Kindle Forum banner

The Quasi-Official February Book Reading Game

43K views 243 replies 29 participants last post by  fadedrainbows 
#1 ·
Happy February and it's a cold, snowy and/or wet one for many of us. But, while the weather outside is frightful, the glow from my laptop is so delightful, so since I'm not going to work, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow .... (OK, I'm done) .... it's time to announce our selections for this month, so let the games begin!

As a reminder, here is the list of selectors and selectees:

Selector
[td]Selectee[/td][td]Genres[/td][td]Dealbreakers[/td]
[tr][td]Annalog[/td][td]Tuttle[/td][td]Fantasy, Science Fiction[/td][td]I'm going to have to set some sort of monetary
limit. This may be edited but for now lets say
$5. Nothing extremely depressing.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Basilius[/td][td]hsuthard[/td][td]Urban fantasy, female sleuths, bestsellers
and mysteries. Here is my
Goodreads[/td][td]overly long books.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bunny Hugger[/td][td]MissStar[/td][td]Paranormal Romance and Suspense (i.e.
Dean Koontz)[/td][td]I'm going with none this time�[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]dpinmd[/td][td]Bunny Hugger[/td][td]Murder Mystery, Thrillers, Horror, Chick-
Lit
Winter's Goodreads List
[/td][td]Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Any book over $9.99[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]drenfrow[/td][td]dpinmd[/td][td]paranormal (with/without romance);
contemporary fiction (i.e. the latest thing
circulating around book clubs)[/td][td]No Deal Breakers. [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Emily King[/td][td]JennaAnderson[/td][td]lI'd like to challenge my seeker to find a
couple short stories or novellas for me. I've
noticed more and more becoming available for
the Kindle. AND no cheating by picking one
of the Kindle Singles. New, old, funny,
serious, children's, literary - whatever. [/td][td]non fiction, poetry, or deep, complicated stuff. [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]fadedrainbows[/td][td]Solace[/td][td]Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense[/td][td]No Deal Breakers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Geemont[/td][td]Annalog[/td][td]Science Fiction; Mystery; Fantasy, I have an
account on Goodreads[/td][td]No Deal Breakers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Geoffrey[/td][td]MoyJoy[/td][td]My goodreads
For me price is not a deal breaker so my
selector can do more than 9.99 if they're
passionate about it. [/td][td]historical/non-fiction; TALKING ANIMALS! [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]hsuthard[/td][td]kkay5[/td][td]I like all kinds of genres.
Here is my Goodreads[/td][td]nonfiction and graphic sex/violence/language[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]imallbs[/td][td]fadedrainbows[/td][td]Paranormal Romance, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Chick Lit
My Goodreads[/td][td]I am a college student, so less than 1000 pages
would be lovely! And if it stays under the $10
limit, that would be amazing.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]izzy[/td][td]Marguerite[/td][td]fantasy e.g.. Robin Hobb, chick lit, best
sellers[/td][td]books over $9.99, war i.e. strategy and
weaponry detailed descriptions in a lot of the
book , political or religious persuasion books,
erotica, autobiographies of movie or pop stars.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Jared[/td][td]izzy[/td][td]Young adult, romance, paranormal
you can see my goodreads
here.[/td][td]just keep in mind my husband is deployed so no
violent ware books please; also nothing longer
than 500 pages[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Jeff[/td][td]LibbyD[/td][td]literary fiction, historical fiction, mystery/
suspense, or non-fiction on almost any
subject.[/td][td]I can't handle chick-lit, romance, or blood and
gore[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]JennaAnderson[/td][td]Geemont[/td][td]My 12 Kindleboard Game Books

