Author Topic: Post Oberon Pictures Here!!! Help others choose which Oberon is prettiest!  (Read 444891 times)  

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
Wow, what a great collection. Thanks for the pictures!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
  • ^ ...wish I was back here...
    • View Profile
Here's another Dragonfly Pond.  This was a special order with no felt on the inside, so if you look at the inside left cover, you'll see nothing but the smooth leather pocket there.  If at some point I decide it needs more padding, I plan to glue a few fabric or batting layers to the plastic stiffening insert Oberon includes with these.

Here's the Fern K2 cover, with a black Celtic Diamond 5x7 journal, and new Borsa Bella bags.

The open K2 cover, without wool felt.

"If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline Lilly

• View Profile
Supercrone, brilliant!!! ;D  Thank you! :-*  You did a great job.  I don't think I can wait for the red Sun til June.  I'm going to try and see how long I last.  I have not even receive the red River Garden (just ordered on Monday) and I'm lusting after the red Sun! :-[

Offline Lilly

• View Profile
OK, I could not take the agony, so I just ordered a large red Sun journal cover! ::) :-[ :'(

Offline Supercrone

• Chicago
    • View Profile
Supercrone, brilliant!!! ;D  Thank you! :-*  You did a great job.  I don't think I can wait for the red Sun til June.  I'm going to try and see how long I last.  I have not even receive the red River Garden (just ordered on Monday) and I'm lusting after the red Sun! :-[
You're welcome. At least you can see the two together in one or two of the photos. My RG journal, though, is a tad bigger, and it has the whole RG design, which they trimmed a bit to fit the K2 cover. Same with the sun; his upper rays are chopped off, poor baby!  :'(

OOps, I see you caved! Just like me, go for a journal. You'll be glad you did, and you get the sun button, too, and all the rays.

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Eastern Shore, MD
    • View Profile
OK, I could not take the agony, so I just ordered a large red Sun journal cover! ::) :-[ :'(

LOL. You lasted 12 minutes.

I wish I had a need for a journal that black celtic diamond is gorgeous. If they ever offer that for the K2, it's mine.

Offline VictoriaP

• View Profile

I wish I had a need for a journal that black celtic diamond is gorgeous. If they ever offer that for the K2, it's mine.

"Need" is relative, especially in this place!  The journal hasn't got a thing in it yet, and I'm still not quite sure what I **will** use it for. LOL  I've never managed to successfully keep a journal, either paper or online.  I'm thinking about taking some sketching lessons though, it's been a long time since I did any drawing and there are times I'd like to be able to do that again.  And I figure it will be good for collecting quotes, pressing flowers, and notes on happy things.  We'll see.....

One thing I discovered today though is that the more heavily tooled covers have a much harder feel to them than the lightly tooled dragonfly one.  That one is butter soft, the celtic diamond isn't, which was kind of interesting.  I'm assuming it's the same with ones like RoH & River Garden?
"If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile

Ah, OK, that seems to work better!

Love this collection!

Offline gwen10

• View Profile
Here's another Dragonfly Pond.  This was a special order with no felt on the inside, so if you look at the inside left cover, you'll see nothing but the smooth leather pocket there.  If at some point I decide it needs more padding, I plan to glue a few fabric or batting layers to the plastic stiffening insert Oberon includes with these.

Here's the Fern K2 cover, with a black Celtic Diamond 5x7 journal, and new Borsa Bella bags.

The open K2 cover, without wool felt.

The dragonfly pond is so pretty - it is really growing on me.  The color is fern, correct? My black Celtic Knots should (hopefully) be here in a few days.
Congrats to you - all gorgeous!

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
I have Tree of Life in saddle and got my red River Garden today. Love it!  ;D I am saving for Forest in green and the red Sun.

Offline Abby

• Member 1864
    • View Profile

I wish I had a need for a journal too (either that or they made smaller portfolios since I usually have a pad of paper with me).  They're so pretty.

Offline Supercrone

• Chicago
    • View Profile
I wish I had a need for a journal too (either that or they made smaller portfolios since I usually have a pad of paper with me).  They're so pretty.
Ah, but you DO need a journal, you just don't realize it yet. Go to the Kindle Store and buy one of the books on journaling and get enthused!  ::)

(I want an enabler badge too.)

Offline Lilly

• View Profile

Need, what's that?  I've never kept a journal in my life!  I just wanted the red Sun but not another K2 cover with straps.  I might take it the shoe store with the Amazon cover and see if the hinges could be moved.

Offline VictoriaP

• View Profile
The dragonfly pond is so pretty - it is really growing on me.  The color is fern, correct? My black Celtic Knots should (hopefully) be here in a few days.
Congrats to you - all gorgeous!

Yes, that's the fern color--to me, the picture is just a half shade darker than the actual cover (even without any processing, just naked jpegs, my Canon is set to a fairly vibrant colorspace and contrast setup).  Campbell's Split Pea Soup really is about the best description I can come up with!

One advantage to the NON wraparound covers is how decadently soft the leather remains.  I just keep running my hands over it, it has a great feel.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
One thing I discovered today though is that the more heavily tooled covers have a much harder feel to them than the lightly tooled dragonfly one.  That one is butter soft, the celtic diamond isn't, which was kind of interesting.  I'm assuming it's the same with ones like RoH & River Garden?

