Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 310965 times)  

Offline T.L. Haddix

• Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2011, 03:16:26 PM »
Sondrae, thank you! I'll definitely be checking those authors out. 

Offline Miriam Minger

• View Profile
    • Walker Publishing
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
And Miriam, that is very cool - Sabrina Jeffries, no kidding?  I've seen Courtney Milan hanging about these parts, and yes - had a fan "OMG!" moment.  As to your own stuff, Miriam - are you Regency-ish or medieval?

I just saw this post, T.L., so apologies for the delay in answering.  Five of my historical romances are medievals:  Twin Passions (Viking!), Captive Rose (Crusades), The Pagan's Prize (Vikings in Russia!), Wild Angel (medieval Ireland), and Wild Roses (sequel to Wild Angel). 

So for all you Viking fans out there, Twin Passions and The Pagan's Prize will be just your goblet of mead!  :)

Two of my other 5 historicals are Regency era:  Secrets of Midnight and the sequel, My Runaway Heart.  My other 3 are A Hint of Rapture (Scotland in 1746), Stolen Splendor (mid 1700s in Vienna, Austria), and Defiant Impostor (pre-Revolution Tidewater Virginia). 

Thanks for asking!  :)

Miriam Minger
With Miriam Minger, youre assured of a good read!~Heartland Critiques

Website Facebook Amazon US Amazon UK

Offline Grace Elliot

• London
  • Grace Elliot - Fall in Love with History
    • View Profile
    • Grace Elliot- Fall in Love with History.
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2011, 01:51:46 AM »
OOOHHH, Atunah, the teeth issue...didn't think about that. I too have had tons of work on my mouth (and I need work now)...I'd have gone crazy.

Ahhh, teeth. I was watching The Tudors on DVD last night and all the main characters teeth were dazzling white....very jarring. I suppose accuracy isnt what The Tudors is about, ....which begs the question why authors dont mention bad teeth more often, when describing characters....

Fall in Love with History
Grace Elliot | Blog | Google Plus | Facebook

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
  • Member 527
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2011, 05:29:24 AM »
I have a love/hate relationship with this thread.  My wish list is growing like crazy, but my hours in the day to read are not.
deb
Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2011, 06:05:59 AM »
Ahhh, teeth. I was watching The Tudors on DVD last night and all the main characters teeth were dazzling white....very jarring. I suppose accuracy isnt what The Tudors is about, ....which begs the question why authors dont mention bad teeth more often, when describing characters....

Lol, The Tudors isn't the most historically accurate show out there but it does have good eye candy  ;D

My villains often have bad teeth or sometimes they're just missing altogether!  Not sure if mentioning one's hero has yellowing teeth will work well in historical romance though.  ;D
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
Grace...I guess I like a tad less historically accurate about some things... please have the men with perfect teeth!  I don't even want him with an overbite. LOL.

CJ, I would think not!

drenee--I couldn't agree with you more!

Miriam, thanks for answering TL's question.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:00:34 AM by Tess St John »

Offline T.L. Haddix

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »
Hey, sorry. I tend to be hit and miss sometimes.  Miriam, thanks - I d/l'd a sample of one of your books - don't have the kindle in front of me right now or I'd say which one - and am looking forward to trying it. 

I read Amanda Quick's Quicksilver last night - it was okay.  Could have used more conflict, I thought, but an okay read overall. 

Offline Adria Townsend

• Home Sweet Stranger under the name Adria Townsend
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
I'm getting a kick out of the teeth discussion.  My historical is set in the Black Forest.  I love the idea of kings and castles, but oh my gosh, the living conditions--yuck!  I keep the reality to a minimum....  Before I settled on the sword for the cover, I was searching for pix or engravings of kings, but they were so unattractive!  Finally I just went with the symbol of power...
J. S.   
Home Sweet Stranger under the name Adria Townsend--full-length contemporary romance and To Conquer the Heart of a King under the name J. S. Laurenz--short historical romance
J. S. Laurenz | Dime Store Cowgrrl Blog

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
TL...Is Amanda Quick Jayne Ann Krentz??? For some reason I want to say yes...

JS, Swords are a great show of power!

I'm reading a book...and I hate to talk bad about an author, so I won't, but it's maudlin! She sits by her ailing family member's side, then the family member dies...the she sleeps for five days in mourning...she wakes to only mourn some more. This should never have the title it does for the book it is!  I'm a bit teed off, but I do like the hero...but this wimpy woman has to go! I'm battling whether to finish it or not! Opinions??

Offline kellymcclymer

• View Profile
    • Kelly McClymer's Blog
Re: Anyone Else a Historical Romace Fan?
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
I am a huge historical romance fan. I prefer those set in Europe. I am not much into the americana and western ones. Not sure why, maybe because I am from Europe myself.  ;D

Mary Jo Putney does lovely non-American and non-England settings. The Wild Child and The China Bride leap to mind, but she has quite a few others.

Kelly McClymer Books
Kelly McClymer | Newsletter | Website

Offline gina1230

• Amarillo, Tx
  • Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

I'm reading a book...and I hate to talk bad about an author, so I won't, but it's maudlin! She sits by her ailing family member's side, then the family member dies...the she sleeps for five days in mourning...she wakes to only mourn some more. This should never have the title it does for the book it is!  I'm a bit teed off, but I do like the hero...but this wimpy woman has to go! I'm battling whether to finish it or not! Opinions??

I have a large TBR pile so if I don't like a book, out it goes, and on to the next.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »
Yep, I'm with you, Gina...I too have a huge TBR pile (not as huge as Atuhah's, but I'm getting there)...I think I'll go through and just read the dialog...I usually do that if I'm not liking the endless boring (or maudlin) description.

Kelly, I think this is third time I've heard The Wild Child in a week...gotta check that out!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2011, 09:06:06 PM »
Oh I loved "The Wild Child". I gave it a A+ on my data sheet  ;D. Funny thing, I read 8 Mary Jo Putney's so far and according to my files, I gave all of them A's. I rate with A-, A and A+. That gives me more rating options. "The Rake" was a good one too by her.

Don't waste your time on a book you just don't even want to read. I slogged through one a while back until I finally had enough and just skimmed so I could at least see how it ends. I have to know that at least, no matter how bad  :D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2011, 05:22:39 AM »
Yep, me too, Atunah...I like to know how stories end.

Offline T.L. Haddix

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Slept for five days? Hmmmmm.....  I'd move on. 

Jayne Ann Krentz - Amanda Quick - Jayne Castle.  Contemporary - historical - futuristic.  Same author. ;)

I just picked up The Hanover Square Affair. 

It's by Jennifer Ashley, someone said, but under a different pen name - Ashley Gardner.  It looked interesting, it's 99 cents.  I was very bold and brave, didn't even sample. 

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
Let me know how you like it, TL...looks interesting!

Offline Sondrae Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
I'm with so many others here. If a book isn't doing it for me, I start skimming. I rarely (although not unheard of) put a book down without at least reading the ending, but I will skim through.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2011, 05:46:43 AM »
Yep, done with the book...I went on Goodreads to see the reviews and some people loved it...but most people agreed with my 'too maudlin' comment!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2011, 08:36:55 AM »
Grace Burrowes The Heir is only 89 cents today   :o. I totally loved this one so snap it up while its that cheap.

Offline cork_dork_mom

• I read therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
Grace Burrowes The Heir is only 89 cents today   :o. I totally loved this one so snap it up while its that cheap.

Awesome! Just found two of her books, one for .99 and one for .89. YAY! I'm loving these threads... now if only I could waive my magic wand to get my house clean & laundry done so I have more time to read! And oh yea, never depleting amount on the ol' Amazon gift card!

Offline Tatiana

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »

Thank you for the recommendation. I bought it and look forward to reading it.
From the manner in which a woman draws her thread at every stitch of her needlework, any other woman can surmise her thoughts.  ~Honore de Balzac

Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by.  Life is like that - one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »
Awesome! Just found two of her books, one for .99 and one for .89. YAY! I'm loving these threads... now if only I could waive my magic wand to get my house clean & laundry done so I have more time to read! And oh yea, never depleting amount on the ol' Amazon gift card!

The Heir is a wonderful book!  What else did you find of hers for .99?  I only find The Heir and a pre-order for June at $5.59 (for kindle anyway).
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
That is what I was wondering, I already pre ordered her "Soldier", but I think that is all she has.  ???

Offline T.L. Haddix

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »
Cork-Dork-Mom, we just got a Roomba vacuum cleaner.  It works while I... well, while I work, actually, but still - I'm not doing the vacuuming!

Will definitely look at the Grace Burrowes thing.  Thanks!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
I thought it would be fun to list books we are planning to buy, or have pre ordered.
I just kind of started the pre ordering, its kind of fun  ;D. I also won a $50 GC from Lendle.me so I went to town  :D

Here are the books I pre ordered so far.

There are some that I am still waiting for the clickety link to appear on Amazon like Judith James new one. I loved Broken Wing and The Highland Rebel by her and will be reading the Libertine's Kiss soon. So far "The King's Courtesan" is only listed as a paperback pre order. That is why I have a shelf on Goodreads where I add all the books coming up that I might be interested in and then when I want to pre order I also put them on the pre order shelf. I need some organisation help with all these books or I'll go insane  :D

eta: I don't even know if it does any good putting in the Kindleboard links on pre orders. Do they count once they come available? I have no clue  ???
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:35:09 AM by Atunah »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac