Author Topic: Self Publish With BookBaby  (Read 15967 times)  

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Deadish Online
Re: Self Publish With BookBaby
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »
The website claims they pay weekly. That's a little surprising since the retailers don't pay that often, which would mean BookBaby is floating you the cash until Amazon pays them? Definitely suggests a site that doesn't expect their clients' books to sell.
Oh, that's a tricky one! Here's what I assume you're talking about:

All accounting details will be available and updated daily in the secure members' login area at https://www.bookbaby.com/Login. We will make payments to you (by wire or electronic transfer) when the amounts credited to you exceed the Threshold Amount (as defined below) set by you initially upon your registration with BookBaby, or as subsequently modified by you. Payments will occur within 7 business days from the date that your account balance exceeds the Threshold Amount.

Which could (legitimately) mean that once they receive a monthly payment from a retailer, they update your sales info and a week later, pay you. Still faster than Smashwords, I grant, but I don't think it's likely that they'd pay for actual sales made the previous week. I think the sales they'd be paying out on would most likely be 1-3 months ago.

Offline Christopher Hunter

• New York, New York
    • View Profile
    • ChristopherHunterFiction.com
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
No thank them, I'll stick to Smashwords. Not paying a cent in up-front costs. That, plus the flexibility to do promotions with codes is unbeatable. The only problems I have with Smashwords are the slow payment system, the troublesome meat-grinder, the self-interested culture of the members, the fact that customers have to put in credit card information manually with each purchase, and the fact that a book will sink like a stone after publication. But those issues aside, I can't think of a more author-friendly distributor. 
www.christopherhunterfiction.com
Introducing the complete "The Days and Months We Were First Born" Trilogy. And book one is free in the US and UK!

Offline kyrin

• New York
  • Richard Jackson
    • View Profile
    • Kyrin's Insight
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
I'm actually looking for a service similar to this. Not due to laziness mind you, but due to time. Right now I work an average of 9+ hours a day, when I come home I barely have the energy to write. Much less edit, create a cover, and fiddle with formatting. If theres a service that will do that stuff for me great.

$99 seems very a very reasonable price to farm out some of the drudge work.

I'm a little dubious about handing over control of my profits (if any). I would much rather have control of that myself.

Besides Bookbay, are there any other 'full service' companies like this around?

Im biased but the few full service companies I have seen are just like the vanity press operations of the past. They charge a lot for what you can and probably should do yourself. If you want to do it, let us know how it turns out for you. I cant think of any I can recommend to you in good conscience.

I don't see it as drudge work but I can understand wanting someone else to do cover art, editing or formatting. Just be aware, it might not save you any time or work.

Uploading your book and putting it on Kindle is very quick and easy. I cant see paying someone to do it for me especially if it meant I wouldnt have access to the sales reports or they would have access to my account information.

When it comes to editing, you still have to make changes to your manuscript based on the suggestions and feedback from your editor. I dont know about you but I couldnt bring myself to trust someone else to change my manuscript for me. The same thing goes for formatting.

With covers, you might work closely with whoever is designing your cover or you might trust them to design something after reading your book / synopsis. I dont think it works that way with a full service company.

You can save time by doing certain things yourself. It might even decrease the amount of work you need to do. Formatting is one of those things. Using a template for your manuscript will take a lot of work out of formatting. There are a lot of threads and guides in this forum that take a lot of pain out of formatting your books. If youre skilled with Gimp/Photoshop, you could do your own cover. If not, you can find someone who will be able to do a professional looking cover and cost less than going to a full service company. For editing, I would hire someone to do it then I would make the changes to the manuscript. All in all, you might spend less than going to a full service company. Also If something needs to be changed, you dont have any hoops to jump through.

If you really want someone to do editing, cover art, formatting and publish your book for you then I suggest you look into getting a publisher. There are a lot of very good small publishers out there who might be a good fit for you. They will even pay you which is  a far better deal than paying an operation like BookBaby.

Kyrin's Insight - My Blog | Hunter's Moon - Coming Soon

Offline Rex Jameson

• Speculative fiction dork
    • View Profile
    • Speculative Musings
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
No thank them, I'll stick to Smashwords. Not paying a cent in up-front costs. That, plus the flexibility to do promotions with codes is unbeatable. The only problems I have with Smashwords are the slow payment system, the troublesome meat-grinder, the self-interested culture of the members, the fact that customers have to put in credit card information manually with each purchase, and the fact that a book will sink like a stone after publication. But those issues aside, I can't think of a more author-friendly distributor.  

The coupon thing is the most attractive part of Smashwords, over all, imo. Regardless of take, that is just an incredible option to have available for promotion. I can't imagine not doing Smashwords, even if BookBaby did end up being better, if it meant that I could have a coupon option for reviewers or just promotional periods.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:21:11 PM by rexjameson »

Offline Beth Barany

• Beth Barany, Author of Henrietta The Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
    • Beth Barany, YA Fantasy Author
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
While I like what CDBaby has done for indie musicians (my husband is one of them), what they're doing for indie authors smells for like vanity press action. How are they invested in the author's success?

Another similar service like BookBaby is FastPencil.com

I guess I like the control that uploading directly to Smashwords, Kindle and Nook give me.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 06:31:17 AM »
And, as you may recall, before the indie revolution, charging for editing and cover art was also considered something that parasites did.  After all, a good publisher paid for those things for you.  Yog's Law is changing as the indies begin to change how books are produced and published.  We now pay for things no respectable writer would have ever paid for ten years ago.

Yog's law has not changed.  Publishers should still pay 100% of the cost of production.  When you self-publish, you are the publisher and therefore you are responsible for 100% of the cost of production.  So while writers would never pay for editing, publishers do.  And if you are going to serve as your own publisher, your publisher-self is resonsible for paying for that.  If someone claims to be a "publisher" and asks you for money, Yog's law still applies.  But if you are going to be your own publisher, Yog's law no longer applies in terms of you absorbing the publisher's expenses because you are the publisher.

Smashwords is a wholesaler or distributor.  Publishers have always used distributors and wholesalers.  This is a normal expense.  These services essentially sell the books for you and keep a percentage of each sale.  The reason why they distributors take a percentage instead of imposing a flat fee is because their actual expenses are based on processing sales transactions.  A book that sells 100 a month incurs less expenses to stock than a book that sells 10,000 a month.  So traditional wholesalers charge a percentage of the sale.  The more you sell, the more expenses they incur through processing the transactions. 

In the case of bookbaby, the fact that they charge a flat fee and no percentage implies that they do not expect to incur expenses from actual transactions of sales.  They have priced their service more like a virtual warehouse, where you just rent pallet space.  They are charging you for storage, but not expecting to actually sell anything.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Amanda Brice

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Amanda Brice
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »
I'd rather not pour money. Any dolt can do cover design.
Technically, any Joe Schmoe could make a cover. But there's no guarantee it would be a good one, that looks professional and actually attracts customers rather than turning them off.

I hate to say it, but when I see an amateurish cover on an indie book, I stay far, far away. I know it's not always the case, but it makes me concerned that the writing (and editing) will be equally amateurish.

Dance with danger - fall in love!
Amanda Brice | author website | facebook | youtube

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • Terrence OBrien
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
On various threads, I detect a willingness to make perpetual payments of a percentage of royalties rather than pay cash upfront. There is also a willingness to turn over control of revenue to a third party. This is almost unknown in any other businesses.

So I'd take a very hard look at anything that 1) takes control of all your revenue, and 2) takes some of that revenue forever.

The fact that it may look like the way traditional publishers do things means absolutely nothing. This is not traditional publishing.

Three services self-publishers need are editing, cover, and formatting. All can be done for lump sum payments. That means cash now and never again.

If one gets a formatted file, anyone can upload it to Amazon and B&N with a PC. Anyone. There is nothing at all difficult about it. It takes no skill. Doing it for Apple takes an Apple computer, but just as little skill.
When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
For UK Readers At Amazon UK
For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline Asher MacDonald

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 08:57:58 AM »
I agree with Terrence. Giving away a percentage is not a good idea unless there is no other option. If I was selling a lot of books, I'd invest in a used Mac and upload directly to iBooks.

Sony won't take indie books direct from indie publishers, so letting Smashwords take a percent or paying a service like Bookbaby is what you'll need.

Kobo seems like it will take your book directly, but I've yet to receive a reply from an inquiry I emailed.

Diesel requires you upload through Smashwords. Who knows if Diesel even sells?

I don't know much about Overdrive but that's another place to investigate.

I expect to see some consolidation in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if someone purchased Kobo if Borders continues to struggle.

Offline modwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »
CD Baby is a well respected name in indie music circles, and they have a good relationship with iTunes (guessing that's how they got a better deal than smashwords on ibookstore royalties).  Not saying this is a good choice for authors, but I don't think it's a shady, fly-by-night operation.