Yes, this is true -- now that I have held the ROH and River Garden. Compared to my Hokusai wave...well, there is no comparison. The Hokusai wave was soft and folded back from the minute I took it out of the box. The River Garden is much more stiff and doesn't fold back (yet). Others have given me suggestions and I assume it will break in eventually. But it is a very different texture than the Hokusai wave.

On the other hand, my daughter's tree of life, also a wraparound design, was also very soft and bendable right from the start. Not sure if this has something to do with the dye and colors or the design?

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline KindleKay (aka #1652)

• AR
  • http://www.KindleKay.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • The World Through My Eyes.... Blog
This picture was taken by a high resolution camera and on my screen the color is exactly right. I have the Fern cover and the greens blend beautifully.

OK- Kathy, is this cover Green or Fern??

I think I have decided that I like Dragonfly Pond but now must decide on Green or Fern.  I, too, have the DecalGirl Lily skin.  I know that the Dragonfly Pond screen a few posts above this one is fern, but I need to make sure that what Kathy's is....

eBay Kindle 1 Auction Won 1.29.09
Shipped from seller 1.30.09
K1 Delivered  2.2.09
K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
K1 Sold 7.13.09
K2 Delivered 7.14.09
The Best Kindle 1 Watch Story EVER- MINE!
My Goodreads account, be my friend!

Offline VictoriaP

• View Profile
That's definitely fern.  Green is a lot darker, more like a hunter green. I don't think anyone here has bought Pond in green yet.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
OK- Kathy, is this cover Green or Fern??

I think I have decided that I like Dragonfly Pond but now must decide on Green or Fern.  I, too, have the DecalGirl Lily skin.  I know that the Dragonfly Pond screen a few posts above this one is fern, but I need to make sure that what Kathy's is....

Fern.

Offline VictoriaP

• View Profile
Yes, this is true -- now that I have held the ROH and River Garden. Compared to my Hokusai wave...well, there is no comparison. The Hokusai wave was soft and folded back from the minute I took it out of the box. The River Garden is much more stiff and doesn't fold back (yet). Others have given me suggestions and I assume it will break in eventually. But it is a very different texture than the Hokusai wave.

On the other hand, my daughter's tree of life, also a wraparound design, was also very soft and bendable right from the start. Not sure if this has something to do with the dye and colors or the design?

L

Not sure how much sense this will make, but....

If you look at where the spine is on Tree of Life, you've got larger areas of more lightly tooled leather, for lack of a better term. The really highly detailed portions of the design are away from the spine.  I'd assume the leather in that center area (the trunk of the tree) would therefore be more flexible.

If you look at River Garden, you've got the reverse--a lot of fine detail right along the spine area.  Based on how the Celtic Diamond feels in the more heavily tooled areas, I would think that would indeed tend to make it less flexible & it would have a "harder" feel along the spine than Tree would.  I **do** think that with some work, that area will loosen up & fold just fine, but unlike the softer, less tooled leather, it will need some flexing & creasing to gain back the flexibility.

Offline kari

• View Profile
Butterfly folds back very easily and lays nearly completely flat -- in fact, it is flat with the Kindle inside.  Also, the way the pattern is, it's almost like there are lines there that make it perfect for folding.  Hard to explain but I'm just so happy with it.  I love it more than I thought I would!  Absolutely beautiful -- best Kindle purchase yet besides K2 itself!   ;D

And it's not much bigger than the Amazon case, to my surprise.  Heavier yes, but just slightly bigger which is a good thing as it gives me something to hold onto!

I'm going to try to take pics and post in a day or so even though my particular combination is nothing new.  It's new to me and might be new to someone else too. 

Offline Kindgirl

• Ohio
    • View Profile
It's absolutely amazing to me how the exact same device can be transformed in so many beautiful ways.  Personalized covers, skins, screensvers, even names!  With the screensavers from you folks, the Oberon cover, the pretty skins from Decal Girl and the other guy... my kindle really feels MINE now.  I've never bonded with an inanimate object before.    ::)

Offline Abby

• Member 1864
    • View Profile
I'm going to try to take pics and post in a day or so even though my particular combination is nothing new.  It's new to me and might be new to someone else too. 
Please post your pictures.  I was deciding between Butterfly and ROH in purple and would have loved your pictures.  I ultimately went with ROH.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
You are so right Kindgirl. I loved my Kindle on sight, but now that she is so dressed up I just love to look at her.  :)

Offline KindleKay (aka #1652)

• AR
  • http://www.KindleKay.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • The World Through My Eyes.... Blog
I am 99.9% sure that I am going with Dragonfly Pond in Fern but I am waiting for my Amazon Visa to get here in the mail.  I really thought that I would have had it by now....if I wait for that to order, I get double points!!  Yippee!!

eBay Kindle 1 Auction Won 1.29.09
Shipped from seller 1.30.09
K1 Delivered  2.2.09
K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
K1 Sold 7.13.09
K2 Delivered 7.14.09
The Best Kindle 1 Watch Story EVER- MINE!
My Goodreads account, be my friend!

Offline kevin63

• Saint Louis, Missouri
  • Honda Ridgeline
    • View Profile

They do have smaller journals in the 5X7 size   it would be good for carrying around your small pad of paper.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac