Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 310966 times)  

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
Thanks Atunah! I wasn't even aware the third book in the series by Jennifer Ashley was available. I can only hope it is as good as Lord Ian. I'm off to grab The Many Sins of Lord Cameron.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »
Great activity this morning!  I've never heard of Grace Burrowes, Atuhah (and great list, btw!). Thanks for the heads up, Corkadork, I'm off with Tatiana and Crebeil to look for the book. TL, vacuuming will have to wait! Chipolte...you must have enjoyed the first two if you're going back for the third of Ms. Ashley's--I'll check her out today too!

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
Yes Tess St. John, I think The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley is in my top ten of all time although I found Lord Ian, well... maddening! Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage was good but it was one of those books where you just want to grab the hero and heroine and scream, "Just talk to each other you lunkheads!!!" LOL

I've never heard of Grace Burrowes either Atunah! I will check her out. It looks like the new Julia Quinn Smith-Smythe book will be available at the end of this month. I just hope one of the characters will be reading a book about someone getting pecked to death by pigeons.  :D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
The thing that grabbed me about The Heir-Grace Burrowes was that we got the hero's side. I mean usually most novels are from the perspective of the heroine. But in this book, you get a real sense of what makes the hero tick. It was different in that way.
I was impressed with her first effort that I pre ordered her next one without much thought.

I loved Lord Ian, liked Isabella's story and I hope Cameron's is good.

I am also waiting to pre order Sarah Macleans new start of a series. Her lates is one of my favorite of all times and that was teh 3rd in the series so I have high hopes there.

I just finished To love a Thief by Mia Marlowe and It was ok, I didn't love it though. I borrowed it and I am glad as the Kindle version is like 9.52. It just never clicked for me.

Started Courtney Milans Trial by Desire and like it a lot already. I read the prequel to it and love it too. I do like the way she writes. Very alive characters. I think that is what is important to me as a reader. I need to be able to care about the characters, feel their pain, feel their joy.

I am pretty easy to please though  ;D

I absolutely love the magic that you feel when you pick up a book and you realize its a good one. There is just nothing like it is there.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
Oh, thanks Chipolte...I've been looking for Julia's book!!!  Can't wait! (and I too don't like a h/h who don't communicate),

Atunah, girl, I gotta go by your goodreads page and see how many book are on your shelf! And I agree, there is nothing better than realizing you're reading a great book--a book that transports you to another place and time! That's what I read for...the escape. I have a wonderful life, but every once in a while I want to live in someone else's world!

Offline Miriam Minger

• View Profile
    • Walker Publishing
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »
Miriam, thanks - I d/l'd a sample of one of your books - don't have the kindle in front of me right now or I'd say which one - and am looking forward to trying it. 

Hope you enjoy it, T.L.!

Miriam Minger
With Miriam Minger, youre assured of a good read!~Heartland Critiques

Website Facebook Amazon US Amazon UK

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »
Since I have to wait until the end of the month for JQ's new one, I'll be reading a few on my TBR shelf...The first will be Seduce Me, by Robyn DeHart. Has this been mentioned yet? Has anyone read it?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »
I was just going to say I never heard of Robyn DeHart, but a look at my Goodreads shelf tells me I send a sample to my Kindle at some point and moved it to the up next shelf.  ;D

I am really loving Goodreads to keep track of about anything. I have a shelf where I put every book I send a sample to my Kindle at any point.

Keeps me from having a stack of paper scraps on my desk with all my notes  :D

Offline VioletVal

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:23 AM »
I read Seduce Me and really enjoyed it.  It has both adventure and romance.

Offline T.L. Haddix

• Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2011, 11:56:14 AM »
Sarah Maclean also has a YA book entitled "The Season" that is good.  Definitely worth reading, if you haven't already.