I have a mac, and a fondness for doing things myself, but I can see where this might be a good option for some, for example, for authors with more complex formatting who can't get through the smashwords meatgrinder with an acceptable output.
One author who began here.  Thanks Harvey.

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »
When it comes to distribution, I don't mind giving a hit per sale to a distributor.  For me, I can either pay a distributor to handle this stuff, or I can pay a person to handle it (or spend the time doing it myself).  If I only had one or two titles, then it would make sense to set up separate accounts with each site and manually upload to each site.  But I don't have one or two titles.  Between fiction, the journal, and my RPG products, I have well over a 100.  The administrative time dump involved to manually deal with that many products across, say, 30 or 40 sites is enormous.  So I narrow down to a couple of distributors (Mobipocket, which feeds the "traditional" ebook vendors, Smashwords, which feeds the mass retailer sites.)  Between the two of them, my books are available on dozens of sites without me having to go around manually doing all of it and checking it.  Throw in Amazon (which Mobipocket use to feed but now requires direct set-up) and OBS and I have an enormous ebook reach without the strain on my time. 

The second issue is that I know Mobipocket and particularly Smashwords are constantly looking to add new vendors to their channels.  I don't have to go out hunting down new retail sites or having one of my folks do it.  Again, for me, it is one less administrative function I need to worry about.  They can set up the agreements, and I don't have to worry about learning a new special format because whatever they agree to will almost always adhere to the existing format specifications. 

That doesn't mean I don't keep an eye on what my distributors are doing.  I do.  And if they stopped providing the service I expect, I would take my business elsewhere.  But so long as they are distributing my books, collecting my money, and continue to improve their processes to buyers, I have no problem paying them a small hit on each sale.  I prefer a distributor who only gets paid when they actually distribute (i.e. sell) books.  Just paying someone a flat fee once a year means they have my money whether they do anything or not.  Distribution requires constant upkeep and effort, not an upload and forget it approach.  I want a distributor who has a vested interest in putting in that constant upkeep and effort.

Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline BookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 07:36:28 AM »
Hello all -- Lots of really good points offered and made about BookBaby. As a few others have mentioned, BookBaby is the newest member of the CD Baby family of brands. Since 1997 we've been a trusted friend and partner to the independent music and film community.  In fact, over those years we've paid out over $180 million to artists, filmmakers -- and now authors. We have a deep understanding of digital distribution and enjoy tremendous working relationships with Apple, Amazon and many others.

Authors have a lot of terrific options to get their work distributed out to the marketplace. Every method or service has its selling points. BookBaby provides value to the authors who are looking for convenience and simplicity. We accept many original file formats - from MS Word to In Design -- for conversion. We do a lot of these text file conversions at no charge. But we also have the expertise to handle complex files with charts, graphs, tables and illustrations at a fair hourly rate.

BookBaby authors specify where they want their book sold -- any combination of Amazon, Sony, B&N and Apple and tell us their paypoint. We provide authors with full sales reporting by store, and forward 100% of their net sales receipts within a week of receiving payments from the retailers. With retailers on different payment schedules, we don't hold your money any longer than we have to!

As BookBaby evolves, we're going to be adding new services and programs.  This week we added very affordable cover design service options. In the coming weeks we'll have an author-friendly website hosting solution through another of our 'Baby brands, HostBaby. We're filling our BookBaby blog with resources and information. And of course we're working closely with our retailer partners to secure the best percentage deals for our authors.

The input we've been reading here and on other boards is being used to help us grow and improve BookBaby.  If you have additional questions or suggestions please feel free to email us at books@bookbaby.com.

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:01 AM »
BookBaby provides value to the authors who are looking for convenience and simplicity.  deals for our authors.

Or too lazy or stupid to do it themselves for free elsewhere?

Yeah, about the cover design program.  For $99 I can select a generic image or SUPPLY MY OWN and your designers will slap a standard font on it for me.  If I want a fancy font, I have to pay an extra $100.

You charge $149 (on sale for $99) PER BOOK, then $19 a year.  It costs an additional $19 for the ISBN which is needed for distribution.

