Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 317956 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #4850 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
That authors other names are Andrea Pickens and Cara Elliot, I have seen books there. They are with Grand Central and NAL. And those are HR. I actually own a older Pickens from 1998 which was a freebie at some point. Signet Regency. So very established author.

Crebel, that other series is much more affordable. Those are put out by the author herself it looks like, no wonder.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #4851 on: May 24, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
One of today's Kindle Daily Deals, on sale for $1.99.  I've been on the waiting list from my library for months, at this price I went ahead and bought it.

Darn, I missed the deal!  :(

Were you on hold for the Kindle version? My libraries only have the audiobook versions available, so I was thinking that maybe it wasn't released to overdrive in ebook format?

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: May 24, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

Were you on hold for the Kindle version? My libraries only have the audiobook versions available, so I was thinking that maybe it wasn't released to overdrive in ebook format?
that one is a odd one. It does not appear on the overdrive site as available in ebook, only audio. 2 of my libraries have the audio. I own this one, but I ended up getting it from the harlequin site with the free points one can earn there. Then I liberated it and converted to mobi so I can read on my kindle. Otherwise, I would have bought it on the sale just for ease. But I already have it on my device now.
Its unusual for a avon title to not have a ebook version in overdrive. 

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #4853 on: May 24, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
that one is a odd one. It does not appear on the overdrive site as available in ebook, only audio. 2 of my libraries have the audio. I own this one, but I ended up getting it from the harlequin site with the free points one can earn there. Then I liberated it and converted to mobi so I can read on my kindle. Otherwise, I would have bought it on the sale just for ease. But I already have it on my device now.
Its unusual for a avon title to not have a ebook version in overdrive.

I thought that was odd too! It's available at 3 of my libraries, audio version only. I keep checking, thinking they'll eventually offer the eBook, but nothing yet.  :(

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: May 24, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »

Had to go back and look.  You're right, it was the audio version I had on hold.  I would have been disappointed when it came available since I don't do audiobooks; just didn't pay enough attention.  Sorry you missed the sale.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline sherry-mauro

• Oakland
  • Retired Editor Sherry Mauro, Former Author Sherry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: May 24, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
Yes, I love this genre.
Sincerely,
Retired Editor Sherry Mauro, Former Author Sherry Hall Mauro

Retired Editor Sherry Mauro, Former Author Sherry Hall Mauro
Sherry Mauro

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #4856 on: May 24, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
Had to go back and look.  You're right, it was the audio version I had on hold.  I would have been disappointed when it came available since I don't do audiobooks; just didn't pay enough attention.  Sorry you missed the sale.
Good thing that you picked it up through the deal rather than the long wait for your turn, only to find out it was an audiobook!  ??? That would have been a disappointment!

Thanks! Sorry I missed the sale too, but honestly I already have so many books ahead of me to read. I guess I just don't like missing out on a bargain, lol!  ;)

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #4857 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
I came across another book that may only be released to Overdrive in audio format.  I've been watching my libraries for and couldn't even find it listed to make a recommendation for purchase. I went to Overdrive's website and found it listed there, but only as an audiobook. I sure hope that only offering audio format to Overdrive isn't the new thing!  ???

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: May 28, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
Kelly Bowen's latest is only available at my two Overdrive libraries in audio format. I pout every time I check it, although, if either library did purchase it in an ebook format I'll be notified, so I dunno why I keep checking.

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: May 28, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4860 on: June 03, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
Found this on sale for 99 cents

I have read a couple by this author and liked them. This was published with Berkley back in 2003 and she also writes for harlequin historical. Romantic times called it a charming regency ghost busters. So I got it.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: June 12, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »
I found this sale today.  The book has mixed reviews (a good thing, IMO), but an overall 4* rating.  For $1.99, I added it to the TBR pile.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: June 12, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
I read all 3 of that "Stud" trilogy. This is the first and I gave it 5 stars.  ;D. The second 4 and the 3rd also 5 stars. So I really liked that series.

