Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 308601 times)  

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »
Thanks Atunah, I'll have to check out these forums at Amazon. I've never heard of them!

Thanks for the heads-up on other Jeffries' books...

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
I have Lorraine Heath's Passion of a Wicked Earl in my TBR pile next. Anyone read this one yet?????

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »
Not yet, its on my TBR list that has 1800 books on it  :D. I obviously don't own all of those yet. I see its the first in her newer series and I checked my list and I only read one of hers so far, a little older "A Duke of her own". I do remember liking it.

I just have such a huge list of TBR and a huge list of authors I still need to try, I end up reading one and then move on and if I am lucky to remember, I'll go back at some point.  ;D

Passions of a Wicked Earl does seem to get good reviews on Goodreads and I think I'll be moving this up on my TBR just because.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
1800?  Wow, Atunah!

I think I have a hundred here at home to read and another 25 on my kindle...I don't think I'll ever catch up with you, girl! 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »
 :D I don't actually have all those, its just my Bucket list. Romance books I want to read before I die  ;D. I guess some have a TBR list, I have this.

I buy them as I move them to the up next shelf on Goodreads. Problem is, I keep finding books to add to my Bucket list so I better live a very very long time, or I'll be royally peeved if I can't read all those books before I turn up my toes  :D

Someone better throw my Kindle in the casket with me  ;D

Offline Miriam Minger

• View Profile
    • Walker Publishing
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
I had to check my spread sheet printout, I read 3 of Sabrina Jeffries and marked them as A-B's so I must have liked them  ;D

Hi Atunah!  Want to hear something wild?  Sabrina and I went to school together in 7th and 8th grade in Bangkok, Thailand--and we both became historical romance writers! 

Here's a heads-up for you.  :) Ever see the classic movie/musical Camelot with Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero (famous lovers in real life) and recall the song, "The Lusty Month of May?"  For the entire lusty month of May, THE PAGAN'S PRIZE is on sale for 99 cents!  This is a most wonderful group of historical romance fans so I wanted you to be the very first to know. 

And yes, I got up at 2 a.m. to watch the royal wedding and loved every minute of it.  :)

Miriam Minger

With Miriam Minger, youre assured of a good read!~Heartland Critiques

Website Facebook Amazon US Amazon UK

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »
Atunah...a book bucket list...I LOVE IT!

That's cool you and Sabrina Jefferies went to school together in BANGKOK!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »
Oh how small this world is Miriam. Cool that you went to school with Sabrina Jeffries and you both ended up writing Historicals.
 :)

Offline Harry Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2011, 09:18:34 AM »
I enjoy love stories set in historical periods.  One of my favorites is Trevanian's Summer of Katya.

Offline Adria Townsend

• Home Sweet Stranger under the name Adria Townsend
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
JS, I don't know what thread you're talking about on Amazon? I did join some Goodreads threads!

Is anyone here a Sabrina Jeffries fan? I read one book and liked it, but didn't all in love with it...Just wondering if I'm missing out on some of her other books.

Hi!  I mean the discussion threads that come up below a book title when you're at a book page on Amazon-when you scroll all the way down.  The romance forum is very active, but the historical romance isn't as lively.  I'll check out Goodreads.  Thanks for the tip. 
JS
Home Sweet Stranger under the name Adria Townsend--full-length contemporary romance and To Conquer the Heart of a King under the name J. S. Laurenz--short historical romance
J. S. Laurenz | Dime Store Cowgrrl Blog

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »
Oh I just finished

last night. I absolutely loved loved it. Adored it, I stayed up until 3 am to finish it. I am in love with the Heroine, the Hero

Sigh, perfect book, perfect romance. Just perfect *sigh. On my favorites of all time list now.
Its the 3rd in the series, I loved the first one too, liked the 2nd one a lot, but the 3rd one, Swoon  :D

And now I am reading

I am a third on and I love it already. The Hero reminds me a little of Derek Craven, the from the gutter to riches kind of thing and the layers upon layers in his person.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:23:36 PM by Atunah »

Offline Cynthia Justlin

• View Profile
    • Cynthia Justlin - Romantic Suspense Author
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
Oh I just finished

last night. I absolutely loved loved it. Adored it, I stayed up until 3 am to finish it. I am in love with the Heroine, the Hero

Sigh, perfect book, perfect romance. Just perfect *sigh. On my favorites of all time list now.
Its the 3rd in the series, I loved the first one too, liked the 2nd one a lot, but the 3rd one, Swoon  :D

And now I am reading

I am a third on and I love it already. The Hero reminds me a little of Derek Craven, the from the gutter to riches kind of thing and the layers upon layers in his person.

Atunah, I have to gush with you, because Sarah Maclean's ELEVEN SCANDALS was absolutely awesome. I've enjoyed all her books, but this one tops them all and is definitely on my favorites list as well. I want to re-read it already! *happy sigh*

And Lorraine Heath's IN BED WITH THE DEVIL is another one of my faves. Lorraine Heath has been an auto-read of mine for years. I also really loved JUST WICKED ENOUGH, so if you haven't read that one yet, you must!

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
Harry, I've never heard of Trevanian's Summer of Katya, but I will definitely look it up.

Thanks, JS, I went by and will try to go again to find my way around.

Atunah, I have a feeling you're going to make my TBR list as long as yours!  LOL.

Cynthia, do you read Lorraine Heath's contemps as well? I've never read her historicals, but I will be reading Passions of a Wicked Earl soon.

Offline Tamara Rose Blodgett

• South Dakota/ Mazatlan Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Tamara Rose Blodgett
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
Tess...have you read the Maryjanice Davidson vampire series? It is not strictly romance but is super-funny! I laughed out loud in a few parts!

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
Oh cool, Tamara Rose...sounds great. I've not read too many Vampire books, but I will definitely look that up!!!! I love humorous anything!

Offline gina1230

• Amarillo, Tx
  • Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »
Tess...have you read the Maryjanice Davidson vampire series? It is not strictly romance but is super-funny! I laughed out loud in a few parts!

I've been listening to this series, and I laughed all the way through the first two books.  The narrator does a great job and enhances the book, IMO.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
Tamara and Gina...what's the first book in the series????

And have you read anything by Jennifer Crusie?  I'm a huge fan. I sat in an airport laughing at Welcome To Temptation, I know people thought I was nuts!

Offline gina1230

• Amarillo, Tx
  • Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »
Tamara and Gina...what's the first book in the series????

And have you read anything by Jennifer Crusie?  I'm a huge fan. I sat in an airport laughing at Welcome To Temptation, I know people thought I was nuts!

Undead and Unwed is the first book in the Undead series.

I've read a few books by Jennifer Crusie, Welcome to Temptation and Fast Women.  My favorite so far, though, is Bet Me. 

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2011, 08:23:35 AM »
Gina, I know so many people loved Bet Me...and it is probably my least favorite of JC's books (but I still enjoyed it...I just love her writing style)...So amazing how everyone has such different tastes.

Thanks for letting me know about Undead and Unwed!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »
Finished "In bed with the Devil" and loved it. I am trying to throw in a contempo right now, its a Anne Stuart Black Ice. I figured I try. But my love is always Historicals. I read a couple of the Crusie including Bet Me, and although there were nice, I just find contempo stuff to "chick- litty" for me. I don't care about modern women whining about their weight and all that "realistic" stuff.

I guess I want to go away and that is why I love historicals more than anything.

So once I finish the Anne Stuart Contempo, here are some that are in my reading next list.

That is a small section of my read next list  ;D, I should be busy for a while, don't you think. I reserve the right to change to order of my up next list at any time and to insert newly found recommendations first.  :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:32:17 AM by Atunah »

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
Atunah, I know what you mean. I want to be transported to another place and time most of the time too and I think that's why I love historicals so much!

What an impressive array of books you have coming up. I need to get on my list. I have my hundred here, so I'll be busy too, but not as busy as you! LOL.

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
That's a lot of books, Atunah.  You have great reading tastes  :D

I too prefer historicals over contemps.  I think it's the escapist factor but also I think the romance is more intense in an historical setting.  There are so many more reasons why a hero and heroine can't be together in history that I find the conflicts more believable.  Although I do enjoy the odd Crusie here and there although Bet Me wasn't my favourite of hers.  Fast Women was great.
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »
Yeah, those books should get me through a month  ;D. I forgot I also have to lendable books I need to accept first so those have to be worked in.

I do think there is something about not reading about blackberries, high heels and short skirts, pickup lines at the local bar.
I mean who wants to read about some over the top high powered attorney chick breaking a nail, when you can be swept away by a Duke a Pirate, a Rogue a Captain, a Born in a Drainpipe hero.  ;D

You are right about the conflicts. I mean in Contempo there aren't any taboos much anymore, unless you area Greek Typhoons pregnant viriginal Bride to be that is  :D

I try to imagine how life might have been then. People always talk about the lack of baths, I think my main problem would have been the lack of underwear  :o :o. At least at some point women got to wear something, but still with a huge slit in there so it might as well have been nothing. No panties  :o :o. And riding side saddle, I mean what the heck  :D.

Offline Miriam Minger

• View Profile
    • Walker Publishing
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
Atunah, I know what you mean. I want to be transported to another place and time most of the time too and I think that's why I love historicals so much!

What an impressive array of books you have coming up. I need to get on my list. I have my hundred here, so I'll be busy too, but not as busy as you! LOL.

Wow, I'm impressed, too!  :)  I'm so glad to see one of my books on your list, Atunah--THE PAGAN'S PRIZE.  I loved writing that book, which is set in medieval Russia.  That's why I wrote historical romance, to be transported to another place and time.  

Has anyone been watching Game of Thrones and seen Khal Drogo?!!!?  Talk about a historical romance hero!  He reminds me of Rurik in THE PAGAN'S PRIZE though Rurik is a Viking and blond.  Oh my goodness...be still my heart.   :D

Miriam Minger

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:19:39 PM by Miriam Minger »
With Miriam Minger, youre assured of a good read!~Heartland Critiques

Website Facebook Amazon US Amazon UK

Offline gina1230

• Amarillo, Tx
  • Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
Historicals are my all-time favorite reads, followed closely by paranormals.  But every now and then, I've just gotta throw something else in to mix things up a bit.