacked instead of side-by-side?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »
<-- Does this mark look familiar? It's a paragraph mark. It's used in word processing as a hidden character, and when the hidden characters are on display, it shows where you've placed all of your carriage returns (old typewriter word; it's the key on your keyboard labeled return, above the right-hand shift key).

Sadly, when using bbcode, you don't get to see your carriage returns. It just pushes your code to the next line. Which is why it confuses people. If your images are stacked instead of side-by-side, you've absolutely added one (or more) carriage returns in your code.

Here's two sets of book code.... I have made one GREEN and the other BLUE so you can see where they separate:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032UXNRC/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51o0seUCApL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWDRF6/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url]

Note that there is nothing, no space, no return, no anything, between the GREEN code and the BLUE code. It looks like this, with no space between the covers:

Some people like that look, I personally like a space between the covers, like so (note the single space between the GREEN and BLUE sets of code:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032UXNRC/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51o0seUCApL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWDRF6/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url]

(it may look like the two codes are on two different lines depending on how wide your browser window is, so you may wish to narrow your window.)

Resulting in a space between the two covers:

While this code may appear to be exactly the same as the code above, it's not. The "space" between the GREEN and BLUE code is now a carriage return, forcing the BLUE code down to the next line.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032UXNRC/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51o0seUCApL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url]

Resulting in this:

So, if your pics are stacked, just remove the carriage return (use the backspace or delete key) between your sets of code, and remember to click the Change Profile button to save your update.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:51:32 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
How do I create a text link?
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »
Creating a text link is almost the exact same process as creating a picture link.

1) Open the Link-maker 2.0  what it looks like

2) Change the drop-down box to Kindle Store. help me find it

3) Enter your ASIN or Book Title into the search field. help me find it

4) Click the Search button. help me find it

5) Click the Make a link link. help me find it Several options will now appear to the right.

6) Click the Select Link to the right of the TO MAKE A TEXT LINK field help me find it

7) Copy the data from step 6 Huh?

8 ) Paste the data from step 7 (which you copied in step 6) into your signature or post. what it looks like

TIP
Your code will appear similar to the the code below.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWDRF6/?tag=kbpst-20]Little Bee[/url]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:54:55 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Selecting the code for a text link
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:46 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:39:37 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
Why is my book cover not appearing?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »
This post is not yet finished.

This is not going to be a problem if you are using the Link-maker 2.0, but if you need to use the Link-Maker 1.0, or create a link manually, you might find that your image is not appearing. Perhaps you are seeing a blue square with a question mark in it, similar to this:

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
What is my ASIN number?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
An ASIN number is the number that Amazon creates to identify your product (similar to a UPC or ISBN). You can locate your ASIN number either in the address bar of your browser, or under the Product Details of your book.

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »

There are two possibilities:

1. You just published your book to Amazon. It may take a day or two for the database that the Link-maker 2.0 is gathering data from to update.

2. You are not changing the drop-down to Kindle Store prior to searching.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:57:49 PM by pidgeon92 »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »

Again, please remember that no matter how many books you have, you must not exceed our signature size limit:

It is 89 default font characters wide, and 10 default font characters high. That's about 800 x 140 pixels. This is enough for book covers (which, when made through our Link-Maker, are 125 pixels high) plus two lines of plain text. Keep your signature to that size or smaller; otherwise it may be changed or removed.  The maximum size for images is 125 pixels high, regardless.

The signature field of the profile page for this forum is limited to 1,000 characters. A basic Link-maker 2.0 created signature has 151 characters. Add a space behind it, now there are 152 used. Add some text and use code to format that, a whole lot more characters are used up.

If you add nothing but book covers to your signature, using the Link-maker 2.0, you can get six (6) covers in your signature.

The 1,000 character limit is fixed, but there are a few different ways you can get more covers in. Two are described below.

1. Combine several book covers into one image (using whatever image editing software you choose). You can post this new image as described in this post, and you can link it to an external websites, such as your Amazon author page, or your own personal website, as described in this post.

2. You can use a URL shortening service, such as bit.ly, to shorten the URLs for both the image and the URL to your product page.

For example, here is a sample of code:

The URL of the product page is in BLUE, the URL of the book cover is in GREEN.