What is curious is that the CDBaby site, which is what your credibility is based on, only charge $39 to upload and sell an entire album, no annual fee, and a low fee per sale.  I don't pretend to be an expert on music, but I would think formatting and processing an album is a bit more complex that auto-converting a file to epub, not to mention differences in file storage size.  How do you justify charging $149 to authors but only $39 to musicians?  The CDBaby site is actually closer to the norms of digital publishing than the bookbaby site.  A low processing fee to get the product set up, no annual fees, and a small percentage of each sale.  I find it odd that, if you have a system that already works, you wouldn't port the system and price structure over to bookbaby.  Instead, the bookbaby site reeks of price gouging.

Offline KerylR

• Charleston
  • One of these days I'll get a real portrait.
    • View Profile
    • KerylRaist.com
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »
OK, random maths attack.

I've got 5 books, list price $2.99 each, and I'll sell 1000/year of each per retailer. For ease of comparison, I'm only using retailers common to both distributors.

Bookbaby

Basic startup cost: 5 x -$99 = -$495
Take from ibookstore: 5000 x $2.99 x 0.7 = $10465
Take from Sony: 5000 x $2.99 x 0.5 = $7475
Take from B&N: 5000 x $2.99 x 0.5 = $7475

Total for the year: $24920

Smashwords

Basic startup cost: $0
Take from ibookstore: 5000 x $2.99 x 0.6 = $8970
Take from Sony: 5000 x $2.99 x 0.6 = $8970
Take from B&N: 5000 x $2.99 x 0.6 = $8970

Total for the year: $26910

Edited to add: Clearly it's never going to be this simple. For example, Apple takes VAT out of the royalties paid. But I still find it interesting. :)

Are you taking out Smashwords cut?  (I'm not seeing it in the formula.)

Still, the lower cut for Bookbaby is an important factor and does increase the number of needed sales before one can do better there than on Smashwords. 

Contemporary Fantasy
Some sins cannot be forgiven, only survived.

Offline nomesque

• View Profile
    • Deadish Online
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
Are you taking out Smashwords cut?  (I'm not seeing it in the formula.)

Smashwords do take 10% of the book price for distributed sales, but that's not taken from the 60% the author gets. Basically, the cut is 30% retailer, 10% Smashwords, 60% author. The author gets a STRAIGHT 60%.

Still, the lower cut for Bookbaby is an important factor and does increase the number of needed sales before one can do better there than on Smashwords.  

*blink* Unless you sell fantastically in the Apple store and nowhere else, you CAN'T do better on Bookbaby, as it stands, than on Smashwords. 60% will always trump 50%. Not to mention the initial and ongoing charges.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:47:10 PM by nomesque »

Offline nomesque

• View Profile
    • Deadish Online
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:01 PM »
Hello all -- Lots of really good points offered and made about BookBaby. As a few others have mentioned, BookBaby is the newest member of the CD Baby family of brands. Since 1997 we've been a trusted friend and partner to the independent music and film community.  In fact, over those years we've paid out over $180 million to artists, filmmakers -- and now authors. We have a deep understanding of digital distribution and enjoy tremendous working relationships with Apple, Amazon and many others.

Hey! Thanks for coming by, and I hope you come back. I'm curious about what happens if an author needs to change their manuscript and reupload - or wants to change their cover. Is this possible? Does it cost extra?

Offline Asher MacDonald

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
Or too lazy or stupid to do it themselves for free elsewhere?

Yeah, about the cover design program.  For $99 I can select a generic image or SUPPLY MY OWN and your designers will slap a standard font on it for me.  If I want a fancy font, I have to pay an extra $100.

You charge $149 (on sale for $99) PER BOOK, then $19 a year.  It costs an additional $19 for the ISBN which is needed for distribution.

What is curious is that the CDBaby site, which is what your credibility is based on, only charge $39 to upload and sell an entire album, no annual fee, and a low fee per sale.  I don't pretend to be an expert on music, but I would think formatting and processing an album is a bit more complex that auto-converting a file to epub, not to mention differences in file storage size.  How do you justify charging $149 to authors but only $39 to musicians?  The CDBaby site is actually closer to the norms of digital publishing than the bookbaby site.  A low processing fee to get the product set up, no annual fees, and a small percentage of each sale.  I find it odd that, if you have a system that already works, you wouldn't port the system and price structure over to bookbaby.  Instead, the bookbaby site reeks of price gouging.

I don't see it as price gouging. If a writer doesn't know how to create an ebook and has no desire to learn, he or she is going to have to pay someone to do it. At $99 I don't see anyone being gouged. And you get a bit of that money back in some of the markets by getting 100% of the revenue instead of giving a cut to the middleman.

My recommendation would be to do it yourself, including figuring out how to upload to Apple directly, and then let Smashwords handle Kobo and Diesel because I think those are small markets anyway. But some people won't mind paying $99 to get their book up for sale.

Offline Rex Jameson

• Speculative fiction dork
    • View Profile
    • Speculative Musings
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
@BookBaby: Also, could you comment about nomesque's numbers here? Are there any plans to try to negotiate a similar rate for you so that this is a more attractive option for the author community. If Smashwords is getting a much larger percentage to the author and giving us the ability to have coupons on their site for free offers, it's difficult for us to choose your outfit because we're still getting more return from Smashwords AND paying money up front for that privilege.

Specifically, nomesque is talking about the royalty section of the Smashwords FAQ here: http://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq#Royalties
You can see that they are claiming 60% of list price distributed to the author. If you're wanting to cut away a large portion of Smashwords business, you'll need to at least match this percentage and you'll have to have something else that justifies the per year fee.

Or are we missing something about your business model?

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 06:10:36 AM »
I don't see it as price gouging. If a writer doesn't know how to create an ebook and has no desire to learn, he or she is going to have to pay someone to do it. At $99 I don't see anyone being gouged. And you get a bit of that money back in some of the markets by getting 100% of the revenue instead of giving a cut to the middleman.

You are correct.  Technically, it isn't price gouging because they do not control the market.  That was the wrong phrase to use.  Instead the more accurate word would be price discrimination.  Price discrimination is the charging of different fees to different sectors of the population for the same service.  In this case, the company offers almost identical services to musicians as it does to authors, however musicians receive a much lower rate of the service than authors ($39 per album compared to $149 per book).  I challenge anyone to prove to me that processing a digital audio product is LESS work intensive than processing an ebook.  Essentially, they have decided authors are gullible and are willing to pay over a $100 more for the same service than musicians.  It is a price structure that depends on the potential customer having no idea what the actual marketplace looks like.  And while we can argue that people should take personal responsibility and research before they enter a business deal (and they should), when you deliberately set up a price structure dependent on people NOT knowing the market and not doing the research that is unethical.  It's like if you and I walk into a Starbucks and they charge you $5 for a coffee but charge me $7 because they think women are willing to pay more for the same thing.

Offline Asher MacDonald

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2011, 06:23:57 AM »
You are correct.  Technically, it isn't price gouging because they do not control the market.  That was the wrong phrase to use.  Instead the more accurate word would be price discrimination.  Price discrimination is the charging of different fees to different sectors of the population for the same service.  In this case, the company offers almost identical services to musicians as it does to authors, however musicians receive a much lower rate of the service than authors ($39 per album compared to $149 per book).  I challenge anyone to prove to me that processing a digital audio product is LESS work intensive than processing an ebook.  Essentially, they have decided authors are gullible and are willing to pay over a $100 more for the same service than musicians.  It is a price structure that depends on the potential customer having no idea what the actual marketplace looks like.  And while we can argue that people should take personal responsibility and research before they enter a business deal (and they should), when you deliberately set up a price structure dependent on people NOT knowing the market and not doing the research that is unethical.  It's like if you and I walk into a Starbucks and they charge you $5 for a coffee but charge me $7 because they think women are willing to pay more for the same thing.

I don't know anything about the audio market, but I wouldn't format someone's ebook and go to the effort of pushing it to four different markets and then provide accounting services for those sales for $39. In my mind I can't find fault with them charging more than $39.

Would I pay for their service? Doubtful, though if I had a hot book that I thought was going to sell hundreds of copies a month on iBooks it might be worth $99 to get it there rather than allow Smashwords to take a cut of every sale. (It would make more sense to just buy a used Mac and do it all myself, but I can see someone not wanting to deal with that.)

John Locke, who sells ebooks by the ten thousands, says he pays $1000 for complete service -- editing, cover, and formatting for each book.

Overall, my feeling is why let anyone else take a percentage if you can avoid it through a little work. So it takes you a few hours to get your book up on iBooks? Isn't that few hours of work worth not handing out a cut of every sale week after week, month after month, and even potentially year after year, to someone else? Bypass Bookbaby AND Smashwords if you can. Let Smashwords work on boosting the sales on their own site so we're all dying to have our books sold on Smashwords.

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 06:37:55 AM »
I don't know anything about the audio market, but I wouldn't format someone's ebook and go to the effort of pushing it to four different markets and then provide accounting services for those sales for $39. In my mind I can't find fault with them charging more than $39.

