Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 315795 times)  

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #4875 on: June 25, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
I think generally Kinsale would be too flowery for me these days, but I remember that particular book fondly because of the hedgehog tracks being such an important clue. IMO she wrote some admirably non-typical stories.

Everyone here is probably much more aware than I am, but I'm a Balogh fan and in spite of that have never investigated any of her stories being published with the silhouette covers. Somehow I got it in my head they were atypical Balogh and farces. Yesterday I noticed the title of one was "Dancing with Clara," which rang a bell as someone somewhere saying it was one of their favorites and obviously not in a farcical way, so I tried it, and oh, boy, I now realize I have a whole slew of Baloghs I haven't read. Which I suppose says sometimes being clueless can bring nice surprises.

She is reprinting herself her oldest books which have mostly been unavailable for ages. I think the original publisher's right to them ran out and she is determined to print them herself now. They seem to mostly be pretty good, if you keep in mind that they were written decades ago when she was a very new author. Some of them are understandably awkward attempts and clearly show how her writing has evolved over time. But worth the low prices!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: July 03, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
I found the follow up to "Notorious Heiress" Lorraine Heath for a pre-order price of $1.99:

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
For all of you Maggie Fenton fans, she recently released the third book in her trilogy, The Alabaster Hip. It is currently on sale for $0.99.

I thought the first book was hilarious, the second was good, but not as funny, but from reading the sample for the third book, it looks like it is back to the laughs again. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: July 06, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »
With so many books, it totally slipped my mind that the 3rd is out. Thanks for the reminder, I'll be moving it up on the list.

I was like you, 1st was so hilarious, a total gem in that regard. The 2nd like you I liked, but it wasn't as funny as the first.
Funny is so hard I think in HR. Too much and it reads like a farce, or I can't connect the characters as its more like a stage play. Done right is so special.

Let me give a little wrap-up on what I read lately, while I am at it.
I read the 3rd in the Lost Lord series by Putney

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its Putney, don't think I hated a book yet by her. But the older series are still a notch above I think. More epic, more darker, more umpth. If you know what I mean.

Then I read this

I adored the first part of the book. Dangerous "road trip" across the arabian peninsula. I googled some old maps from 1838 to see where they were in relation to Damascus and them going to whats now Saudi Arabia. It was fascinating and just so colorful. Camels, Bedouins, crazy lord playing arab, and the girl in pants trope. And a character from the book really existed, Lady Stanhorpe. I think I got the name right. Its one of those books where I could almost smell the hot burning sand in the desert and where I looked stuff up.
The second half is in England and a bit different. It would have been a 5 star if not for some of the tad shrill actions of the heroine towards the end and also the hero had his "moments". Complicated folks. I wasn't bored a minute and that book is like 400 pages long.

And now I am reading crebel's recommendation.

So far so good, really curious about whats going to happen here. Zebra has some interesting HR, don't hear much about them though. I worry for that publisher.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:05:18 PM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: July 06, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
Waiting for the 3rd Rachael Miles to hit Overdrive, but lately I haven't had good luck with that! :(

The Maggie Fenton book at least is in KU. My latest way to keep track of wanna reads... send a sample to my Kindle, and add to collection KUTBR. Works for me!

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: July 06, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
I use Amazon wishlists for my want to read KU titles. Sorting them by genre. I can access all my wishlists on my kindle from the store. Its also useful to see if something goes out of KU as it has the KU logo next to the title. I also have a wishlist for stuff I am waiting to come up for borrow and at times I see the KU logo pop up then I move it to another wishlist right from the kindle.  ;D

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: July 07, 2017, 03:37:53 AM »
I use Amazon wishlists for my want to read KU titles. Sorting them by genre. I can access all my wishlists on my kindle from the store. Its also useful to see if something goes out of KU as it has the KU logo next to the title. I also have a wishlist for stuff I am waiting to come up for borrow and at times I see the KU logo pop up then I move it to another wishlist right from the kindle.  ;D

That sounds like a good idea! I've never really used Amazon wishlists, every time I've tried they've seemed rather unwieldy to me. :)

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »
For all of you Maggie Fenton fans, she recently released the third book in her trilogy, The Alabaster Hip. It is currently on sale for $0.99.

I thought the first book was hilarious, the second was good, but not as funny, but from reading the sample for the third book, it looks like it is back to the laughs again. I'm looking forward to reading it.

So I finished The Alabaster Hip. I'd say it was halfway between the other two books in terms of humor. I remember the first as being "fall out of your chair laughing" funny, while the second was totally serious. If you've already read one or two of the other books, I think you'd really enjoy it. If you haven't read them, you might be a bit lost as the characters from the other books really get involved in the second half of this one. My biggest complaint is that it was inconsistent. The first half was great, the second half lost its way and veered off a bit. Too many side characters and not enough focus on the main romance in the second half. I'd still recommend it, especially since it's still only $0.99 and I absolutely loved the hero. He was totally a passionate poet, with his heart on his sleeve, very unlike the usual arrogant, taciturn nobleman.

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #4883 on: July 11, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
The first half was great, the second half lost its way and veered off a bit.

That's how I felt too. The first half was great, the second not so much.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: July 14, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
Anyone familiar with this author or series?

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: July 14, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Never heard of it. I'll look it up some more on goodreads. What does concern me is the emphasis on sex. The subtitle "Sex and the season" and looking at the featured blog reviews they come from steamy book mama, delightful dirty reads, etc. I don't mind some steam in my HR, obviously. But all those mentioning of hot steamy sex just seem more like erotic romance.

Some of the other stuff the author has written is erotica. I see some other series and lots of mention of sex in the review. Hot sex, hot sex.

It really doesn't match the cover either, the reviews and the bloggers and all that. Even the other series by this author do not look "sexy" if you know what I mean.

If this one was KU, I might take one for the team. But these are 5.99 and 7.99. Waterhouse press, never heard of that. Looking it up it was founded by Meredith Wild, which I think writes erotic romance. IN the vein of 50 shades. Most file it as erotica on goodreads. And most of the authors on that roster write that stuff. Odd for HR to be in that mix.

Someone is going to have to take one for the team.  :P

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: July 14, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »
Thanks, Atunah.  I thought it seemed odd, but that maybe I was overthinking it.  Just in the time between posting the link and now, the cover of the paperback version has changed from a pretty obvious (to me, anyway) erotic/erotica romance cover and now it matches the more sedate cover of the e-book.

I just couldn't imagine a "#1 New York Times Bestselling Author" of HR who I'd never heard of (my doesn't that sound pretentious of me??). ;D

I don't think I'm the one willing to take one for the team this time. I do like the cover, though - made me look!

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: July 20, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
Crebel reminded me that I never came back to say how I liked

Weird thing is, I could have sworn I made a post about it and another book I read since. Its kind of creepy that I remember something that apparently never happened. Is this what getting old is like?  :o

Anywho, I did enjoy it and gave it 4 stars. The end wasn't totally satisfying for the relationship of the H/h. I would have liked a bit more something, more obvious commitment from the hero, or some such thing. But I want to know what happens in the next. I just don't always read one after the other in a series. Sometimes I do, but its more rare. It helps me to keep my mood up. I actually just checked out the 2nd as its just become available at my library. So I 'll get to it soon. I have 3 week checkouts on that library.

I also read this

And I gave it 5 star. 4.5 rounded up. It turned out to be better than I thought it would be starting out. I thought at first the heroine might be one of these annoying screeching banjees throughout, but it was not so. Thankfully. I really enjoyed the setting on this, civil war and having the hero from the north and the heroine from the south. But thankfully she is not a gone with the wind type heroine, those I can't stand. It was quite a gem for me to find in KU. I think someone on amazon romance forum recommended that as I had it in my KU wishlist. I thought it was really well done and very very entertaining. Great hero and great heroine.

I have now started

and its making me smile already. This author really does have a gift. The characters just come alive right from the beginning and you get into the story and setting. Not sure what that is called in technical jumbo jumbo, but this author has it. I think Rachael Miles also has it. It makes books a breeze to read, but not that they aren't deep, just that one is so in the book and the characters are real people, that reading just seems to go faster. If that makes any sense.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: July 20, 2017, 09:17:49 AM »

I also read this

And I gave it 5 star. 4.5 rounded up. It turned out to be better than I thought it would be starting out. I thought at first the heroine might be one of these annoying screeching banjees throughout, but it was not so. Thankfully. I really enjoyed the setting on this, civil war and having the hero from the north and the heroine from the south. But thankfully she is not a gone with the wind type heroine, those I can't stand. It was quite a gem for me to find in KU. I think someone on amazon romance forum recommended that as I had it in my KU wishlist. I thought it was really well done and very very entertaining. Great hero and great heroine.

I had no idea that Cheryl Reavis wrote a couple of historicals. I've read some of her contemporaries (a couple of old Harlequin Special Editions and a few standalones) and adored them. I think I stumbled across her because her contemporaries tend to feature older main characters and those are a preference of mine but really hard to find. I rated all of them 4.5 stars. She has a real gift for fleshing out her characters and plots without being wordy plus her books have really good pacing. Her books tend to be in the 200-250 page range, but there is so much plot and characterization in them that you would swear they are longer.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: July 20, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »
I'm just finishing The Madness of Viscount Atherbourne by Elisa Braden and really enjoying this series. I started with the second book, The Truth About Cads and Dukes, then went back to read this one which is the first in the series. The fourth book, The Devil Is a Marquess, is currently on sale for $0.99 so I grabbed it yesterday. Books 1-3 have all been on sale for $0.99 in the past year. The one I just bought features an anti-hero type who did some pretty despicable things in the previous books so I'm interested to see how well the author redeems him.

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #4890 on: July 21, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »

And I gave it 5 star. 4.5 rounded up. It turned out to be better than I thought it would be starting out.

Thanks for mentioning this one, Atunah. I finished it last night and liked it better than anything I've read for a while. Like most romances (books in general, probably), I liked the beginning more than the end, had to keep reminding myself how young they both were to swallow some of the second half tstl stuff. Still, good overall, and needless to say, I liked the setting better than Regency.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #4891 on: July 21, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »
I also read this

Thanks for the recommendation, added it to my tbr pile!

I recently read and loved it. Just realized that this was my 1st time reading Paula Quinn!  :o

Also recently read and enjoyed it. Though, it took me a little while to remember the characters & such since it was 3 years since the previous installment.

Just starting . I don't really recall much about about book 2, but book #1 did stick with me & I remember enjoying that one.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this one, Atunah. I finished it last night and liked it better than anything I've read for a while. Like most romances (books in general, probably), I liked the beginning more than the end, had to keep reminding myself how young they both were to swallow some of the second half tstl stuff. Still, good overall, and needless to say, I liked the setting better than Regency.
Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like you been having a bad time lately finding stuff you enjoy to read. I had a few quibbles also, but overall I just enjoyed the heck out of it. I too loved the setting. I like regency also, but its nice to have something different. There doesn't seem to be a lot of HR in that time period though. Some older stuff, which often can lean to the purple.

Thanks for the recommendation, added it to my tbr pile!

I recently read and loved it. Just realized that this was my 1st time reading Paula Quinn!  :o

Also recently read and enjoyed it. Though, it took me a little while to remember the characters & such since it was 3 years since the previous installment.

Just starting . I don't really recall much about about book 2, but book #1 did stick with me & I remember enjoying that one.
Funny, I can' recall much about the 2nd Fenton either. I liked it fine, but wasn't as memorable as the first. The 3rd I think is more memorable than the 2nd was for sure. With that hero and heroine.  :D

I loved that Quinn too. It had so many feels from heartbreaking to joy to everything in between. From what I remember. Its been 7 years since I read it. Its one of those epic highlander stories.

Highland Rebel by Judith James is another I totally loved for its epic-ness and adventure story.

Been a while also since I read it.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: July 23, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »
Since I am at the 11-month anniversary of when I first started noticing the "blue-dress lady" books inundating Romance:Historical Romance:Regency:Last 30 Days, I had a look through again this afternoon and thought I'd provide the current listings (along with some facts).  The first 7 are all continual repeats to the Last 30 Days filter going back to when I first started noticing in August 2016.

