Kindle Forum banner

I now love my K1 more than ever!

30K views 67 replies 42 participants last post by  drenee 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share how I have come full circle (back to the K1) after several agonizing weeks of trying to decide whether or not to switch to K2. After careful consideration, photo inspections and reading tons of posts... I absolutely LOVE my K1 (Estelle) and will be keeping her until one of us expires. This is not a financial decision.

Like many people, I was initially allured by K2's sleek, slim, "sexy" design. I love gadgets and the cooler, the better. No doubt about it, K2 is very pretty! K1 is more utilitarian looking.. it's kind of like the Honda Element. Not so pretty to look at, but very practical and useful. I personally even dislike the asymmetrical design. However, these are things that I love about my K1 and that have ultimately won me over for good.

1. The screen contrast and background color are brighter/better for READING. I have inspected many side-by-sides (many of them here) and K2 background is clearly a shade or 2 of gray darker. This would have been the thing I made this decision on. I was hoping and thinking that K2 would be even BRIGHTER than K1 and I would have switched in a heartbeat... it is not, it's darker.

2. Although I could have lived w/o it and it's almost a non-issue for me, the SD card slot makes my life easier as I keep mp3's of music on there and photos.

3. When the battery "buys the farm" I can go out and buy another for ~$20

4. For reading, it does everything it's supposed to do and does it well. Period.

5. I can customize my own screensavers as seen in this thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,4591.0.html

There are a few things where K2 has an advantage over K1. IMO, they are:

1. I just looks nicer. It's sooooo pretty and cool looking!

2. Text to speech - I would never and I mean NEVER use this option but that's just me. Now it's not guaranteed for every book and authors will decide the fate of this feature on a case by case basis. But I get this is an awesome feature for some (if not most) people. I especially feel good about something that enhances the quality of life for those with disabilities and for that, this feature is truly awesome.

3. The pictures display FAR better with the 16 shades of gray - I personally only use Kindle to read books and books only so this is a non-issue for me.

4. Faster page turns - I haven't noticed that K1 was "slow" by any means. It's just fine, in fact.

Sooo.... I finally got clear that my attraction to K2 was simply based on looks and looks only. K2 is like the pretty girl in HS who everybody wants to be with but then there's also this homely girl that has a great personality.

This is not to offend anyone who chose and/or ordered K2. This is simply MY OPINION. Newcomers who never had K1 will never know the difference and LOVE their K2's!!! Those that chose to upgrade to K2 for your own reasons, I wish you nothing but happiness with it. It's a wonderful thing!!! :)

See less See more
#53 ·
I love Tyrella, my K1, and will enjoy her until she just kicks the bucket big time.  Then I will give her a proper burial and see what is to be offered from Amazon at that time.  And I will miss her, but until that time, we are loving books together!!!!!!    ;D

#56 ·
I've been so busy at work and on my other forum that I am only just now starting to catch up with threads here and after reading your post Christine I had to tell  you that I thought it was a great, honest, review and made me even happier that I did not upgrade to the K2 so thanks :)

#60 ·
raccemup said:
I just wanted to share how I have come full circle (back to the K1) after several agonizing weeks of trying to decide whether or not to switch to K2. After careful consideration, photo inspections and reading tons of posts... I absolutely LOVE my K1 (Estelle) and will be keeping her until one of us expires. This is not a financial decision.

Like many people, I was initially allured by K2's sleek, slim, "sexy" design. I love gadgets and the cooler, the better. No doubt about it, K2 is very pretty! K1 is more utilitarian looking.. it's kind of like the Honda Element. Not so pretty to look at, but very practical and useful. I personally even dislike the asymmetrical design. However, these are things that I love about my K1 and that have ultimately won me over for good.

1. The screen contrast and background color are brighter/better for READING. I have inspected many side-by-sides (many of them here) and K2 background is clearly a shade or 2 of gray darker. This would have been the thing I made this decision on. I was hoping and thinking that K2 would be even BRIGHTER than K1 and I would have switched in a heartbeat... it is not, it's darker.

2. Although I could have lived w/o it and it's almost a non-issue for me, the SD card slot makes my life easier as I keep mp3's of music on there and photos.