Asher, I think that is the point you might be missing.  They aren't doing ANY of that.  They are not editing the document for you.  They are using an epub converter (just like Smashwords).    They are not doing anything unique or special in relation to what everyone else in the marketplace is doing.  Once the files are uploaded, they get electronically sent to the retailers (just like Smashwords and everyone else does). It is all automated.  Then they get the sales reports and pay you (just like Smashwords and everyone else does).  They aren't doing any special accounting.  This is basic book keeping that EVERY vendor on the market does.  They are PRETENDING that they are doing something special, but they aren't.  Sort of like PublishAmerica PRETENDING that they are a traditional publisher. 

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • Terrence OBrien
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 06:45:44 AM »
A better example of price discrimination is selling an eBook at different prices on different ePlatforms. With the eBook we have the same good being sold at different prices. With the music srevice and eBook service we have different goods being sold at different prices.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:47:38 AM by Terrence OBrien »
When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
For UK Readers At Amazon UK
For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline BookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! Lets see if I can answer a few questions here.

Regarding changes to books, book contents, covers, metadata: The answer is yes. BookBaby does accommodate content and cover changes, both before and after conversion and distribution. Fees may apply for books that have been delivered to the retailers. On pricing, metadata, keywords and descriptions, we do accommodate changes. Instead of detailing everything out, I invite you to go to www.bookbaby.com/faq for more information.

Regarding percentage deals from our retailers: We're in discussions with all the major retailers to provide the best returns back to our authors. Im confident that this will be a non-issue in the near future. Stay tuned!

Regarding the CD Baby model vs. the BookBaby model and the difference in files: This is a much bigger conversation. While they share a lot of things ownership, value propositions, vendor relationships, customer service orientation the two brands are different in a lot of ways. CD Baby has its own music store for physical CDs and downloads and earns a transaction fee for each sale on its site, along with taking a small percentage from iTune downloads and the rest. BookBaby is purely a distributor right now. For many years now, music files come to CD Baby in a few very standardized formats that allow for automated processing. Each song sounds the same on every kind of player. Compare that to the book files BookBaby processes today: They come to us in many different original file types and even more formats within each type. Some books are text only; others have illustrations, charts and tables that need to be formatted carefully. While conversion is getting more standardized, there are probably over 100 readers on the market now that can display eBooks in different ways. What you see on a Kindle can be different from what you see on an iPad even one thats running the Kindle app! That makes for a lot of QC.

I'd be glad to answer any questions directly if that would be easier. My email is sspatz@bookbaby.com, or you can email our Portland office at books@bookbaby.com. We really value these conversations and feedback as it helps us to grow a better BookBaby for everyone.

Offline nomesque

• View Profile
    • Deadish Online
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! Lets see if I can answer a few questions here.

Regarding changes to books, book contents, covers, metadata: The answer is yes. BookBaby does accommodate content and cover changes, both before and after conversion and distribution. Fees may apply for books that have been delivered to the retailers. On pricing, metadata, keywords and descriptions, we do accommodate changes. Instead of detailing everything out, I invite you to go to www.bookbaby.com/faq for more information.

Aha! I can find the info in your FAQ now. I did look before asking, honest! :D What sort of fee structure do you have in mind for those spelling/punctuation changes? And, if I reword a couple of paragraphs or change the cover, I'm looking at another $99 and a new ISBN?

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »
Compare that to the book files BookBaby processes today: They come to us in many different original file types and even more formats within each type. Some books are text only;

The MAJORITY of them are text only.  At least insofar as fiction is going to be concerned.  I appreciate special time and effort involved in something that has excessive formatting needs, but that is not the norm, and your service makes no differentiation between someone with a ready-to-distribute epub file and someone who needs six hours of formatting help.  Particularly on sites like KB, most folks here already know how to format their own files.  If you had a lower rate for DIY authors who don't need formatting, then I wouldn't bat an eyelash.  But your price structure effectively forces me to pay for services I don't need just because some of your customers MIGHT need it.  That is sort of like the gas station charging me for an oil change I don't get when I stop to get gas because some customers MIGHT stop and get an oil change as well. 

Further, on your FAQ site, your site specifically says that if a book requires additional formatting for tables, there will be ADDITIONAL fees.  So to be honest, the $149 does NOT COVER EXCESS FORMATTING.  Your fee only covers basic formatting.  In your example of illustrations and tables, that formatting would (as per your own website) incur ADDITIONAL COSTS.