And for fun, if you read the series, or want to know a tad about it. Tessa Dare made a really funny trailer about the series with  her mac book and her childrens toys.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DzoNkomQ0

Its not spoilerish, just a trailer and kind of a overview of the series. Its hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:23:09 AM by Atunah »

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: June 12, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
And for fun, if you read the series, or want to know a tad about it. Tessa Dare made a really funny trailer about the series with  her mac book and her childrens toys.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DzoNkomQ0

Its not spoilerish, just a trailer and kind of a overview of the series. Its hilarious.

I remember that trailer, but I never did read the books. Maybe news the time to start. I've been meaning to catch up on her back list.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: June 12, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »
I read all 3 of that "Stud" trilogy. This is the first and I gave it 5 stars.  ;D. The second 4 and the 3rd also 5 stars. So I really liked that series.

Your ratings/recommendation mean more to me than all the reviews! Really looking forward to it now.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #4865 on: June 12, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
I remember that trailer, but I never did read the books. Maybe news the time to start. I've been meaning to catch up on her back list.

LOL, I remember that trailer too & it was fun watching it again!  I see that I rated them similar to Atunah... 5 stars for the 1st book and 4 stars for the other two books.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: June 13, 2017, 11:22:06 AM »

I'm not sure if I got this recommendation here, but I just got around to reading The Reluctant Duchess which I purchased in February 2016. There are some really critical reviews leading off the verified purchases, but I gave it 4.5 stars in my personal ratings.

Victorian in time (even though it reads pretty Regency in attitudes to me), involves a murder mystery, a few spicy scenes, very independent but socially shy on-the-shelf heroine who isn't afraid to stand up to a Duke that was once engaged to her sister. It seems to be a standalone and I don't see any indication of a continuing series with other characters. Reasonably priced at $4.99 for a Random House LLC book.

This is the first Sharon Cullen book I have read, but I will check out some of her others during my next buying spree. 

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: June 17, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
I'm not familiar with this author or series, but thought it sounded pretty good and is currently free.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
Hmmm, I seem to be talking to myself in here lately! Where is everyone?

Just want to mention another series from the back of my TBR pile that I am really enjoying.  Excellent historical detail without being heavy-handed. Plenty of suspense and intrigue and a second-chance romance.  Four-and-a-half stars in my personal ratings. It would have been five-stars but I wish the ending had been fleshed out a little more.  I immediately bought and have started book 2 and am having a hard time putting it down to get things done I should be working on!  I can't imagine I won't go directly to Book 3 when I finish. I recommend adding them to your pile or moving them up if you haven't already read them.

Book 1       Book 2       Book 3   

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: June 22, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
Lurking! :D

I've read the first two books and enjoyed them.

I just finished

but wasn't thrilled with the physical violence towards women in the book.  :(

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: June 22, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »
Hmmm, I seem to be talking to myself in here lately! Where is everyone?

Just want to mention another series from the back of my TBR pile that I am really enjoying.  Excellent historical detail without being heavy-handed. Plenty of suspense and intrigue and a second-chance romance.  Four-and-a-half stars in my personal ratings. It would have been five-stars but I wish the ending had been fleshed out a little more.  I immediately bought and have started book 2 and am having a hard time putting it down to get things done I should be working on!  I can't imagine I won't go directly to Book 3 when I finish. I recommend adding them to your pile or moving them up if you haven't already read them.

Book 1       Book 2       Book 3   
High praise indeed. I just checked out the first and once I finish a couple of library loans, I'll get right on it.  ;D
never heard of this author. Always glad to find new ones.

I just finished

I had to look as I know there was something about this one I didn't like so much and I think it was the same issue you had. It kind of turned dark, when it looked like a funny and lighthearted read by the cover and blurb. Whatever cover it had at the time. That one too looks playful. It just didn't work for me.

I finished a very strange book.

If you like different, this is it. It had some great cray cray in it. Sometimes one needs some cray cray.  ;D. Heroine is an inventor of flying machines and speaking boxes. Hero is a duke kind of working for England, against the dreaded french. Heroine has no social skills at all. Total scatter brain. Some funny, some bizarre, some wtf-ery. It was entertaining, but the flowery sex scenes pulled it down to a 3.5 for me. I think maybe they were more flowery then, its Laura Kinsale.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: June 22, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »

I just finished

Rats, I have this one somewhere in the TBR pile.  It will probably keep getting moved to the bottom now.  It wasn't that long ago I bought it and now I can't figure out why after looking back at existing reviews.  Rape scenes are an automatic no for me in HR.  Thanks for the warning.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: June 22, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
I had to look as I know there was something about this one I didn't like so much and I think it was the same issue you had. It kind of turned dark, when it looked like a funny and lighthearted read by the cover and blurb. Whatever cover it had at the time. That one too looks playful. It just didn't work for me.

I had read the Spinster House series from Sally MacKenzie which I enjoyed so thought I'd try her "Naked" series.  It's difficult to want to read anything else in the series after not liking the first book!

I finished a very strange book.

If you like different, this is it. It had some great cray cray in it. Sometimes one needs some cray cray.  ;D. Heroine is an inventor of flying machines and speaking boxes. Hero is a duke kind of working for England, against the dreaded french. Heroine has no social skills at all. Total scatter brain. Some funny, some bizarre, some wtf-ery. It was entertaining, but the flowery sex scenes pulled it down to a 3.5 for me. I think maybe they were more flowery then, its Laura Kinsale.

Oh gees I clicked on that link and realized I bought it June 5 (it was on sale).  I have a thing for smarty pants historical gals.  That was the premise of the first book I ever read by Sarah MacLean and got me reading the rest of her books!

Rats, I have this one somewhere in the TBR pile.  It will probably keep getting moved to the bottom now.  It wasn't that long ago I bought it and now I can't figure out why after looking back at existing reviews.  Rape scenes are an automatic no for me in HR.  Thanks for the warning.

I wouldn't have read it either had I realized it. There's a time and a place for that bit of plot, but not in this sort of romance IMO.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:44:03 AM by readingril »

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #4873 on: June 24, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »

I think generally Kinsale would be too flowery for me these days, but I remember that particular book fondly because of the hedgehog tracks being such an important clue. IMO she wrote some admirably non-typical stories.

Everyone here is probably much more aware than I am, but I'm a Balogh fan and in spite of that have never investigated any of her stories being published with the silhouette covers. Somehow I got it in my head they were atypical Balogh and farces. Yesterday I noticed the title of one was "Dancing with Clara," which rang a bell as someone somewhere saying it was one of their favorites and obviously not in a farcical way, so I tried it, and oh, boy, I now realize I have a whole slew of Baloghs I haven't read. Which I suppose says sometimes being clueless can bring nice surprises.

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: June 25, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
I think generally Kinsale would be too flowery for me these days, but I remember that particular book fondly because of the hedgehog tracks being such an important clue. IMO she wrote some admirably non-typical stories.

Everyone here is probably much more aware than I am, but I'm a Balogh fan and in spite of that have never investigated any of her stories being published with the silhouette covers. Somehow I got it in my head they were atypical Balogh and farces. Yesterday I noticed the title of one was "Dancing with Clara," which rang a bell as someone somewhere saying it was one of their favorites and obviously not in a farcical way, so I tried it, and oh, boy, I now realize I have a whole slew of Baloghs I haven't read. Which I suppose says sometimes being clueless can bring nice surprises.

She is reprinting herself her oldest books which have mostly been unavailable for ages. I think the original publisher's right to them ran out and she is determined to print them herself now. They seem to mostly be pretty good, if you keep in mind that they were written decades ago when she was a very new author. Some of them are understandably awkward attempts and clearly show how her writing has evolved over time. But worth the low prices!