All Books Since December 1990
[/td][td]None. But be mindful of extreme length during
this short month.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]kkay5[/td][td]RavenclawPrefect [/td][td]Science Fiction; Thriller/Mystery;
Contemporary Fiction[/td][td]Non-fiction; Bodice Rippers; Graphic Violence/
Gore (over the top, pages describing
dismemberment type things); Religious[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]LibbyD[/td][td]luvmy4brats[/td][td]No Usual genre Here's my
Goodreads Link so you can see what
I've read: www.goodreads.com[/td][td]Graphic Violence; Horror; Religion/politics[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]luvmy4brats[/td][td]drenfrow[/td][td]Mystery, Fantasy/Sci Fi, Science/History of
Science[/td][td]extreme violence/gore, extreme sadness,
horror/scary stuff, You can check out my books
on Goodreads: Donna's Books[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Margaret[/td][td]Jared[/td][td]I like pretty much anything--sci fi, fantasy,
bestsellers, thriller, etc.[/td][td]Deal breakers are explicit sex[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Marguerite[/td][td]SongbirdVB[/td][td]Fiction - crime, suspense, mystery, romance,
comedy, vampire[/td][td]overly gory (which would include most zombie
books I've tried), political (including war/spy
stuff), Stephen King, religious with the intent to
convert me.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]MissStar[/td][td]vg[/td][td]I'll try anything[/td][td]as long as it doesn't have gratuitous graphic sex
and/or violence.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]MoyJoy[/td][td]imallbs[/td][td] Western European and American history;
Historical Fiction; Mystery[/td][td]Because February scares me, I'm adding
romance as a deal breaker. And I plan to veto
anything too high on the mush-o-meter. It isn't a
deal breaker, but please, something a little
shorter, like under 10000 locations.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]RavenclawPrefect [/td][td]Geoffrey[/td][td]Science Fiction; Fantasy; Alternate History;
gay themed books. You can find me on
goodreads here.[/td][td]No Deal Breakers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Solace[/td][td]Tripp[/td][td]historical fiction; chick lit; family saga;
drama; suspense; thrillers; religion is
OK if it is presented culturally, not to
convert.[/td][td]Vampires.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]songbirds sis[/td][td]Margaret[/td][td]Mysteries; Historical Fiction; Chick Lit This
is the link to my Goodreads Account[/td][td]No Deal Breakers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]SongbirdVB[/td][td]Basilius[/td][td]Fantasy; Science Fiction; Military History[/td][td]Horror, Romance, Religious (non-)Fiction,
Vampires or paranormal, Nothing with sex
crimes in it. I don't have a problem with reading
about them, but the last two books I've been
assigned (and four overall) have revolved around
sex crimes. A change there would be nice.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Tripp[/td][td]Jeff[/td][td]I normally read about anything. Here's my
Goodreads URL. I have a special request
that the book recommended for me is set
during the mid 19th century and reasonably
historically accurate. If that's too hard - fire
away with anything.[/td][td]No erotica, please.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Tuttle[/td][td]songbirds sis[/td][td]i am open to anything[/td][td]without too much violence[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]vg[/td][td]Emily King[/td][td]Urban Fantasy; Paranormal; Horror; Mystery
here is my Goodreads[/td][td]Non-Fiction; Religious / political with the intent
of change; Harlequin-style romance. I would
prefer an indie or something less expensive, if
possible.[/td][/tr]

See less See more
#2 ·
MoyJoy,

I swear I got you on accident. ;D I had a harder time than I thought narrowing down books for you, so, you get a few very different ones to choose from.

The first is a fun little coming of age story set in a time and a place to show you how and where MichelleR and I grew up (not together, we just happen to be from the same place) Band ****! by Frank Anthony Polito.

Your second choice is a tougher read. It's the story of a 40-something closeted man and his coming of age (finally!). He's a hot mess but a surprisingly sympathetic character at the same time: Probation by Tom Menicino

And finally, if you're up to it, a New Weird novel set in the near future and an excellent commentary about our society's cult of celebrity. Grey by Jon Armstrong. (you can get it at Amazon or you can pick up a free copy here.)

#3 ·
MissStar, I have two selections for you. If you've read them let me know!

First is Sleep No More by Greg Iles. This book is one of my favorites & I think that you will enjoy it as well. This is the book that actually introduced me to him and I haven't turned back.
Sleep No More

Second is Daddy's Little Girl by Mary Higgins Clark. Another one of my favorites.
Daddy's Little Girl

If these don't tickle your fancy I'll think of something else :)

#4 ·
Jared, welcome to the Quasi-Official Book Reading Game! In honor of the game's first anniversary, the two suggestions I have for you are books that were assigned to me in past months. I liked both of them enough to read other books written by their authors. They are

or

I found both of them to be fairly quick, entertaining reads, but if neither appeals to you, or if you have already read them, let me know. I have a few other ideas for you.

#6 ·
Annalog,

I'm give you three options to choose from since the first may be way, way out of your comfort zone.

1. I really enjoyed listeniung to the Unabridged audio version of this tragicomic novel; I could truly relate the main character, but I'm not so sure women would feel the same. The author has been called the British Philip Roth, so there is a lot about religion, but no intent to convert readers. Maybe the opposite. Only $5.00 for this year's Man-Booker Prize Winner.

2. The second is a grim and somewhat gory suspense novel. It's the first book in a trilogy, but can stand alone so far as I can recall.

3. This is a good mystery set in an English boarding school for young men. I guessed my surprise ending a few chapters before the reveal, but my wife was completely taken in and loved it more than I did. It's $10.99 unfortunately.

Let me know if none of these work for you.

#7 ·
Marguerite here are my picks for you

Hunger Games one of my favorite series

This is a little more out of your normal reading. There are some slightly sexual things in the first book but its not bodice ripping erotica. Its part of the story.

I enjoyed reading the portal series a lot. Its a YA, but a great read still. If you pick this one I can loan it to you if you like also :)

Let me know if none of them are to your liking and I will pick out something else.

#8 ·
Jeff said:
LibbyD,

Shogun by James Clavell is a big book that I was sorry to see end.

If that's not to your taste, maybe an unusual mystery in an historical setting might be.

If neither appeals to you, let me know.
Sorry, Jeff -- I've read them both. (It seems I need to stop procrastinating and get some of my reading history on Goodreads.) The good news is that you are definitely on the right track.

