by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 7762

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 313335 times)  

Offline gina1230

• Amarillo, Tx
  • Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »
Also Eloisa James - although I think hers vary quite a bit (I hated Desperate Duchesses, which I read because people rave about it.....)

Just finished reading Desperate Duchesses and I definitely have mixed feelings about it.  I haven't decided whether I'm going to continue with this series.  Not really interested in multiple story lines.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
Crebel, I've been wanting to find a Kathleen Woodwiss for a while! Thanks for the reminder.

Atunah, bundles? Uh oh, something else new for me to look for!

Kathy, I've never read SL's Rogue's Reform books, but like I said earlier, I loved her Cynster novels. I especially enjoyed seeing some of the characters grow up during the series.

Grace, I'm sorry to hear that. I've not read Eloisa James,but everything I've ever read about her says she's so nice.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
I would seriously suggest the works of our resident author Margaret Lake (Gertie Kindle here).

You would start with Ariana's Pride

Go on to Catherine and The Captain

This must be a good time and place to tell all that I love this book.

Gertie is one of my favorite authors, so I am predisposed to like her work.
This is a book of short stories and novelettes. Gertie manages to evoke a "feeling" that is just right.   

The stories include:
Sweet Savage Charity - it reminds us what a woman's lot was in the days of the Puritan settlements in the New World.  And we meet Charity, who you are just going to love.

Only In My Dreams - you can't help but like Delia - trust me.

Of Love And War - Set in the NJ shore perhaps in WW2. You cannot get more "real" than this.  And with a surprise ending that will make everyone happy.

A Slice of Life - Now I thought that Delia was my favorite Margaret Lake short fiction character.  But now it is Gracie.  I would love to describe her change from shy to not-shy.  And why.  But that is what the story is about.  Ms. Lake has crafted another delightful person. 

Just sayin.....

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Grace Elliot

• London
  • Grace Elliot - Fall in Love with History
    • View Profile
    • Grace Elliot- Fall in Love with History.
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »
Wait, there are historical bundles on kindle other than the Harlequin sets? I'll have to check.
I can't really read paperbacks anymore because of my eyes so it has to be in e format now.  :(

I read Outlander up to book 4 and I am not sure if I want to continue now. I wish I had stopped after 3. I really do. First one is awesome though.

I read the first Outlander book, loved it, but stopped at that. It was almost too much detail - I couldnt think how poor beaten up Jamie could possibly take any more punishment in further books after he'd been flogged repeatedly, had fingers stitched back on et.c - I was also a bit disappointed that Ms Gabaldon was so obviously setting things up for a sequel...and then another....

Fall in Love with History
Grace Elliot | Blog | Google Plus | Facebook

Offline Sarah Woodbury

• Oregon
    • View Profile
    • Sarah Woodbury, Author of Historical Fiction and Fantasy Novels
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2011, 11:36:28 AM »
I have read every one of Amanda Quick's books.  I like Jayne Anne Krenz in any form, but her historicals are the best, I think.

I like Mary Balogh and Stephanie Laurens too. 

Outlander was great, but I struggled with the other ones.  Every bad thing that could ever happen to a family did.

Sarah Woodbury | Webpage | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
Geoffthomas, I've never heard of Margaret Lake, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the warning, Grace. Oh, I don't like flogging. I just can't read that or watch it.

Sarah, I've never read JAK, but saw her speak once. So many new books and authors on my TBR list!!!!

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
    • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2011, 12:13:12 PM »
I would seriously suggest the works of our resident author Margaret Lake (Gertie Kindle here).

You would start with Ariana's Pride

Go on to Catherine and The Captain

This must be a good time and place to tell all that I love this book.

Gertie is one of my favorite authors, so I am predisposed to like her work.
This is a book of short stories and novelettes. Gertie manages to evoke a "feeling" that is just right.   

The stories include:
Sweet Savage Charity - it reminds us what a woman's lot was in the days of the Puritan settlements in the New World.  And we meet Charity, who you are just going to love.

Only In My Dreams - you can't help but like Delia - trust me.

Of Love And War - Set in the NJ shore perhaps in WW2. You cannot get more "real" than this.  And with a surprise ending that will make everyone happy.

A Slice of Life - Now I thought that Delia was my favorite Margaret Lake short fiction character.  But now it is Gracie.  I would love to describe her change from shy to not-shy.  And why.  But that is what the story is about.  Ms. Lake has crafted another delightful person. 

Just sayin.....

I second her work! I own every single on of her works and love them! I will continue to read them and buy them.

I love Historical romance but not the cheesy kind, I like Deanna Raybourn, Julie Klassen, Deanna Gist, Margaret Lake, Lori copeland...I haven't really read any other authors in the genre. A lot of their covers look like cheesy romance novels so I tend to avoid them.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2011, 01:17:55 PM »
I can't say I have come across much of anything I would consider Cheesy. As to the covers, I love them all.  ;D

I look at the covers over the years as more of a cult item. The progression of them just like the progression of the womans movement. When it was finally ok for woman to be sexual beings and oh wow, we finally get to look at a male chest. Omeegawd  :D For me its all part of pop culture in a way. Like old movie posters. Some of those covers are works of art, in their own way.