KU, 48 pages, ranking in Top 2,500 of both Regency and Victorian, 8 reviews

KU, 2024 pages, ranked under 1,200 in Regency and under 4,000 in Sports (!), 1 review

KU, 1840 pages, NO rank, 0 reviews

KU, 2061 pages, under 11,000 in both Regency and Anthologies, 0 reviews

KU and currently Free to buy, 2033 pages, #51 Regency; #99 Military; #197 Rom Com and #2307 in Free in Kindle, 0 reviews

KU and currently Free to buy, 2073 pages, #60 Regency; #21 Historical Fiction:Women's Fiction; #183 Contemporary Fiction:Women's Fiction; #2810 Free in Kindle; 0 reviews

KU, 1778 pages, NO rank, 0 reviews

I gave up on paying attention to the repeats last March after watching them for 6 months. So these 3 books are first-timers for my blue-lady lists and I have no idea whether they were previously on the 30-days lists.

KU, 2186 pages, ranked under 10,000 in both Regency and Anthologies, 0 reviews

KU, 1191 pages, #7200 Regency; #4982 Anthologies, 0 reviews

KU, 1036 pages, NO rank, 0 reviews

I really started looking today after following the WC thread about whether Amazon is starting to crack down on "page-busting" KU books that are scamming the page-read payment system.  I am NOT saying any of these books are or are not scams, but they do have some interesting characteristics in common, don't they?

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: July 23, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
I call them what they are, full on scammy. I checked them and its full of stuffed "books" not even the same genres. So the clean romance will have rock star garbage in it, the other "HR" had a long list of other "romance" titles listed from any and all romance subgenres. Others have a short in the beginning, badly written and the rest is stuffed full of badly written porn. Its all scammy. They stuff the "books", they stuff the keywords, they are getting on  my nerves clogging up the listings for HR. With all this garbage is hard to browse anything anymore. And I like KU, but there is no point in browsing. I just add stuff to my wishlists.

Look how long you have been finding these blue lady "books". They just keep republishing this garbage over and over and over. Doesn't seem like Amazon cares much.  :(

I really miss the days where I just browsed the store for HR. I would find stuff that way. Interesting stuff. That ended a couple of years ago sadly. For me it was a joy then. Scammers ruin it for everyone.

But the blue lady is amusing so its fun to see all those covers you keep finding. She should be so rich and rolling in the dough as much as her body is on covers. That must be a record of some kind.  :P

I am reading the latest in the Lorraine Heath series right now.

So far so good.

I finished

The first half would have been a 5 star, it was really good. It lost some steam a bit in the second half. Like 50-60% in or therabouts. I liked the first half better than the second. So overall its a 4. Still very good. I think it will be impossible to ever top the first in that series though.  ;D. I did like it better than the 2nd a bit.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: July 23, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
Mary Balogh's Someone to Love is currently $1.99!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: July 24, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »
So: you can judge a book by it's cover. If it has the blue dress lady, don't buy it because it's crap. Works for me. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: July 24, 2017, 09:29:20 AM »
 :P

Sadly, I have seen at least 2 established authors that have the blue lady. Or at least they did at the time, they had it before this swarm of scamlets came about. I was going to check, but for the life of me I can't get my brain to work today. Its like the name is right there, I can almost see it on the cover, but nope, can't fish it out of my softdrive.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
Anna Lee Huber's short story about Lady Darby, A Pressing Engagement has the blue-dress lady on the cover.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: July 24, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
:P

Sadly, I have seen at least 2 established authors that have the blue lady. Or at least they did at the time, they had it before this swarm of scamlets came about. I was going to check, but for the life of me I can't get my brain to work today. Its like the name is right there, I can almost see it on the cover, but nope, can't fish it out of my softdrive.

The other "real" books we've found since watching these are:

I'm sure in another week more of the "repeat" offenders to the 30-day list will be republished once again.

eta:  Forgot the one where Flavia is not alone on the cover, a 2011 book by Brenda Hiatt

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:51:19 PM by crebel »