Author Topic: I now love my K1 more than ever!  (Read 22796 times)  

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
Re: I now love my K1 more than ever!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »
Great post! Very informative, and the kind of thing I like to read before buying. Had an old Rocket Reader and loved it to madness, but it's dead now. Am so hoping that this Kindle thing really catches fire and takes off. Besides the convenience and economy, well, the trees are our friends.

So does it only power itself by battery? Can it not draw power from the wall? Sorry, to ask dumb question, but I'm just learning about this device.

Is it heavy? The Rocket had an oomph to it, like a smallish hardcover book. That was kind of nice, actually.

thanks for your post--
JW

You can use the Kindle plugged in if you want to while it is charging, but after that, there is no need. The charge will last several days, and you can recharge it overnight when necessary. Without a cover, the Kindle ways a little over 10 ounces. Most covers about double the total. There are hundreds of thousands of books available to read on the Kindle, with more being added all the time.
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Cowgirl

• Gilbert, AZ
  • Member #291
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 12:23:40 PM »
Yah..I feel the pull every now and then to get the k2...expecially after hearing everybody's excitement when they received theirs.  But I really really love my k1 so much so that I'm considering getting another k1 to have as a back up while the prices are falling. 

Offline KindleKay (aka #1652)

• AR
  • http://www.KindleKay.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • The World Through My Eyes.... Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
I helped get myself over the hump of the K2 stories by purchasing a new skin for my K1 and iPhone and then I bought a used mEdge and light from the boards.  I don't want to spend so much money for a sleek new look, which is all about K2 that I am impressed with.

But I again go on record that if K2 gets a really cool upgrade that K1 does not, I will be the first to line up to get it.  And that may happen yet with the new knowledge that K2's search will also search notes in books within a very short timeframe.  People just figured out that they can place notes on the title page or wherever with "tags" in it.  Then, when they do a search for the tag it will bring up all the boks with that tag.  A form of Kindle organization.  This does not work for K1.....But that is not enough to make me upgrade, yet.

eBay Kindle 1 Auction Won 1.29.09
Shipped from seller 1.30.09
K1 Delivered  2.2.09
K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
K1 Sold 7.13.09
K2 Delivered 7.14.09
The Best Kindle 1 Watch Story EVER- MINE!
My Goodreads account, be my friend!

Offline LisaB12303

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 08:21:04 AM »
If I didn't already have a K1, I might be interested in the K2, but I can honestly say that there is nothing in the new addition that makes me want to part ways with Isabella.  Besides, do you know how many eBooks I can buy for the extra $349.00????   :D

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »
A form of Kindle organization.  This does not work for K1.....But that is not enough to make me upgrade, yet.
On another thread, it was said that it will work on the KK. You can't do a search imediately after doing the tagging, due to the slower indexing, but after the indexing is complete it is supossed to work. I have only started on the books on my Kindle1, but so far it seems to work.
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the

• AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »
FYI: I tagged all my books on my k1 yesterday morning via a note on the title page.  I used tags like: qromance; qunread; qscifi;qread, etc.  The search did not begin working until approx 10pm that evening.  Now, 24 hours after adding the tags, a search WILL pull up my tagged notes!  So, YES, tagging via notes on K1 DOES work after 12-24 hours!

Ps: I have 5 pages of books in my K1, FYI

K1 Delivered  2.2.09
K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
K1 Sold 7.13.09
K2 Delivered 7.14.09

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 11:51:54 AM »
Great tip about the tagging!  Thanks!

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline SusieQ

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 10:59:26 PM »
I'm not sure what category this belongs in, but...I leave that to our very wise mods!  :)
First, I agree totally with the OP. When I was able to buy a Kindle, K2's were about to be released. I read, I researched,...which did I want??? I chose KK...for 1- battery replacement and 2- SD card. I got a terrific deal here on these boards, and am thrilled with Hobs. If K3 or 4 puts these features back, then I'll look to buy a new one but right now, I couldn't be happier!
Second, please elaborate on how you all are "tag"ging on your KKs. A step by step would be helpful. I've only had mine about a month and between the reading, the message boards, the book-buying and oh yes, THE ACCESSORIZING (lol) I haven't tried too much of the techy stuff!
And lastly, theoretically, altho I would bet its been tried...since I read that you create a folder on the computer for custom screensavers and move it to Kindle, couldn't you also create folders for mysteries, romance, horror etc. on your pc, move books into them and than send it to the Kindle via USB? Just wondering and thank you for all the terrific tips you guys provide, not to mention the enabling you do!!

Susie

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
  • Nothin' but a hound dog.
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Ashland Building
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »

Second, please elaborate on how you all are "tag"ging on your KKs. A step by step would be helpful.

Have a look at this thread, works for KK as well:

Does Everyone Know: K2 Searches Your Notes, & Notes Can Be Tags?
   my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

• AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
In addition to Pidgeons link to the K2 tagging notes, you need to allow 24 hours for K1 to "index" your notes.  If you attempt to do a search for your tag words on K1 less than 24 hours after inputting them, the search will not work.  Try doing the search after 24 hours and BINGO!!  You have a great search!!!

PS: I also make up words as tags so that the search won't pull up words that may be already in a book.  For example, rather than use "romance" as a tag, I use the word "qromance".  I also use "qvampire", "qunread", etc

K1 Delivered  2.2.09
K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
K1 Sold 7.13.09
K2 Delivered 7.14.09

Offline pawsplus

• Tennessee
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »
I'm new here. :)  I just got a USED K1 ($150!!!! What a deal!) and I'm beyond thrilled with it.  I've been THINKING about getting a Kindle since Nov. 07--I always take my time, LOL.  Anyway, my decision to get a K1 instead of K2 was based on some of the same things you mention.
3.  When the battery "buys the farm" I can go out and buy another for ~$20
Can you not do this w/ the K2?? I didn't even know that!  What happens when the K2 battery dies? The whole thing is dead forever??
4.  For reading, it does everything it's supposed to do and does it well.  Period.
Yeah, this is the main thing for me.  The whole "it will read to me" thing doesn't do much for me.  I just want to read books, LOL!

I couldn't be happier with Kate Kindle and already love her very much!  And I ordered a snazzy bobarra Austen cover (with frogs) for her! :)

Elizabeth and Karla Kindle (Touch w/ 3G)

Offline Cowgirl

• Gilbert, AZ
  • Member #291
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
Wow $150...you got a deal!!!   I love my K1 and unless k3 also scrubs floors I'll keep it till it dies....

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:45 AM »
I'm new here. :)  I just got a USED K1 ($150!!!! What a deal!) and I'm beyond thrilled with it.  I've been THINKING about getting a Kindle since Nov. 07--I always take my time, LOL.  Anyway, my decision to get a K1 instead of K2 was based on some of the same things you mention. Can you not do this w/ the K2?? I didn't even know that!  What happens when the K2 battery dies? The whole thing is dead forever??Yeah, this is the main thing for me.  The whole "it will read to me" thing doesn't do much for me.  I just want to read books, LOL!

I couldn't be happier with Kate Kindle and already love her very much!  And I ordered a snazzy bobarra Austen cover (with frogs) for her! :)

With the K2, for a new battery you are supposed to send it back to Amazon for replacement.

Offline pawsplus

• Tennessee
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 10:50:21 AM »
Wow $150...you got a deal!!! 

Yeah, I was pretty darn excited! ;D
Elizabeth and Karla Kindle (Touch w/ 3G)

Offline pasvorto

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
I got mine for $185 and thought I would get arrested for stealing... :P

Offline skanter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »
I'm new here. :)  I just got a USED K1 ($150!!!! What a deal!) and I'm beyond thrilled with it.  I've been THINKING about getting a Kindle since Nov. 07--I always take my time, LOL.  Anyway, my decision to get a K1 instead of K2 was based on some of the same things you mention. Can you not do this w/ the K2?? I didn't even know that!  What happens when the K2 battery dies? The whole thing is dead forever??Yeah, this is the main thing for me.  The whole "it will read to me" thing doesn't do much for me.  I just want to read books, LOL!

It's hard to understand why Amazon dropped so many important features in K2 while adding new ones. No replaceable battery, SD card, loss of many other features. Is it true you cannot "jump ahead and jump back"  (ALT next/prev page) with K2? I find this feature to be crucial when you have a book with chapter formatting not working.

Offline kyliedork

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »
the no replacement battery is a scam. henry ford said once, that he was in the buisness of selling car parts, not cars
Kindle 2 Rocks

Offline Kind

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »
the no replacement battery is a scam. henry ford said once, that he was in the buisness of selling car parts, not cars

I think all American Car makers moto is such. That explains the quality of the cars.  ;D

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

Offline kyliedork

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
the words "quality" & "america" left the building with elvis years ago
Kindle 2 Rocks

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
Great thread. I love my k1 too, especially after reading all the returns being made. The biggest reasons for me are SD card and the ability to replace the battery. All the problems with returns on the K2 have concerned me also. I still want the dx for the larger size and native .pdf, but you guys have me thinking maybe I should get another k1 for my daughter since the prices have dropped so much.

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 12:22:04 PM »
I believe the Klassic KIndle will be around for some time, it does everything an ereader has to do and then some.

• AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
Personally, I have enabled 2 others to purchase K1's.  I did tell them the pros and cons to the K2 to be fair to them but they liked the idea of the SD card, replaceable battery and the lower cost of the K1.

Yea us!  Our Kindles (1) are cool!!!

K1 Delivered  2.2.09
K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
K1 Sold 7.13.09
K2 Delivered 7.14.09

Offline MonaSW

• Hayward, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »
For anyone looking for one, Amazon has a refurbished one available!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
Great thread. I love my k1 too, especially after reading all the returns being made. The biggest reasons for me are SD card and the ability to replace the battery. All the problems with returns on the K2 have concerned me also.

Here, Here. Those same issues convinced me to look for a used KK once I decided to take the plunge. I got my KK from ebay from a person whom I later learned is a member of this board. I got it in the middle of March and at $240 (shipping included) I thought I had a great deal. (Those under $200 prices mentioned here are awesome).

I don't have any interest in the DX (but I could see my elderly in-laws or my college-kids taking a look at it). On another point, it irritates me that Amazon is claiming 'DX available now'. It's not - it's only available for pre-order for crying out loud.

I'll stay right with my KK for now and until it passes on forever.
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 11:09:44 PM »
Looks like I am a Klassic Kindle user till mine goes to Kindle heaven, unless I can get another for backup in the mean time.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac