Author Topic: Direct Verse Jump-2 on ESV! Well, not in name.  (Read 2972 times)  

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
Direct Verse Jump-2 on ESV! Well, not in name.
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:27 AM »
I am happy to report that ESV has done it.  They integrated the DVJ-2 (keeping the DVJ book abbreviations!) and 5-way controller moves between books OR chapters into the ESV Study Bible!

They call it "Direct Access to Any Verse."

It was at my nudging but without my help.  I am happy.  Please read the announcement and my comment here.  Do I sound as begging?

Here is their description of the navigation aids for the ESV Study Bible:

Moving the 5-Way Controller to the right or left when viewing the Bible text will move to the next or previous chapter; when viewing the opening page of a book, it will move to the next or previous book; and when viewing an article, it will move to the next or previous heading.

Direct Access to Any Verse

To gain direct access to any verse in the ESV Bible:
1. Press the MENU button.
2. Select Index.
3. Type the two- or three-character abbreviation for the desired book, followed by a space. Use the exact book abbreviations below OSNOVA:basically DVJ abbreviations.
4. Type the chapter number, followed by a space, and the verse number. OSNOVA: They decided to omit the chapter numbers for Obadiah, Philemon, 2 John, 3 John, and Jude, which is different from me because they don't have to be compatible with DVJ-1; and DVJ-2 gives a hint that you don't have to enter the chapter number.
5 Press Enter.

OSNOVA: They also did the DVJ-2 links to the book's top (e.g., jn) and the chapters (e.g., jn 3), which for some reason I left out.

So, it is good news for those who wanted to have DVJ-2 on ESV.  I guess they decided that DVJ-1 is not worth it because of the Kindle search bugs, the gaps in the text that it creates and the software Kindles not being able to properly handle the color tags.  However, this omission makes it impossible to search multiple Bibles from the Home screen.

By the way, here is their instructions to update the ESV Study Bible if you own the previous version (if it works, it should also work with OSNOVA updates):

If you own a previous version of the ESV Study Bible, Kindle Edition, you'll want to replace it with the new file; you may have to go to Amazon.com's "Manage Your Kindle" page -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage#Content -- to reinstall it.