Funny thing is I got a box of used romance novels from Amazon since they aren't for sale on ebook and I couldn't find a copy on the darknet either (Yes, I do that for out of print stuff). I can't really read them because of my eyes, but I finally have in my hand my very first Fabio cover. Yep, never had one  :D.

So I showed it to my hubby and he was, thats Fabio. Bingo  :D. He says, cheesy. So I laugh and grab some of his Sci fi Novels he likes to read like Heinlein and held it up to his face and ask him, "you really want to talk to me about cheesy? Really?"  :D

He had nothing to say then.

I stand up and am proud of all covers, cheesy or not. Because I think a lot of the stigma is because they are on "woman's" books. There is a huge hunk of cheese to had on whats considered "manly" books. But nobody makes fun of them.

Anyway, thats my little cover rant  ;D. The cover also does not always represent the inside.

I actually read Margaret Lakes first 2 books. I liked them a lot. I found them to fit in right with stuff I liked on my list, some with and some without cheesy covers. Its all the same with me.  ;D

And I am putting my Fabio proudly on my shelf, right next to Heinlein  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:19:57 PM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »
I read Outlander up to book 4 and I am not sure if I want to continue now. I wish I had stopped after 3. I really do. First one is awesome though.

I absolutely agree with you on that, Atunah. I reread the first Outlander every year, but she should have stopped after #3

If anyone is interested, we did a book club for the entire Outlander series and it's still available if you'd like to browse through it.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »
I saw that, Gertie, I will check out that thread.

Atunah, I agree there's a certain belief about book covers that doesn't always hold.

MLPMom, I will definitely check out Ms Lake's books.

I'll be honest, I used to only buy books with cute covers (IN ALL GENRES), but branched out the more I read.

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »
Thanks for the rec on Margaret Lake's books.  I've been eyeing them off for a while but I'll definitely bump them to the top of my TBR pile.

I also only read the first Outlander (called Cross Stitch here in Australia) and left it at that.  It was a bit like eating very rich chocolate - I loved it while I was consuming it but couldn't stomach any more by the time I'd finished  ;D

I adore Deanna Raybourn and Amanda Quick.  They both have excellent plots mixed in with the romance, something I find most traditionally published historical romance is lacking these days.
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Julia444

• View Profile
    • Julia Buckley
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
I don't read them as much any more, but back in the early 80s I was a big fan of Jane Aiken Hodge and Joan Aiken.  (Not sure if they were related, although I know Joan was the daughter of the poet Conrad Aiken).

They both wrote great historical romances.

Julia

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
I'll have to pick up a AQ, CJ, thanks.

Also, Julia, I wonder if they're the same person. Not sure those name could be a coincidence!

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
I'm trying to think of historical romance covers I'd consider cheesy but can't really come up with anything. Most of the authors mentioned in this thread have pretty tame covers looking at the covers on the AAR list.

Here are the covers from some of my favorite historical romances including the very first HR I read, Whitney My Love:

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2011, 06:06:09 AM »
Chipotle, I love these covers!  And have read three of these books...Loved all of them!!!!

Offline jabeard

• View Profile
    • J. A. Beard's Unnecessary Musings
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2011, 06:14:18 AM »
I've purchased more than a few boxes of historical romance from ebay. A lot of them are slightly older. You do get the occasion cheesy cover, though, honestly, I feel like book covers, in general, that are older tend to seem cheesier. Superior modern graphic design or maybe just I'm more comfortable with what I see nowadays.

Re: Fabio

I used a Fabio reference the other day in a conversation and the person had no idea who I was talking about. I feel so old.

J.A. Beard | author website | facebook

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
My favorite Jude Deveraux are The Heiress and Wishes. I also like Amanda Quick which reminds me I have a couple on my K that need to be read.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline cork_dork_mom

• I read therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
I'm also a HUGE fan of historical romances. I prefer the 19th century English settings and the steamier the better  ;)

I've recently discovered Gaelen Foley and I'm quite surprised how good her stories are. Lots of intrigue, light on the fluff.

Diana Gabaldon is one of my favorite authors but her books have become more of an event. I have the last one sitting on my shelf but haven't had the stamina to start it!

Read an Allie MacKay book that sounded really good. Time travel and men in kilts, always a good combo but I was sorely disappointed. No depth and the romantic connection was lame.

Does anyone know of any time travel romances?

I'm glad this thread is here - I can check back to see what's new & what I've missed.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »
I have 77 Time Travel romances listed on my Goodreads shelf here

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4129885-atunah?shelf=time-travel

I haven't read them all yet, but I love love time travel stuff.