3. When the battery "buys the farm" I can go out and buy another for ~$20

4. For reading, it does everything it's supposed to do and does it well. Period.

5. I can customize my own screensavers as seen in this thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,4591.0.html

There are a few things where K2 has an advantage over K1. IMO, they are:

1. I just looks nicer. It's sooooo pretty and cool looking!

2. Text to speech - I would never and I mean NEVER use this option but that's just me. Now it's not guaranteed for every book and authors will decide the fate of this feature on a case by case basis. But I get this is an awesome feature for some (if not most) people. I especially feel good about something that enhances the quality of life for those with disabilities and for that, this feature is truly awesome.

3. The pictures display FAR better with the 16 shades of gray - I personally only use Kindle to read books and books only so this is a non-issue for me.

4. Faster page turns - I haven't noticed that K1 was "slow" by any means. It's just fine, in fact.

Sooo.... I finally got clear that my attraction to K2 was simply based on looks and looks only. K2 is like the pretty girl in HS who everybody wants to be with but then there's also this homely girl that has a great personality.

This is not to offend anyone who chose and/or ordered K2. This is simply MY OPINION. Newcomers who never had K1 will never know the difference and LOVE their K2's!!! Those that chose to upgrade to K2 for your own reasons, I wish you nothing but happiness with it. It's a wonderful thing!!!
i love her name! lol!
i never got a k1, only the k2, but i was thinking of buying a k1 for my niece.
i think i will now! i was'nt sure if it would feel like i was being cheap, but to me it seems like she would just love it as much as i love mine!

#61 ·
Just got my K1 in the mail 2 days ago. I got it for $149 shipped from Amazon - it was listed as a refurbished model, but it came in factory sealed packaging with everything in its place and looking brand new. By looking at the packaging and everything, there would have been no way I could tell it was refurbished.

I read quite a bit, but I always thought these were a novelty; but when I saw the $150 price tag, it was enough of a deal for me to make the jump. Now that I have it, I can't believe I've gone this long without one! The screen is amazing, the functionality is amazing, my wife loves that I don't leave piles and clutter of books laying everywhere throughout the house...

For me, it's as much about the reading management as it is about the reading, if that makes sense. I'm the type who usually has 2 or 3 books going at a time - now with the Kindle, I can have all of the books with me, and I never have to waste time finding my spot again 9I was never much for bookmarks, and would always rely on remembering - for the most part - where I left off...

I just bought a case and light from a really nice member here (thanks Lizbeth) so, once those items come, I'll feel like my purchase is complete - well, except for buying books, of course - because the case that came with it makes me nervous that the Kindle is going to fall out. But that's really my only complaint. Otherwise, I'm definitely a Kindle convert through and through, and the deals to be found on the K1 seems like it's that much more worth it than the K2 at this point, in my own opinion.

#63 ·
I have a K1 (classic) and I also have a K2 and the KDX. I have not use my K1 in a while. After reading this thread I decided to charge it and update it with the books I have bought since I used  it. I have been reading on it this morning. It was nice to read on it again. I had forgotten how much I loved it. I still love my other Kindle K2 and KDX. I am going to start using my K1 again. I will switch off between the K1 and K2 when I ride the subway to work. I will also use the K1 when I go to get my haircut or take a bath.

#65 ·
James, Welcome to the Boards.  I'm glad your happy with your K1.  It is frustrating to have the K1 and know there will be no new cases introduced.  I am wondering which existing options have issues for you.  I had really great covers for my K1, and in fact, I miss my cover more than I miss my K1.  But my daughter is loving it, so I can at least visit. 
Again, welcome to the Boards.  I hope you take tiem to introduce yourself in the introductions and welcome thread.
deb

#67 ·
drenee said:
I am wondering which existing options have issues for you.
I currently use the M-Edge which is fantastic on one of my Kindles. The newer one is entirely too small in the upper left which has the result of constantly pressing the previous page button while pulling away from the back. Most other options are either way too expensive (more than half the cost of the Kindle itself???) or suffer from the same flaws as the Amazon cover.

James

#68 ·
Now that you mention it, I do remember the straps on the covers that I had pushed the buttons. 
I solved the problem by taking the strap off of the K.  It still felt secure and the problem no
longer existed. 
deb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.