#9 ·
JennaAnderson, here are my book picks for you...

Here's a really good short story/novella (can't remember exactly how long it is, but it's pretty short) - I really enjoyed it:

A classic that I've read MANY times and it's not too terribly long:

A great collection of shorts and micro-fiction. I've discovered that I love to read micro-fiction (and hubby has been writing some as well). I highly recommend this one.

If you would like some other choices, let me know...

#10 ·
LibbyD said:
Sorry, Jeff -- I've read them both. (It seems I need to stop procrastinating and get some of my reading history on Goodreads.) The good news is that you are definitely on the right track.
Okay, how about the other James Clavell novels? Tai-Pan, King Rat, Nobel House and Gai-Jin are all on Kindle (I didn't care for Gai-Jin).

If you've read them all, maybe Caravans by James A. Michener. I'd never read it until I saw it on Kindle. It isn't one of his best but very interesting.

#11 ·
Here are my choices for you, Ravenclaw.

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card - http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-ebook/dp/B003UYUOZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1296568717&sr=1-1

or

The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch - http://www.amazon.com/The-13th-Hour-ebook/dp/B002ZKKYFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1296569278&sr=1-1

If these don't work, let me know and I will pick something different!

Is there an easy way to display the cover of the books with a link to the Kindle edition?

#13 ·
Geoffrey, I have chosen this for you:

I just recently started watching Craig's show and find him incredibly funny. Based on the recommendation of a friend, I decided to read his book. After reading this, I am going to read the novel he wrote as well.

Even if you are not a fan of his comedy, I still think his story is an interesting read.

kkay5 - oh, both look like good selections. I am a fan of Orson Scott Card and leaned towards that one first but after reading the description of both, I am now waffling. I am going to sample both and see which one grabs me. I will let you know for sure in a few days. I am still finishing up my January selection :)

#14 ·
luvmy4brats,

I have two choices for you.

The first is When The Emperor Was Divine, by Julie Otsaka. It's a beautifully written and extremely moving story about a Japanese-American family's internment during World War II. Various parts of the story are told in the voices of individual family members, which I think is a very effective technique.

The second is Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, which I'm recommending because you enjoyed Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. For me, the Krakauer book was riveting, unforgetable reading.

If these don't interest you I have others in mind that might.

#15 ·
Jeff said:
Okay, how about the other James Clavell novels? Tai-Pan, King Rat, Nobel House and Gai-Jin are all on Kindle (I didn't care for Gai-Jin).

If you've read them all, maybe Caravans by James A. Michener. I'd never read it until I saw it on Kindle. It isn't one of his best but very interesting.
I've read all of Clavell's books except for Gai-Gin, but I won't choose that one because you didn't like it. So, unless you can think of something you really liked I'll go with Caravans.

#16 ·
RavenclawPrefect said:
Geoffrey, I have chosen this for you:

I just recently started watching Craig's show and find him incredibly funny. Based on the recommendation of a friend, I decided to read his book. After reading this, I am going to read the novel he wrote as well.

Even if you are not a fan of his comedy, I still think his story is an interesting read.
I thought about reading his book but kept putting it off ... guess you've changed my mind. :) I just picked it up.

#18 ·
LibbyD said:
I've read all of Clavell's books except for Gai-Gin, but I won't choose that one because you didn't like it. So, unless you can think of something you really liked I'll go with Caravans.
I can't think of any Kindle books that measure up and are similar to Clavell's books except The Winds of War and a few others by Herman Wouk. But you've probably read them too.

#19 ·
Emily - Great choices!! I will get Black Beauty for sure. I enjoy the classics and haven't read that one yet. I will also pick one of the creepy books. I'll pop back in when I decide.

Geemont - here are your options

I see that you like dark noir mysteries. Here is an author that I don't think you've read yet.
Flood by Andrew Vachss - $7.67 368 pp
He has at least five books in this series. This is the first.

I looked at the books you gave five-star ratings too on Goodreads. I then looked them up on Amazon and found these in the "Those who bought..." area.

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick
$7.59 336pp

and

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
$8.42 224pp

If you hate all three I have backups.

~ Jenna
Share the Love of Books 2011 - http://one-mystake-at-a-tyme.blogspot.com/2011/02/event-share-love-of-books-2011.html

#22 ·
#24 ·
Basilius - This was so HARD! I never realized how much of my reading was vampire, romance, paranormal, etc until I tried to find a favorite that WASN'T on that list! ::)

Here are the options I have for you:

I found this book HILARIOUS. Much better than the TV show.

Or:

OR:

If you can't imagine reading any of them let me know and I'll try again! ;D

#26 ·
Geemont said:
Jenna,

I've read Flood and Fear and Loathing (in the mid '80s), but the book on North Korea looks interesting. I've downloaded the sample.
OK - well, since two of my suggestions are out I will tempt you with these new ones:

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Only $5.99 and is raved about by one of my coworkers

Or
Three Hundred Zeros

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.