The thing about Outlander is that I started really liking Jamie. I always liked him way more than Claire and without me liking Jamie so much, I wouldn't have been able to stand Claire. I just don't find her likeable as a stand alone character. Thats just me I guess. So Galbaldon started chipping away at my love for Jamie I think it was in book 3. I wont say why as I don't like giving spoilers. But it was really a combination of stuff. Chip chip away.
 Then in Book 4 for me I just stopped my love for Jamie. Not sure exactly when it happened, but something changed for me and I just didn't care anymore. So of course that meant I started to detest Claire too, and don't get me started at the rest of the gang.  :D

So for me I wished I had stopped so I could still like Jamie the way I did. I cannot un read in my brain so I can't undo that feeling now, even if I do re read the first. Oh well.

I been in a bad mood this morning. I am going through my RT magazine and making a list of upcoming releases in Historical Romance and see what I can pre order. I am just so disappointed at the prices of these books. I like to read things like the new Balogh and stuff, but its 12.99 on pre order. Others I find are over 9 dollars and most start at 7.99. All that plus the tax.
I try to find some by publisher like Zebra which have much more reasonable priced books, but a lot of my favorite authors are with the big 6.  :(
So instead of pre order I just added them to my goodreads shelf for up coming releases. I ended up basically pre ordering 3 books from Zebra for the price of one book from one of the big ones.

Just makes me sad.  :( And there are a lot of releases coming up. *sigh.
Its still fun to look through the magazine though. My first magazine subscription in years  ;D. I finally get to see some of the covers in color  :D

I just like that they have a list in the back sorted by publishers to list what is up coming in the next months.

I did notice the Historical section seems to get smaller and the paranormal and suspense and such is getting bigger. I hope that is not a growing trend. I NEED my historicals.

I did pre order The Soldier by Grace Burrowes as I liked "Heir" so much. I recommend the Heir. It was interesting to also get the Hero's thoughts for a change.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:44:18 AM by Atunah »

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
JA, they didn't know who Fabio was? I thought everyone new who Fabio was (does that make me old too!  LOL.)

Cork-Dork Mom, I'm trying to think of any time-travel I've read...can't think of anything right now. Glad you found the thread!

Sorry for your sadness, Atunah! Hope you enjoy the books you bought!

Offline Teresa Burrell

• San Diego, California
  • Teresa Burrell - Author, Attorney, Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Home of The Advocate Series
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »
If I told you my two favorite books when I was a kid were, Gone With the Wind, and Wuthering Heights, what would you recommend in today's market? It's been a while since I read a good historical romance. Teresa

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
Well technically in todays world, they wouldn't be called a romance, but tragic love story or something like that. Historical Fiction also maybe?

Since I don't read much of those, I am not sure who writes like that today, especially in historicals.
I kind of have to have my Happy endings  ;D

For some reason when I read classics though I don't mind the non HEA as much. Maybe its because they are classics so I look at them differently.

Offline Cynthia Justlin

• View Profile
    • Cynthia Justlin - Romantic Suspense Author
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
Does anyone know of any time travel romances?

I LOVE Lynn Kurland's time travel romances. Well...I pretty much love anything by Lynn Kurland. She's been one of my favorite authors for years and years.

Erin Quinn has a really wonderful celtic trilogy (Haunting Beauty, Haunting Warrior, Haunting Desire) that's part time-travel part magick...just completely awesome...

I've heard good things about Gwyn Cready (her first book was called Tumbling Through Time, I think)...but I haven't read her, so, I'm not sure what they're like.

And then of course there's the classics from Jude Deveraux, which are still some of my absolute favorite romances years and years after I've read them: A Knight in Shining Armor, Remembrance, Legend.

Offline Teresa Burrell

• San Diego, California
  • Teresa Burrell - Author, Attorney, Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Home of The Advocate Series
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
That's true they wouldn't be classified as romance today, but they were certainly some great love stories. Thanks for the input.

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »
Teresa Burrell, Gone with the Wind was my favorite book growing up as well! Rhett Butler is right up there with Derek Craven from Lisa Kleypas' Dreaming of You as my favorite hero.

I just finished Slightly Tempted, #4 in the the Mary Balogh Bedwyn family series, and it reminded me a bit of Gone with the Wind. Most of the book takes place in Brussels during the battle of Waterloo. It wasn't my fave in the Bedwyn series but the historical stuff was great. Plus I learned that the British troops referred to Napoleon as "Boney". :)

If you liked Heathcliff then you might also like another tortured hero, Lord Ian, who has Asperger's Disease. I think this was the most unusual romance I've ever read plus it includes some suspense and is as steamy as the cover represents. It made #10 in the reader voting of the Top Romances of All Time by AAR.

I haven't read Flowers from the Storm yet but I'm looking forward to it. It is #6 in the AAR poll and the hero
was in a mental asylum as the result of a stroke. I'm waiting to read it until I need a book with an emotional punch.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:05:54 PM by chipotle »