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2011, 11:58:16 AM »
That is another good subject Atunah - how does everyone else keep track of what they read? I did try Goodreads but it seemed to take me really long to keep track of stuff. It took me days just to add in my cookbook list. Now for my cookbook list, I finally just went to Shelfari and quickly imported everything from my Amazon purchases. I still have to go back and add in manually the cookbooks I didn't purchase through Amazon.

For romances I just keep a computer file with all the books I read each year and a basic rating for each book. I started in 2010 so I can go back each year and figure out what I have read. I also keep the DNF (did not finish) listings with the reason why in the same file.

I keep a file of authors I don't want to read again although those are mostly contemporary romance authors. This file is less important now than I'm reading mostly library ebooks. It used to annoy me a lot when I bought a new book by an author I didn't like previously. :) I'm more likely to give the author another try with a library ebook.

I also have a little notebook near the computer with new authors and books I want to try. I'll jot books down when I read recommendations here or lists of RITA award winners but my main source of TBR books is from the romance reader/review blogs I like.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Glad I am not the only list lady  :D. I have a notebook and I basically write down the title, author and a short commentary and the rating as soon as I finish the book. Then when I put all the data into my spreadsheets, I don't have to rack my brain at the details.  :D. I do them in like monthly and since I try to read about 15 books a month, I need to jolt it down right away. Stuff seems to fall out of my brain quicker now then when I was in my 20's.

I print my spreadsheet out every couple of months or so and its only books I read on Kinde for now so about 400 since end of 2008.

I still have some notes around the desk, but I prefer somehow Goodreads to Shelfari, even though I started with Shelfari. I think its the shelfs. They are like my place holder. If someone mentions a book somewhere and it sounds interesting, I can just quickly add it to a recommendation shelf on goodreads and go back later when I have time.

Its also fun to look at others shelfs, especially those that keep one for each trope.

I don't have access to library ebooks yet. I mean I have access, but I can't read them yet until they allow it on Kindle. I can't read books on anything backlit with my eyes. I also don't see a large list of romance on my local library, especially historicals. It seems to be mostly contempo and suspense stuff which I don't enjoy a whole lot.

T.L., I did see that book of Sarah Maclean, but I am one of those weird ones that cannot ready YA books. I stay away from them, don't even want to look at them. Just not my thing. I did read the Twilight books and I think I filled my need of YA for the rest of my life  :D. I am just not into reading about teenagers. I was glad when I made it through that time, I don't want to relive it  :D. I am prejudice on that I admit. I just like some kind of tension in my romance and YA isn't going to get it done for me.

I can't even remember if they had that category when I was younger. I always just read adult books I think.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
I'm a list maker, but I've never thought to list all the books I read. I don't think I can even think of them all. I put up some I remembered on Goodreads...although I'm not sure how to pull up lists there. Atunah and Chipolte, you ladies impress me! You're so organized!

Thanks, Violet, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The Season, got it, TL.

Offline ginaf20697

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »
Here's the link for an Mac program I keep meaning to try. You can actually scan the barcodes so it's really easy to keep track.

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
I love keeping lists but don't do it as much as I used to these days for books I've read.  Maybe that's because I don't read as much any more  :'(

my main source of TBR books is from the romance reader/review blogs I like.

Chipotle, can you tell us which blogs you follow to find romance recs.  I've found some great blogs but also some I just don't agree with their reviews. 
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2011, 06:08:25 AM »
Gina, I'm not a mac, but thanks for mentioning that here.

CJ, again, I respect anyone who makes lists!

Has anyone read Jule Garwood's historicals?  I really liked The Wedding, that was the first book I read set in 1100 and violence kinda got to me, but her humor had me smiling through most of the book.

Offline Tatiana

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2011, 07:31:43 AM »
I've  read all of Julie Garwood's historicals.
From the manner in which a woman draws her thread at every stitch of her needlework, any other woman can surmise her thoughts.  ~Honore de Balzac

Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by.  Life is like that - one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »
I been reading the Julie Garwood slowly as there aren't as many and she isn't writing Historicals anymore. Once they gone they gone so to speak  :D

I loved The Secret, its an enchanting book. Ransom is also great. Those are #1 and #2 in the Lairds series.
I also enjoyed The Lion's Lady but I thougth Guardian Angel was just ok, didn't love it. Still better than most stuff out there for its Julie Garwood  ;D

Another author I just recently found is Anne Gracie. Really love the 3 books I read of her so far.

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
I've only read one Julie Garwood but I liked it - Castles. I need to read some more.

Here are the romance blogs I read - I don't always agree with the reviews either but I can generally tell from reading a review if it is the sort of subject matter I'm interested in.

All About Romance News and Commentary - http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/ Seems to have the most reviews

Dear Author - http://dearauthor.com/ Probably my favorite reviews although I'm not interested in the YA stuff

SBTB - http://www.smartb*tchestrashybooks.com/index.php/ Funny, good industry info, LOVE the cover humor segments

True Romance (Borders) - http://bordersblog.com/trueromance/  Good author interviews

Gossamer Obsessions - http://gossamerobsessions.blogspot.com/ Hilarious, especially the Romance Convention Checklist

Let me know if you know of any other good ones!

Offline ginaf20697

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »
Don't forget http://www.mrsgiggles.com/

She has a low tolerance for the stupid which I like.

Offline T.L. Haddix

• Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Atunah, I was hesitant to read it, as well, and for the same reason.  However, I hit a dry spell, couldn't find anything else to read, and picked it up at the library.  Though the characters are young, they aren't horribly so - it really reads more as a mild/clean romance than a YA book, I think.  I understand completely if you can't bring yourself to look at it, but you might be surprised by this one. 

Oh, Twilight?  I guess one of these days I'm going to have to break down and read the darned thing.  Just because I miss cultural references to the book.  With my luck, I'll like it.  HA!

I read - crud, what was it?  The Heir! (shew, slow brain day).

I'm not sure this link takes you to the Kindle edition, even though it's supposed to.  First off, this book was long - I was pleasantly surprised by that.  Second, it was good, though I think it could have wrapped up a little sooner than it did.  Still, I'll definitely be adding Grace Burrowes to my 'authors to watch' list. 

I like the layout of shelfari much better than Goodreads.  I get so confused on Goodreads - but I'm going to make a concerted effort to try.  I also have software called Book Collector that I found before I discovered GR and SF.  It's a database you can load your books into, or rather list the books you've read.  Anyhow, you can export from BC into GR and SF.  It's not uber-easy, but it's not too difficult, either, if this technopeasant can figure it out. 

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »
Chipotle, thanks for the blog recs.  There's 2 on your list that I didn't know about so I'll go and check them out.  Dear Author is also my favorite site too.

Another author I just recently found is Anne Gracie. Really love the 3 books I read of her so far.

Anne Gracie's books are delightful.  I highly recommend them too.
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline gina1230

• Amarillo, Tx
  • Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »

I like the layout of shelfari much better than Goodreads.  I get so confused on Goodreads - but I'm going to make a concerted effort to try.  I also have software called Book Collector that I found before I discovered GR and SF.  It's a database you can load your books into, or rather list the books you've read.  Anyhow, you can export from BC into GR and SF.  It's not uber-easy, but it's not too difficult, either, if this technopeasant can figure it out. 

I use Book Collector too and love it.  I keep all the books I own or have read on this.  I also use FictFact to track my series.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
Tatiana...I think I need to read more of them!

I understand, Atunah, you want to savor them!

Oh, I read Castles, chipolte...loved it!

Gina, I've never heard of Mrs. Giggles, but I her name kinda brings a smile to my face!

I haven't tried Shelfari, TL...I'll have to check it out.

CJ, I'll be checking those blogs too!

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »
I was going through putting books on my Goodreads' shelf and came across Christina Dodd's books.  Is In My Wildest Dreams...the story with Throckmorton and the gardener's daughter (was her name Celeste)? Espionage, secrets, and spies, oh my! I loved that story, but I'm not positive that was the title.