2a) Copy the URL of your product page and paste into the field on the bit.ly website, then click the shorten button, as in the example below.

Which will result in the following:

2b) Copy the result, as in the example above, and paste in place of the BLUE text of your original code:

[url=http://amzn.to/gVxpYU][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url]

2c) Repeat steps a & c above, using the image URL in GREEN.

[url=http://amzn.to/gVxpYU][img height=125]http://bit.ly/fYvadb[/img][/url]

Using the URL shortener in this example, the number of characters used has dropped from 151 to 75, allowing 13 covers to be displayed in the signature.

TIPS

If you want to get more covers into your signature, make your covers smaller. I've seen quite a few very tiny covers, and they actually look pretty good. You can vary the height on yours by changing the img height tag. For example, instead of the standard img height=125, try img height=100, or img height=80, etc.

Another thing you can do is get all of your images into a single picture (using whatever image software you like [Photoshop, etc.]), then link that single image to your Amazon author's page, or your own website. Get creative!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:13:51 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • View Profile
How do I put text next to a cover?
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
How do I put text next to a cover? (Using Tables in Your Signature)

TIP
The best, easiest was to do this is to create the code in a post, not directly in the signature field. This allows the use of the table and other format buttons which will keep you from having to type the code manually. Of course, you do not want to save or actually post your post, it is only for creating the code.  Creating your signature in a post also helps you see your whole sig as you work.  Use the "preview" button to check what the signature will look like.

Putting text next to a cover, such as in the example below, requires the use of code that creates a table. This is similar to the rows/columns you see in a spreadsheet. In this example, we are only going to use two columns, not rows.  In general, you will use only one row in your signature.

Little Bee
This book has been on my to-be-read list for a long time.
I'll get to it when I'm done writing tutorials.
 ;D

Here is what the code looks like, with color coding to match the additional comments at the bottom of this post.:

[table][td][url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWDRF6/?tag=kbpst-20][img height=125]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihUUQCuCL._SL160_.jpg[/img][/url][/td][td][b]Little Bee[/b]
[i]This book has been on my to-be-read list for a long time.
I'll get to it when I'm done writing tutorials.
 ;D[/i][/td][/table]

Get the code to create a table by pressing this button above the posting field.
This will put the tags [table][/table] into your posting field.  The [table] goes at the beginning and the [/table] goes at the end.  If you want text below or above the table, put it before the [table] or after the [/table] (or both).  Note that you are limited to two total lines of text below or above the cover images.

Get the code to create a column by clicking the button above the posting field.
This will insert the tags [td][/td]  In the example, two columns are created, so you will need two sets of these tags.  The book cover(s) are between the first set of [td][/td] tags and the text to appear next to the images is in the second set of [td][/td] tags.

Here's a color coded generic table that some have said was useful to them, along with additional comments about tables:

To get the text next to the cover images, you have to designate a table.  You put the start table tag [table] at the beginning of the table, and the end table tag [/table] at the very end.  You can see those in blue in the above code.  (Note that you will only want one table in your signature.  Using a second set of table tags will force the second table onto a new row, which you do not want.)

Next you'll see the "table row" tags [tr] and [/tr].  You don't really need to put these in, the system software will put them in for you--your whole signature will generally be a row.

Here's the most important part--the table cells or columns.  Each column has to begin with [td] and end with [/td]  You can see below, the cover links are between a set of the td tags.

The key thing is to have all the text in their own cell, starting with a [td] and ending with [/td].  The table below would have two covers, side by side on the left, and three text comments, stacked to the right.

[table][tr][td]Cover Link 1  Cover Link 2 [/td] [td] Comment 1
Comment 2
Comment 3

[/td][/tr][/table]

So, to use the example from the beginning of this post, it would look like this (below) with two covers.  I've repeated the same cover twice; obviously you would normally have two different covers.  The code for those cover links would go in the first table cell, shown as Cover Link 1 and Cover Link 2 in my color coded example above.  If you want to add a third cover, it would go where the orange is in the generic example above, after and on the same line as the last /url] of the second cover.

Little Bee (Comment 1)
This book has been on my to-be-read list for a long time. (Comment 2)
I'll get to it when I'm done writing tutorials. (Comment 3)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:06:40 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac