Kindle Forum banner

Should I get a dog? I did.

85K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  yoshiyoshi 
#1 ·
I should? Should I? I love dogs. They seem to at least like me.

I came a little close yesterday. At least it made me a little more sure about it. Went to local pet shop to get bird seed. They always have a few mixed breed puppies. Couple weeks ago I dreamed that I got a dachshund. So yesterday in the pet shop they had mixed min dachsie / min pin. I sure thought about it, but no.

There is a certain breed I want. Border Terrier. I had one 40 years ago. No dog since. Beagles and Borders -- my favs. (Borders book store also favorite. :))

This is my long gone Border, Ribbon.

I live in a condo. (Dogs under 20 lbs. permitted. Full grown Borders are app. 15 lbs.) No longer work. Home a lot. NO family.

I don't remember how we housebroke our Beagle and Border. Today it's generally done with a crate / crate training? Borders are smart little things. I don't think it would be too much of a problem (hopefully). It's said of Borders -- they're a big dog in a little dog's body.

See less See more
#6 ·
pidgeon92 said:
Of course you should get a dog! But please, consider adopting a shelter dog.
Ditto...or at the very least make sure you are not supporting a "puppy mill" or irresponsible breeder. If you do want to go with a specific breed such as the Border Terrier, make sure you do the homework to find out what its typical needs are in terms of exercise and determine if you are able to provide it; and of course learning what the breed's typical temperament is can help you decide if it's a good fit for you, remembering that within a given breed personalities will vary just like with people.

#7 ·
I don't believe it!  Love the internet.  I remembered the name of the breeder who I got Ribbon from 40 years ago.  I binged.  Found contact info.  Sent an e-mail last night.  I just got off the phone with her!  She's still in the Chicago area.  No longer breeding as she's up a little in years, but she knows a number of Border people in the area.  I think this is gonna happen.   :)

G
#9 ·
Terriers need a lot of exercise.  If you live in a Condo, you may want to consider a more quiet, laid back breed.

I don't believe in buying dogs from pet stores.  They prop up puppy mills.

A reliable breeder would actually be really terrific to speak with, and give you great advice.  They are just as likely to say "this dog is not for you" as "please buy the dog."

Shelters are CRAMMED with dogs, including pure breeds, due to the economy.  If you have no inclination at all to save one of those dogs... ask yourself if owning a specific breed is important enough to you to let them die without homes. 

I own pugs, but they were both rescues.  In fact, this is a large farm and the only two animals here who were NOT rescues were wedding gifts (our pair of Andalusians). 

There's nothing wrong with buying from a breeder... just please consider how important it is and remember a dog is not a toy.  An energetic dog can't be blamed for eating couches if it is not allowed to burn off that steam.  And it sucks to walk a hyper dog in the rain.

Good luck!

#11 ·
john_a_karr said:
Second that. So many unwanted animals in shelters these days, from young to old. We have two dogs and a cat from shelters and they seem very happy to have found a home.
Yep. Noggin was adopted from a shelter. He's a mutt, no special breed, not especially cute or good-looking, mild-mannered, and one of the best and luckiest choices I ever made in my life. :) And I must give kudos to the people running the shelter that they worked to match me up with the right dog -- one of my first choices was rejected by them as not a good fit for me and my situation.

#12 ·
You live by yourself, a dog is a great idea. The police man that I talk to at the dog park told my best friend and I if we had to choose between a security system or a dog for security for our own place (she lives on her own and I have a key to use her place to study at)....He said to get a dog.

I say get a dog. If it wasn't for my dog, I wouldn't spent so much time outside. I take her on drives (head out the window and all), trips to the dog park, occassionaly hike, we take my bike to starbucks & sit outside (she used to fit my basket as a puppy, she's 80lbs), and we go thru drive thrus together. (some places have dog treats for dogs). Every year I have the entire house to myself as family goes to hawaii while i am still in school. My dog growls at the door each times someone gets to close to the front of the house. Had some odd people knock on my dog in the middle of the day and she barked when they knocked. I never answer the door for people I don't know, but they don't stay long when they hear my dog.

#14 ·
If a border turns out to need too much exercise for a condo, try a yorkie.  They are very much little people in dog skin or big dogs in little dogs bodies.  They are so small that they can get enough exercise in your house, yet could hike 13 miles when in shape.  They are the BEST dog breed in my opinion.  I would only try another breed if I was rescuing, and please, please do not buy from a pet store.  They are from puppy mills and are fraught with problems.

#15 ·
There's something about a Border . . . .  They're a big dog in a little dog's body.  They're spunky little things.  (I don't like sissy prissy dogs.)  They are smart.  But at the same time, they like sitting on a lap.  They kinda go both ways -- active and quiet / calm.  In looks, they sort of resemble a Jack Russell (another English breed), but they are far from the live wires that JRs are.  I had Ribbon years ago.  I know firsthand too. 

Nancy, the former breeder, agreed a Border would be good for me here.  I do need a dog to get me going.  I am far too content just sitting with my Kindle (and DTBs) and TV with DVDs. 

Yes, a Border Terrier.

#17 ·
Sandpiper said:
I don't believe it! Love the internet. I remembered the name of the breeder who I got Ribbon from 40 years ago. I binged. Found contact info. Sent an e-mail last night. I just got off the phone with her! She's still in the Chicago area. No longer breeding as she's up a little in years, but she knows a number of Border people in the area. I think this is gonna happen. :)
That sounds sooooo exciting, Sandpiper! I understand how certain breeds have special traits and are exactly right for some people. Years ago my sister-in-laws parents were looking for a dog. They wanted a small dog that could handle the activity of grandchildren in good humor and be content settled down when it was just them alone at home. I suggested a Border Terrier, because I'd been around a lot of them in agility and thought they were cool little dogs. Saw my SIL's parents a few years later - and the dog - and he was such a gentleman! Happy, fun, well-mannered. They were very happy with him.

Please report back if you get one and let us know how things are going.

Best,
Gemi

#18 ·
Sandpiper said:
I should? Should I? I love dogs. They seem to at least like me.
I'm the last person on earth you should ask this question because my answer is always an emphatic "yes!" regardless of the circumstances. Everyone should own a dog. Everyone should own five dogs (even though I don't practice what I preach because I only keep one). :D

That little guy in your picture is totally adorable. I just want to squeeze him.

ETA: just read your update. Congrats! It looks like an adorable breed and I'm sure you won't regret it. :)

#20 ·
I grew up with one small housedog (rat terrier type who was a sweetheart) and later an outside beagle. When our kids were young teens I started talking about getting a dog. I was amazed when a couple of my friends told me they didn't think we would be a good family for a dog! I couldn't understand why - I have a very flexible job close to home and I could come home every day at lunchtime to take a dog out. Our kids were very responsible and we had done quite well caring for our pet cats over the years. I finally came to the conclusion that the people I was taking to were "dog snobs" - no one was quite as special and uniquely equipped to have a dog as they were!

Our first dog was a retired racing greyhound. We had been exploring greyhound adoption groups on the internet when by a serendipidous and amazing coincidence, we found a stray greyhound! I was able to find the owner after several days and it turned out that the dog was no longer wanted (which might be why they weren't too concerned when they let her run loose out of their yard and she disappeared...) Tori was 7 years old and we had her for 3 years before she passed away - she was the most wonderful sweet soul and was a complete blessing to our family.

A year after getting Tori, we adopted a small dog named Arthur from a free-to-good-home ad in the newspaper. He's a 10 pound Chinese Crested Powder Puff - which means he's the same breed as the nearly hairless dogs that always win the Ugly Dog contests! Except he is totally furred and looks a bit like a poodle. Arthur was 4 when we got him and now he is almost 12 and still full of love and sweetness. He's a wonderful dog!

My brother recently lost their 16 year old Border Terrier Daisy. I know what you mean about them being a big dog in a small dog's body. Daisy was a remarkable dog and is sorely missed. Here are two pics of her going kayaking with her family a few years ago (when she was well past middle age!) Good luck in your search - I hope you are able to find a dog from a shelter or breed rescue group - but however you get your dog I'm sure you will be happy with it!

#21 ·
I have two cats but last month a boxer came into our life.  She was a stray and we never found her owners.  I have had dogs in the past but none like this one.  I can honestly say the boxer breed is pretty amazing.  She has health issues which I'm told is typical of boxers but her personality more than makes up for the vet bill.  I feel like I have been missing out my whole life not knowing how awesome boxers are!  She just came into my life out of no where but I can't imagine life without her.  I hope all works out for you!

#22 ·
Tam said:
My brother recently lost their 16 year old Border Terrier Daisy. I know what you mean about them being a big dog in a small dog's body. Daisy was a remarkable dog and is sorely missed. Here are two pics of her going kayaking with her family a few years ago (when she was well past middle age!) Good luck in your search - I hope you are able to find a dog from a shelter or breed rescue group - but however you get your dog I'm sure you will be happy with it!
Daisy looks so sweet. I'm sure she is missed BIG TIME.

Heard from Nancy, former breeder, again. She's going to have a couple breeders call me and check into possible older dog. (Though maybe not a shelter dog, a dog not so in demand as a puppy.) I'm open to most any age -- just gotta be a Border.

I could start crate shopping. They weren't used 40 - 55 years ago when we had the Beagle and later the Border. What size for a 15 lb. dog? Some have movable interior walls? Anything else in particular I should look for in a crate?

#23 ·
If there is any way you could drive up and get the dog, or fly up yourself and drive back with it possibly the dog would like that better.  I've always wondered about flying my dogs and if they would like it.  Sometimes we go to the grocery store and you can hear them from outside the house howling and yodeling. :)

I love dogs and would always recommend having one to anybody who understands the commitment and responsibility. 

Best to you and your new best friend. :)

James

#24 ·
MichelleR said:
One of those dogs in particular could interest me -- Scrappy. But really, not much is said about him. And I don't much care for their procedure for adopting. Fill out on-line form. Someone will call if they like what's on the form. If so, be there on the 16th -- first come gets the dog. Geeeez. I'm a distance, but not too far. Line waiting outside the shelter at 8:00 a.m.? I'm first. No, I'm first. Not first. You lose. Seems a little not so to me. Animals there may be OK. Sometimes shelters get shut down. (Thinking of one in this area years ago.)

#26 ·
Sandpiper said:
One of those dogs in particular could interest me -- Scrappy. But really, not much is said about him. And I don't much care for their procedure for adopting. Fill out on-line form. Someone will call if they like what's on the form. If so, be there on the 16th -- first come gets the dog. Geeeez. I'm a distance, but not too far. Line waiting outside the shelter at 8:00 a.m.? I'm first. No, I'm first. Not first. You lose. Seems a little not so to me. Animals there may be OK. Sometimes shelters get shut down. (Thinking of one in this area years ago.)
That does seem chaotic. We did the first come/first serve thing when a dog was featured on the news, but only because in that case it would be crazy. I'd handle it a little different from online. Of course, little dogs are much more in demand.

When I fostered, I'd screen the people and make my own decisions, arrange for a visit, and the dog would only return to the shelter as a formality unless he had not been neutered.

Still, it's not Scrappy's fault. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.