Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 308600 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
Oh yes, definitely great love stories. I just don't think they make them like that anymore today, like everything else  ;D

They had that Gothic feel to them that you just don't see much anymore. At least I haven't.

I see Jude Deveraux mentioned. Maybe one day I can forgive her for what she did in A knight and shining armour, but I am not there yet.  :D. Just don't trust her now. Maybe down the line. Maybe.

I read 2 of Lynn Kurland. Now that I know what to expect, I'll read more. But the slamming of the bedroom door loudly in my face was a bit, ummm wait  :D. I did like A Dance Through time, but didn't like Another Chance to Dream, which wasn't a Time travel though. I found that one too dreary.
I can't really remember anything about A Dance through time, but on my list I gave it an A, so it must have been good  :D.
Its been a while and I read a lot so I forget.

For some reason Lady Isabella's... is taking me a while to read. Not sure if its me and I am worn out, or if its the book. Lord Ian I plowed through. This is a bit more neutral.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Teresa Burrell

• San Diego, California
  • Teresa Burrell - Author, Attorney, Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Home of The Advocate Series
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
Thanks, Chipotle. I'll try Slightly Tempted. I know if I read Gone With the Wind for the first time today I would love it. I'm not so sure about Wuthering Heights. I truly enjoyed it back then, but the more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure it would bring me as much pleasure today. T

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
I never read as a child, not even the books we had to read in school! I missed out on so much!

Teresa...thanks for reminding me of Gone With the Wind and WH...although, I didn't read WH in school and we were supposed to! But I agree, I don't think of those as romances.

Cynthia, I've heard of Lynn Kurland...I will have to check her out!

Atunah, I think all books are different...each with their own unique feel...some easy to read, others not so much! I used to really not like actors who were in exceptional in an evil role, then I came to understand they were great actors...I wonder if I'll feel that way about books I didn't particularly care for now when I read them??? lol.

Chipolte...Derek is one of my favs too!

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
No one has mentioned Karen Marie Moning and her Highlander series. There's a lot of time travel and parts of the books take place in the past. I read three of them. Kiss of the Highlander, Dark Highlander and Immortal Highlander. They got to be same ole' same ole' for me and I never read any more of them.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2011, 07:11:22 PM »
Thanks, Margaret/Gertie! I have kinda felt that way with some authors, but there are a select few who never bore me. Not sure why that is...whether I like their writing so much, or they just speak to me. You know what I mean?

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »
Anyone have historicals in your TBR pile? I have Julia Quinn's new one coming out soon.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »
You mean like upcoming stuff? I made a shelf on Goodreads when I see stuff that is released in the next few months. Then for a few authors if the price is right on Amazon and there is a pre order, I go ahead and do that. Unfortunately, I been doing this less and less and the prices are getting too high to take that chance for auto pre order.

I did add Quinn's new one to my list and its about the Smythe, smith whatever they called sisters I think.  ;D. I wont pre order Quinn anymore, I didn't like the last 2 of her I read as much so I will wait until more reviews are in. Romantic times gave it 3 stars. I miss her wit from the early Bridgerton novels.

I noticed a few brand new authors coming out too this spring/summer so I hope there is some good stuff there.

Loretta Chase is coming with a new one too, a start to a new series. I liked the stuff I read from her so far.
I will also get the 4th in the Wicked House of Rohan by Anne Stuart, I read the other ones. No pre order for Kindle yet or I would have gotten it. Publishers need to get on the ball there and put that pre order up right along with the paperback pre order.

Also waiting on the Kindle pre order for Judith James upcoming The King's Courtesan. She is one of my new favorite authors. Loved Broken Wing and Highland Rebel. HR has one of the best Hero's ever. *sigh.

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
    • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:15 AM »
Shannon Hale also does historical type fiction for YA. I have read Goose Girl by her and it was pretty good. I have a few others of hers that are in my TBR pile.

I read Lori Copeland recently as well and I like her book The Yellow Rose Bride.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
Tess St. John, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was fascinated by Derek Craven! :)

Here are the historical romances on my TBR pile. First the library ebooks on my nook:

And some of the HRs waiting for me on my Kindle:

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »
Born in the Drainpipe Craven?  ;D. He is still my number one Hero, if I had such a list. Once one reads that book, you start measuring all others by it, especially the Heroes. *sigh

And look at all those pretty colorful covers. No other genre gives me fuzzies like that just looking at covers.

I just checked and those books you got from your library are not available at mine  :(. They only have a few Kleypas as Audiobooks which I can't do. I am no good at listening to books. Not since I was a child that is where I did it a lot. How odd.

My library seems to have a decent amount of ebooks, but not many good romance novels. Mostly contempo stuff and suspense and chick lit. None of those appeal much to me.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
Chipolte...Someone to watch over me is an older one of Lisa's she's re-released...I really liked that book!

Atanah...I agree...no covers excite me as much as the historical covers!

Derek was just so flawed...so soiled and he knew it!!  Love a man who knows who and what he is...no matter what that may be. I even enjoyed seeing him in the short call Somewhere My Hero (not sure if that's the right title) where his daughter was marrying Dr. Lindley (another yummy man). Sorry I could talk for hours about her men. I said somewhere...If a gun was to my head I would have to say CAM was my favorite, but I love all of them!

Offline Miriam Minger

• View Profile
    • Walker Publishing
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
Yes, I'm an ultimate historical romance fan because I've written 10 of them!  :)  I started reading historical romance novels on the beach on summer break from school and haven't stopped since then.  One of my all-time favorites:  Island of the Swans by Ciji Ware.  Thanks so much to all of you for being so passionate about historical romance!!

Miriam Minger
With Miriam Minger, youre assured of a good read!~Heartland Critiques

Website Facebook Amazon US Amazon UK

Offline Dan McGirt

• Atlanta, Georgia, USA
  • Dan McGirt, Author of Hero Wanted
    • View Profile
    • Jason Cosmo Update
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »
I'm not a romance reader in general, but I am a fan of Andrea Parnell's historical romances. Her first two books were "sexy gothics" : Dark Splendor and Whispers at Midnight. Both were set in colonial America (mid to late 1700s), in Georgia and Virginia respectively. First published by NAL/Onyx in the 1980s -- but that doesn't really matter for a historical, does it?  :) She's releasing them as ebooks now. I've linked to the Smashwords editions. They'll be in Kindle Store too in a few weeks.

Dark Splendor: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/45698
Whispers at Midnight: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/45911

Both very compelling stories, lots of intrigue ... and I'd say that even if Andrea Parnell wasn't [full disclosure ;D] my mother! Mom's excited to have her books available to readers again, so if you enjoy historicals/gothics, please take a look!
Dan McGirt
Author Extraordinaire

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »
Derek was just so flawed...so soiled and he knew it!!  Love a man who knows who and what he is...no matter what that may be. I even enjoyed seeing him in the short call Somewhere My Hero (not sure if that's the right title) where his daughter was marrying Dr. Lindley (another yummy man). Sorry I could talk for hours about her men. I said somewhere...If a gun was to my head I would have to say CAM was my favorite, but I love all of them!

And the heroine (eek, can't recall her name right now) was PERFECT for him.  Opposites on so many levels but so right for each other deep down.  I love that book too.
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
Thanks, Miriam...Ciji Ware, I will check her out and congrats on 10 books!  Wow.

Dan, Andrea Parnell is your mom, how nice...thanks for chiming in. I will look into her books!

CJ...I think her name was Sara...is that right?  I always thought it was poetic how he called her an angel and he was so much like a devil!

Offline Jud

• View Profile
    • Judith Leger / L.J. Leger
Re: good authors
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »
Mary Balogh, Julia Quinn, and Eloisa James are consistently entertaining. Johanna Lindsey's historicals are good. Victoria Alexander is fine. Georgette Heyer has some good ones, I really liked "Cotillion". Don't forget Victoria Holt.

I love all of those.  I cut my teeth on Rosemary Rogers and Katherine Woodweiss.  Next came Johanna's and Mary Balogh.  There's so many great historical authors.

I adore Julia Quinn's. 

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
I really liked Cam Rohan (Mine Till Morning) and his former employer Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent (Devil in Winter) but there is no one like Derek Craven (Dreaming of You). Born in a drainpipe, worked as a chimney sweep and grave robber as a child and pulled himself out of the gutter (or should I say drainpipe LOL) with no help from anyone. Then an innocent country miss/novelist (Sara Fielding - I looked it up :))comes wandering along and ... saves his life! I just loved that book and I agree, they were perfect for each other.

Dreaming of You made number two of all time historical romances on the AAR list but personally I think it should be number one. Now I'm off to find that short story that features Derek.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »
I finally found the story with Craven's daughter. Its in here along with 2 others.

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
Jud, I've never heard of Rosemary Rogers, thanks for mentioning her.

Chipolte...I know what you mean--I love St. Vincent (absolutely loved him--by far my favorite of the Wallflower series).

Atunah, thanks, that's the book! Oh, and Julia Quinn's story in that book is about Belle's brother's HEA!  Loved that story too!

I swear I could talk about historicals all the time! I need to broaden my reading spectrum too, and read some of these everyone has suggested. I only need 100 more hours a day!

Oh and I don't think anyone has mentioned Teresa Medeiros...I loved Yours Until Dawn and really liked After Midnight and The Vampire Who Loved Me.

Offline cork_dork_mom

• I read therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »
Thanks for the link! I sure hope I get a big Amazong gift card for my birthday cause I found A LOT that I NEED  ;)

I so love historical romances - watched the Royal Wedding today and felt transported back in time.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »
I stayed up all night to watch the wedding, and the horses, the uniforms, the dresses, the hats  :D. Splendid.

Now I can't go to sleep during the day.  :o

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
Oh, I didn't get to watch any of the wedding...here I go looking on line for snippets!!! Thanks for the reminders, ladies.

Offline Adria Townsend

• Home Sweet Stranger under the name Adria Townsend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
Nice to see how many replies are here.  The historical romance thread over on Amazon is not very active.  I guess we're all out reading...
Home Sweet Stranger under the name Adria Townsend--full-length contemporary romance and To Conquer the Heart of a King under the name J. S. Laurenz--short historical romance
J. S. Laurenz | Dime Store Cowgrrl Blog

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2011, 06:30:24 PM »
JS, I don't know what thread you're talking about on Amazon? I did join some Goodreads threads!

Is anyone here a Sabrina Jeffries fan? I read one book and liked it, but didn't all in love with it...Just wondering if I'm missing out on some of her other books.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2011, 06:38:11 PM »
I had to check my spread sheet printout, I read 3 of Sabrina Jeffries and marked them as A-B's so I must have liked them  ;D

Looks like I read the first in 3 different series, The Pirate Lord, Never Seduce a Scroundrel, The Truth about Lord Stoneville.

I would be lost without my alphabetical list I read so many books. I also just recently discovered Goodreads and its a huge help to keep all books read and TBR in order. But I still like to have my printout for quick checking.

I think she is probably talking about the Historical Romance forum on Amazon, its much more quiet then the Romance Forum. There is lots of talk about historicals on the regular romance forum so its just in one place there. I found some crazy interesting recommendations there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:39:50 PM by Atunah »